Slip, Trip or Fall Injury Compensation Claims


You can claim compensation if you have been injured by a slip, trip or fall in a public place, if it can be proven that it was someone else’s fault. We work on a no win no fee basis, meaning there’s no financial risk to you if you don’t win your claim.

Table of contents


Slip and trip claims often arise from injuries sustained on dangerous floor surfaces at work or, as we examine here, in public places. This would include tripping over a pothole or damaged pavement, or slipping on a wet floor in a shop or restaurant.

Such accidents may be due to employer or council negligence. For example, by not properly cleaning up a spill or removing a hazardous obstruction. They can be held liable for any accidents that occur as a result of not adhering to any required health and safety procedures.

In addition to this page, the public questions and our responses at the bottom of our article on valid slipping claims will help you to understand more about the wide range of scenarios involved. Here we look at how to make a successful compensation claim after injuring yourself following a slip, trip or fall that wasn’t your fault.

Direct2Compensation have helped many clients win compensation for slips or trips, including:

  • A lady who tripped over a a raised paving stone caused by a tree root growing under the surface of pavement sustaining a broken arm.
  • A mother of 3 who slipped on water that had leaked from a broken freezer unit in a supermarket with no hazard warning sign displayed, causing her to sustain a dislocated knee.
  • A man who tripped in a large pothole in a cul-de-sac fracturing his ankle.
  • A worker who slipped on oil leaking from a faulty forklift truck at his workplace, breaking his leg in the process.

How to make your slip, trip or fall claim

Claims for slips, trips or falls should be made as soon as possible after the accident, but legally you have a three-year window. Liability can be difficult to prove, but with the right guidance it is certainly possible to win a fair amount of compensation for injuries that were not your fault.

Obviously, your first port of call is medical treatment for your injuries. Following that, you should seek expert legal advice on your next steps to maximise the chance of success. A solid claim will usually need to be reported and recorded, and have evidence and/or witnesses to back it up.

Ideally, the incident should be recorded with the company or authority responsible for the area in which the accident happened.

For example, if you slip on a wet floor in a shop or restaurant, it should be recorded in an accident book within the premises. The injured party should contribute to the statement and only sign it when they are happy with what is written.

In the case of a trip or fall on a footpath, the matter should be reported to the Highways Department of the local authority. A full description of the hazard should be given along with its location.

If possible, you should take photographs of the cause of the accident with clear measurements of the hazard. Delays can lead to your claim failing as the hazard could be removed by weather or repaired/cleaned up by the liable party. This would damage your prospects of successfully claiming.

Witness statements are also admissible as evidence, so try to collect the names and contact details of anyone who saw your accident and is willing to back up your claim.

Don’t worry if this all seems a bit complicated – if you are in any doubt about what to do, feel free to call, email us, or complete our online claim form, and we will be happy to help. There is no charge for assessing your case, so you have nothing to lose and much to gain if you can make a successful claim.

How do I know if I have a valid claim?

Being injured after a slip or trip doesn’t necessarily mean you have a valid claim. You can’t claim personal injury compensation if an accident was caused by your own actions; it has to be someone else’s fault.

For example, if you slipped on a wet floor and there was no hazard sign erected, you may have a valid claim for compensation. The 3rd party could be seen as liable for your injuries by failing to provide a warning of a foreseeable risk to your safety.

Even if a warning sign is present, the 3rd party is required to remove a known hazard in a reasonable time frame. If they hadn’t taken action within this time, they would still be liable.

It would also be worth checking to see whether the premises have public liability insurance. Public liability insurance covers companies, shops and organisations should anything happen whilst somebody is on their property. It is a legal requirement to have public liability insurance and you can be prosecuted for not having it.

If you haven’t had medical treatment, it is likely that your injuries will not be seen as sufficiently serious to warrant a claim. If you have been suffering in silence and haven’t seen the GP, you still can. If your injuries are consistent with those suffered in a slip or trip, you can then prove your injuries and pursue a claim.

