A Guide to Accident at Work Compensation Claims


All employers have a responsibility to keep their workers safe from injury, including temporary staff. If their negligence led to you or someone you know having an accident and being injured at work, then you are entitled to claim compensation. In this article you’ll find advice on how to make a claim, and how to tell if you are eligible to do so.

Accidents at work naturally cause a lot of stress and anxiety, and understandably, compensation claims against an employer present a difficult situation for both parties. However, you can maintain a good relationship and get things resolved in everyone’s interest with the right approach.

Just having an accident at work is not enough to guarantee compensation. It can’t be your own fault – it must be demonstrated that the employer was liable and exposed the staff to risk of injury.

Table of contents:

Why claim compensation?

Claiming personal injury compensation will help ease some of the personal and practical problems you’ll face following your accident. As well as a financial compensation settlement, claiming can also help you in other ways:

  • Making a claim is your legal right, and fairly compensates you for injuries that were not your fault.
  • It can pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • It can make up for lost income now and in the future.

Initial help

Managing financially can be a real problem for many claimants. Especially if their injuries are serious enough to prevent them from working and getting paid what they are used to. As such, the driving factor for a claim is usually the sudden loss of income, not the pain or discomfort of injuries. Most employers only pay the standard salary for a short period, then many people find themselves living off nothing more than basic sick pay. We normally find you have two immediate concerns:

  • When will I be able to get back to work?
  • How will I pay my bills in the meantime?

Once your claim is active, we can request a payment for any treatment required to return you to work as soon as possible. We can also obtain a payment on account of your compensation from your employer’s insurance company to cover the period you are unable to work.

All claims are made on a No Win No Fee basis, so you will never be charged if your claim fails to succeed. A successful claim will lead to a compensation settlement being made to you, with the value of the claim including any lost income and incurred costs. In addition, you’ll receive a settlement for the injuries you have suffered and medical treatment that you have required.

Employers are insured

Do not feel that reporting the accident would damage the reputation or financial health of your company. All employers must have insurance to protect both you and them should you have an accident at work. Therefore, any compensation for a work related injury will be paid by the insurance company, not your employer. You can make a claim in the knowledge that you are not jeopardising any colleagues’ employment.

Employer responsibilities

Employers have responsibilities after an accident at work and employees have the right to pursue a claim for compensation. Any worker can claim, whether they are full-time, part-time or temporary agency staff.

It is the employer’s responsibility to understand an accident and take the right measures, rather than the employee.

Every company that employs staff is responsible for their health and safety whilst they are working. If an employer does not have proper procedures in place, they are breaching their responsibilities and they can be prosecuted. Your employer is legally responsible for your safety.

It is up to the employer to carry out risk assessments and ensure the workplace is safe and free from hazardous objects. This includes allocating first aiders and providing training on lifting and handling office equipment. The employer should also ensure that staff are provided with the necessary equipment to protect them while undertaking any activity.

Your employer has a legal obligation to report any accidents to the Incident Contact Centre of the Health and Safety Executive. Any accident will need to be reported, regardless of how minor.

One requirement is to ensure that details of any incident are recorded within an accident book or accident recording system. These details can prove to be extremely important when it comes to a solicitor winning a claim for injury compensation. If an employer has refused you the right to record the details of your accident within their accident book, or you just haven’t done so, it doesn’t mean you can’t claim. A strong record in an accident book is just one of the many key bits of evidence that can help any personal injury compensation claim reach a successful outcome, and you can often find other means of proving what happened.

Making a successful claim

Just having an accident at work is not enough to guarantee compensation. To make a valid claim, the injured employee must be able to demonstrate that the employer was liable and exposed the staff to risk of injury, rather than it being their own fault. Whilst it is vital you seek proper advice to assess whether or not you have a viable claim, there are some basic pointers that can help you identify where you stand.

Potential signs of liability

  1. Did your employer ever give you any training? (this could relate to manual handling training, specific training to use certain machinery or other job relevant training). If the answer is no, your employer has breached health and safety guidance already.
  2. Were you given an induction to the workplace? This would include guidance on accident management protocols, safety exits, hazard avoidance etc.
  3. Were you provided with, or advised what personal safety and protective equipment you should have to complete your job safely? If the answer is no, your employer could be liable for your injury.
  4. Did your employer adequately maintain equipment and service machines? Did they ensure that safety guards and mechanisms worked?
  5. Were you advised how to report accidents and how to access the accident book?
  6. Did the employer ensure correct staffing levels and an adequate amount of first aid trained staff?
  7. Did your employer act upon reports of potential risks of danger to employees?

The above is just a guide and there could be many more ways in which an employer would be liable. In most cases, it is relatively easy for us to evaluate the likely outcome of a claim for workplace accident compensation. If you are unsure whether you have a valid claim, please do contact us and we’ll be able to tell you.

