Face Injury Compensation Claims & Settlement Values

25 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Facial injuries are often traumatic and can be of many different types. We’ve dealt with claims involving soft tissue injuries, bruising, swelling, lacerations, burns, scarring, fractures and nerve damage. Settlement values can be quite high with injuries that lead to permanent visible disfigurement.

Table of contents:

Common causes of facial injuries

Most commonly, facial injuries are associated with impact trauma as seen in accidents involving a slip, trip or fall, or as the result of a car, cycle or motorbike accident.

With impact trauma, facial injuries can range from severe bruising to fractures, lacerations and damage to the jaw, nerves or teeth.

Facial injuries can also be caused in accidents at work, for example due to defective equipment or the mishandling of hazardous chemicals which can lead to severe chemical burn injuries.

Can I claim compensation?

Any person who suffers a facial injury as the result of a non-fault accident, or due to the negligence of an employer or other party, may seek to make a claim for compensation.

In order to make a claim, you’ll need to be able to identify the cause of your accident or injury as being the responsibility of someone else, or due to an act of negligence.

You should make sure that the details of your accident are recorded properly in an accident book or similar incident reporting system, and that appropriate medical attention is sought from a GP or a hospital.

To find out whether you can make a claim for facial injury compensation, speak with our specialist staff. We know your rights and can help you to claim.

How will my settlement be valued?

During the claims process, the extent of the facial injury and its impact upon the claimant will be subjected to an evaluation by a medical expert.

Your specialist solicitor will instruct a medical expert to assess the injury and discuss its impact with the claimant. They will note any long term implications such as visible scarring, nerve damage or impact on eyesight and breathing, and provide a detailed report outlining the long-term prognosis to the solicitor.

The contents of the report will be used to assign an appropriate compensation settlement value for the injury element of the claim, with more serious facial injuries leading to higher compensation settlements. In cases of disfigurement there may also be severe psychological reactions which can be awarded substantial amounts.

The settlement will also include the special damages element of the claim, where any lost income or incurred costs caused by the facial injury will be calculated and recovered.

Compensation amounts for facial injuries

The following is a guide to awards for the injury only, excluding lost income and expenses, so your final compensation amount could be much higher.

Facial bone fractures

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Le Fort fractures of frontal facial bones£18,100 - £30,720
Multiple fractures of facial bones involving some permanent facial deformity.£11,300 - £20,020

Nose fractures

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Serious or multiple fractures requiring surgery, with permanent damage and/or facial deformity£8,100 - £19,330
Displaced fracture, with complete recovery after surgery£3,000 - £4,260
Displaced fracture not requiring surgery£1,925 - £2,640
Simple undisplaced fracture with full recovery£1,300 - £2,120

Cheekbone fractures

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Serious fractures requiring surgery, with lasting consequences£7,750 - £13,200
Simple cheekbone fracture, with complete recovery after surgery and no or minimal cosmetic effects£3,300 - £5,390
Simple cheekbone fracture not requiring surgery£1,775 - £2,500

Jaw fractures

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Serious multiple fractures requiring surgery, with prolonged treatment and permanent consequences£23,175 - £38,060
Serious jaw fracture with permanent consequences£13,650 - £25,490
Simple fracture requiring immobilisation but with a complete recovery£4,900 - £7,320

Damage to teeth

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Significant, chronic tooth pain over a number of years with deterioration in teeth conditionUp to £31,900
Loss of, or serious damage to several front teeth£6,650 - £9,540
Loss of, or serious damage to two front teeth£3,300 - £6,380
Loss of, or serious damage to one front teeth£1,675 - £3,300
Loss of, or damage to back teeth (per tooth)£830 - £1,430

Facial disfigurement

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Very severe scarring, with permanent disfigurement and psychological effects£22,625 - £81,400
Less severe scarring, where disfigurement is still substantial with a significant psychological reaction£13,650 - £40,480
Significant scarring which remains visible at conversational distances£6,925 - £25,160
Less significant scarring which remains visible on close inspection£3,000 - £11,500
Trivial scarring where the effect is minor£1,300 - £2,940

How Direct2Compensation can help

Direct2Compensation work with leading specialist personal injury solicitors who have a proven track record of success in pursuit of claims for facial injury compensation. From the first contact with our expert staff, through the entire claims process, we’ll ensure that you understand your rights and that your claim is being handled professionally.