Whilst the law states that in most cases you have three years from the date of an accident to make your personal injury claim, it is best done as quickly as possible. This ensures the availability of evidence and fresh medical opinion. However, in some circumstances this can be extended for an even longer period, for instance if you were not 18 years old at the time.

How much compensation will I receive for my injuries?

There are guidelines issued by the courts for solicitors, but it’s impossible to say exactly how much you can expect as all cases vary. All our solicitors are experts in handling accident claims and know how to use the guidelines to ensure you receive the right amount of compensation for your injuries.

Settlements are calculated based on the type and severity of the injury, plus the financial and quality-of-life impact it has. For example, a wrist injury that has resulted in permanent pain and stiffness could amount to between £10,000 and £20,000. That’s just for the injury itself, not including ‘special damages‘, which relate to incurred expenses and other effects on the injured person’s life.

You will be advised once initial evidence has been collected as to the likely level of compensation for your slip and trip injury. Usually we will claim for the following on your behalf:

  • The pain and distress caused to you by the injuries sustained
  • Associated costs and losses
  • Lost earnings if you have been away from work as a result of the accident
  • Medical treatments and post accident care
  • Restrictions on your ability to fulfil your usual activities and social life
  • Miscellaneous expenses (bus fares, painkillers etc)

What do I do now?

If you need some clear, honest advice, contact us. We have many years experience of handling these claims, and you can use our knowledge and expertise to give you the best chance of success. You can start your claim online or request a call back, and one of our expert team will be in touch to offer help. Alternatively, call us on 01225 430285.

43 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

  1. hi i’ve just got back from hospital after spending 8 hours in A&E with a fractured wrist. I had been at a wedding and slipped on the dance floor which was really wet. I am now in plaster and out of work for 6 weeks

    • Dance floor surfaces are smooth and are not textured. Therefore when any liquid or grease is applied to such a surface, it is foreseeable that it will be very slippery and hazardous. As such, there is a responsibility on venue management and business owners to provide a warning that a surface could be slippery and they should also do their utmost to prevent people from taking drinks on to the dance floor area.

      You have a right to make a claim against the venue in question and you should make sure that they have a record of your accident and the injury you have sustained. If you didn’t see any hazard warning signs or see any staff members asking people not to take drinks on to the dance floor, you should mention that in any accident book report.

      We would be very happy to investigate your claim on a No Win No Fee basis and invite you to use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website to make further contact with us to find out more about your rights after a slipping accident.

  2. I was at work and pushing a hako machine around the store. I was holding a brush in one hand and running the hako with the other and I fell over as it was very slippy and landed on my hip. Would I Be at fault?

    • It would appear that you slipped and fell on a floor that you had made slippery. As such, it is most likely that you will be seen to be the at fault party here.

  3. my wife suffered a fall inside the entrance of a restaurant. The entrance foyer area was very restricted and poorly lit, a 2nd door to the actual restaurant was fixed open against a wall, displayed on this door was a step hazard warning sign problem was wth the door in a fixed open state the warning sign was completely hidden. My wife,77 yrs old walked towards a fell off of a step,shehit the hard stone floor causing facial injuries,she was well looked after by a staff first aider.Before leaving ,a family member took timed and dated photos of the area in question,no hazard sign was in the photo, Two days later a re visit with same camera identified a new hazard sigh fixed to the actual wall in complete vision for all to see. The owners have ,via their solicitors, denied all responsibilities of the accident, Our solicitor seems to think we should admit my wife failed to take sufficient precautions for her own safety. The defendants solicitors have failed to adhere to required protocols in this matter. can our photos be admitted as evidence even though ot was a family member who took them.

    • Displaying a hazard sign is an important warning to visitors of a possible risk of danger. However, simply displaying a sign in and of itself is not sufficient to remove any possibility of negligence being attached should someone sustain an injury as a result of the hazard, if the hazard sign has been erected in a position that means it cannot be seen or if it is obscured from vision. With this in mind, it is most likely why you found a Solicitor willing to pursue the claim for your wife.

