Injured in a slip, trip or fall at work? See if you can claim compensation

183 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

You are entitled to claim compensation if you have been injured by a slip or trip at work as a result of employer negligence in providing a safe working environment. Here we look at what’s involved in making such a claim.

Table of contents


Slips, trips and falls are among the most common causes of injury in accident at work compensation claims. While they may seem innocuous, the injuries suffered can have big implications for the injured persons’ future. Common injuries include fractures to the ankles, lower legs, wrists and forearms, or to the coccyx area of the lower back. They can also cause people to suffer nasty soft tissue injuries with damage to the knees, hips and shoulders.

In most cases, people are left with mobility and independence impairments, whether temporary or permanent. In cases of severe injuries, such as an open fracture, we have also helped people who have suffered psychological trauma.

Slips and trips at work

Slipping accidents at work are more common than trips and usually caused by wet floors. Employees can also slip if they are not provided with the correct footwear, or if a floor surface is not fit for purpose, such as no non-slip covering in potentially wet environments.

Tripping accident at work claims usually relate to potholes or footpaths around the workplace, or in car parks. They can also arise as a result of a messy workplace, if wires or cables are not stored properly or if items are left in walkways or beside desks etc.

Falls at work

When we’re talking about falls at work, this usually applies to falls from height. According to the Health and Safety Executive: Work at height means work in any place where, if precautions were not taken, a person could fall a distance liable to cause personal injury. You are working at height if you:

  • work above ground/floor level
  • could fall from an edge, through an opening or fragile surface or
  • could fall from ground level into an opening in a floor or a hole in the ground

Work at height does not include a slip or a trip on the level, as a fall from height has to involve a fall from one level to a lower level, nor does it include walking up and down a permanent staircase in a building. Claims arise from many preventable mistakes – employers failing to provide the correct length of ladder, or refusing to pay for height access platforms, for example. Scaffolding and exposed edges are also common causes of falls at work. A lack of training, guidance and an inadequate safe working at height policy can all leave the employer liable should accidents happen.

The benefits of claiming compensation

Injured employees may well be left unable to work for a period of time and therefore have to cope with the stress and anxiety of losing their income, as well as suffering with the pain and discomfort of their injuries. Claiming personal injury compensation can help ease some of the problems you’ll experience and help in a number of ways other than just a cash settlement:

  • Claiming injury compensation is a legal right, and if successful it fairly compensates you for injuries that were not your fault.
  • A successful claim can help to pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • Claiming injury compensation after a slip or trip at work can make up for lost income now and in the future if you are prevented from working again. This is by way of a special damages claim that relates to losses above and beyond any compensation settlement awarded to cover the injuries and distress caused.

As all claims are made on a No Win No Fee basis, you will never be charged if your claim does not succeed. A successful claim will lead to a compensation settlement being made to you, with the value of the claim including any lost income and incurred costs as well as a settlement for the injuries and medical treatment that you have sustained.

When can you claim for a slip, trip or fall at work?

Employers and contractors are legally obliged to provide a safe and secure environment for workers. Injury claims will succeed if it can be proven they have been negligent and failed to comply with their statutory duties.

When employers fail to provide a safe working environment there will be an increased risk of hazards. Employers must be aware of the risks of injury to their staff. Whether through defective machinery, an unmarked hazard, a lack of protective equipment or safety guards, insufficient training and guidance of staff, a failure to identify slipping hazards and erect warning signs, employers will be liable should someone slip or trip and sustain injuries severe enough to warrant a compensation claim.

Employers, contractors and site management providers must ensure:

  • That staff are given a safety induction relating to the workplace. That staff and contractors are made aware of the likely risks of an accident and know how to minimise those risks through hazard signage etc, and that staff are made aware as to how to deal with accidents and seek first aid.
  • That health and safety signage is properly and prominently displayed and they must ensure that all workers are made aware of their obligations to work safely.
  • That all staff are provided with, or obliged to wear the correct personal protective equipment.
  • That staff are adequately qualified to use any tools or machinery that they are asked to use.
  • That cleaning contractors erect hazard warning signs when making floors wet during and after cleaning.
  • That any hazards found that may cause the risk of slipping or tripping accidents are identified and fully repaired.

