How employers should handle safety, accidents at work and claims for compensation


Employers have responsibilities when one of their staff members is injured in an accident at work. Regardless of the accident specifics or severity of injury, all employers should have a pre-planned policy that is published, known of by key staff members and put in to place whenever the worst happens and a staff member has an accident in the workplace. It doesn’t matter if the accident seems innocuous – like a slip on a wet floor at work or if there is a very serious accident when staff members suffer critical injuries, the way a company handles accidents should always be the same.

Of course, in cases of accidents that involve serious injuries or even death, there will be additional responsibilities on an employer where the ‘Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013′ requirements become a mandatory responsibility. This process is known as RIDDOR and ALL employers must adhere to the requirements to avoid serious breaches of health and safety law. Indeed, it may be a criminal matter if company managers and senior staff to fail to comply with the requirements of RIDDOR after an accident in the workplace.

Whilst some accidents can not be foreseen or prevented, the majority of accident at work compensation claims tend to involve scenarios that could and should have been avoided. Accidents at work happen when corners are cut, when staff members are not suitably trained and equipped and when there is no culture of personal responsibility and collective ownership. Claiming compensation after an accident at work is not a great outcome for either the injured employee or the employer. Although a successful claim for compensation after an accident at work can see an employee recover their losses and receive compensation for their injuries, all claimants would rather that they had never had their accident in the first place. Most will have concerns about making a claim for work accident compensation and whether it will affect their employer or job if they do.

Health and safety isn’t a bad thing

With this in mind, all employers should commence a process of reviewing the safety in their workplace, inspect working practices, machine safety and hold regular training and guidance sessions with their staff. Sadly, the phrase ‘health and safety’ is now used in a negative context. It’s almost as if health and safety is now a bad thing. This couldn’t be further from the truth. As a result of the strict health and safety in the workplace regulations, laws and practices within the UK, we have some of the safest workplaces in the world. We know it can seem a waste of time to learn how to properly pick up a box or how to set up your workstation, but making sure things are done properly, safely and correctly will actually save a business money. Reducing accidents reduces cost and enables staff to keep working. Therefore, if you are an employer, or responsible for a team of staff reporting to you, taking a few moments to read this article and then put in to practice what is listed below, is a no brainer.

Risk assessments – how to avoid accidents in the first place

Have you or has your business carried out a reasonable risk assessment for all activities involving staff members? If you haven’t you should. Make a list putting different activities in to groups of danger and then work from that. Risk assessments should be checked annually and amended if new practices are in place. They should be kept in a file, available for staff members and trainers to access and use.

From the assessment you do, you will be able to then identify areas of risk and take adequate precautions. This might include providing a hazard warning sign to staff that clean the floors, and training them to know that they are to place it near wet surfaces for colleagues to see. It could involve a dangerous piece of machinery, making sure that only trained staff use the machine and that regular servicing of the machine and its safety equipment are carried out and records kept.

There are many other things you can do to reduce the risk of an accident happening in the workplace:

  • Carry out risk assessments and then write guidance policies for each task of work
  • Check that the policies and risk assessments are relevant and update annually if need be
  • Carry out daily audits of the workplace. This could be a simple 1-page document listing each item a staff member should check in order to enable reporting of any potential hazards and enact repairs. This should include emergency exits, potential hazards such as torn carpets etc.
  • Display hazard warning signage
  • Provide first aid trained staff and first aid equipment
  • Provide a reporting system for staff to highlight hazards or risks of injury
  • Ensure all staff are suitably trained for their role and machinery that they are tasked with using.
  • Provide basic inductions and training for ALL new staff members regarding the workplace, areas of risk etc.
  • Provide an accident book and ensure that staff understand how to access the same and make reports of accidents and injuries sustained at work to the right people

If you are an employee and think that your company or employer is not doing all that they can to make your workplace as safe as possible, please show them the above. It’s not exhaustive, but it should help your employer benchmark their work practices regarding handling an accident at work and a claim made for compensation.

If an employee is injured in an accident at work, they have legal rights, including being able to make a claim for injury compensation against their employer. Solicitors will pursue claims for personal injury compensation after an accident at work on a no win no fee basis. As an employer, you should refer any claim made to you to your employers liability insurance provider. In the main, they will handle things for you much as the personal injury compensation solicitor will be handling things for the claimant. You should be able to provide copies of machine servicing reports, procedure policies and accident book records. One thing an employer should never do after an accident at work is to try to ignore the claim.