      One would expect that your Solicitor has received a robust defence from the defendant and that this defence has been presented to a Barrister to provide an opinion as to the prospects of succeeding with the claim, should it proceed further – perhaps to court. If the Barrister if of the view that a court is likely to find in favour of the defendant, the Solicitor will advise you that they are closing their interest in the claim.

  4. I was working on a building site yesterday and while going to my van I stepped off the high curb on uneven unfinished road and my foot folded over. I’ve been to the hospital and I’ve broken my foot in a couple places. I was wearing the required steel toe cap shoes. I’m self employed and now unable to work for at least 6 weeks

    • The scenario you describe is difficult to advise on as without seeing photographs of the accident site it is hard to ascertain whether or not you will have a valid claim.

      If you are on a construction site with newly constructed roads and pavements, it is likely that they will be uneven and not finished until the construction and requirements for heavy goods vehicles to use the site have ended. As such, it may be that you cannot make a claim and that a potential defendant would argue that you were not looking where you were going.

      That said, I think we should look in to this further as there could be a claim – perhaps the site should have had designated walkways and safe parking areas for workers. You can call us on 01225430285 to take this further.

  5. Yes I was at the car wash and wash my car and I want to go throw some trash out and slipped and fail right there on the concrete now have a ankle knee neck and hand pain I thought I wasn’t hurt but now I realize that I am and I will be going to the emergency room in the morning do I have a claim

    • Under UK law, if the car wash provider has created a hazardous and slippery area they need to ensure that all appropriate steps have been taken to make the risk of you then sustaining injury as low as possible. For example, a non-slip surface may be required or if not possible, warning signs and markers as to the kind of risk present.

      You should report the accident to the car wash company too.

  6. Hi I’m paying mortgage but the home owner insurance is in the name of the person’s who is selling the house to me. It was raining outside and the rain had run under the garage while it was down and I slip and fell while entering the garage causing me to suffer a right Ulnar Fracture can I file a claim against the person’s home owner insurance?

  7. I went to a village show and it started to rain and slipped in the mud and have broken my shoulder do I have any sort of claim

    • We would very much doubt that you would be able to make a claim in this instance as there is no negligent act to address any claim action against.

  8. Hi I went down to my local Lidl’s and someone had let there dog toilet right outside the doors as I left the store I slipped on dog poop and slipped and broke my toe.

    • Lidl will be able to defend this claim if they can demonstrate that they have a reasonable cleaning/inspection regime in place outside of their store. The courts have previously stated that as long as there is an adequate regime to check for and remove hazards by way of routine inspections then a defendant has done all that can reasonably be expected of them.

  9. I was at work and was unloading a truck. While I was standing on the trailer rigging up a counterweight for a crane to be removed off the trailer once rigged up I stepped back to a safe zone for the pick to be done. Once it was clear I turned to get off the trailer not realizing I was closer to the edge where there were some 4×4 posts strapped down to the back of the trailer I tripped over them causing me to fall off the back of the trailer breaking my wrist. Followed procedures for medical attention went to the er said it was broke and was referred to a specialist a week later I finally see the doctor who asked why it took so long to get in. A week later I had surgery. During that time I was limited to what I could but was never given any direction. After surgery I was put right back on my crew. I wasn’t even suppose to be doing anything with just having surgery. Two weeks later I go for a follow up which the doctor still doesn’t put me out for workman’s comp puts me on light duty. I build wind turbines. We were only getting a couple of hours a day of work contract issues so money going out was faster than money coming in. Then the job was shut down leaving me with no income and still not realeased to full duty couldn’t not get another job. What can I do ?

    • If you believe that your accident and the injury to your wrist was caused by employer negligence, you could seek to make a claim against the employer for the injuries and losses that you have incurred. Have you spoken with a specialist personal injury Solicitor regarding your accident at work and a possible claim?

      • If you are in the UK, we can help you further. If you are outside of the UK, you will need to contact a specialist lawyer working within whatever country you reside.