Actions to take

The following actions should be taken to give yourself the best chance of winning your compensation claim:

  1. The matter should be recorded in the employer’s accident book. The injured party should contribute to what is written and only sign it when they are happy it is accurate. Previous complaints or comments about potential hazards that relate to the accident in question should be noted. The injuries should be described and their cause listed. The injured party should ask for a copy of the accident book entry. In circumstances where there is no accident book entry, there are still things you can do.
  2. The injured party must receive medical treatment. This could be by attending their GP, or A&E.
  3. If possible, obtain the names and addresses of supporting witnesses. Whilst the accident book entry is the main evidence for an accident at work claim, having supporting statements from colleagues can provide a stronger prospect of success in certain cases.
  4. Following medical treatment, explain the situation to the employer and discuss the likelihood of any return to work.

It is important to ensure the details of the accident and injuries have been correctly recorded as soon as possible. If you have had an accident at work you should explain to your employer the exact series of events that caused it. Immediately reporting will help them curtail such accidents in future by adopting proper safety precautions.

If the employer is not convinced with your explanation, bring in witness testimonies to verify your story. The witnesses in this case would most probably be your fellow employees and colleagues.

Don’t worry if you haven’t been able to do any of this yet, get in touch and we’ll be able to guide you and help you get your claim off to a good start.

How much personal injury compensation will I receive?

Every claim is different. However, there are guidelines issued by the courts for solicitors and you’ll find a table below showing what amount of compensation you can expect depending on your injury. All our solicitors are experts in handling work accident compensation claims and know how to use these guidelines to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation. You will be advised as to the likely level of compensation for your injuries once initial evidence has been collected.

In addition to the award for your injuries, you will also receive compensation for all other losses and expenses reasonably incurred as a result of the work accident. Your expert solicitor will advise you what expenses you can claim but these are likely to include some or all of the following:

  • Lost earnings if you have been away from work as a result of the accident
  • Treatment for your injuries
  • Miscellaneous expenses (bus fares, painkillers etc)

One of the other major benefits of making a claim for compensation is the possibility of accessing excellent rehab therapies. Our specialist solicitors will look to obtain such treatments for claimants, including physiotherapy, massage therapy, osteopathy and many other kinds of intervention. You can recover more quickly and therefore be in a position to return to work and get back to normality sooner.

Compensation Amounts Guide

The following is a guide to how much you can expect to claim, just for your injury. It does not include amounts for “special damages”, for example, loss of earnings, expenses or medical treatment.

Head and Face

Part Of BodySeverityCompensation Amount
HeadMinor eg: no brain damage£1,600 to £9,700
HeadSerious eg: lasting changes£11,600 to £214,300
HeadSevere eg: full-time care£214,300 to £307,000
EyesMinor eg: temporary vision problems£1,650 to £6,700
EyesSerious eg: lost sight in one eye£6,900 to £50,000
EyesSevere eg: near or total blindness£80,500 to £204,200
EarsMinor eg: partial hearing loss£5,300 to £34,650
EarsSerious eg: hearing loss in one ear£23,850 to £34,650
EarsSevere eg: total deafness£68,950 to £107,500
FaceMinor eg: light scarring£1,290 to £2,670
FaceSerious eg: facial fracture£1,770 to £28,950
FaceSevere eg: facial disfigurement£13,700 to £74,500

Upper Body

Part Of BodySeverityCompensation Amount
NeckMinor eg: whiplash£1,850 to £6,050
NeckSerious eg: fractures or dislocation£29,300 to £42,500
NeckSevere eg: partial or total paralysis£34,570 to £112,800
BackMinor eg: strains or soft tissue damage£300 to £9,450
BackSerious eg: permanent pain£9,450 to £29,500
BackSevere eg: partial or total paralysis£29,450 to £122,300
ShoulderMinor eg: pain for less than two years£300 to £6,050
ShoulderSerious eg: pain lasting a few years£6,050 to £9,750
ShoulderSevere eg: significant disability£9,750 to £36,450
Hips and PelvisMinor eg: recovery within a few years£3,000 to £9,580
Hips and PelvisSerious eg: hip replacement£9,550 to £29,850
Hips and PelvisSevere eg: long term effects, bowel damage£29,800 to £99,550

Hands and Arms

Part Of BodySeverityCompensation Amount
FingerMinor eg: fractureUp to £360
FingerSerious eg: amputation£3,000 to £14,255
FingerSevere eg: multiple amputation£6,570 to £69,050
ThumbMinor eg: recovery within a few monthsUp to £1,680
ThumbSerious eg: tendon or nerve damage£3,050 to £9,550
ThumbSevere eg: loss of grip, amputation£9,550 to £12,740
HandMinor eg: cuts and soft tissue damage£650 to £22,000
HandSerious eg: significant effect on use£22,000 to £47,000
HandSevere eg: amputation or loss of use£47,000 to £153,150
WristMinor eg: quick recovery after fracture£2,650 to £3,550
WristSerious eg: continuing discomfort£5,600 to £18,620
WristSevere eg: partial or total loss of use£18,600 to £45,450
ElbowMinor eg: tennis or golfer’s elbow£2,650 to £9,550
ElbowSerious eg: significant restricted movement£11,850 to £24,300
ElbowSevere eg: surgery or disability£29,750 to £41,650
ArmMinor eg: quick recovery after fracture£5,000 to £29,750
ArmSerious eg: restricted movement or disability£29,750 to £99,450
ArmSevere eg: amputation£73,050 to £228,050