Working at height regulations

The Work at Height Regulations 2005 were specifically created to protect those working at height, whether half a mile above the ground or simply standing on a chair. Any activity performed above floor level carries the risk of a fall. This would include using foot or kick stools within shops or factories, through to the use of ladders, scaffolding and even rope climbing. Obviously some jobs are more dangerous in this respect than others, but the same basic health and safety laws apply to all.

If employers are tasking staff members to work at height, they must ensure that the employee understands what equipment they should use to safely access the height needed. Furthermore, the employer is responsible for the maintenance and safety of any items used, including stools, step ladders, full ladders, scaffold towers or any other height access equipment.

Regardless of the kind of workplace, employers must by law ensure:

  • That staff are adequately trained in how to access anything at a height above arms reach, and also provided with the right equipment to access anything located at height.
  • That any items provided to staff to enable them to work safely at height are regularly maintained and repaired, and that any items that are reported to be or are found to be faulty or dangerous are removed from use and only returned to active service once repaired fully.

How Direct2Compensation can help with your claim

As with all accidents at work, it is important to make sure that the details of your accident have been recorded properly within an accident book and that medical attention is sought for any injuries that you have sustained. If you haven’t done this already, we can help you to do so.

We know your rights and can help you to understand whether the specifics of your accident are such that you are likely to win compensation. With our easy to understand claims process and ability to handle your claim quickly, simply and transparently, there are many reasons that make us the right choice when it comes to starting your claim for injury compensation.

To find out more about your compensation rights or to start your injury claim today, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, we can call you back.

183 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Pam

    Hi i had a trip on a raised paving stone and as a result have a fractured humerus if i go with a company whi specialises in no win no fee do they do the work for me or woukd i have to speak with a solicitor myself thanks

    • Ian Morris

      We can only speak for our service and how we can help. Of course, for us to know whether or not you have a prospect of succeeding with a claim, we would like the opportunity to view some basic photographic evidence of the accident site. We appreciate that you have a nasty injury and may not be able to take photos immediately and in due course, we would be happy to attend the scene and obtain detailed accident site images. However, if you or a family member/friend, could attend the site of your accident and obtain some photographs showing the raised paving slab – ideally with a tape measure shown next to the edge to show the height, that would be really helpful. If such images could be forwarded to us at along with your name and contact number, we can further advise you on your rights and potential claim for compensation.

      Our service is very much aimed at making the claims process hassle free. After an initial telephone conversation with ourselves during in which we would obtain your details, the details of your accident (location, date, time etc) and a summary of your injuries, initial treatment, suggested prognosis and impact on your day-to-day life, we would submit your claim for formal assessment to one of our specialist Solicitors. The Solicitor would wish to have a further telephone conversation with you to confirm things, ask specific questions and confirm that they could pursue the matter further.

      We would then arrange the signing of the relevant No Win No Fee authorities by yourself – which at this current time is done digitally (as we cannot carry out face to face meetings at this time) or via the postal system. As soon as the signed paperwork is back with the Solicitor, they would commence the claims process. As you may appreciate, the claims process takes many months and there will be lengthy periods of apparent silence – not because nothing is being done, but because the framework in which claims are handled affords defendant insurers fixed and lengthy periods of time to investigate claims and respond.

      The Solicitor would liaise with you at the appropriate times regarding any potential defence mounted of the claim and to arrange things like local specialist medical assessments (used to provide evidence to support the valuation of the claim), rehabilitation therapies and to see instructions regarding the claim.

      We ensure that all claimants have direct route of contact with the Solicitor handling their claim, but we are also available directly too, to offer support or assistance if there is any confusing documents to discuss, questions to be considered or updates to be obtained.

      We want to make sure that the claimant is able to focus on recovery and ‘normal life’ rather than having to constantly fret or worry about their claim. We’ll set realistic time frame guidance at the outset and you’ll always be updated by the Solicitor at any moment of importance.

      Our customers give us excellent feedback and we’d be more than happy to help you claim compensation for the very nasty injury you have sustained.

      If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

  2. Chris

    I work as a carer in a ladies house I care for. I slipped on a ramp that was installed by the family. Unfortunately I walked up the ramp to answer the door when the accident happened. I fractured my foot. Who do I claim against? The family or my employer? The employer did not know about the ramp has there and it was not part of any of their risk assessments carried out.

