Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Compensation Claims Guide


Employers have a responsibility to reduce the risk of workers suffering from repetitive strain injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome. If they have been negligent in providing the correct training, tools or a safe working environment, you are entitled to claim compensation.

Table of contents

What is carpal tunnel syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome (often listed as CTS) is one of many repetitive strain injuries that affect workers in modern life. It can be very painful and most commonly affects the hands and wrists. CTS is known to cause numbness or tingling in the fingers, cramping and weakness, restricted dexterity and reduced grip strength. All of which which can lead to lost independence, difficulty to work as normal and problems in maintaining a usual day-to-day lifestyle. When it comes to compensation, CTS is commonly known as an industrial illness, or disease, claim.

Who can make a claim?

Anyone diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome caused by their working life can make a claim. Employees are protected by health and safety law that requires an employer to do all they can to protect employees. They must minimise as far as possible the risks of workers suffering from illness or injury. Compensation will be awarded if it can be shown that the employer has been negligent and failed in these responsibilities.

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is commonly linked to certain types of working activity, including:

  • Repeated and regular use of vibratory equipment or tools
  • Constant and repeated lifting of heavy items
  • Heavy and repeated pressure over the carpal tunnel (at base of palm)
  • Repeated use of and bending of the wrist
  • Repeated forceful pinch grips
  • Regular heavy lifting

Usually it is associated with office workers, typists and people who spend their working life sat at a computer keyboard. Whilst such activities can and do lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, many people who pursue such claims are from other workplaces. Anyone using vibratory equipment, tools or machinery, for example, is at risk of CTS.

Some job roles are more likely to present a risk and here the employer has extra responsibilities to reduce it. They should provide extra training, safe and regularly serviced working equipment, the correct tools for the job and regular breaks from use of certain equipment.

Employers that fail to ensure full training, guidance and risk assessments for carpal tunnel syndrome will be liable should any staff under their leadership be diagnosed with it. Any person injured in this way is entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

Why claim compensation?

  • Claiming is a legal right, and will fairly compensate you for the health condition that was not your fault.
  • It can pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • If successful, your claim will enable you to reclaim lost income if you have been off work. A large payment for future loss of income could also be included if you are prevented from working again.

Claiming personal injury compensation for carpal tunnel syndrome can help ease some of the problems caused by the condition. You pay nothing if your claim fails because they are made on a No Win No Fee basis. A successful claim will lead to a compensation settlement being made to you. The value of the claim would cover the injuries you have suffered and medical treatment that you have required. Additionally, it may include any lost income and incurred costs, now and in the future.

Compensation amounts for carpal tunnel syndrome

The amount of compensation you can expect will depend on the severity and term of your injury, also your age and the treatment required to correct the condition. Some injuries are long-term and result in loss of employment, others are fairly mild and can be corrected relatively quickly. It’s impossible to know exactly how much you could receive but there are guidelines for solicitors to follow, and previously awarded amounts are also taken into consideration.

One case made the headlines in 2015, where a council-employed gardener successfully claimed £15,000 compensation after sustaining CTS through the use of vibrating equipment. This would be in the upper scale of what amount to expect, with more minor and recoverable cases of CTS commonly awarded between £5,000 and £10,000.

In addition to compensation for your injury, a settlement can include amounts for lost earnings, expenses and medical treatment to speed your recovery.

How Direct2Compensation can help

At Direct2Compensation we can help you to understand your rights regarding work-related injuries and can tell you whether you are likely to succeed with your claim.

As with all injuries or health problems caused through work, it is important to make sure that your carpal tunnel syndrome has been recorded properly with your employer. It may be that details are recorded in an employer’s accident book, but more likely that your line manager and HR department should be made aware of the diagnosis you have received from your doctor. If this hasn’t been done, don’t worry, we can help you to do so.

Direct2Compensation are experts in managing work-related health claims. Some of the best accident at work solicitors in the UK handle our cases. With our easy to understand claims process and ability to complete your claim quickly, simply and transparently, there are many reasons that make us a great choice.

To find out if you can claim, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, we can call you back. In just a few minutes on the telephone with you, we’ll obtain the initial information needed for our solicitors to commence a claim.

Direct2Compensation are regulated by the Claims Management Regulator in respect of regulated claims management activities. Our authorisation number is CRM33541.

Useful resources

30 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

  1. I have had Carpal Tunnel release surgery on both hands. I’ve been off light duty 1.5 but my hands are swelling again. My Doctor had me go to another partner that is a hand specialist, they both put me on a different restriction, the Doctor that is treating me now forgot to put the other restriction. The head of HR told me today are you going to follow these restrictions or you can go!!!! I don’t want to re-injure my hands, so I left and I asked my supervisor like let go or go home for the day? He said the day, my Doctor is out of town until Monday and my hands swell every morning. I feel like I’m getting singled out and the employer has no intentions on accommodating me and my needs.