If you have been injured in an accident at work and want to make a claim for personal injury compensation, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, we can call you back. We know your rights and can help you to get the justice you deserve.

58 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

  1. I was involved in a bike incident during the course of work. I made a claim via solicitor against drivers. Can I also claim for the same incident against my employer?

    Secondly, can an employee claim going to and from work, if involved in an accident?

    • In the scenario you describe, it is unlikely that you can hold your employer liable for this accident. If you were knocked from the bike by a motorist or other vehicle driver, any claim will be made against them as they are the liable party. Certainly, you cannot make 2 separate claims for the same incident.

      If cycling is part of your working role, your employer would be expected to risk assess your work and ensure that you are provided with adequate training and equipment to enable you to work safely.

  2. Around a month ago I was involved in a accident at work where my left thumb was fractured in 3 places resulting in a operation needing done. After there supposed investigation which I was suspended throughout they dismissed me on the grounds of gross misconduct after me telling them the way I used machine was the way I had been trained is this right? There was also no first aider on scene and I waited a good 30 mins for initial first aid. AT no point after the accident did I have any face to face meetings with management etc and I was dismissed 2 weeks after it by email.

    • There are two possible legal issues for you to look in to here. Firstly, personal injury and a possible claim for compensation – this is where we can help. If you were using a machine in accordance with training you were given by the employer and then suffered injury, you normally would struggle to succeed with a claim. However, given the apparent attitude of the employer to the way you were using the machine, there is a clear argument to be made that you were given inadequate, incorrect and misleading training. As such, with a serious thumb injury, making a claim for compensation against the employer would be fair and reasonable. We would like to help with this and need to speak with you further. Please use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website to send us some further details and your contact information. One of our expert staff can then call you to discuss this further and explain your rights regarding a claim for compensation after an accident at work.

      The 2nd issue you need help with is an employment law matter. That is not something that we are expert at and we would therefore not wish to advise you incorrectly. We would recommend that you make separate enquiries on your employment rights as soon as possible in order to ensure that your employer has acted correctly.

  3. Hi

    I have just received a solicitors letter claim for an employee who has left but had a minor fall whilst working and had allegedly soft tissue damage. We work in clients homes and she admitted that she knew a client had put plastic on the stairs and another member of staff almost fell but she didn’t report it. Where do we stand in regard to liability?

    • You could be liable if as an employer, you have not carried out an appropriate risk assessment for the premises that you instruct your staff to attend.

  4. Hi,i had an accident at work and broke my pelvis been off for 7 weeks now with full pay, the company hasnt asked for a sick note?.while ive been off ive been offered another job and am tempted to take it,they have told me i can start when im better.i was wondering would this hinder any claim i was to do against my employer in the future

    • Changing employers after an accident at work has absolutely no bearing on any claim for personal injury compensation.

      Before you do leave the employer, you should make sure that your accident has been properly recorded within their accident book and it would also be prudent to make sure that the employer has informed RIDDOR of the incident given the severity of your injury and lengthy period off work.

      We would be very happy to assist you in making a claim for compensation and invite you to call us on 01225430285 or use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website to take this further.

  5. Hi, a friend of mine had a work accident 8 months ago and lost her leg in it. The employer has been paying her regular salary since but it will stop at the end of January as they say she is well now ans she is not working anymore so she shouldn’t be paid. There is no position she could fill up there anymore as it is only heavy lifitng there. Can they fire her because she is not fit to hold a position there due to the accident? Thank you.

    • UK law would not require the employer to keep her job open for good. Given her good health now, it is right that the employer can seek to terminate her position – as long as they follow UK employment law – now that she is not fit to work for them.

      We would advise that she gets specialist employment law advice on this matter.

      We can of course assist with a claim for the initial loss of ability to work – the loss of her leg in an accident at work.

  6. I had a vehicle accident at work and my boss told all my staff members and showed them a video of the accident and mentioned my name to all my staff employees. Is this allowed as it’s made me fill embarrassed and really down about the situation

    • Whether or not your employer acted correctly would need to be established by an employment law specialist. Have you complained about their actions or taken out a grievance in this matter?