    • Ian Morris

      It would appear that your employer has not been negligent as they were not aware of the ramp and would not be seen to have had an opportunity for you avoid the accident and injury. As such, it would seem that any claim would be against the family. If they have insurance, you could pursue action against that cover rather than the families personal finances.

  3. Rosemary

    After leaving work.l fell over a parking stump and fracture my bone in my wrist and also bruise my knee cap l went back to work after 20 days the stump has now been moved and there are sign to say do not walk there could there been a claim

    • Ian Morris

      The fact that the stump has now been removed and placed elsewhere and signage erected indicates that the employer is aware that the item was hazardous. As such, it is valid to pursue a claim.

  4. Nicholas

    I have fallen down stairs at work as a result of the building company not installing or maintaining carpet covers properly. I’ve hurt my ankle and wrist bit refused medical attention on grounds I don’t like hospitals, can I still claim? I’m not employed directly by the building site company but by a property management company on their behalf ?

    • Ian Morris

      The lack of Hospital attention at this stage is not something that should prevent you from making a claim. We’d certainly like to look in to this for you and look to make a claim for compensation for your injuries. You can call us on 01225430285 or you can ask us to call you if prefer.

      The most important thing to look at is whether you can attach liability (has there been negligence) and can you ‘prove’ that you have been injured. In this case, it would appear that negligence will attach. If the carpet covers were left to be dangerous and not maintained, our specialist Solicitors should be able to establish negligence in this matter.

      The second issue is proof or evidence to support your claim. As you have not been to the Doctors or Hospital at this stage, there are no medical records. We therefore need to look at whether an accident report has been completed or if there are any witnesses who would be willing to provide statements to confirm that you sustained your injury at the workplace.

      The lack of Hospital attention is not in and of itself a problem in terms of making a claim, so long as there is evidence to demonstrate that you’ve been injured when and where you say you were and evidence of injuries. It may still be the case that you could get a GP telephone appointment – which would be very helpful to any future claim.

  5. Matthew

    Hi, I’ve had 2 accidents at work in 2 weeks. Firstly I tripped over a pallet of metal parts in a very messy warehouse, and at first just caused very little pain, but 2 weeks later my knee is causing me agony, and I’m waiting to have an MRI scan! I am having to ring doctors again tomorrow to try and get signed off as I can’t walk on it. The knee has already been operated on 3 times, but the most recent was 8 years ago, and I have been a very active person up until the incident. Cycling, running and playing football were regular. Secondly, whilst cutting up metal at work, something happened and the grinder got caught on the metal, and something flew up and hit my eye socket! I had to go to A&E and have 3 days off whilst blind in one eye, plus 2 weeks of eye drops up to 9 times a day.
    So my question is, do I have a valid claim as I’m likely going to have time off, plus mentally dealing with stuff. I live alone and have 2 kids that stay with me every other weekend, plus a night every week?

    • Ian Morris

      The key here is that you have been injured due to a dangerous working environment in that your employer has negligently allowed the warehouse to be messy and for tripping hazards to be present – in this case, a pallet. As such, the fact that you have an element of pre-existing medical history with your knee should be ignored and is not relevant to whether or not you can make a claim. Of course, your knee is likely to have never been quite ‘right’, but you were clearly able to lead a full and active life, so a claim can be made for the way this new injury has temporarily, or permanently impacted on your physical mobility and independence.

      With regards to the 2nd accident and eye injury you mention, we would also like to discuss this further with you as it could well be the case that you can also pursue a claim for the short term, but very uncomfortable injury caused to your eye.

      Please call us on 01225430285 so that we can discuss your accidents at work and answer any questions you may have about making a claim after an accident at work. Alternatively, if you would prefer that we call you at a time that suits you, use the ‘start your claim for compensation‘ form on our website and we’ll call you when it suits you to offer you the help and advice you need.

  6. Noreen

    Hi, I was at work and slipped on a step, I banged my head and hurt my arm on the way down. I was in a lot of pain but had just started the job and didn’t want to make a big fuss. The next day my foot was swollen and sore, but I somehow managed to get to work. I was not offered the time off to get it checked and 3 months later I’m still having problems. Do I have a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      In this case, whether or not you have a claim will depend on why you slipped on the step. To succeed with a claim after a slipping accident, a claimant must either demonstrate that the step was damaged/disrepaired in some way – perhaps the surface of the step should have been non-slip, but the surface was worn, cracked or broken or if the step was an internal one inside a building, it was wet or had some other slip hazard on it and no hazard warning sign was present.

