Eye Injury Compensation Claims & Settlement Amounts

14 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Injuries to the eye are extremely traumatic, painful and hard to cope with. Serious cases can have a permanent impact on quality of life, independence and ability to work and earn income. Therefore, claims for eye injury compensation can see settlements of a substantial value being awarded.

Table of contents:

Can I claim eye injury compensation?

Any person who suffers an injury to their eye that was caused through the negligence of someone else, at work, on the road or in a public place, can make a claim for eye injury compensation. If the accident was your fault entirely, you can’t hope to win a claim, though sometimes fault can be attributed to both parties and any final settlement would reflect this.

You should make sure that the details of your accident are recorded properly in an accident book or similar incident reporting system, and that appropriate medical attention is sought from a GP or a hospital.

To find out whether you can make a claim for your eye injury, speak with our specialist staff. We know your rights and can help you to recover compensation for the injury itself and also its impact on your day-to-day life and ability to work etc.

Who is liable if I make a claim?

If you sustained an eye injury at work, your claim will be made against your employers ‘employer liability insurance’ and would not directly impact on your workplace or colleagues. You would be free to continue with your work once you have recovered. You have legal rights if you’re injured at work, so make sure you understand them.

If the injury happened in a public place, such as a shop, restaurant or outdoors, the person or organisation responsible for ensuring public safety could be held liable if it can be proved they were negligent in this duty.

If your eye injury was caused as the result of a criminal assault, you must report your injuries and the attack to the police. You can then pursue a claim via the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority scheme (CICA). Whilst it is always sensible to instruct a specialist Solicitor to represent you in a CICA claim, you should be aware that you do not have to instruct a solicitor and can make a claim directly to them via their application process.

In cases where an eye injury was caused in a non-fault road traffic accident, the liable party in the claims process will be the insurers of the driver who was responsible for the accident.

Common types of eye injury claim

At Direct2Compensation our specialist solicitors have succeeded in recovering compensation for many different types of eye injury:

  • Foreign bodies entering the eye – such as metal, dust or wood
  • Blunt force trauma – as seen in slips and trips, falls from height or road traffic accidents
  • Lacerations and cuts
  • Corneal abrasion
  • Fractures to the eye socket or cheekbone
  • Chemical burns through a lack of training or protective eyewear (PPE) at work
  • Laser eye surgery negligence

Compensation amounts for eye injuries

The level of compensation you can expect for an eye will largely depend on the extent it affects your sight. Total blindness in both eyes, for example, can see settlements of over £200,000. For minor eye injuries, where there is no long-term damage to sight, the amount would likely be between £2,000 and £10,000.

The following is a guide to compensation amounts for eye injuries based on their severity. These amounts are for the injury itself, but you can also claim for special damages, which can include your expenses and rehabilitation therapies, for example. Once your specialist solicitor has obtained your medical report they will be able to give you an idea of how much compensation to expect.

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Total blindnessAround £224,680
Loss of sight in one eye with reduced vision in the other eye£48,600 - £150,370
Total loss of one eye£41,675 - £55,000
Complete loss of sight in one eye£37,450 - £45,840
Serious, but incomplete loss of vision in one eye£18,000 - £33,000
Minor but permanent impairment of vision in one eye£6,925 - £17,550
Minor eye injuries, e.g being struck in the eye, exposure to fumes, smoke or liquid causing pain and temporary interference with vision£3,000 - £7,320
Transient eye injuries with recovery within a few weeks£1,675 - £3,300

Can I claim on a No Win No Fee basis?

At Direct2Compensation any claim that we present to our specialist solicitors will be investigated and managed on a No Win No Fee basis.

Simply put, this means that should your claim fail for any reason you would face no liability for any costs on either side of the claims process. However, should your claim succeed, you would make a contribution from your agreed settlement towards the costs of the claim – as required by law. This cost is capped at a maximum of 25% of any award you receive along with your obligation to pay the cost of any ATE insurance policy that your Solicitor has to put in place if such cover is required. This fee is usually between £150-£250.

What to do next

Direct2Compensation are a personal injury specialist. It is what we do – nothing else! We know your rights and can help you to identify whether or not you have a valid claim for eye injury compensation. Simply call our offices on 01225 430285 or we can call you back. Alternatively, leave a question below and we’ll do our best to answer it.

Our solicitors have the experience and expertise to represent your best interests. They’ll arrange for a medical expert to assess you and provide a detailed report that will help settle your claim at the maximum value for your injury and the impact it has had on your life. Our role in the claims process is very much one of being a supportive resource to help you understand things in simple terms and be available as and when you need assistance.