  7. Hello, I have an accident at work 4 weeks ago where while I was cleaning I’ve picked up a sticky ball paper off the desk where (I didn’t noticed there was a needle sticked to the paper) and I have stabbed my finger with it. The needle has been used to check blood sugar on someone and has been left on the desk. I had first aider. I have done accident report and then I went to hospital I’ve got blood taken and vaccinated. BUT my employer said it’s going to carry investigation to find out who left that used needle and it’s been one month and nothing has been done, feels like they want to brush it under the carpet. What should I do?

    • Under UK law, you would be entitled to claim compensation in this matter. A needle stick injury presents a high risk of blood carried infection being transmitted. Of course, hopefully in your case no such infection will be an issue but the stress and worry whilst you await the outcome of blood tests is something for which you can make a claim.

  8. An employee fell down a step and hit his head and back, the accident was investigated at the time this was three months ago and the member of staff went to A & E and took time off to rest his bruises. There was no blame established and was put down to undue care and attention by the employee. The employee has recently been dismissed under gross misconduct following our disciplinary process which has been ongoing for over a year, our disciplinery notes over this time have documented about the employees undue care and attention many times. We have now had a letter claiming against this three month old accident we are not surprised but wondering where to go with this?

    • You need to hand any letter of claim to your insurers and allow them and their experts to represent your interests. The investigation you mention in which the employee was found to be responsible for their own fall by way of undue care and attention may well be in your favour, but equally, it may be seen to be biased on the grounds that it is not independent if it were conducted by you/the employer.

      If the claim can successfully demonstrate negligence against the employer – insufficient training, hazardous steps etc the claim could yet succeed.

  9. I have broken my knee in a accident at work and now my company want to sack me for gross misconduct
    Myself and one other were putting a memorial headstone up in a cemetery and due to its proximity we were unable to use the electric sack truck in the normal way we usually do because there’s was kerb surround directly behind.
    So we made a decision to load the headstone from the front and lower it into position, although this is not a procedure we normally do there is no written rule not to.
    As we loaded the headstone in a forward motion with the sack truck it hit the wet cement and just went over knocking me off my feet and falling on me trapping my leg underneath and on top of the kerbs behind me resulting in me breaking my knee.
    They have informed me they are going to sack me and the other lad for gross misconduct – in breaking health and safety regulations.
    However, at the same time are offering me a redundancy payout instead and not firing the other lad.
    Something doesn’t add up to me – any advice would be great

    • Whilst you may well have worked in an unsafe manner, we feel that you could still pursue a claim against your employer – although you are likely to have to accept some contributory negligence. The fact that the employer HAS no written policy that has been breached does give possible cause for optimism with a claim against them.

      Given the nature of the working area there is also a possible failure of adequate risk assessment from the employer too.

      It would be wise to see what our specialist accident at work Solicitors have to say about your situation and we would therefore encourage you to make further contact with us so that we can take some further information and then present a detailed enquiry to an expert Solicitor for consideration. You can call us on 01225430285 or send your contact details to us via the ‘start your claim’ page on our website.

      On the issue of dismissal or redundancy, it would seem that you need some additional expert legal advice on an issue of employment law. As you can appreciate, employment law differs from personal injury law and as such we would recommend that you discuss that element of your enquiry with a suitably qualified expert employment law Solicitor.

  10. Hi, we have an employee who is trained in manual handling but decided to move a 30kg storage heater he pulled his back, however he didn’t report it for two days and then went sick.
    Should this be classed as Injury at work? or Industrial injury or because of the time delay in reporting treated as just sickness?

    • It should be treated as a workplace injury as the accident happened at work. In any record you make of this incident, it would be wise to note that it was not reported for 48 hours post injury and that the employee had been previously trained in manual handling.

      As long as you have accurate records of staff training and can provide evidence to show that the employee had been given training on safe lifting, you should not have any issues regarding any future liability.

  11. I work on the railway and was sent in to a steel mill to conduct a job I was neither trained for, nor supervised appropriately. During this role I ended up with a finger Locked in a rail wagon door, resulting in a fractured index finger. Taking prescribed medicine I ended up with feeling of depression and sadness. Am I in a position to claim?

    • You describe a clear case of employer negligence and as such, my initial view is that you have a valid claim to be pursued against your employer. The injury to your finger can be directly linked to a lack of training and supervision in a role that you were not ‘qualified’ to perform. As such, I think you should make a claim.