      We would like to speak with you to find out more about your accident so that we can advise you as to whether or not you can make a claim for compensation. Please call us on 01225430285 so that our team can help you.

  7. Sam

    Hi i work as a cleaner took on a new contract a couple of weeks ago so I dont no the building very well. I have gone to empty all the bins and what I didn’t realise is there was a step leading into a different room level with the floor on the one side but a slight step on the other side which I didn’t see due to holding big bin bags full of rubbish. I have tripped over it and badly damaged my knee and back in the process. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I can hardly walk or bend my back now. There was no signs to let you no there was a step either.

    • Ian Morris

      If the flooring makes a step hard to see, there is an onus on the building owners/managers to make sure the step is marked – either with a sign or with some sort of hazard tape on the edge of the step. If you feel that this matches the nature of the floor and step where you fell, you may well succeed with a claim.

      If you would like our help with a claim, please call us on 01225430285. It would be helpful to get photographs of the step – if possible – showing the similarity in floor colour on each side and the lack of hazard tape edging or signage.

  8. Robert

    I work for a security company who are hired by a facilities company I Had a fall on 20/05/20 down a staircase I informed my superior that there was a problem on 05/05/20 was told that I would be on a disciplinary if I didn’t do the patrol after my fall the building owners came and eventually screwed the stairs edgings down but the concrete is very old and is breaking up and on the 09/07/20 I had another fall I have managed to work through it all I am now being told I am doing it on purpose we don’t have an accident book only an A4 sheet of paper to record accidents we only started doing these new patrols earlier this year I have repeatedly asked for a risk assessment but this has not been forthcoming and I have been told I could be removed from site by the facilities company ?????

    • Ian Morris

      You describe clear employer negligence and the accidents you have had on the stairs at work are matters for which you can pursue claims for personal injury compensation.

      We would be very happy to help you with this. Please call us on 01225430285 to take this further. Alternatively, you can ask us to call you if you prefer.

  9. Helen

    I have slipped on a wet floor in work and there was no “wet floor” sign in place.
    I have a laceration to my elbow which has restricted movement in my arm. Where do I stand with this with regards to compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      You have a valid right to make a claim for compensation against the employers insurance cover and we would be very happy to assist you with this on a No Win No Fee basis.

  10. David

    Hi Ian,

    Walking in a local shop aisle, scanning the shelves for a particular item, turned the corner walking along the other side of the aisle again scanning the shelves not realising a staff member left the basement store room door wide open and unattended. I fell right into it and luckily, and I have to idea how, I ended up hanging off the other side of the hole by my arms. My chest and shoulders took the impact and lower back from the sheer drop from being on my feet to just hanging and i’m in great pain.

    I felt foolish, the shop worker as he came up from the basement said, I should have seen the door open which at that point I raised my voice and said how dare he leave this unattended and I could have broken my leg or something, he apologies and closed the basement store door. I was in shock and feeling embarrassed and left shortly after, I didn’t think to take a picture, there was no one who witnessed this and I don’t know if they have cameras.

    I there anything that can be done?

    • Ian Morris

      You should ensure that a report of your accident is made – in writing. If an accident book wasn’t completed at the time, you could email the shop in question or their head office, to report what happened and list any injury symptoms sustained.

      The fact that the hatch was left open without any barrier or warning indicates that you were the victim of negligence and my initial view is that you have a good claim that should be pursued. Please call us on 01225430285 or let us call you so that we can help you claim compensation for the injuries you have sustained.