    • Under UK law, if you have a Doctors note advising that you are not fit to work your employer cannot force you to work. They can however require you to work if you are deemed fit to do so. With regards to accommodating your needs, the employer may provide light duties if available but they do not have to do so and of course, if you were unfit to work for a lengthy period of time, the employer may have to opt to dismiss you – although UK law would require them to go through the appropriate due process.

  2. Hi Ian

    I wonder if you could advise me…

    I have worked for my employer for 30 years, 21 of those employed. It’s a physical job on a building site and has most definitely caused the carpal tunnel I suffered in both hands. Last year I had surgery on one hand and it was successful, I planned to have the other done this year and my boss wouldn’t let me have the first date that it was booked for because it didn’t suit their schedule, they agreed I could have it done next month October 2018, this is 2 months after I wanted it originally and I’d give them a years notice! I have continued to be in pain to please them. It’s now materialised that they are making us redundant and they clearly stopped me having surgery to fit around their plans but do I have any kind of claim for the pain and surgeries I have had to endure after all these years service?
    Many thanks

    • You can potentially make a claim against your employer if it can be shown that they have failed to appropriately minimise the risks of such a condition to you by the way they have managed your workload. As with all claim types, to make a claim for carpal tunnel syndrome compensation, you must pursue the claim within 3-years of the date that your symptoms/diagnosis was made.

      In your case, I would recommend that you use our ‘start a claim’ page to submit some contact details to us. Our new claims team will then call you to take some further information and then get one of our specialist carpal tunnel syndrome Solicitors to contact you to discuss whether or not your situation is one that would warrant a claim for compensation.

  3. Hi. I have been diagnosed as having carpal tunnel in both the hands. Was diagnosed in February this year although I first went to doctors with similar symptoms ten years ago so it is on medical record. I am going for the operation on one hand soon and physio has agreed it is down to using Vibration tools at work which has caused this.. So has doctor and hospital. Is it OK to make a claim against my work and what is the chance of being successful.

    • I would like to put your claim to our carpal tunnel syndrome specialists. My only concern is whether the fact that you had treatment some 10 years ago could affect your claim limitation period. However, as you were diagnosed in February of this year, you should be ok.

  4. Hello I am making an enquiry on behalf of my husband who has carpel tunnel . He recently had an operation to fix problem and spent 6 weeks off work. He feels the operation was not a success as he still has the numbness in his fingers and wrist pain. He is a gardener with the local council and has worked there for 29 years. During that time he operated a lot of grass cutting machinery. He also worked for British Shipbuilders prior to this for 8 years employed as a Plater Shipwright. Do you think he has a claim.

    • Your Husband may well have a valid claim and really should investigate as to whether or not he can take this further. We pursue carpal tunnel syndrome claims on a No Win No Fee basis so that gives your Husband the perfect opportunity to investigate this further.

      Please call us on 01225430285 or email me your contact details to: and I will call you to discuss the process and answer any queries you may have.

  5. I was diagnosed last year with carpal tunnel syndrome. Further to the diagnosis, I had surgery to ease the symptoms recently. I have worked on pot banks, as a cleaner and carer. The pot bank employers are now closed down. Will I still be able to claim?

    • Claiming carpal tunnel syndrome compensation is definitely something we can help you with. As you have worked for a few different employers, the claim will be made against all relevant employers. With regards to the pot bank employer, if they have ceased trading the claim could still proceed against them if their insurance was paid prior to their cease of business.

      We would recommend that you contact us so that we can find out a little more about your employment and diagnosis and then pass your claim enquiry to the right specialist Solicitor.

  6. Hi I’m currently a courier but am self employed. I work as a subcontractor for a small courier agency but they get the work from a huge online retailer. I’ve recently been diagnosed with CTS and no longer able to work. They sent us out with so much work to do that eventually my wrists started hurting resulting in CTS. Can I claim? Would the claim go to the small agency or the online retailer as it’s them that demand the work to be done.

    • We think you should pursue this further and let us get one of our specialist CTS Solicitors to look in to this for you. Please visit our ‘start a claim‘ page and provide some details to us with contact information. We’ll then call you and take some further details and get one of our specialist carpal tunnel syndrome Solicitors to look in to this for you.

  7. Hi i went back to work after carpel tunnel surgery (i was off for 6 weeks im a carpenter) i was placed on light duties but injured my hand again after about a month.
    i have been told i now have crps and have not been able to work since sept.2017
    im in a lot of pain wear do i stand legally?