      We would be very happy to help you in this instance. If you would like to take it further, please use our ‘contact us’ function on the website so that we can call you to discuss this with you.

  12. Hi.
    I very recently had an accident at work. I was drilling a hole in a door handle when the drill bounced out and penetrated my hand. I informed my office an hour later that I had drilled into my hand but intended to finish my jobs for the day asap and then go and get my hand seen to. This was a bit foolish as I was in agony but I knew the company was short staffed and under pressure. I have since attended A and E and am waiting for an urgent appointment to have my hand operated on to see if I have damaged the tendon or nerve. I have lost the feeling in one finger and movement in the hand causes pain. This will be under general anaesthetic. I hadn’t been provided with PPE such as gloves, goggles and I had to push for them to provide steel toe cap boots. I am 90% sure I haven’t signed any paperwork stating that they will provide me with PPE. I carry out multiple tasks on a day to day basis providing maintenance on social housing. I have never seen any risk assessments relevant to specific tasks. I am going to have to take time off work on basic sap and the doctor has informed me that if I have damaged the tendon I will be off for 8 weeks.

    All though I initially thought this was just an accident and no one was to blame, i have began to wonder if I have a case? Thanks for your help

    • The employer should be ensuring that you are provided with the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) and that each job is correctly risk assessed to ensure that you are able to work as safely as possible.

      In this case it sounds as if your employer has exposed you to a risk of injury that would otherwise have been avoided if you had been given some puncture proof gloves. Therefore, it would be wise to further investigate your prospects of succeeding with a claim.

  13. I had an accident at work when I bent down to pick some rubbish up from the floor near to a machine. As I got back up, I hit my head on a sharp corner of the machine which cut my head. I was bleeding quite heavily. There were first aiders on site which did help me. I then had to make arrangements to get to the hospital myself which I thought the company would have a duty of care to help me with? Now on the accident form it says that if I had done better house keeping in the warehouse it would have been prevented! Also they did say the would put sponge around the Sharpe edges of the machine.

    • My initial view is that you have a good case for a claim against your employer here and that their comment on the accident book about good housekeeping is erroneous and irrelevant. The cause of your injury was the unprotected sharp corner of the machine and not housekeeping. If the corner of the machine had a guard or padding on it, you would not have sustained the injury.

      If you would like to make a claim for compensation we would be happy to help you with that. To start your claim, please call us on 01225430285 or use the ‘contact us’ option of our website so that we can call you.

  14. Simon
    I was reversed into at work by a vehicle whilst I was doing my job as a result I sustained a knee injury that is still on going a year on ,at the time I put in the accident book and reported it to the management.i have had some other health issues meaning I’ve had quite a lot of sick days I was worried that I would go onto ssp,I was advised by hr to look at put a personal injury claim in to cover any loss of earnings.Since then I have found out that the paperwork by my company hasn’t been filled out correctly the accident wasn’t reported to riddor and that they have back dated witness statements,it looks like I will have to have an operation on my knee to make it better ,I have been with my employer for more than ten years

    • The fact that you initially recorded the accident details correctly is important as you have done the right thing. The employer then losing the record or not recording it properly is out of your hands. You should certainly put in writing to the employer your thoughts on this and confirming what you recorded.

      That you were hit by a reversing vehicle at work would indicate that you have a strong claim for compensation – even with the lost accident book record. Have you already tried to pursue a claim against the employer or liable vehicle insurer? If not, please call us on 01225430285 or use our ‘start a claim’ page. We’d be very happy to further investigate your claim.

  15. Hi,

    I received forklift training today and the trainer informed us that we are financially responsible for any accidents that we are determined to be at fault. There is nothing in my contract to suggest this. I am concerned whether this is legally sound. Is the company not required to have insurance in place for things like this?

    • You should of course double check, but the employer should have responsibility for any damage or injury caused whilst you are operating their vehicle and working on their behalf.

  16. My colleague used our company van and knew it was not fit for use. However, he then failed to report it to the employer. Then when I used it the brakes failed! My colleague admitted to these facts during a phone call. Where do i stand with this? Can I take legal action for gross negligence?

    • UK law requires that an employer ensures that all work equipment (including company vehicles) are appropriately maintained and regularly services to ensure that the equipment or vehicle is fit for purpose and as safe for use as possible.

