What to do if you slip, trip or fall in a public place

0 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Slipping or tripping in a public place – aside from being embarrassing – can be traumatic and painful long term. It is not uncommon to hear of individuals who have slipped or tripped in a public place and broken their leg or arm, or even something as serious as their hip. Accidents in public are quite common because many people are oblivious to the dangers that you come across, even when you are simply walking down the high street.

In some cases where individuals have slipped or tripped in public, there is somebody to blame for the accident taking place. If, for example, there was a loose paving slab that the council were aware of but hadn’t done anything to rectify it and somebody injured themselves, then that individual could pursue the council for compensation.

However you slipped or tripped, you will be entitled to seek compensation for your injuries if the accident wasn’t your fault. The compensation you receive will cover expenses that have resulted because of your accident, such as medical costs, loss of earnings or even the loss of your job.

After having a slip or trip in public, it can be difficult for some individuals to get back on their feet again, particularly if they are elderly or have health problems. In order to make sure that you are not suffering with any unknown injuries as a result of the slip or trip, you should pay a visit to your doctor. They can assess you and find out whether you have hurt yourself seriously or not. If you have been hurt seriously and the injuries that you have sustained are going to affect your daily life or your ability to go to work, you need to start thinking about pursuing those responsible for compensation.

You might think that putting in a claim for compensation won’t be worth it and it will be a lot of hassle for nothing, but in fact, if you speak to a solicitor who specialises in accidental injury claims, they will give you some great advice about claiming for compensation. They can tell you whether or not it would be in your best interests to go ahead with a case for compensation and how much they think that you should receive for the injuries you have sustained.

Although you can make a claim up to three years after the accident occurred, it is always best to claim as soon as possible. This is because evidence and witness statements are fresh in people’s minds. Your solicitor will have photographs and measurements taken of where your accident occurred so that a case can be built around the evidence.

You will also need to keep a record of any doctors or hospital visits, which you have had to undertake as a result of your trip or slip. Your slip or trip might have resulted in a loss of earnings so make a note of this too. Collecting this information will give you a solid case to ensure that you get the maximum amount of compensation.

0 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.