    • You can seek to pursue a claim for carpal tunnel syndrome compensation from your employer if it can be demonstrated that the cause of the condition rests with the way that they have managed you and your workload. You have a claim limitation period of 3 years in which you can seek to pursue a claim and it sounds as if you are still inside that.

      We would strongly recommend that you start a claim via our website so that we can call you and take some basic initial information which would take around 5 minutes with our expert staff. We would then be able to pass the details of your enquiry to our specialist repetitive strain injury compensation Solicitors who could contact you for a more in depth discussion with a view to proceeding with a No Win No Fee claim for you.

      If you were to succeed with a claim for carpal tunnel syndrome compensation, your settlement would include an award for the injury itself (the ongoing pain and discomfort etc) along with a special damages claim in which you could recover any lost income and expenses that you have incurred.

  8. I started work as a private carer 6 months ago. Now I developed a lump on my left wrist and this is causing me severe pain from my wrist down in to my thumb and fingers. As of yet, the pain will not go even though I
    have been to see my Doctor. They have prescribed me strong Ibuprofen gels to use and paracetamol to ease the pain, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

    At work, I have to push a 13 stone gentleman everyday in his manual wheelchair as well as help him move in to and out of the chair. I am now in constant agony, especially when at work as I need use of my left hand to care for him.

    I don’t know what I can do as I can’t rest the injury as I have to work in order to pay my bills and the cost of living. I have never had any such trouble in my life before with my wrist and these symptoms have only developed since I started this job. I am so worried now thinking what to do as the pain it unbearable. For example, I can’t even hold my phone for long as doing so causes me to get a burning pain in my wrist. I worry that my ability to use my hand is reducing.

    I love my job so much and I am so worried that I could lose the job if I make a claim. I do however know that this injury and the pain is 100% caused by this work.

    • It certainly sounds as if your injury is that of a repetitive strain related nature. You have cited a possible cause as being the fact that you have to manually push the gentlemen that you provide care for in a manual wheelchair and this is certainly a possible reason for such symptoms.

      You may be able to make a claim for compensation against your employer, but to succeed you will need to demonstrate that they have been negligent towards your health and safety by failing to provide adequate training, support and equipment to perform your duties safely. The lack of a powered chair could be one area where you could demonstrate such negligence. Have you ever asked your employer for assistance or for additional equipment that would reduce the strain on you physically and allow you to work safely?

      I suggest that you should contact us so that we can have a chat about your working environment, your training and the employer. We would then be able to offer more specific advice as to whether or not you have a valid claim.

  9. I work in the medical field, and we do our charting at a computer with a mouse. This year I started feeling tingling in my wrist. I have not gone to the dr. but I believe I have carpal tunnel syndrome. My right hand goes numb, pain, and tingles, especially in the morning. I only chart approx. an hour 1/2 in an 8 hour shift, although its all done with a mouse. This has been repetitive for 2 years with this employer, and the pain is getting worse. Subsequently, when I use the mouse the pain is worse. (this is the only tool we have for charting, no keyboard, mouse only). I am going to make the dr.’s appointment to get a proper diagnosis, my question is, can my employer be held liable? If I need surgery, and am out of work will they have to cover those damages? How is this proven?

    • Sam

      Under UK law, if your GP diagnosis you with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) and links this directly to your working history/job role, you have a right to pursue your employer for compensation for the repetitive strain injury – CTS.

      To succeed with a CTS claim, you would need to demonstrate that your employer has not adequately risk assessed the nature of your role, provided you with the correct equipment, guidance, job rotation and rest periods needed. If you are able to succeed, under UK law, you would be entitled to claim compensation for the injury itself – for the pain, distress and discomfort of the injury and also reclaim any lost income and other expenses by way of a special damages claim.

      I hope this information helps.

      Yours sincerely

  10. I work as a butcher in a busy factory environment. The work is very strenuous on my hands and wrists with lots of twisting and pulling on the arm joints. I did inform my supervisor on many occasions that particular tasks were very painful to carry out yet I was told to ” crack on”!!!! I did get signed of work by my gp for 2 weeks for cts a few months ago and since then I have been for nerve conduction tests which show I need surgery on both carpet waiting for surgery now and work are fine about me taking time off for recovery but say they won’t pay me. Where do I stand please?

    • Steve

      You can pursue a claim for this – carpal tunnel syndrome is a ‘repetitive strain injury’ and if your employer has not handled your working situation correctly, you may well be able to claim compensation – both for the pain, discomfort and distress of the injury and subsequent surgery/recovery period, but also any lost income whilst you either cannot work due to the pain or recovering from surgery.