  10. Hi I was at a public library and was carrying my books to sign out, when I slipped on a brass plate. The plate moved slightly to the left and caused me to loose my footing. I had sensible shoes so there was no issue with the shoes I was wearing. The staff came to me and I mentioned the plate moved. She said the construction workers doing renovations were responsible for removing the plate.. I did not fully understand because there was a plate on.. they did take my name. I called back several days later as my knee hurt.. It was diagnosed as a deep bone bruise.. my ribs were shifted, and my back was sore.. thankfully that has resolved, with osteopath and massage.. I had infra red on my knee and that is doing much better though the doctor states it will take up to six months.. No permanent damage as far as I can see but six weeks later knee is sore going up and down stairs..

    I did check the plate and there is only one screw in holding the plate in place that is why it was able to shift.. The other place close to it had three screws in so that plate did not move at all..

    I would be grateful if you could tell me if you think I have a claim..

    • You have described a scenario that would indicate that you have a valid claim for slipping accident compensation. You were caused to slip because of a hazard that ought not to have been a hazard – the brass plate in and of itself is not particularly dangerous, but because it had not been fixed securely in position it was a hazard. When you stepped on it and it shifted a little, it has caused your foot to slip and for you to sustain an injury and could therefore be seen as negligence in terms of your claim.

      You have done the right things so far in making sure that the details of your accident and the cause were reported to the right people and you have also sought medical attention and further rehabilitation therapies in order that there will be medical evidence available to support any claim that is made.

      In the circumstances you describe, we would recommend that you make a claim for compensation.

  11. Hi i fell down some stairs at my job. It had been raining and my company was sending us out back to a trailer to take mandatory hearing test that are done every year. Unfortunately as I stated previously it had been raining and I fell down a flight of stairs. I was wearing steel toed shoes that was required. During the fall o sprained my big toe, both knees had contusion which made the swelling go behind both knees, and I reimbursed my back. Mind you I had previously injured my back 7 months Pryor in an accident but had gone back to work. I had to wear a boot on my foot for a week because of the toe sprain. I did file workman’s comp and was put on light duty for about two weeks. I filed a lawsuit and was informed that the company wants to only pay 1500 dollars and that if I resign they would pay more. Can they do this?

    • You will need to seek the advice of a specialist personal injury and employment lawyer in the country in which you reside and were injured. Direct2Compensation is a UK based legal company pursuing claims on a No Win No Fee basis within the legal system of the UK and as such, we can’t advise you as to your rights on this occasion.

  12. Please can you offer some advice. I injured my knee on the 22nd December, It was a staff christmas party and when walking onto the dance floor I slid on some toilet roll that other guests had made into streamers. The injury was witnessed by staff, who promptly removed the tissue paper, and another guest helped me get up. Staff offered no assistance. The injury that I sustained was a torn lateral meniscus, and 3 weeks ago I had surgery. I am still in pain, the knee is still swollen, and I am still off work. I contacted the hotel manager, she said it was never recorded in their accident book but she would call me back, this never happened. I have photographic evidence of the paper tissue and a witnesses to support my claim.

    • We believe that you have a valid claim for slipping accident compensation and would like to help you make a claim for compensation. The toilet roll being allowed to be on the dance floor is clearly hazardous and should have been removed and then prevented from further use.

      Please call us on 01225430285 so that we can help you with your claim for compensation.

  13. hi I had a fall at my work I was going back to my workplace and stood on a rubber mat as I walked there next thing I knew was I was up in the air as the rubber mat was wet under neath I landed on my arm and back and was really hurting I went to hospital had x rays nothing was broken but in a lot of pain I am taking morphine pain killers for arm neck and back pain I have been of 5 weeks and I think I will be of at least another 6- to 8 weeks I am getting phsio to help with the pain can I get a claim for loss of earnings

    • Our initial view is that you have a viable claim. The cause of your accident – the wet rubber mat – would give you good prospects of succeeding with a claim for compensation. If you were to succeed with your claim, alongside a compensation settlement for the injuries sustained, you would also be able to recover any costs and losses incurred – such as your lost wages – by way of the special damages element of your claim settlement.