Lower Body

Part Of BodySeverityCompensation Amount
ToeMinor eg: fracture£4,200 to £7,300
ToeSeriouseg: ongoing symptoms£7,300 to £16,050
ToeSevere eg: amputation£23,750 to £42,650
FootMinor eg: constant pain but no disability£5,320 to £10,445
FootSerious eg: fractured heel or foot£19,000 to £53,150
FootSevere eg: amputation£63,820 to £153,250
AchillesMinor eg: weakened ankle£5,520 to £16,050
AchillesSerious eg: partial tendon tear£18,950 to £22,850
AchillesSevere eg: severed tendonUp to £29,250
AnkleMinor eg: sprain or fracture£10,400 to £20,150
AnkleSerious eg: surgery required£23,850 to £38,000
AnkleSevere eg: major disability or amputation£38,000 to £52,995
KneeMinor eg: twists, dislocation£4,600 to £19,950
KneeSerious eg: some disability, long-term pain£19,850 to £32,990
KneeSevere eg: constant pain or disability£39,600 to £73,120
LegMinor eg: fracture or soft tissue damage£1,850 to £19,850
LegSerious eg: long-term effects£21,050 to £103,200
LegSevere eg: amputation£74,450 to £214,300

Work Claims FAQ

Can agency or temporary workers make a claim?

The same health and safety at work regulations cover all employees, therefore any can make a claim. This is regardless of whether they are full-time or part-time, on a short-term contract or even working via a 3rd party agency on temporary terms. Employers must ensure that all staff are adequately trained to work safely and provided with the right equipment. They should also have knowledge of company procedures, how to access support and how to report any incidents and where to seek first aid assistance.

Will claiming compensation cost me my job?

The answer to this is straightforward – no. Another one of those personal injury compensation myths designed to put you off from claiming for your injuries.

Will claiming compensation after an accident at work damage my employer?

Again, this is a myth. Whilst it’s never good to have to claim against their insurance cover, it will not damage the business in the long run. If your employer has breached safety guidelines and is liable it is only fair that you should receive compensation. The worst that will happen to the employer from the perspective of your successful claim against them is that they will be likely to see a rise in their insurance premium and have to pay an excess towards your claim. One positive of such an outcome is that it’s likely to get the employer to make changes to the way that they work, so that future employees can enjoy a safer workplace.

Can I prove that my employer is responsible?

This isn’t something you should normally have to worry about. Your specialist personal injury solicitor will know the law and how to hold someone to account.

Will my colleagues find out about my claim?

Another no. The details of your claim are confidential. Your employer must tell no persons other than their insurers, and your solicitor will adhere to data protection guidelines. It’s up to you who you tell or don’t tell about your claim.

Will me making a claim help protect colleagues?

It’s always important to report any workplace accident. If you do so and then make a successful claim, your employer is likely to sit up and take notice. They can amend their work practices and reduce the risk of the same thing happening again.

How long do I have to claim?

Normally you have three years from the date of the accident to make your claim for compensation. This can be extended for an even longer period in some circumstances, for example, if you were not 18 years old at the time.

Free advice

It is always worthwhile seeking guidance from fully qualified personal injury solicitors who specialise in accidents at work. We can help you to understand the process and complete it without hassle, maintaining your relationship with your employer to its best level.

Contact Direct 2 Compensation for confidential, friendly advice and we can start looking after you and your claim.

44 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

  1. Pushing a trolley full of items to be put back in departments when a wheel fell off causing trolley to tip and hitting me on the knee causing severe bruising to knee cap. Haven’t gone in the next day as it was swollen and uncomfortable to walk on especially stairs. I don’t think I will suffer too long with the injury. I filled in accident report form in work and am also in the retail union. Should I make a claim

    • The scenario you describe regarding the cause of your injury at work would certainly warrant making a claim for compensation and you would have good prospects of succeeding on the basis of liability in this matter.

      In order to instruct a Solicitor to act for you in this matter, you will need to have an injury that is sufficiently serious. Whilst you currently think that you will not suffer for too long with this injury, we often find that many claimants suffer for a lot longer than they think – especially with knee injuries. The knee is a complex joint and to work properly you must be pain free and able to weight bear, walk properly and kneel on the injured knee without pain. I would imagine that it will be some days yet before you can do this given the swelling you report.

      To this end, we would welcome you to make further contact with us to discuss this matter. You can call us on 01225430285 or use our start a claim page to send us your details.

      You may want to learn more about how severe an injury needs to be before you can make a claim for compensation. If so, please visit our article on injury severity via this link.