  11. Yvonne Aoun

    Hi I tripped at work fractured my arm in 4 places also my foot and knee also banged my head it was in a customers house January 2018 I got paid from my company my wages for 12 weeks has we pay insurance out of our wages has I am a live in Carer since the accident I have not been right but has usual I soldier on has I have a Morgage also trying to get my husbands visa so have to work since my accident I am in pain every single day and last January I had a bleed in my eye while out in Tunisia visiting my husband it went after a few day march of this year I went to the opticians has my right eye started to go blared I was referred to the emergency eye hospital they operated two days later retinal damage a hole repair ext I have to go back again next week to have the jell removed and laser done . Now having thought about this and asked advice what with the severe pain in knee arm neck and now my other arm and to Top all this the bang to my head may have caused maybe the loss of sight in my eye has the surgeon said possible 50/50 chance of it not recovering I am wondering if I could claim of the care company I work for Has on sick again can you help with this . Kind regards Yvonne

    • Ian Morris

      You may be able to make a claim for compensation, but before we can say whether you have a strong claim or not, we need to know more about the incident in which you were injured and find out how it happened. We can then consider whether or not there is any negligence and if so, help you pursue your claim.

      Please call us on 01225430285 to further discuss this matter with our friendly team. Alternatively, you can email some additional information about the accident in which you sustained the injuries to your arm to so that we can consider this further for you.

  12. Bruce

    My boss told me to clean a manhole when another men he had employed for the day wouldn’t clean it. Whilst climbing down it, without a safety line, I slipped and fell over 2 metres and damaged my arms. I have now been off work for over 6 weeks and have had MRI scans and now await the results.

    • Ian Morris

      You certainly could and should pursue a claim for personal injury compensation for the injuries you sustained at work. Your employer appears to have been negligent by failing to ensure that you were using a safety line and may well have not provided you with the correct training, guidance or advice. We would like to help you make your claim and our specialist Solicitors are ready to assist you. Please call us on 01225430285 so that we can explain the process and help you further.

  13. Sue

    My husband fell down a manhole at work outside his office building (on the company’s forecourt) as the cover of the manhole wasn’t on properly. When he went into the building, his Manager said ‘I saw that the other day’. Other staff witnessed this. My husband asked for the accident to be recorded in the accident book. We went to the emergency center the following day as it was painful and very swollen. An xray shown no broken bones but he was told it was badly sprained and would take at least 2-3 weeks. He was told to self-certificate for the first week, and then return to his GP for a sick certificate. The Director of the company has seen the footage on CCTV. We were going on holiday 2 days after the accident, and we continued to go, although the injury restricted our movements and we couldn’t do anything we planned to do, except sit and rest and limp to the restaurants at meal times. My husband has been back to the doctor today on return from one week holiday and has been signed off for a further 2 weeks, and been told to return if it is still painful as, if it doesn’t heal, they may need to go down a different route. We have text messages to show communication with his company, asking for the accident book to be completed, and his Director seeing the CCTV footage, along with photos of his injury, and photos/video of the manhole cover still not secure several days later (taken by a colleague). Please could you advise on what we should do next? And also whether the week which was originally booked as holiday should be available to re-take later in the year as holiday as it was also covered by self-certificate? Thank you.

    • Ian Morris

      As a general rule of thumb, if someone is unwell or injured whilst on annual leave and they attend a GP who would otherwise have signed them off work, they can be signed off and instead of using annual leave for the period of absence, they can instead take sickness leave. They can then use the annual leave at a later date when they are fit and well and able to enjoy a break from work.

      Given the actual cause of the injury at work, this would appear to indicate that your Husband has a valid right to make a claim for accident at work compensation. If he would like to take this further and pursue a claim against the employers insurance for his injuries and associated losses, we would be happy to help.

  14. Wendy

    Hi Ian
    I had an accident at work on 3 rd October 2019 in which I fell down a step in the kitchen of a cafe whilst waitressing thus injuring my ankle which led to my foot being in a cast for 8 weeks. The company dismissed me after a week saying they had given my PT hours to a full timer. I was advised to sue by various no win no fee claims companies and instructed a solicitor . They have dragged their feet but finally entered my details into a Portal on 6/12/19 after receiving the cafes insurance details . My solicitor informed me on 20/12/19 that the response had come back declined as the insurance company state that there was no live policy at the time of my accident . My solicitor now informs me that they will have to look into whether the company had any insurance at the time and if they didn’t then they will have to re access my claim. I’m frustrated as it’s been nearly 4 months now and the solicitor sounds like they will pull out . What should I do? Am I wasting my time and should I just go to small claims court and sue them for having no insurance ? It’s so stressful I was unable to drive or work for 8 weeks and I have constantly had to chase my solicitor. Can’t they just call the cafe and ask them and surely no live policy means no policy ? I’m worried if I change solicitor whether they will charge me for any work carried out so far. Please can you advise me ?