      We would like to help you make your slipping accident claim and would simply need 5 minutes on the phone with you to take the initial information needed to be able to pass your claim to one of our specialist slipping accident Solicitors. To provide us with your contact details you can fill in a short form on our website ‘start a claim‘ page or alternatively, you can call us on 01225430285.

  14. I was coming into an restaurant. The floor was really wet. I slipped and injured my left leg. Every since then my leg has been bothering me. My leg has been hurting me. When I go to stand on it, it feels weak. Like I am going to fall. My ankle is swollen. I told the host at the podium that the floor needs to be dryed up. She said ok.

    • Given the scenario you have described, I think you should call us as we would like to run this claim for you. The restaurant should not have had a wet floor with no hazard warning signs and as you’ve reported the hazard to them you have a viable claim to pursue.

      You can call us on 01225430285 or visit the ‘start a claim’ page of our website and submit your contact details to us.

  15. Hello
    Please can you advise me as to whether I can claim a “pavement fall”. My foot went into a sunken block paving in Poole High Street. The position of the sinkage was such that it couldn’t be seen from the way i approached the block.
    I was unable to right myself and fell onto my right knee.. To cut a long story short, The pain was such that I was taken to poole hospital where the x-ray showed a fractured patella. I was advised to get photos but had cut short my holiday and have relied to a local person to take photos for me.
    The 50 pence coin shows the sinkage to be just about an inch but the damage is on three sides. this was inSeptember 2015 and I have been pondering on whether I should or could claim as my knee injury has and according to my Doctor will continue to give me problems for the rest of my life. I expect this prognosis is because I am 72 yrs old but otherwise far from frail.

    • Sheila

      Thank you for contacting us regarding your fall in Poole. On the basis of your comment, I would suggest that you contact us so that we can investigate this for you. We would need to see the photographs of the accident site to confirm, but at this stage I believe we could pursue this for you.

      You are right in that you are still within the legal time limit to enable you to pursue a claim. You have a maximum period of 3-years from the date of the accident to pursue your claim. If you were injured in September 2015, you have a further 18 months or so through to September 2018. I would suggest that you don’t wait any longer before starting your claim.

      Please email me your photographs and telephone number to: so that I can review them and then call you to take some further information and get the ball rolling.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely


  16. Hi I have been working as a door to door salesman for a promotions co on behalf of a major charity. Whilst out and about I slipped and hurt my knee. I have been off work for 5 weeks yet my employer isn’t interested. Where do I stand! Had MRI scan and I have damaged knee and tear in my cartridge.

    • Mike

      Whether or not you have grounds to make a claim for compensation will depend on the cause of your injury. In this case, it is unlikely to be something you can hold the employer liable for as I am assuming that you were out and about in public – on a footpath or similar? In that case, it would depend on the state of the ground/floor where you fell.

      If you have simply slipped on a pavement, it is unlikely that you have any realistic prospects of succeeding with claim. If however, you have slipped due to some sort of hazard on a pavement (broken surface, missing drain cover etc), you may well be able to claim. Also, if you have slipped on a wet floor in a communal area of a building for example, you may well have viable claim.

      It would be best for you to call us have have a quick chat – a couple of minutes on the phone with us would enable us to give you a proper view of your situation. Please call us on 01225430285/

      Kind regards



    • Craig

      On the basis of what you have said, I would suggest that we should commence a claim against the Dental surgery for their failure to either warn you of a possible slipping hazard or applying grit/salt to the surface of their marble steps.

      Whilst we all realise that ice is slippery, there are times when ice cannot be seen or where it is fair to expect that people are more vulnerable that ‘normal’ and as such, ice found in these areas should be treated to reduce as far as possible, the risk of slipping.

      Ice on the steps of a business, shop, restaurant or health centre (as with your Dental Surgery) present a clear and foreseeable risk to the users of those establishments and should be treated. In your case, you have been exposed to the risk of injury without any warning and I would therefore take the view that you have a good prospect of succeeding should you pursue a claim for compensation.