We want you to focus on recovery and normal life, and not have to worry about your claim. That’s why we’ll ensure that you have the direct contact details for your specialist solicitor and that we are available to answer any queries you may have.

We know your rights and will make sure that your claim has the very best prospects of success, and that any settlement awarded to you appropriately compensates you for the pain and distress caused to you by your facial injury.

How do I start my claim?

Starting your claim for facial injury compensation with Direct2Compensation is easy. We know that you may have concerns or questions to discuss with us, and our experienced staff have the right expertise to guide you through the start of your claim.

You can call our friendly and helpful staff on 01225 430285 or get your claim started online today. We take pride in making sure that you feel understood and look forward to helping you make your claim.

25 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Mollie

    Have left minor scars from a facial steamer that had exploded into my face causing serious pain, and having the paramedics called out to help and being sent to A&E and being left with minor degree skin burns. Can I get compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      Please call us on 01225430285 or start your claim via our website. We would like to investigate this matter for you and have our specialist Solicitors consider your claim. Where a product is defective or dangerous, it may be possible to pursue a claim against the manufacturer and vendors. It would be helpful if you still have proof of purchase and if the steamer is within the manufacturers warranty. If you have not yet reported the incident to the manufacturers, please do – but don’t send them the product until you have spoken with one of our Solicitors regarding this matter.

  2. Nicola

    My friend had an accident at work where a bungee smashed him in face knocking his front teeth out can he claim from his bosses work insurance?

    • Ian Morris

      If the cause of an injury at work can be attributed to employer negligence – inadequate training, use of inadequate equipment or dangerous working practices, an injured employee can pursue a claim for personal injury compensation.

      Please call us on 01225430285 to discuss the accident and how it happened and our staff can then ascertain whether or not a claim would be viable.

  3. Kathleen sankey

    Hi I was using a very old buffer in work around 6 years ago it went of when I plugged it in without turning the switch on on the handle it hit me in the face it damaged my gum I have implants it had damaged the steel rod on the implant know the 3 teeth on the implant have come out the owner of company witnessed it, can I put a claim for her to pay for them?

    • Ian Morris

      If the injury happened 6 years ago, you are now unable to make a claim as more than 3 years have passed and you are out of limitation.

  4. Lakshman

    I am a delivery driver and I was at work sitting in the car when the next door business (fish and chip shop) threw hot coffee over my face leaving no visual scars but I suffered a strained neck.

    • Ian Morris

      Essentially the injury you sustained was caused as a result of a criminal assault and any right to claim compensation would most likely be via a criminal injuries compensation authority scheme claim. However, to make such a claim you would need to have reported the incident to the police and cooperated fully with the police investigations.

  5. Stephina

    Hi, on the 28 August I got an accident at work place, slip and fall on face broken 2 incisors teeth. As it night shift first Aid was then some time. And they took me home and telling me that tomorrow morning I must report work early as to take me to hospital. Then woke up early went to company. Wait till 9:00 then they took me hospital. After examination with the doctor he gave documents. Then at work they sign papers and promised to get money as soon as possible. I wasn’t given enough time to heal for pain and suffering and trauma. My supervisor pressured me to go and work at the same place where I got injured. I don’t feel well with that place where I’m injured. When I got there I become traumatised. I remember the day I fall on my face.

    • Ian Morris

      Has your accident been recorded in an accident book at the workplace? We would like to know more about your accident and what caused you to fall and suffer injury. If you could please advise us as to what happened and how you fell, we can then offer a view as to whether or not you could pursue a claim for compensation against the employer.

  6. Abdur

    Last week I was involved in an accident which resulted in cuts/swelling/bruising to my face (lip and nose area).

    Caused by a faulty ramp which led to a heavy trolley flipping upside down onto my face (as it was loaded up). I had to attend A&E for stitches.

    This happened in a DIY Store.

    • Ian Morris

      As the ramp in question was faulty, it would appear that you have a valid claim for compensation. Your claim against the DIY store can be pursued on a No Win No Fee basis

      To pursue your claim, please call us on 01225430285 or request that we call you.

  7. Julianna

    I work in a store and while working, a customer hit me in the face for no reason. In connection with the incident, I was ordered by doctor to take sick leave. The doctor treated me for facial and neck injuries and has also determined psychological issues.

