Hip Injury Compensation Claims


Hip injuries are commonly sustained as a result of a slip or trip, in accidents at work and also in road traffic accidents. A claim for compensation will succeed if it can be shown that the cause was due to the negligent actions of a 3rd party, an employer, business or land owner. As well as for the injury itself, you can also claim for rehabilitation costs and other out of pocket expenses.

Table of contents:

Common hip injuries and their causes

Hip fractures are most commonly associated with a fall on a hard surface after a slip or trip. They can also occur in heavy trauma incidents such as those seen in motorcycle and other road traffic accidents. There are almost 100,000 hip fractures recorded in the UK every year.

Similarly, hips can often dislocate after a fall from height or when dangerous machinery is used by untrained workers.

Muscle and ligament damage to the hip area can be caused by over stretching or lifting dangerously, particularly in environments where safe lifting techniques have not been taught.

Hip bursitis can be associated with a repetitive strain injury or as a result of a heavy impact to the hip.

Although hip injuries can happen to any person, some demographics are more susceptible to the risk of a fall or impact causing trauma to the hip. For those of old age or with pre-existing health conditions, a serious hip injury can occur even from an innocuous fall. In most cases where a younger person has suffered a hip injury, the cause of the injury rests with an obvious heavy trauma such as a road traffic accident or a fall from height.

Compensation amounts for hip and pelvic injuries

The most serious injuries to the hip or pelvis can be as devastating as a leg amputation, and can therefore attract high settlement values.

Remember, you can also claim for special damages, which include your expenses and care costs now and in the future, among other things. The figures below are for just the injury itself.

Severe hip injuries

Extensive fractures which result in a lack of bladder and bowel control, sexual dysfunction or deformity, can expect compensation amounts of between £60,000 and £110,000.

Slightly less severe hip injuries but which are similar to the above can expect £45,000 to £65,000. This drops to between £30,000 and £45,000 in the next bracket, where hip replacements are only partially successful and future surgery is likely.

Moderate hip injuries

This would cover significant injury to the hip or pelvis but without any major permanent disability or future risk. The top bracket here is £20,000 to £30,000.

In cases where a hip replacement or other surgery is successful (or likely to be in future), and any ongoing symptoms are minimal, compensation amounts range between £10,000 and £20,000.

Minor hip injuries

Lesser, though significant, injuries would include cases where there is little ongoing disability. Here the award would be between £3,000 and £10,000. For those who recover within two years, the amount would likely be under £6,000.

Soft tissue injuries to the hip can expect settlements of up to £3,000.

Proving liability in hip injury compensation claims

The liable party in any claim for compensation is the party responsible for the incident that lead to the injury.

In cases where a hip injury is sustained in an accident at work, whether as a result of a fall from height, a slip on a wet floor or due to faulty machinery, an employer would be liable if they have been negligent and failed to provide the correct training, adequate risk assessments or machinery maintenance. Such a claim would proceed using various legislation including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

If a hip injury is sustained in a road traffic accident or motorcycle accident, the liability will rest with the driver responsible for causing the accident.

For a valid claim in cases of a slipping accident on a wet floor or tripping accident in a public place, a solicitor will use the Occupier Liability Act 1957 to prove negligence against the relevant landowner or organisation.

If a hip injury is sustained as a result of a slip on a wet floor within a supermarket or a shop, the business running the shop in question must be able to demonstrate that they have an adequate hazard identification inspection regime in place. They must ensure that any spills or hazards can be identified in a reasonable time frame and the risks of a customer or visitor slipping are minimised. If there has been a failure to apply such a procedure, proving negligence and succeeding with a hip injury compensation claim is likely to be possible.

Start your claim today

With expert knowledge across all claim sectors, Direct2Compensation know your rights and can quickly ascertain whether or not the cause of your hip injury will lead to a valid claim for hip injury compensation.

Our easy to understand claims process will give you the confidence to proceed with your claim, and our solicitors will work tirelessly to ensure you have the best possible chance of success.

Call us on 01225 430285 to see how we can help, or if you prefer, we can call you back.

4 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

  1. Bob Cargill

    Hi was injured at football game ,broken arm 2 places ,broken wrist , operation pins n plates put in ,slipped as I was abooy to go toilet ,can I claim compensation

    • Ian Morris

      If you were injured during the game of football, whilst on the pitch playing, it is very unlikely that you could succeed with a claim for compensation. Football is a contact sport and as such, there is an inherent risk present of injury.

      However if you slipped within the building of the football club/facility on a wet, slippery floor that had no hazard signs in situ you might be able to seek compensation for slipping accident compensation. Of course, we would need to speak with you further about this to find out what happened in order for us to be able to offer a more qualified view.

  2. Yvonne

    I had an accident at work in 2015 and suffered a broken hip as a result. This caused me to have to have an operation, with a pin inserted in to the hip. I am still seeing my Consultant and having treatment. I am in pain and struggling to walk. Do I have a claim? Thank you. Yvonne

    • Ian Morris

      Dear Yvonne

      Thank you for taking the time to share your situation. Your accident and the subsequent injury sounds very painful and distressing.

      To answer your question; ‘Do I have a claim?’, we would need more information about the cause of your accident. To succeed with a claim for accident at work compensation, we would need to be able to identify and highlight negligence on the part of your employer or another body who would be responsible for the situation in which you find yourself. In most cases, a successful accident at work compensation claim will show employer negligence such as a lack of training, insufficient support, incorrect enquipment or a dangerous working environment, such as from a spillage or known hazard.

      We would certainly like to help you with this and need to speak to you further.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.