  2. I am a support worker in a hostel
    In August 3rd 2017 I stood on a plastic container after being told I had to get curtains hung in another room and there was no step ladder ( which I was not trained to use ) so I stood on a plastic storage container around 2 ft tall to get the curtains done container collapsed broke my tibia fibula and damaged my knee cap had to have surgery now have two rods in my leg and metal over my knee.
    I did get paid six months full salary but was not mobile enough to return to work as i work with people with low to medium needs so I was granted two more months on returning to work my unit has changed and now is medium t high need and from my accident and having a DWP medical I have lost fifteen percent of my mobility and do receive disability allowance £139.84 a month which will be reviewed in January 2019.
    It has really changed my life can’t walk long distance without a crutch, triggered my depression in which I already take medication for,no more activity holidays, cant do my dancing can’t kneel down as of metal plate over knee I have been told if I damage this leg again as the damage was so bad it might not be such a good result next time which has made me very cautious in everything I do.
    I feel so angry yes I was paid but had done around twelve years service doing the same job I am 51 years old and am struggling with the pain in my leg and lower back in which I have to take pain killers for oh and the limp all in all it has changed my life,.
    My big concern is I am on my own and still have money to pay off my mortgage would I lose my job if I took action against local authority?
    Can you give me your opinion on this case before I consider following it through and what is your commission is ?
    I have asked for the copy of the assessment which was done as I know they failed the assessment but no one seems to know where it is concerning ””””’
    staff was told we needs to decorate and re furnish the unit as local authority did not have funding to do it and as manager at the time wanted to make it a more homely environment for our young people.
    It got to the stage staff was rushing to get it completed we did not have the right equipment a risk assessment was not done we were standing on a sink unit to paint a ceiling
    Thank you
    Please do not use my information

    • You most certainly do have a valid claim against your employer. Regardless of all other issues, their initial instruction to you to stand on an inappropriate item (plastic box) to work at height. That instruction was an act of negligence as you were clearly put at risk of injury by your employer – which is the polar opposite of the employers responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work act in which they are required to minimise the risk of injury. My initial view is that you would have very strong prospects of succeeding with this claim.

      You ask about fees for the work we do. I can confirm that our specialist Solicitors work on a fully No Win No Fee basis. This means that should you pursue a claim and it failed, whilst you would be disappointed you would have no financial responsibility to either side of the claims process. However, should you win you would be required by the LASPO Act 2012 to contribute up to 25% of the total of any settlement you were to receive. This sum is capped and can never exceed 25% and is often less. There are no deductions from any element of settlement award that covers future loss of income or future medical costs.

      You may wish to contact us to discuss this matter in greater detail and get a better understanding of the claims process. We would certainly be very happy to take some further details from you and pass the matter to our specialist Solicitors to act for you. Should you wish to take this any further, please call us on 01225430285 or email me: ian@direct2compensation.co.uk

  3. Hi there I worked for a skip hire company for 8 years , my job was separating all the materials from the emptied skips. This involved lifting , twisting and throwing in different directions heavy items included boilers , washing machines , Stone and heavy metals on average I was lifting 4 tons of material every day . I suddenly developed back pain and was unable to move . I have 2 herniated discs in my lumbar spine and 1 in my neck which I will soon be getting surgery for .
    Also no lifting and handling training was ever given
    Do you get awarded more money for multiple Herniation or is it the same as just one . Regards james

    • If you have suffered this injury within the last 3 years, you should make a claim for compensation against the employer as their failure to provide you with training and a safe working environment is employer negligence.

      Regarding a possible settlement value, when you make a claim for compensation the appropriate value of your claim will be reached on the basis of medical evidence of the injuries sustained. Therefore if you have more than one injury, the value of the claim would be higher than if you just had one.

  4. Hi,
    I work in a supermarket and shortly after I started my shift I had to retrieve my work trolley. Access to the trolley had been blocked by a two sided cage loaded with heavy metal shelving and shelving support arms/spines that I had to move in order to retrieve it. As I moved the cage one side lifted off the ground and caused the arms/spines (too heavy on one side) to come crashing off directly into my shin/ankle region causing instant pain and discomfort. It has progressively gotten more swollen and painful. I have recently had an x-ray done (manager’s advice) through the hospital. While it hasn’t caused a break or fracture, it has caused a large hematoma which is preventing me from fully using my leg without pain. Am i eligible to claim?

    • There is certainly sufficient in what you describe to warrant pursuing this matter further and we would like to help you with this. The employer should not allow items to obstruct safe working areas and it also sounds as if the cage you mention was dangerously loaded and clearly a hazard. As such, my initial view is that you could succeed with a claim.

      If you would like to discuss this further or start your claim, either email your contact details to me, use our start a claim page, or call us on 01225430285.

  5. I was pulling the side curtain on a wagon and a piece of wood fell off (not strapped in peoper and hit me on the foot causing pain and bruising (no break ) also I was not offered first aid what can I do please ??

    • You have a valid claim for work accident compensation and we would like to pursue this for you on a No Win No Fee basis. Whoever loaded the wagon had a responsibility to ensure that the items within the curtain sided trailer unit were secured as it is foreseeable that items could shift during transit. If this was not done, it is employer negligence and exposed you to the risk of injury as happened. Given that you have to open the wagon to deliver the items within it, you could not know of an item that could fall on you until you opened the curtain and there would be no way of you knowing of the potential danger until it was too late.

      If you would like to take this further and discuss making a claim against your employer for compensation, please contact us on 01225430285 or email justice@direct2compensation.co.uk and one of our staff members will be able to talk with you about your rights after an accident at work and our No Win No Fee claims process ahead of passing your claim to the right specialist Solicitor.

