How do I ensure my accident has been properly reported and recorded?

13 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

At the start of the claims process, personal injury solicitors are interested in being able to evaluate your claim and reach a value on your compensation settlement. To do this they need evidence, and the first key piece of evidence is that the accident has been properly reported and recored. The 3rd party, the people you hold responsible for your injuries, must have been notified of the accident and its cause.

Who have you told about your accident, its cause and your injuries?

Your claim will be made on the basis of an injury and how that affects your life, and it will be made against a 3rd party (and their insurers) on the grounds that you hold them liable.  Accidents happen, hazardous things become apparent, but sometimes even the most thorough of 3rd party organisations miss them. They do require the help of joe public to be notified about things that they miss – especially if they are in public places.

The fact that an injury has occurred and treatment from a medical professional has been received, isn’t always enough for a claim to succeed. There has to be evidence and there has to be proof that an accident happened the way the claimant says it happened. For example, if you have a slip on a wet floor in a shop, you could potentially sue them if you were injured as a result and they had not taken adequate steps to warn you of the hazard (our old friend the yellow hazard sign!). However, if you were to simply get up and leave the store without reporting the matter and entering it in an accident book, you could cause your future claim a problem. When your solicitor contacts them about your claim, they would be able to show you hadn’t reported anything and that their accident book had no record of the incident. This could lead to a judge throwing your claim out on the grounds that it could not be proven that the injury was caused on the premises of the 3rd party.

It is vital to always ensure that any accident (even if there is no immediate injury obvious) is always recorded in an accident book.  You should ensure that you control what is written in the book and ask to read it before it is signed by any person authorised to sign the record.

If there is no accident book, how do you report the accident?

If the accident happened at work, there is a legal requirement for injuries of a certain severity to be recorded so you should have access to an accident book of some kind. If your employer refuses to record your injury, won’t let you use or see the accident book, this is not good practise and potentially illegal.

If you have had an accident in a public area or on the road – say a trip on a pavement, or in a non-fault car accident – where there is no accident book, it is still possible and important to report your accident, the injuries and the details of the incident to relevant parties.

Firstly, if you trip or fall on a dis-repaired section of footpath, you should ALWAYS report it to the relevant local authority. Most councils refer to the department responsible for footpath maintenance as the Highways Department. You should call the relevant council and notify them of the details of your accident. They will then be ‘on notice’ that an incident has occurred and hopefully repair or remove any hazard. They will usually send out a claim form or give you the details of their insurers. However, we advise that it is best not to contact the insurers directly or fill in the form and instead, employ the services of a No Win No Fee Claims Company and their Solicitors. It is our view that you will get a better settlement and certainly be exposed to less hassle (and no costs!) by doing so.

If you have been injured in a car accident, you should always notify the insurers of the vehicle you believe to be responsible for the incident.  Even if you don’t intend to claim on your insurance, you should report the incident. Then the insurers will be aware of the matter and on notice that a claim may follow. It can then not be argued that you were not present in the incident or that you had failed to notify any interested parties.

Report and report again

The basic mantra of this particular piece of claim information is that it is VITAL to report the details of your accident to anyone worthy of being made aware. Always tell the hospital or GP exactly how you were injured so that your medical records match any potential claim made and also tell the council, insurers, accident books, associations etc. The more ‘witnesses’ you have and records, the easier it will be to succeed with your claim.

13 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Penelope

    My accident at work was not reported correctly.

    • Ian Morris

      Have you informed the employer of the discrepancies in their report and reality of the incident? If not, you should do so in writing at the earliest opportunity.

  2. Rich

    I have just received my accident report and managers report, false information , and lied about a witness to say I said this false information, ie my fault, the accident report was filled in with someone completely different, when I reported the accident I was informed that accident form on the computer will be completed later by the same manager that lied. The manager and the false witness did not do the accident report with me and not present
    . The manager have had other previous reports incorrect, missing and misinterpreted. When challenged she used HR to cover.
    I am still on sick leave because of this injury and added stress.This have lost my pay benefits and trust in my manager and company. Could this jeopardize a claim and how can I return to work with this company after these lies about me

    • Ian Morris

      The false information contained in the accident report could jeopardise your claim if it is accepted as fact. To this end, you need to challenge the accuracy of the report IMMEDIATELY and IN WRITING to the employer. You need to inform them of the misleading information and provide a correct statement of fact to them regarding the accident and what was said to you and by whom it was said.

