What is an accident book and how is it relevant to a claim for personal injury compensation?

2 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

An accident book enables people who have been injured to record how they were injured, what injuries they have suffered and what first aid or course of action has been taken.

To give a compensation claim the best chance of success, someone who is injured must do all they can to ensure that a record of their accident has been made and reported to the right people. In cases of an accident at work, in a shop or other public venue like a restaurant or theatre, the employers or management of the venue should have an accident book or other incident reporting system available.

This protects the interests of the claimant should they decide to pursue a claim for personal injury compensation. Their solicitor can then contact the workplace, shop or other venue that has the accident book and request a copy of the record, which can then be used as evidence to support their client’s claim for personal injury compensation.

Vital evidence for your claim

For a personal injury claim to reach a successful conclusion where the claimant receives a compensation settlement to cover their injuries and associated losses, a personal injury solicitor and their client (the claimant) will need to be able to provide the necessary proof and evidence to support their claim. If the right evidence is not in place, it can be hard to succeed with a claim and get someone to admit liability and agree to make a settlement to the claimant.

There are many items that can form the basis of evidence to support someone’s claim for personal injury compensation. Not only will a claimant have to provide proof of an injury, its severity and what medical treatment has been given, they will also need to prove that the injury and accident happened as they have said it did, with the cause being the fault of someone else.

The medical evidence element is usually an easy matter to resolve as the claimant will sign documents to instruct the solicitor to pursue the matter for them. One of the documents is a form of authority which allows the solicitor to access relevant medical records to support the injury side of the claim. But how can you prove an accident happened somewhere and detail what happened in the immediate aftermath? This is the role of an accident book entry.

What if someone refuses you access to an accident book?

Occasionally, some employers refuse to allow their staff to record the details of an accident in the accident book. This could also happen in shops or other venues. If your employer or anyone else refuses to allow you to use or see the accident book, there are steps you can take. We can advise you of this and welcome you to call us for assistance.

What if there is no accident book entry?

If you have not reported your accident, you can still claim compensation. There are other ways of supporting your claim even if there is no accident book record. For example, you may be able to provide the details of independent witnesses or other evidence such as photographs.

Some accident claim types, such a road traffic accident, will not be covered by an accident book. In these cases, details of an accident or injury should be reported to the insurers of the vehicles involved and also to the police. In cases where someone is injured as a result of a trip on a disrepaired pavement surface there will be no accident book. However, if this happens to you, you should contact the local authority that covers the area where you fell and report the matter to them over the phone. They will take a record and issue you with a reference number.

If there is no accident book option to support your personal injury compensation claim, you can give your solicitor the relevant authority to enable them to contact any organisations to whom you have reported the details of your accident so that they can use this in support of your claim for personal injury compensation.

To find out more about claiming or if you have any questions, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, we can call you back.

2 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Margaret Tempest

    Hi, I had a fall in the car park at the premises where I work which resulted in me having stitches,and a black eye and a knee injury. I think I was knocked unconscious too but there was no one to tell me that. I had a week off work and 2 months later I’m still suffering from concussion. I didn’t put it in the accident book (business centre with 32 businesses) but I have got the cctv of my accident and it looks like I was out for a good minute and a half. Because it was a Saturday there was nobody there and I was in my own. Can you advise me please. Thanks

    • Ian Morris

      The CCTV footage that you have is something you should protect and retain as it could provide important evidence to support your claim if one can proceed. Whether or not you can claim compensation for the injuries you sustained will depend on what caused you to fall. Our staff will know whether the cause of your fall is something that you can hold the car park owner responsible for and whether or not you can make a tripping accident claim in this case.

      You can call us on 01225430285.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.