  6. 2 weeks ago I had an accident at work I lacerated the top section of my finger and damage under the finger nail.
    I work on a golf course and was filling up a sand spreading machine once filled I forgot to turn off the bladed sand spreading discs which are at the back end of the machine and spin at 2000rpm. I brushed some excess sand off the plate just above the spinning discs as I moved my hand back it ripped into my finger also just nicking 2 other fingers.
    This injury is on my dominant hand and 2nd finger from my thumb.
    I had immediate first aid and reported in accident book and went to Scunthorpe accident & emergency. They cleaned it up and bandaged it and I then had an appointment at hull plastic surgery department next day at hull royal infirmary. They stitched the finger internally and took my finger nail off and stitched under there.
    I have to have my finger dressed every week at ancora medical practice .
    Iam still off work and just got another sick note until August 6th.
    I don’t know whether the sand spreading discs needed safety guards on or not or if it was totally my fault?

    • There is likely to be an element of contributory negligence in this matter as you did forget to turn off the rotating discs that later caused your injury. As such, you have an element of responsibility to accept. However, you could be on to something with regards to a lack of safety guards on the machinery, which if in place would have prevented your injury.

      Our initial view is that you should use our ‘start a claim’ page in order that we can obtain some further information from you and present your claim to our specialist Solicitors who can then advise you further as to whether or not you can mount a successful claim against your employer.

  7. I have suffered a broken hip from an accident at work in Jan 2016. I was thinking that suing my ex-emploer was the way to go, but after reading your transcript, I would prefer you take this on. I have had an insurance co look at this and although they think I have a valid claim, the insurance company will not pay out compensation and the solicitors I used say that the employer was effectively uninsured. What direction should I take? Suing my ex-employer in the courts, going through you or leaving it as a lost cause?

    • If the former employer was uninsured, it does make the claims process a little less clear and more complicated for you and any No Win No Fee Solicitor to pursue. However, that doesn’t mean that you should leave it as a lost cause.

      We would be more than happy to pass the details of your accident at work to one of our specialist accident at work Solicitors in order that they can evaluate whether or not it is wise to proceed against the former employer in a civil matter. Of course, pursuing the employer directly (rather than claiming against an insurer) means that you are personally claiming against the assets and wealth of the individual or owners or the business for whom you were working. If they do not have the financial wherewithal to fund any claim or costs, the claim would unlikely proceeed. However, if they are wealthy then they can be held personally liable.

  8. can u make a claim after 3 years as I had a accident at work 27 years ago but only the last 2 years I am suffering with severe pain in relation to the accident that occurred all them years ago and now needing knee surgery due to severe trocler dysplasia and arthritis.

    • The strict 3-year claim limitation rule is very hard to bypass and we would have strong doubts as to whether you have any possibility of being able to pursue a claim after such a long period of time.

  9. I burnt my hand in work when carrying a plate over to a customer the pot of gravy tipped over the back of my hand ,I had to leave work 4 hours before my rostered shift was due to end ,to attend hospital to be seen and they dressed it and had me return a day later where they told me I could not work with it as it had blistered and risk of infection .I had to attend three appointments that week and every time was advised I could not work with it , am I entitled to be paid for my original rostered shift and the following days I missed ?

    • Your employer has no obligation to pay you if you are off sick as a result of an injury sustained at work – even if it was not your own fault. Unfortunately, the only way you can seek to recover the lost income is by making a compensation claim against the employer for burns suffered at work. If that claim were to succeed, not only would you receive compensation for the injury, but by way of a special damages claim be able to recover any lost income or costs you incurred as a result of the accident – such as travel fees and parking at the Hospital or Doctors.

      We have successfully helped a number of people with identical accident scenarios as that you have described and would be very happy to take some further information from you so that our specialist Solicitor partners could discuss your accident with you with a view to making a claim for compensation for you. If you would like to take this further or discuss your situation with us in greater detail, please call us on 01225430285.

  10. I broke my ankle at work 3 weeks ago now and i am in full plaster for another 5 weeks. I stepped on some loose paving and my foot went down the crack and my ankle snapped. The paving has since been filled so i have been told.
    I have been off since the 15th of october and the doctor at the hospital has signed me off for 6 weeks on top.
    I work for a major nationwide company and they are being really good to me ie i am on full pay at the moment so no problems financially. They also offered me a small amount of money to cover my hospital petrol parking and prescriptions.
    Problem i have is i feel i want to claim for my pain and effect it is having on my life at the moment.
    I am also worried of what the future might hold for my ankle.
    I stand up all day in my job and i am quite active
    I do worry that putting in a claim could affect my job in the future or how my bosses see me so i do have that worry. I was going to wait until the cast comes off in 5 weeks before going ahead to speak to the doctor and ask him his opinion but i am just confused.
    please could you give me some advice on what to do.
    thank you

    • The worries you mention with regards to how your employer would view any possible claim you were to make for accident at work compensation are extremely common. At Direct2Compensation we understand that making a claim against an employer is not always the easiest of things to do when you like the employer and have good relationships with your colleagues and management team. However, you are legally entitled to make a claim for compensation without it having any impact on your right to continue with your position at work.