    After the incident, HR suggested to me that I can take unpaid days off or transfer to another store. I’m not happy with that. As a result, I ask to consider my current situation and a possibility of compensation for medical expenses and psychological injuries.

    The store has cctv. Garda has report too but they don’t know the person. My incident form sent to Lidl risk management. No one want to take responsibility.

    • Ian Morris

      Any person who is the victim of injuries as a result of a criminal assault within the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland) has a right to make a claim via the criminal injuries compensation authority (CICA). This is a tax payer funded scheme and anyone who has reported an assault to the Police and cooperated fully with the Police by giving statements and pressing charges if applicable, has a right to make such a claim.

      Loss of income is only recoverable if you are off work for more than 28 weeks.

  8. gail

    I fell walking into a walk in cooler at work. I tripped on the step going in while carrying a pan. My face ended up hitting a metal rack and bouncing off and hitting it again causing a contusion on my forehead, fractured my nose, and bad bruising on the muscles surrounding my shoulder and collar bone.

    • Ian Morris

      Has your employer provided a warning sign or clear hazard markers (such as yellow and black marking tape) on the step at the entrance to the walk in cooler? If they have failed to indicate that there is a possible tripping hazard you could potentially have a valid claim for accident at work compensation.

      If you think that your employer has been negligent in anyway with regards to your accident at work, please call us on 01225430285.

      • gail

        There are no signs or markings at all around the cooler.

  9. Dave

    I’m self employed was at work on 1st November where I was using a 12 inch disc cutter. It kicked up with all its might and cut me from my nose down to my neck and through into my mouth area have 8 inch scar. What are your views on this?

    • Ian Morris

      When a self-employed person is injured in an accident at work, claiming compensation is possible, but it can be harder to succeed with a claim given the lack of an employer upon which you could attach negligence.

      In your case, you are responsible for your own health and safety at work and as such, the only way you can succeed with a claim here would be by demonstrating that someone else has been negligent – perhaps the machine manufacturer (very hard to establish) or if you were sub-contracted to the site, the main contractor?

  10. Daryl

    I was working with a two part epoxy as part of my job, for 4 weeks no problem then my face exploded to the size of a pumpkin. I was given a cream that exacerbated the problem but doctor said to continue use so I put cream on face not hands the face got better hands still infected, it’s been 3 weeks, apparently this substance builds hyper-sensitivity in certain individuals more exposure doesn’t bring immunity so I won’t be able to return to work. I’ve received no pay for 2 weeks. What are my options?

    • Ian Morris

      If the employer failed to provide you with the appropriate personal protective equipment and has not operated within the COSHH guidelines, they will be in breach of UK law and you could pursue a claim against them for the injuries sustained as well as any loss of income incurred.

      Have you spoken with a specialist Solicitor yet to discuss your options and legal rights in more detail?

  11. Dana Lykins

    I was involved in a work accident in 2010. My front tooth was chipped, and workers comp would only approve a filling to fix it. I had to have it redone twice in the next year, but fortunately or unfortunately, the filling has lasted since, until now. Now it is chipped (very lovely that it is the front tooth!). I called KESA (KY) to ask about getting it fixed and was informed that it was a medical claim only, no time was missed for work (I missed 2 weeks), and that the statute of benefits expired in 2012. This will be expensive to fix, and I feel like it should be covered by Workers Comp. Am I just out of luck? Is there anything that can be done? Thanks!

    • Ian Morris

      UK law allows claimants a maximum claim limitation period of 3 years from the date of an injury in which a claim can be made. If more than 3 years has passed, then it is not possible to pursue it any further.

  12. Mat

    Got stabbed in lip by a pencil lead while eating in a café, it is a big chain.

    Have been offered a free meal for two however should I be expecting more, it caused bleeding and pain when eating for three days after.

    • Ian Morris


      Thank you for the comment and query. There is a possibility that you could succeed with a claim for injury compensation and we would certainly advise that you discuss this incident with one of our specialist solicitors.

      As you have also submitted your details to us, one of our team will be in touch with you in due course to organise this for you. In the meantime, feel free to accept the restaurants offer of a free meal. Accepting that will not affect any claim that may follow.

      Best wishes


Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.