Electric Shock Injury Compensation Claims

2 questions have been answered below, , why not ask your own?

Injuries caused by electrocution or electric shocks can cause both minor and extremely serious injuries. Any person who suffers an injury as a result of an electric shock has the right to make a claim for compensation if the accident can be attributed to the negligence of a third party. That could be an employer, a contractor or anyone else who has failed to ensure that electrical work has been done to the required safety standards.

Table of contents:

Electric shock injuries and symptoms

Serious electric shock injuries can require detailed medical treatment and have a big impact on day-to-day lifestyle and living standards.

Whilst most people will associate electric shocks with exposure to high voltage electrical current, they can also be caused by low electrical voltages. Even 50 volts has been known to cause injuries, including damage to the way electrical signals are sent between the brain and muscles.

Common electric shock injuries and symptoms may include:

  • Burn injuries
  • Muscle spasms and nerve pain with ongoing pins and needles and loss of sensation
  • Fractures and soft tissue injuries from being violently thrown by the force of the shock
  • Irregular heart beats and damage to cardiac tissues, heart health and even cardiac arrest
  • Death

The severity of symptoms and extent of damage will differ depending on the length of time the injured person was exposed to the electric current, the strength of the voltage and which body part was affected.

Can I claim compensation?

If you suffered injuries because of an electric shock, and believe that the blame rests with the negligence of an employer or third party organisation, you can seek to make a claim for compensation.

To be able to make a claim the accident must have happened within the last 3 years. Except in cases of children under the age of 18 years at the time, who can pursue a claim up and until their 21st birthday.

How do I know if my employer is liable?

If you were injured because of an electric shock at work, there is a high likelihood that you will be able to pursue a claim against your employer for accident at work compensation.

Employers are obliged by The Health and Safety Act 1974 to fulfil a duty of care to provide a safe working environment for their employees. There are many regulations with which employers must comply to ensure that the risks to employee safety are minimised so far as possible.

One such requirement is that employers must carry out regular health and safety risk assessments of workplace equipment, machinery and environments. It is in this area that we often see PAT (portable appliance testing) being conducted on all electrical equipment found in the workplace.

Employers must also ensure that all staff working in assessed risk environments are provided with or required to wear relevant Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Regulations also require that employees receive relevant training and guidance as to how to work safely, use the correct PPE and be aware of the risks they face.

Any worker wishing to make a claim for electric shock injury compensation must demonstrate that their injury was caused by employer negligence, and that the employer failed to uphold their duty of care to employees. When an employer is proven to have been negligent, the compensation claim will be successful.

Injuries caused at home or in a public place

A person injured by an electric shock at home or out in public can make a claim for compensation if their injury was caused by a faulty appliance, or because of below standard electrical contractor or building work.

It is important that the details of the injury are reported to the appliance manufacturer or electrical contractor who carried out the work, as well as the owner of the premises in which it occurred.

How do I start my claim?

Direct2Compensation are experts in personal injury compensation and our staff can assist you in quickly identifying whether the cause of your electric shock is something that you can make a compensation claim for.

Our easy to understand No Win No Fee claims process is simple and hassle free, and we work with solicitors who will give you the very best prospect of succeeding with your claim.

You can call our friendly and helpful staff on 01225 430285 or get your claim started online today. We take pride in making sure that you feel understood and look forward to helping you make your claim.

2 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Gwendoline

    I had an electric shock whilst working on a till. I had no medical attention or support from my customer team leader. I also asked if I could go in the back and sit down, but he said that the delivery was in and it was too busy. I felt palpitations and said to my team leader that I felt that I needed to sit down. I had no support.

    • Ian Morris

      You can claim compensation against an employer if you are injured because of a faulty machine and suffer an electric shock. However, as with any No Win No Fee claim for personal injury compensation, the severity of the injury needs to reach a certain level before a claim can proceed. In the case of the electric shock injury you sustained, if it left suffering from symptoms including pins and needles, loss of sensation or muscle spasms as a result of the electric shock, you could see to make a claim.

      You should make sure that an accident report was filled in – if not, request that an accident book entry be made noting the details of your electric shock injury and the faulty till that caused it.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.