      The fact that you are working for a large nationwide company would indicate that you would not face any problem at all by exercising your right to make a claim against the employers liability insurance cover.

      You are fortunate that your employer is treating you kindly and that you are receiving your usual salary at this time. The fact that your employer is offering to help with some small out of pocket expenses is also good and you can accept that without it affecting any claim you may choose to make. The employer is simply keeping their costs down should any claim follow in due course as given that they are paying your salary and helping with costs will mean that any special damages claim you were to make during your accident at work compensation claim will be minimised.

      Whilst your employer is paying you in full and helping you with your costs, you should not underestimate the possible long term damage that the triple fracture to your ankle could cause to you. Although being paid in full is great and means that you do not have the stress of managing without your income, it does not provide any cover for what you may struggle with in future. For example, your injury could lead to an ongoing problem with the ankle that will prevent you from being able to work properly in the future or play sports that you are used to doing. It is exactly for this reason that it is so important to ensure that you instruct a specialist Solicitor to pursue your claim for you.

      With Direct2Compensation, our specialist accident at work claim Solicitors will ensure that your injuries are fully assessed by a specialist medical expert and that the long term prognosis of the injury is understood. It is from this that a fair valuation can be placed on your claim and that any settlement that you receive appropriately compensates you for your injuries and losses – both the short term pain and discomfort as well as the long term issues caused by such a serious injury.

      We would very much like to discuss this situation with you and help you get your claim started. Please either forward your contact details to me by email or call us on 01225430285.

  11. My dept moved and my new work space was not suitable due to my pc screen being at a height and off to the left my keyboard and mouse were to the right which meant i was always twisting to the left and started suffering pain in my lower back but then i started to get pain in my right wrist from it always being turned to the right. We had an ergonomics assessments done on the 2nd day of being on the new dept and they said it was not suitable and action needed taking due to the work space being to small and incorrect they even took photos of the work space and advised the pc needed moving but it could not be moved due to the lead being to short so the trunken need to be moved this was back at the start of June.I started complaining of pain in my wrist at the end of July which is now so painful that even simple jobs cause pain that I have been seen by the A&E dept and my own GP which both say is tendon damage probably caused by my work area that i am now seeing physio at work which is not helping. I should also say at this point i also banged the same hand on a door at work which was a fire door being held open by a piece of wood. The physio dept are now thinking of ref me to the upper limb specialist . The trunken has now been moved 3 weeks ago but now the damage to myself has been done and i am unable to take time off from work as i only work there as bank staff my wrist injury was even used against me for not getting a job applied for ( the job i am currently doing ) . I do enjoy my job and am worried that if i take any sort of action against the NHS i could be taken off the bank at the hospital.

    • You have a very valid claim for workplace injury compensation here. The fact that the risk to your health by the positioning of your new workstation was reported and known by the employer, yet not acted upon would indicate that there has been employer negligence here. As a result of this negligence, you have now sustained injury and have to cope with daily pain and discomfort.

      The fact that you are bank staff should not cause you any concern when it comes to pursuing your legal right to make a claim for workplace injury compensation as you will be afforded the same legal right to make a claim for compensation as any other employee. Further, the fact that you are continuing to work even though you are living with daily pain and discomfort would show the employer that you are a reliable and trustworthy staff member and it is this that your ‘Management’ team will be interested in when they are assigning shifts to bank staff. Indeed, it is unlikely that anyone in your department who is involved directly with your working pattern will even know about any claim.

      I would strongly recommend that you do opt to pursue a claim for workplace injury compensation as not only could you receive a settlement award to cover the pain and discomfort, but you may well also be able to access some specialist private rehabilitation therapies as a result of your claim if you were to succeed. This would help you recover more quickly and enable you to live pain free and as you were before this problem developed.

      We would gladly help you with your claim and are here to answer any questions you may have. We work hard to give claimants peace of mind and the confidence to pursue their legal right to seek compensation when they have been injured through the negligence of an employer or any other party. You can call us on 01225430285 or email your contact details to us so that we can get in touch with you to discuss your situation in greater detail.

  12. Hi I had an accident at work which resulted in me running over my toe with a cage which tore off my big toe nail I was took to a&e which I had an x ray but nothing was broken but did say I had severe soft tissue damage and of course a lot of pain.
    Now I grant that I was pulling the cage that ran over my toe but I believe there is circumstances ie health & safety etc could you advise please

    • Wayne

      I am pleased you have found our accident at work compensation information to be of use. Thank you for taking the time to comment to find out more about your options as to any possible compensation after your injuries sustained in an accident at your workplace.

      As you may appreciate, it is very difficult for me to advise you as to any possible claim at this stage as I don’t know what caused the cage to roll over your foot and damage your toe. Although you were pulling the cage, you may well still be entitled to compensation for the injuries you have sustained if we can demonstrate that your employer has in someway been negligent in their approach to health and safety in the workplace. For example, if the cage that you were pulling was faulty you may have a right to claim compensation or if the cage were overloaded for example. Also, if there are any hazards on the floor of the workplace that could have caused the incident, the employer would be likely to be held liable. Another possible area that requires further attention will be with regards to what footwear the employer requires staff to wear and whether there are any issues with this.