      In this case, your colleagues failure to report the faults to the employer is clearly an act of negligence on their part, but the responsibility for inspecting the vehicle and having a regular regime of inspection and service management rests with the employer. Therefore, if they have failed to carry out their statutory duty to get the vehicle serviced on time, that would be employer negligence and you would have a valid claim for work accident compensation.

      We would like to discuss this further with you as you could succeed with this claim against your employer. Please use our a start a claim page or call our team on 01225430285 to get the ball rolling. Our expert staff will then call you for a quick chat about the incident and then get the right specialist Solicitor to act for you.

  17. Good evening! I was deliberately hit in the head at work and I got injured. but the employer does not want to give video What should I do and after what time can he delete the video? Thank you

    • To protect your interests you should refer to the CCTV evidence in writing and request that the employer does not delete the evidence. At least then, if it is deleted you can demonstrate that you tried to make sure that it was retained.

  18. I was sacked after my first accident at work. In the dismissal letter, the company admit the accident wasnt entirely my fault.
    No accident book was filled in after the accident, no back to work after being off with whiplash either.
    Other drivers have been involved in more serious accidents at work during my time, and have not been sacked.
    Do I have a case for unfair dismissal, as I have had no other disciplinary with the company before this accident.

    • With regards to the accident at work, as your employer has stated in writing that it was not entirely your fault there is a possibility that you could make a claim for accident at work compensation that would settle on the basis of shared liability. If you would like to take that further, please contact us and we’ll investigate this further for you.

      We cannot advise on employment law matters, but do share work with a specialist employment law Solicitor that we could put you in contact with. If you would like to speak to them, please let us know and we can forward you the details.

  19. I had an accident at work were i was trained properly. I fractured my finger in 2 places and dislocated it. After the accident, I received a final warning and was told I could lose my job. Being employed via an agency, I was scared so I signed their paperwork to admit liability, but I am now suffering with the long term effects of the injury.

    I’ve put claim, but wonder if the paperwork I signed admitting liability effect my claim? Do I have a leg to stand on or not ?

    • If the employer is able to demonstrate that you were appropriately trained to do the work in question and that all relevant health and safety provisions (such as PPE) were in place they will have a strong defence against any claim. Further, in your case the employer has a strong hand in that they have a signed admission of liability from you regarding the accident being your fault. This will make it very hard for your Solicitor to succeed.

  20. Hi I work in a nursery and we had some painting and decorating done where staff had to come in the next day and clean which is not my job. I cleaned the floor which was full of dust and that same day ended up with sore throat the next day I had chest infection and given amoxicillin I was later put on asthma pump, naproxen and sent for X-ray just in case my lungs where inflamed from dust because I was still having chest pains 2 weeks on. I’m now still on a asthma pump something I’ve never been on before and suffering chest pains can I make a claim against work

    • If your employer has failed to adequately protect you from obvious risks to health that have then caused you ill health, you would have the right to make a claim for workplace injury compensation.

      In this case, your employer appears to have failed to provide you with adequate personal protective equipment (PPE) or training to ensure that you could work as safely as possible. Employers are obliged to ensure that the risks to health are minimised as far as possible and when asking you to work in an extremely dusty environment without providing you with a dust mask and good ventilation, your employer may well have been negligent towards you.

      It is important to make sure that your ill health is recorded with your employer as being linked to the work you were asked to do – in an accident book or in writing to your employer. We would be happy to investigate the possibility of you claiming compensation.

  21. I had an injury at work. I was given a couple of days off with pay. When I returned should I have had any risk assessment done to assess my work as I am wearing a sling. I am the only first aider and fire Marshall on site. I don’t believe I should be the only person on site to deal with these issues due to my arm.

    • Your employer asking you to work as the sole first aider whilst your arm is in a sling is not the most sensible of decisions. If you were to then go on to sustain further injury as a result of this, you could possibly claim compensation for the injury.

      With regards to your first injury that lead to you having to wear a sling, we would like to find out more about that incident as you may well have a grounds to make a claim for accident at work compensation.

      It would be useful for you to speak with one of our team and we therefore invite you to send your contact details to us – either by email (, or by calling us on 01225430285.