    • Ian Morris

      Your Solicitor will now review whether there was a live policy and if so, will re-direct your claim to that insurer. If there was no insurance cover in place, the Solicitor can review whether or not there is any prospect of pursuing the claim directly against the owners of the business (against their personal assets).

      Once this process is exhausted and your Solicitor informs you of the next move, you can then consider your options.

      If you are not happy with your Solicitors handling of your claim, you can consider complaining to them. Their complaints policy should be published on their website.

  15. Sylvia

    Can I claim compensation for an accident occurring outside my works near entrance to building? The walkway and area immediately outside the building are still classed as premises belong to my place of work. I slipped on a pen left on the floor which resulted in a nasty fall causing sprains to my left hand, foot and right knee. I received same day treatment from my GP. Then further consultation from walk-in centre who referred me for xrays at a&e the following day resulting in me having to take time off work. The injuries are still ongoing in that driving and preparing food is difficult. I can just about manage to drive only because I own an automatic car. I am now waiting for self referral physiotherapy.

    • Ian Morris

      There is potential to pursue a claim against your employer for the injuries you have sustained. Please call our team on 01225430285 or ask us to call you so that we can further discuss your situation and look in to this matter for you.

  16. Adrian

    I slipped and broke my ankle working at a night club. Stairs and passageway were overcrowded, someone pushed from behind and I slipped on wet stairs. I don’t work directly for the night club, but for security company. Can I sue the night club or do I deal with the security company – my direct employer?

    • Ian Morris

      In the scenario you describe, the liability will rest with the nightclub. If it can be shown that they have allowed the stairs to be wet, with no adequate warning sign or cleaning regime to reduce the risk of slipping, a claim may succeed against them.

      If you would like our help with a claim, please call us on 01225430285 and we’ll further discuss the process with you and explain how we can assist you.

  17. Liz

    I had an accident at work whereby I fell down the stairs. I tore my miniscus and have undergone surgery to repair this. A year on it still hurts to bend my leg.
    Can I claim?

    • Ian Morris

      You can certainly make a claim. Whether or not you have a valid claim will depend on what caused you to fall down the stairs. If there was a slipping hazard on the stairs – such as they were wet or there was a loose item on them with no hazard warning etc, you would likely have a strong claim. If there was a raised edge strip or a damaged section of flooring that caused you to trip, again a claim would be valid.

  18. Catherine Michelin

    My niece has just started a hotel job within the restaurant. The first working day she slipped with her hand full of cutlery. This was due to an agency employee who has mopped the floor and did not display any sign posted.

    Her “supervisor” advised her to stop working as her knee was hurting BUT THEY DID NOT FILL ANY ACCIDENT FORM! The following day, she could not work because of this but went to see her GP.

    Any chance for her to make a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      The cause of the injury – a slip on a wet floor that was not marked with a hazard sign – indicates that there is a decent prospect of succeeding with a claim for compensation. It is important that the details of the injury at work are recorded within the workplace accident book. As it was your Niece’s first day, she would probably not know how or where to report accident information and as such, her supervisor has a responsibility to ensure that a report is made. If she has not already done so, we would recommend that your Niece speaks with her Manager regarding the incident and lack of an accident book report and request that a formal record is made.

      We would be happy to assist her with a claim or to help her understand what her options are regarding such action. Please ask her to call us or if she would prefer, she can send initial information to us via our site.

  19. Sasho

    Fell on a extremely slippery floor at work not long before my shift ended. Got right up and tried stretching it off finished my shift and went home. Mentioned the fall to a couple of employees on floor but that was it. Having a 45 mins ride home when I arrive I could barely get out of car seat. Next two days I stayed home due to excruciating pain in lower back, left hip, left hand and forearm, which were swollen and bruised and have pictures to follow up. Third day I went back in and I had contacted manager and told him what happened during the two days I was out. When I went back I was asked if I’m ok and that was it. I could barely finish 12 hr shift and for the next 3 days I could barely get out of bed. Stayed in and trying to use my own time vacation so I don’t loose income. Is it wrong that no one followed up with an incident report? Did I have to go out of my way requesting one? I’m still in a lot of back pain and have no feel in my left hand.