      We need to know more, so please either email me further information so that I can respond in greater detail or better still, forward your telephone number to us by email: ian@direct2compensation.co.uk and I will call you. A quick chat on the phone will enable me to get a firm understanding of your injuries and the cause and allow me to ascertain whether or not you have a viable claim for compensation.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely


  13. My boyfriwnd broke his finger and is now doing therapy but is scared and still uses his righr hand with the broken finger because they keep telling him he’s on the line to be fired. They call him lazy and to suck it up. He btoke his finger at work because they didnt have the right lever to pull the air gun pressure.
    What should he do. Hes alwayd stressed

    • Kelly

      Your boyfriend’s injury would appear to have been caused because the employer has failed to provide the correct equipment needed for the job. As such, they are responsible for his injury and would most likely have to accept liability for his injury should he opt to pursue a claim for compensation.

      We would be delighted to assist him with a claim against his employer. Should he wish to pursue this further, please email a contact number to us.

  14. Hi I work in lifting and re stumping houses I have had no prior back problems as far as I am aware I started getting back pain on the 15th of March I just assumed it was from working too hard as of the 19th of April my partners brother is a doctor and he suggested I go and get scans done on my lower back so I had ct and xray of my lumbar region they found disc bulge of L5/ S1 which is touching my sciatic nerve on my right leg is giving me back pain some days worse than others I had no lifting training by my employer and my employer has made me lift average of 20 to 50 kg posts for houses by my self for 5 months also c channel steel beams weighing from 70 to 200 kg just me and him as a results of his excavator being stolen off him so we had to lift them by hand also lifting ][ beams that look like this double c beams that we use to lift the houses with that weigh up to 200 kg and pine and hard wood blocks of wood used to stack sort of like jenga the game to support beams on average working 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I’m 26 6:4 foot tall do or would i have a case for compensation he just got someone else in to help me 2 weeks before I last work and he struggled doing what I was and he is only 22 I’m also concerned as I’m not there now that the same thing might happen to the other bloke as my boss just drives you constantly get 10 mins for smoko and 30 for lunch boss has no regard for workers well being just his pocket $ signs I also have shoulder problems now still waiting on tests my neck gets stuck a lot some of the steels I had to carry on my shoulders and also had to half squat with those steels on my shoulder and even lift them over my head

    • Thank you for coming to our website to discuss the back pain you have suffered as a result of the heavy lifting you are tasked with at work.

      On the basis of your comment, I would say that you have a viable and valid claim for compensation to be made against your employer. In the UK, employers are obliged by law (Health & Safety at work act) to ensure that employees are provided with adequate training, guidance and support to ensure that the risk of injury is minimised as far as possible. In the case of heavy lifting, it is vital that an employer provides manual handling training to demonstrate how to lift safely, but also ensure that item weights are listed and that employees are aware of the maximum weight they can lift safely. Employers must also ensure that lifting equipment is available to ensure that those items that are unsafe for a person to lift manually can be lifted and moved mechanically.

      You should ensure that the full details of your health symptoms and cause are recorded with your employer and then seek the services of a specialist injury compensation solicitor.

  15. Hi I have been working on site sanding lead paint of windows with no extraction, little ventilation, no over clothes and have had to buy a more suitable dust mask than my employer provides. Due to this I no have lead poisoning and my levels are close to being suspended from work

    • Dave

      It could well be that tour employer has breached their health and safety responsibilities in this case and exposed you to a hazard that was avoidable.

      We’d like to put your claim to our specialist Solicitors and let them investigate this for you. Please either email your number to me or call us on 01225430285 so that we can discuss this with you in greater detail.

  16. I hurt my back several times last year due to the work I perform. I had a car accident 4 years ago and my boss blames that accident for my back injuries. My primary care physician says that my back problem is not at all related to the accident but rather is due to long hours standing at work. I was referred to physical therapy and I was given a medical clearance to work as long as I keep up with the physical therapy. My boss ignores what my doctor says and keeps saying that my problem was caused by the accident I so He is not responsible for that. He recently fired me saying that I could become a liability for him. What can I do?

    • Vanessa

      Your employers point of view/opinion is irrelevant – if a physician/Doctor has linked your back pain symptoms to the nature of the work you perform.

      As your Doctor has drawn a link between the two (your symptoms and your work) you need to speak with your employer to see if they can do anything to change your work station/job role to one that doesn’t cause these problems. Further, and perhaps most importantly, if your back pain has been developed as a result of employer negligence, such as a lack of manual handling/lifting training or the failure to provide adequate and correct assistance with the work, you should pursue a claim for compensation to cover the pain, discomfort and injury caused to you by your work.

      I hope this helps.


  17. How do i handle an old on the job permeantly partial injury that is being aggation by the job im performing now

    • Angela

      If you have a pre-existing injury/health condition that is being agitated by your work, you should advise the employer and discuss the situation with them. It could be that they could agree to some simple changes to your workstation or provide a simple piece of equipment that helps you and prevents the work from exacerbating/worsening your health.