  22. I had an accident last Sunday we had bad winds so was helping my work mates to pull the outdoor pool cover over the pool as someone was stupid to release it when they should not have . I had the strap rapped round my hand to keep the cover from blowing then a big hush of wind came t me I felt my body getting pulled and I let go of the strap so suffered a burn and bruising to my hand but also my arm and neck is painful as I jolted when I let go can I claim

    • Yes, we think we can help you pursue a claim against your employer here. Of course, we need to find out a little more about the process used to cover the pools and the training given to you and colleagues, but we think that there is a valid claim for work accident compensation here.

      Please call us on 01225430285 or send us some information by way of our ‘start your claim’ page and we will then call you. We would only need 5 minutes of your time to get the initial information needed to enable us to pass this matter to the right specialist Solicitor for you.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

  23. Hello I work for a company 10 weeks ago we had a quiet night we were asked to clean the back wall down the supervisor gave us the cleaning solution and cleaning pads we started cleaning the wall down with 15mins my fingers were burning unfortunately they gave me the wrong solution they gave me crosive instead of course this caused the skin on my fingers to burn and blister and becoming really saw please advise where I stand

    • This is a clear breach of your Health & Safety at work by your employer. The handling of chemicals and dangerous substances needs to be done under the COSHH guidelines. When COSHH guidelines are breached and conditions such as Industrial Dermatitis or Chemical Burns are sustained, the injured worker is very likely to succeed with a claim for compensation for such injuries.

      Clearly, your Manager would not have meant you any harm but that is not relevant as you have been caused injury and pain as a result of their negligence. You have what would appear to be a viable claim here and I would suggest that you get in touch with us on 01225430285 or email your contact details to us so that we can call you.

  24. I had an injury to my eye at work where a shard of stainless steel penetrated tge cornea of my eye deep enough to almost penetrate the lens.
    Since the injury I have required hospital treatment 4 times .
    I was wearing safety glasses when it happened but the working conditions was very poor I was on my back drilling upwards into a stainless steel floor fitted into a van.
    No ramps used.
    I have had time off work for treatment and resting . But I cannot afford the time off because the company will not pay full pay.
    Since returning to work I have not been asked for a fit to work certificate . But my main concern is I have been made to work on the same job that caused the injury! .
    I have also permanent partial vision loss from this incident.
    Where do I stand.
    Regards Gethin

    • Gethin

      Thank you for sharing your workplace injury story. Injuries to the eye are very distressing and extremely uncomfortable and given that you mention an element of permanent damage to your eye sight, I can imagine that you are feeling angry and concerned about this incident and your future.

      Although your company have made sure that you wear eye protection, I think that you may still have cause to pursue a claim for compensation against the employer. Of course, we would need to know more before we could advise fully, but the working conditions you cite and the way that the employer was tasking you to perform the duties you were doing when you were injured gives some areas of interest for a possible claim for compensation.

      I suggest that you send your contact number to us via email to: so that we can call you. We generally find that a quick telephone conversation enables us to ask the right questions that allows us to properly assess your claim and then make sure that we link you with the right specialist Solicitor to pursue this claim for you.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

  25. Hi Simon,

    I run a business that goes into schools and one of my employees got injured in the store cupboard at a school and is now unfit to work.
    Please can you advise me on the procedures I need to take?

    Kind regards,

    Ash Greenhalgh

    • Dear Ashley

      Thank you for asking about your employees accident at work. Although your employee was not injured on your premises and most likely through no fault of your own (I do not see liability attaching to your business), this is an accident at work matter because the employee was injured whilst performing their duties.

      Your employee can look to seek compensation for their injuries and losses against the person(s) responsible for the incident in which they were injured. In this case, it would seem (at this stage) that the accident would be the responsibility of the school and that in turn will fall to the Local Educational Authority or Academy Trust that is responsible for the school.

      To protect your employees interests, they/you should ensure that a full report of the accident is made within the Schools accident book reporting system. If this was not done at the time, you could contact the school to ask them to do so now and you could also write to them/email to make a report of the incident. Any such report should state what happened, how it happened and what the injuries sustained were. You should also retain a copy of this report within your own accident book system.

      Your employee should also ensure that they seek medical treatment for the injuries they sustain in order that the severity of the injuries can be noted on their medical records.

      In terms of pursuing a claim for compensation against the relevant party (School), your employee should contact us for assistance. Please ask them to call us on 01225430285 or email us their contact number to:

      Yours sincerely


  26. Had an accident in work just over a week ago now , causing me to have a black eye and face being swollen on one side . All paper work has been done and sent of yet I still haven’t heard from my company , is this acceptable?