      If you would like help making your claim, please call us on 01225430285.

  3. Sipho Bhengu

    When must an employee report injury on duty, is it on the same day or any day thereafter?

    • Ian Morris

      An accident at work should be reported and recorded within an accident book at the earliest opportunity. Ideally, an accident should be recorded at the time of the incident. If that is not possible, it should be recorded as soon as possible.

  4. gabriel

    I recently had a work injury, when it happened our first aider didn’t fill in the accident book. I was in stage of panic and couldn’t think clearly at that moment, when i was returning from hospital few hours later i have txt him and said he filled it for me. My question is, shouldn’t there be my signature to make it valid. Also isn’t it his fault that he didn’t fill one in at the time of injury. Also i have doubts that he was qualified First aider. How can i find out whether his action were legit, and if i find that they missed something out of accident book, can i change it accordingly?

    • Ian Morris

      Essentially, there is nothing wrong with a colleague or appointed employee completing an accident book on behalf of someone else. However, by having the details of an accident recorded by someone other than the injured party, or not in the injured parties presence and not signed by the injured party, there is a heightened risk of an inaccurate report being filed.

      In your case, it would seem sensible to write to your employer – to whoever has responsibility for accident book records – to advise that you have never seen what was written and were not present when the incident was recorded. You could outline in your own words, your version of the incident details and request to see a copy of the accident book entry.

      You should retain a copy of your letter to protect your interests in the future in case there is ever a claim for accident at work compensation and the accident book entry provided by the employer is incorrect and the details within it were to weaken any claim you were to make.

      If you would like to discuss how we can help you with a claim for compensation or to find out more about your rights after an accident at work, please call us on 01225430285 or use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website.

  5. David

    I had a accident at a pub where I fell down some stairs that didn’t have a hand rail, I went to hospital because of my injuries, it was about 5 years ago and the landlord at time probably did not record it, could I still claim?

    • Ian Morris

      No, 5 years since the date of your accident would leave you statute barred and unable to claim. UK personal injury compensation claims must be made within 3 years of the date of an accident.

  6. Ian Morris


    I am not suitably qualified to offer advice/guidance on the issue you raise. This would seem to be a Police/Child Protection matter and therefore subject to criminal law, rather than civil law.

    In the UK, to beat or hit a child is not ok and can lead to serious repercussions if dealt with by the Police and Social Services.

  7. Julie safranauskas

    I had a trip on Sunday in a public house which resulted in me having 5 stiches in my face , I rang the pub on wed 12 Oct to ask if it had been recorded in the accident book. They told me they didn’t know and would ring me back. Think that’s a bit strange as the ambulance took me from the premises and they knew about the accident when I phoned. Can I claim if they failed to record it?

    • Ian Morris


      Thank you for letting us know about your tripping accident. You raise a couple of important issues that can affect the outcome of claims for personal injury compensation.

      Firstly, you mention the recording of the accident by the Public House and whether or not they have an accident book and if they have used it in your case. You have done the right thing in contacting them to see if they have recorded it. In your case, if they have NOT recorded it, I don’t think it would really make too much difference to the claim as there will be ambulance records in place proving that you were injured at the premises in question and these notes will also confirm and describe the injury (and cause) in full. An accident book record simply proves that an accident happened in a certain location and describes the injuries and cause of the accident. In claims for personal injury compensation, an accident book is a useful piece of evidence that a solicitor will use to prove an accident happened where it is claimed to have happened and that the injuries being claimed for were caused at that time. In your case, ambulance records provide this proof.

      The second issue you raise is whether or not you can claim. The accident book record or possible lack of it will not prevent you from claiming. In your case, whether or not you can make a claim for compensation will depend on the cause of your accident and whether the accident happened as a result of the negligence of the Public House or not. You mention that you tripped, so in your case it is what caused you to trip and fall that matters. For example, if there was something sticking up on the floor, or a hole in the floor that caused you to trip, you would have a very good prospect of succeeding with a claim. If however, you simply tripped due to nothing more than a misplaced step or you caught your foot on a fixed item (like a chair etc) you would most likely struggle to claim successfully.

      I think that the wisest course of action would be for us to talk so that we can get to the bottom of what happened and then advise you as to whether or not you have a sufficiently strong claim to enable us to proceed for you. Please call us on 01225430285. We can then discuss things and offer you assistance accordingly.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.