  18. Hello, I fell about 6 months ago at my now previous employer off of a broken chair. As a result I am in pain management and have had 2 sets of xrays and one MRI confirming my L4 L5 and S1 discs are messed up and one is slightly bulging into my spinal sac. I sat on the tile floor for 5 mins before someone picked me up and notified the GM in which it took her 15 mins to check on me. I asked about putting this down in the incident report book and she refused because it was 5 mins before I clocked in (I sat down to put my work shoes on and fell) She also admitted she knew the chair was broken but I didn’t. She said all I had was a bruised tailbone LOL! Now I am in constant pain and cannot stand or sit more than a couple hours. I am unemployed and about to lose everything I have worked for. When discussing my schedule she said I needed to be put on 2 higher vol days because she had no one to cover it. She didn’t work with me at all. Please help! Here in AZ

    • Shannon

      By ‘AZ’ do you mean Arizona? If so, we’re not really able to help you as we work within the legal system covering the United Kingdom.

      Your boss should not have refused to make a record of the injury – regardless of whether or not your shift had started, you were injured on the work premises, so they have to record the details. I would suggest that you make a full report to them in writing and retain a copy for your own evidence. You should definitely speak with a specialist personal injury lawyer working where you live.

  19. Hi,
    I just had an accident at work yesterday. I am suffering from minor head injury now resting for 48 hours. It happaned when me and a collegue try to take a part one of our metal fictures at work. She accidentaly hit me with the metal pole near my eyebrow. What you’ll suggest to do? Do I have a case? WhEn I think about it could have been much worse only if it was an inch down.

      • Hi,
        I work as a care assistant. About 3 weeks ago, the nursing home where I work, remained without kitchen assistant. My employer asked me if I could do the shift in the kitchen 4 days a week, initially I accepted because I wanted to help. Last week, after finishing 4 days in a row, I felt a bad backache in the lower part. Caused by the fact that I had to lift trays full of plates to put them in the dishwasher and then in their place.
        So I called my employer to tell her I could not go to work on Monday and that I didn’t want to work in the kitchen anymore and that I preferred to go back to my hours as a care assistant.
        Since we are neighbours, she began to attack me saying that Friday night she had seen me at a party and that Saturday I had a party at my house and other things that have nothing to do with the workplace. She insisted that I go back to work even if I kept telling her of the pain in my back.
        I felt obliged and forced to return to work, a job that I accepted only to help.
        My back continues to hurt.

        I really need advice because I don’t know how to behave now.

        • It would be very wise to put your concerns regarding your back pain caused by the work in the kitchen in writing to your employer. If they are asking you to switch from a previously instructed role as a care assistant to that of a kitchen assistant, they should be ensuring that you are fit to perform the work and provide any training and support to ensure that you can work safely and without risking injury.

          In your case, has your employer provided you with manual handling training? If an employer fails to provide adequate manual handling training to their employees, it is an act of employer negligence. If that is the situation in your case, you would be able to make a claim for back injury at work compensation.

          If you would like to find out more about your rights or ask any questions about making a claim and the claims process, you can call us on 01225430285. Alternatively, you can read more about inadequate manual handling training compensation claims on this page of our website.

  20. Hi 8 of august last year 2015 I had an accident at work and received 11 stitches on my left arm I thought it wudnt be a problem but it really is now also received 2 more stitches at the same place of work only a couple of months ago on the same arm near the wrist just wondering cud u give me any advice have I left it to long to do anything r wud I be intitled to sumthing . Thank you

    • Richard

      You have certainly not left it too long. If you want to make a claim for compensation after an accident at work, you have a period of 3 years from the date of the accident in which you are able to pursue a claim. If you leave it longer than 3 years, you will be statute barred and unable to take action.

      Given that you had an injury on 8th August 2015, you would have until the 8th August 2018 to pursue a claim. We would be very happy to talk over the details of your workplace accidents with you so that we could then ascertain whether or not you would be able to pursue a claim for compensation. Please call us on 01225430285 – a quick 5 minute chat would enable us to explain your rights and help you to pursue a claim for compensation.

  21. Hello my names peter just a quick question regarding injuries at work I fell at work over a palet truck used for moving palets of trays it was my own fault as i was using it at the time in moving a palet of trays I wrote that down in the injury report book at work at the time , I was then taking to hospital x rayed resulting in me having fractured my left shoulder the accident itself as i said was my own fault , however I was told to work outside in the yard a few times before this incident because we were short staffed , and I am not trained in anyway or signed off to work outside in the yard or use any equipment such as the palet truck as my Pacific job with the company I work for is dispach operative packing food products in to trays for distribution do i have a case against the company for making me work outside in the yard with out any formal training is using equipment etc thank you .

    • Peter

      Thank you for your enquiry. I would suggest that it is worth us getting our specialist solicitors to discuss this with you. Although you feel responsible for the placement of the pallet truck that you fell over, you have also cited a lack of training for the area in which you were working at the time. With this in mind, there maybe something we could do.

      Clearly, I don’t know the full details at this stage, but I would suggest that you call our office on 01225430285 (or make a contact enquiry through our website) so that we can discuss this with you and find out more. We could then offer proper advice to you and potentially help you make a claim for compensation.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.