14 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Phil

    Hello I was just wondering how this worked about three months ago I was taking my son back to his mothers when her new boyfriend and his two sons around 1819 years old attacked and beat me which led to me being in hospital and losing total site in my left eye
    I’m 42 years old and this has Cause me to a total loss of earnings for the last three months as well there is a police investigation ongoing

    • Ian Morris

      You have a right to pursue a claim via the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) scheme and this is something we can help you with on a No Win No Fee basis. To pursue such a claim, the victim of the assault must have cooperated with the Police during their investigations in to the incident and be willing to press charges if the Police are able to do so. The victim must have also sought medical attention and make a claim within 2 years of the date of the assault. In your case, you clearly meet the criteria.

      It is important that you are made aware that you do not have to have a Solicitor to act for you in a claim to the CICA as you can deal with them directly. However, you may prefer to have the benefit of a specialist Solicitor representing you through the process to ensure that your claim is dealt with correctly and that an appropriate level of compensation is obtained.

      If you would like to speak with us and get some advice from our Solicitors, please call us on 01225430285 or you can ask us to call you if you prefer.

  2. Craig

    I was working for a company that i no longer work for about 18 months ago, i was doing grounds maintenance work. I was sweeping up after the job was finished and dust blew up and scratched my eye, i was wearing protective glasses but clearly the wrong ones and didn’t do they job. I went to a&e and they confirmed I scratched my eye. Have I got grounds for a claim? What sort of amount could i get?

    • Ian Morris

      It is impossible to offer any guidance as to an approximate claim valuation at this stage as we do not have sight of medical records or an experts medical report demonstrating the extent of the injury to your eye.

      Whether or not you could pursue a claim is unclear. You appear to have been issued with protective glasses by your employer. On what basis do you believe that they were the wrong type? Was anything ever discussed with your employer regarding the eyewear that they provided? What record was made of your accident at work in your employers accident book?

  3. Ray

    Am I able to claim?
    When I came round from anesthesia for an operation on a hernia on my left flank I realized that I had a problem with my right eye as the anesthetic wore off my eye became unbelievably painful and I had very blurred vision…I was given drops in my eye and a patch…to make things worse I am blind in my left eye so this injury to my right eye left me blind for 4 days..I can now see but the eye is still very sore…can you advise as to what I can do next?

    • Ian Morris

      Do you know what happened to your right eye during the surgery? To pursue any claim for the temporary loss of vision and ongoing soreness, you’ll need to be able to identify some negligence.

  4. Frankperry

    My old company caused my eye problems, they never gave me regular eyes tests. I was working on CCTV system.

    • Ian Morris

      All employers are obliged to ensure that all staff can work safely and that risks to health are adequately assessed and managed. If you believe that your employer has failed to uphold their obligations, you can seek to make a claim for compensation.

  5. Samantha

    I had a minor accident where the Hoover pole become detached and hit me in the eye causing me to go dizzy and see stars, should I make a claim I feel silly as it was with a Hoover?

    • Ian Morris

      You shouldn’t feel silly – accidents happen and are often not foreseen. My concern with regards to your injury is that whilst it was distressing for you at the time, I am not convinced that it would be seen as serious enough to warrant making a claim for compensation. Did you report the accident details in an accident book? Did you seek medical attention?

  6. James Gamble

    Hi, I work in a Private Nursery as a Child Care Practitioner. Two years ago when I was taking care of some of the children one reached out forward and scratched my right eye. This caused some real discomfort and blurred vision (when I could open my eye) for about a week and then reoccurred once a month for roughly half a year afterward requiring me to have time off or be sent home. Two years later I am still have discomfort every morning until recently. It is now causing blurred vision again and is a lot more pain than before, I have now been advised I will require laser eye surgery to correct it. Until the last week I hadn’t thought of compensation until I was informed by my employer that all the time I had off because of this injury I haven’t been paid for. Would this qualify for a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      To succeed with any claim against an employer, an injured worker must be able to link employer negligence to their injury. In your case, can you identify anything that your employer did or didn’t do that either lead to your injury or failed to reduce the risk of the injury you sustained?

  7. David cattell

    I was sweeping up at work turned round did not see the huck on the spray track and one of the huck went up my eye lid. I pulled it out it bled for five minutes, can I make a claim? I went to work on the Monday told them what happened, I said I need the week off, they said that they will pay me two days, can I claim I’m still in pain?

    • Ian Morris


      What a nasty sounding incident, must have been very distressing. Eye injuries are often quite distressing, so I can understand why you’ve needed a bit of time away from work.

      We would be very happy to help you with a No Win No Fee injury compensation claim for this incident. Of course, we don’t know a great deal at this stage as to how this happened and what mistakes your employer or colleagues made that caused this to happen, so we need to speak with you to find out a little more information. However, this is something we would certainly be willing to get our Solicitors involved with, in order to make a claim for compensation for you.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.