      At Direct2Compensation, we would be very happy to discuss this with you and link you with one of our specialist injury compensation solicitors with a view to you pursuing a No Win No Fee claim.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  18. Hi I was walking across a gravel car park in work stood awkwardly on a stone and broke my foot would I be able to claim for this thanks

    • Gareth

      You may be able to pursue a claim against the landowner responsible for the car park where you were injured, if we were able to demonstrate that they had not taken sufficient steps to provide a safe surface for the users of the facility.

      Clearly, succeeding with a claim for an injury in a gravel car park is not going to be easy, but that does not mean to say that we could not succeed. With this in mind, we’d be happy to try and help you pursue this claim if you would like our assistance. We’d need to speak with you in greater detail to find out more and then be able to offer you a more accurate view of things. To this end, please do call us on 01225430285 or email us:

      In order to protect your interests, I would suggest that you make sure that the owner/organisation responsible for the car park where you fell are aware of your injury and the cause of the accident.

      I hope this helps and we look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

    • Steven

      Thank you for raising your situation with us and for completing a contact request form.

      This has enabled us to speak with you in greater detail and discuss your situation. Your claim certainly has sufficient merit to be investigated further and to be presented to Lidl for their response. To this end, your claim is now in the hands of one of our specialist injury compensation solicitors so that they can pursue this for you.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  19. Hi, a metal plate out side local shop at the enterance was warped, which caused me trip forward as my fr9nt toe of my sandles became stuck under the plate. I went forward but grapped the door handle so i did not fall, but as it was a suden jolt forward i injured my knee. Didnt really hurt at thebtime just a twinge. I m3n5ioned to the sales assistant at the t8me. Its only as the night- early hours of the following morning that my knee became swollen and increaded pain. Eventuately i could not stane up or put any preasure on my knee and had to call the paramedicts out to my home. Was advised to take these pain killer which he left me. I mentioned that my knee has spasms that i cant control, he says its lock knee. Waite until the swelling goes down and i might need to have a scan as xray wont show. I didnt take a picture at the time, but later that week my son went to take a picture, but the damaged plate had been replaced, so i have no proof? Your advuce please

    • Elaine

      Thank you for your input to our site.

      It is clear that the obvious ‘hurdle’ to overcome in your case (and in the vast majority of claims for personal injury compensation) is proving that there was an incident and that the incident was caused by the negligence of a certain party. In your case, proving the injury is not going to be a problem as there will now be paramedic records available and if you attend the GP or Hospital in future, further records will support the injury element of your claim. However, the more important thing is to prove that there was a hazard present and that it was that which caused your injury.

      You mention that you did report the incident to the sales assistant, do you know if they recorded your details anywhere? I would suggest that you either re-visit the store in question or write/email them outlining what happened. Describe the cause of the fall – the metal plate – and the injury that you have sustained. You should also mention the assistant to whom you reported the matter. Ideally, mention the date and time and describe the person to whom you reported this – if you know their name, state it. If you send a letter by mail, do so by recorded delivery and retain a proof of postage along with a copy of the letter. This will confirm that the 3rd party are on notice of the accident (if you email them, you will have a copy in your ‘sent’ folder).

      On the basis of what you have said, I feel that you have a very viable claim for compensation as the cause of your fall was a hazardous metal plate in the entrance to a store. This hazard presented a foreseeable risk to the customers of the store and with that in mind, it is likely that you would succeed with a claim for compensation if you were to pursue the same.

      We would gladly help you pursue this matter and of course, we would do so on a No Win No Fee basis. If you would like our assistance, we’d need a few minutes on the phone with you to obtain some further details and we could then ensure that we had the matter passed to the right specialist injury solicitor. To do this, we need your contact details. Therefore, either revisit our website ‘start your claim’ page at: or call us on 01225430285. I have also emailed you a copy of this reply and you can respond to that with your contact details if you prefer.

      We look forward to hearing from you and helping you with this claim.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.