      Please submit a contact request via our ‘start a claim’ page or email your number to me ( or call us on 01225430285. We would be happy to discuss the claims process with you and assist you with a claim for compensation.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  11. I worked in the tyre industry for 20 years,about 2years ago I started to get pains in my wrists,doctors sent me to hospital where I was giving splints to wear they did help and after a while the pain went away,3 months ago The problem came back and I was on the sick for 2 weeks with tendinitis,I have now left the job but can I still claim

    • Paul

      You may well be able to pursue a claim and you are certainly within the time limitation period, so you can at least (and should) make enquiries to see whether or not you can hold your employer liable for your wrist pain – tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome. The law allows you a maximum period of 3 years from the date of an accident in which you can make a claim for compensation. That same 3 year period applies to industrial injuries and repetitive strain injuries, but importantly, the 3-year limitation period commences from the date of diagnosis that the injury is a work related problem and it sounds that you have around 1 year of this period remaining.

      Of course, being able to succeed with a claim for compensation will depend on whether your employer can be held liable for your injury problems.

      We’d be very happy to help you find out more and get one of our specialist solicitors to discuss this with you. Please call us on 01225430285. We’ll then be able to speak with you and find out more about things so that we can help you.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely


  12. Hi I worked in a factory over 30 yrs ago and have been self employed for 4 years and about 2 years I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel and have had an operation on 12th Oct 2016 will I be able to claim compensation regards Mel

    • Melvin

      The question you ask relates to the limitation period that ALL persons wishing to pursue claims for personal injury compensation within the UK are subjected to.

      As you are probably aware, claimants over the age of 18 years have a claim limitation period of 3-years from the date of their injury in which they can make a claim for compensation. If they fail to register a claim within that 3-year period, the law prohibits them from being able to take such action. However, whilst this is a widely known criteria for personal injury claims, what is less known is that in cases like yours, the 3-year period does not start at the date that the injury was caused, but at the date when the condition was diagnosed. With this in mind, you may well be able to argue that you are within the 3-year limitation period on the grounds of being diagnosed 2 years ago – if I have understood your comment correctly.

      If you would like to speak with one of our specialist carpal tunnel syndrome compensation solicitors, please do get in touch with us. We can then call you, take some brief details and make sure that your enquiry is handed to the right specialist solicitor.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  13. Hi. I’ve had carpal tunnel for about 12 years. It started when I was working at a landscaping company. I had to leave my job to do something less stressful on my hands. It got diagnosed when I was in the landscape job, but I have been told because it’s been nearly 12 year I won’t be able to claim?

    • Jonathan

      Hi, there is a limitation period for ALL claims for personal injury/Industrial Injury/Repetitive Strain injury claims. This period is 3 years. In most cases, the period of limitation expires when 3 years has passed since an injury was sustained (the date of an accident or injury). However, with Insdustrial Injuries and Repetitive Strain injuries, the limitation period remains 3 years, BUT from the date of diagnosis of the injury. Therefore, you may still be able to claim – it depends on when you were told that you had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. If this was within the last 3 years, you can still make a claim and we’d be very happy to help you with this.

      If you want to discuss this with us, please call our office on 01225430285 or email us your contact number to:

      Yours sincerely


  14. Hi I’m enquiringly for my husband ,he worked for kier for approx 2 yrs and got sacked that was 20 yrs ago, he started having numbness and tingling sensations in both hands and went onto incapacity benefit , he Never had a diagnosis but had regular medicals to assess his hands and to keep on claiming his benefit, yesterday he went to see a specialist who said he had severe carpal tunnel damage and both hands need operating on,he asked what kind of work he did all them yrs ago and he told him he worked on a belt feeder that vibrated heavily and he knows the pain and condition started then, he’s not been able to work since. The specialist informed my husband that he a right to claim for this condition, this is our first quiery into this matter so any advice would be most helpful

    • Dear Joanne

      Thank you for taking the time to raise this query with us. As you are probably aware, there is a limitation period for ALL claims for personal injury/Industrial Injury/Repetitive Strain injury claims and this period is 3 years.

      In most cases, the period of limitation expires when 3 years has passed since an injury was sustained (the date of an accident or injury). However, with Industrial Injuries and Repetitive Strain injuries, the limitation period remains 3 years, BUT from the date of diagnosis of the injury/condition and not from the date that the injury/condition was sustained. Therefore, although your Husband sustained his injury 20 years ago, he could well still be able to claim – as it sounds as if his diagnosis was recently made as carpal tunnel and that this was certainly within the last 3 years. In your Husband’s case, we would be very happy to help him with a claim for carpal tunnel syndrome compensation.

      If you want to discuss this with us, please call our office on 01225430285 or email us your contact number to:

      Yours sincerely


Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.