Broken Bone and Fracture Compensation Claims

7 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

One of the most common types of injury that leads people to make a claim for personal injury compensation is broken or fractured bones. These can limit mobility to the lower limbs, spine or pelvis, and severely restrict dexterity to the arms, hands or shoulders.

In many cases, people tell us that they have been left unable to work for a while – often without pay – and are therefore struggling with the added burden of a loss of income and stress regarding paying bills and maintaining their usual day-to-day lifestyle. Claimants report that their injury has greatly impaired their independence.

When can you claim?

A compensation claim can be made in any accident caused by the negligence of someone else. The key element to a successful claim is to be able to hold someone liable for the accident that lead to the injuries.

Anyone who thinks that their broken bone or fracture injury was caused by, or is the responsibility of someone else – such as an employer, another driver, a council or other business – has a right to make a claim for compensation. Whilst these injuries can happen anywhere, common scenarios leading to such claims include:

In all cases, someone making a claim is doing so because they were not at fault for the injury they have sustained. All employers, vehicle drivers, public authorities, businesses and premises owners have a responsibility to ensure that their actions are safe and that they are not posing a risk to those working for them, sharing the roads with them or whilst they are on their premises or land.

Why claim compensation after a broken bone?

Anyone with a broken or fractured bone will have suffered a considerable amount of pain and been left unable to move freely. They will struggle to continue with their usual activities, pastimes and sports pursuits and will have difficulty sleeping comfortably.

One of the biggest issues faced by people making claims for compensation is that they are often left unable to work during their recovery and cannot therefore earn their regular salary. In most cases it is the loss of income that forces someone to make a claim. Coping with a loss of income – even if temporary – can cause huge distress and upset to someone attempting to recover from a painful injury.

Recovery can take many months and many people who suffer such injuries report that they never feel like they have fully recovered and that the area always feels weaker or becomes sore whenever they attempt any physical task.

Claiming personal injury compensation can help ease some of these problems. As well as winning a financial settlement, claiming with Direct2Compensation and our expert injury solicitors can also help you in other ways:

  • Making a claim is your legal right, and if you succeed, it fairly compensates you for the pain and discomfort caused by the injuries that were not your fault.
  • A successful claim can help pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • A successful claim will enable you to be sure that the settlement you receive adequately reflects the pain of the initial injury and recovery period as well as reflecting any permanent consequences that the injury may have.
  • A settlement can include a special damages claim which will enable the claimant to recover all lost income incurred and if you are left unable to return to work because of a very serious fracture or bone break, it will also include a future loss of income claim.

With Direct2Compensation all claims are made on a no win no fee basis. This means that you will never be charged if your claim does not succeed. A successful claim will lead to a compensation settlement being made to you, with the value of the claim including any lost income and incurred costs as well as a settlement value for the injuries you have suffered and medical treatment that you have required.

Specialist rehabilitation therapies

The one thing all claimants want is to recover and get back to normality at the earliest opportunity. With Direct2Compensation, the specialist injury compensation solicitors that we use can help you to access specialist rehabilitation therapies as part of your claim. The best medical care and follow up treatments will speed recovery and reduce pain and discomfort.

As soon as your solicitor has obtained an admission of liability from the 3rd party, your claim will succeed and it is at this point that your solicitor can demand that the 3rd party defendant provide (at their expense) specialist physiotherapy or other suitable private treatments to help you recover.

Most broken bone and fracture claims will see the injured party require weeks of limited mobility or dexterity with an arm or leg in a cast, and a period of rest before a full recovery is made. However, in more severe cases, compound, multiple or spiral fractures may require surgery to insert screws and pins to enable a recovery. In the case of fractures to the spine, neck or pelvic region the severity of the injury could result in paralysis and psychological trauma.

Depending on the specifics of your broken bone or fracture injury, your specialist injury compensation solicitor will look to obtain further private treatments that, although available on the NHS, will have a long waiting list and may not be a priority for the doctors treating you. This has been proven to help broken bone and fracture victims recover more quickly from their injuries. Further information on this will be available from your solicitor once your claim has been started.

How Direct2Compensation can help with your claim

We’ve taken the hassle out of making a claim for personal injury compensation and we know that most people won’t have any idea of the process or where they stand legally. We understand that you may be uncertain if you have a viable compensation claim.

We can help you to understand your rights, and whether your broken bone or fracture injury is something you are likely to be able to successfully claim compensation for. What’s more, once we’ve spoken with you, we’ll be able to identify the right specialist injury compensation solicitor with whom you should be paired to pursue your claim.

As with all accidents, if you have suffered a broken bone or fracture at work or anywhere else, it is important to make sure that the details of your accident have been recorded properly within an accident book or elsewhere and that medical attention is sought for any injuries that you have sustained. If you haven’t done this already, we can help you to do so and tell you how to report the details of your accident to the right people.

With our easy to understand claims process and ability to handle your claim quickly, simply and transparently, there are many reasons that make us the right choice.

To find out more about your compensation rights or to start your claim today, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, we can call you back. In just a few minutes on the telephone with you, we’ll obtain the initial information needed for our solicitors to commence a claim.

Direct2Compensation are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, our authorisation number is 830395. Details can be found on the Financial Conduct Authority financial services register.

7 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Anna

    Hi there,
    I’ve had an injury at work caused by my manager as he was trying to lift a beer keg and it has fallen straight on my foot and broke. As I was rushing to the hospital after that I didn’t have a chance to report the accident. This happened over a week ago and I’ve emailed my manager that I’d like to see the report and read it and sign it if the details are ok. Since then I haven’t heard anything about it. Can I still claim if they haven’t reported my accident? Can I get in trouble if they didn’t write the report and I haven’t had a chance to sign? I can’t go to work as I’m not able to walk without any help.
    Thank you

  2. lauren

    my mum tripped up on an uneven pavement slab in a street and broken her fingers which has left her arm being left in a cast and possible operation, would she be able to claim?

    • Ian Morris

      To make a claim for compensation after a tripping accident, the injured person needs to be able to identify an area of disrepair and a tripping hazard that indicates that there is a good prospect of succeeding with a claim for compensation. Please read our article on valid tripping accident compensation claims and then consider the area where your Mother tripped and fell. Please take some photographs of the area in question and then send them to us so that we can review them and advise you as to whether or not your Mother has a valid tripping accident compensation claim.

  3. Yvonne.

    Can I claim after 3 Years?

    • Ian Morris

      If you are over the age of 21, you will be statute barred under UK personal Injury Law and unable to make a claim. If you are under 21, then yes you can! To properly understand UK personal injury compensation claim limitation periods, see this useful article explaining how long you have got to make a claim for compensation.

  4. Graham colman

    My boy had an accident at a swing park, when he fell off and there were no safety mats. He broke his elbow. Can I clam for him?

    • Ian Morris

      You would be able to make a claim on behalf of your Son if there ought to be mats present, but they were not in situ. However, if the accident happened in a public recreation ground with grass beneath the swings and no matting in place, you would struggle to succeed with such an action.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.