    • Carol

      There is no obligation for the company to contact you, although it would be very reasonable to at least expect a call to check that you were ok and recovering properly.

      The employer should contact you if the accident was serious enough to warrant a health and safety investigation as your statement of events would be vital to the understanding of what happened.

      If you would like to pursue a claim for compensation for the injuries sustained, we would be very happy to help you with this. If so, please send your contact details to and we’ll call you to offer advice and help you get your claim started.

      Yours sincerely

  27. One of our employees had an accident that occurred outside working hour and at his home.the employee had been working more than 15 years and having a good track record. the accident affected his quality of work at the company. in facts, he is financially heavy in debts and had taken up second job. as employer, what should i do?

    • I don’t think you need to be concerned or do anything in particular. Perhaps you should record in writing the details you believe to be true – that the accident happened away from work at the employees house. You should record how you know this too.

    • Simon

      Great question – thanks for asking it! The most common ‘worries’ we encounter with regards to the thoughts of people considering making a claim for compensation, are those that relate to claiming compensation after an accident at work.

      Understandably, people injured at work worry that making a claim against their employer could lead to an uncomfortable atmosphere at work or even that making a claim will cost them their job.

      To answer your question, the answer is no! Whether or not a claim for compensation after an accident at work succeeds or fails, an employer has no legal right to terminate the employment of the claimant on the basis of their making a claim. The only thing that could lead to an employer dismissing an employee after a claim was made would be if the claim was made on a fraudulent basis. Such an act would be both gross misconduct and also a criminal matter and in this case, an employer would have every right to terminate the employment of the individual concerned.

      However, in the case of a genuine accident at work, the employee is perfectly entitled to make a claim. The outcome of the claim will only go in their favour if the employer is found to have acted negligently and therefore responsible for the injuries.

      I hope that this helps you – if you would like to chat about this further or if you would like to start a claim for compensation please get in touch with me. You can email me at: or call our office on 01225430285.

      Yours sincerely


  28. My work are saying that me making a claim against them will cause me problems, can they use this as a way to sack me? I feel I’m being made to feel bad for something they could have avoided

    • James

      Thank you for sharing your situation. There is a common concern held by nearly all of the accident at work claimants that contact us for help – that making a claim against their employer will cost them their job or jeopardise their colleagues future. Legally, any person who is the victim of an accident caused by someone else’s negligence has a right to pursue a claim for compensation. The outcome of the claim will depend on whether or not the organisation/business or people against whom you are making your claim are forced to accept liability.

      In your case, it is clear that your employer is putting pressure on you not to make a claim. This is not legal and they have no right to act in this way. I am not qualified to advise you on employment law, but if you have worked for the employer for the sufficient time to clear the legal requirement, they cannot sack or dismiss you simply because you have pursued a claim for compensation.

      However, some employers do act in an unscrupulous way and we often find that it is the smaller businesses that put heavy pressure on injured employees not to make a claim. We cannot guarantee that making a claim won’t cost you your job as we cannot be sure how your employer will behave.

      What I would say is that if you have been injured at work and required medical treatment, making a claim for accident at work compensation will allow you the prospect of obtaining a fair compensation settlement to cover the pain and discomfort caused to you by your injuries and would also allow you to reclaim any lost income by way of a special damages claim.

      Whether or not you opt to pursue a claim is down to you. However, if you are unable or have been unable to work due to the injuries you have sustained in the accident at work and your employer is not prepared to pay you your usual wages whilst you are unable to work, you will be heavily out of pocket. if this is the case, you may well have no choice other than to pursue a claim for workplace accident compensation. In any event, it sounds like you are not working for a decent responsible employer and I can’t see how they have any right to pressure you for loyalty if they act in the way that they have. Employers have employer liability insurance in place to cover events such as accidents at work and therefore any claim for compensation made by you would be against this insurance and not against the employer directly, so it would not harm the employer, business or colleagues in anyway if you opted to pursue a claim.

      I would suggest that you contact us so that we can discuss your situation in greater depth and get an understanding of what happened and who you work for. We can then advise as to whether or not we feel you have a valid claim for accident at work compensation and help you to understand your rights. You can make contact with us by calling 01225430285 or by responding to the email that I have sent you.

      I hope that this information is helpful to you and we look forward to hearing from you and offering help.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.