    • Ian Morris

      We understand your frustration in having to repeatedly chase the employer to complete an accident or incident report form. In the scenario you describe in which you sustained soft tissue injuries as a result of a fall, it is not uncommon for the severity of any injury symptoms to not be immediately apparent. Therefore, for you to have not completed an accident report at the time of your fall is understandable.

      If your employer has now completed an accident report form, that is good to hear. However, if they have not you should make your own record in writing listing what happened and when what caused you to fall, what if any warning signs you saw (or note if there were non) and you should also state to whom you verbally reported the incident at the time. You should then send a copy of this report to your line manager and retain a copy for your own records.

      If you have not already done so, you should seek medical attention in order to get your injuries noted on your medical records and then contact us so that we can discuss your accident at work. Our staff will help you identify whether or not you are able to pursue your claim for soft tissue personal injury compensation.

  20. Jacob

    I slipped at work due to a leaking roof at work that had been verbally reported for years on and off to our boss and ignored until the accident. I have video and photo evidence of this taken before the date of the incident and also a work colleague that witnessed the accident happen and he also verbally reported it, as have numerous colleagues.

    • Ian Morris

      The cause of your accident should have been avoided given that the leak to the roof had previously been reported to the employer on numerous occasions. The reports of the leaking roof should have been acted upon prior to your accident. As such, liability is likely to attach to the employer should you pursue a claim for compensation.

      Providing your injuries were of a sufficient severity you have a valid right to make a claim for compensation and we would be very happy to assist you in making your claim. If you would like to discuss this matter with our specialist staff and find out how we can help you, please call us on 01225430285 or ask us to call you at a time that suits you.

  21. Dave barton

    I was given a day to pick up timber to build racking in the back of the work hire van. I then got emails to take on work which stressed me out somewhat, due to not having enough time to get my van ready.

    I had an ‘over full’ van for about 3 months and I was struggling. I then went off work ill on leave for 2 weeks. At the end of the second week I was trying to finish the inside racking in the van and then fell on the tools etc that were in the back of the work hire van (they would not have been there if I had been allowed time to complete the racking properly) and sustained a broken bone in my foot. I have been to hospital and now I am in an air cast and may need an operation. Can I make a claim due to poor H/S management from my employer?

    • Ian Morris

      There is clearly a valid argument to be made to support your claim here on the basis that your employer had failed to allow you to ensure that your working environment (which would include your works vehicle) is a safe working area. As you have then fallen in that work area due to the tools creating a tripping hazard – that would not otherwise have been present if you had been allowed to complete the racking etc – we feel you do have a valid claim for accident at work compensation.

  22. Jane

    hi, i work in a school kitchen as a dinner lady, last thursday i caught my foot in an electrical cable which was plugged into one of the hotplates, the cables have rubber strips over them to make them flatter to floor but aren’t much good really always moving about, and because the plug point are half way up the wall there is always a loop at the end where cable goes to plug. I was walking into the kitchen and didn’t notice my foot had gone inside the loop of cable, i went flying straight on my right knee banged my arms the pain was agony, it was written in accident book, i haven’t been back to work yet, but i know they don’t pay sick pay and i am single paying rent on a flat with my daughter.

    • Ian Morris

      The cause of your fall would indicate to us that you have a valid claim for compensation against your employer. If you do not receive your usual pay whilst off work through injury (which is likely to be the case), you could recover that by making a claim for compensation and along with the settlement you would get for the injury, if successful you would recover all lost income and incurred costs caused by the injury.

  23. Brian Evans

    If I’m not with that company anymore and now suffering from something that occurred on that job that I didn’t report, and now I’m suffering from pain and damage, is it too late to file a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      UK law allows you to pursue a claim for compensation as long as you do so within 3 years of the date of an incident. However, in your case as there was no report made at the time of the incident, it is likely that you will struggle with sufficient evidence to support your claim.

  24. Beverly

    Hi, I work in a Care home and had a fall at work two days before Xmas last year. The fall was caused by one of the residents leaving a cable on the floor of his room which I trip over landing heavily on my shoulder. I am still in pain and receiving physio for the injury, my employer says he will have nothing to do with it as I received training and should have anticipated any hazards in the room when I entered it. Am I entitled to any compensation? I have had no time off work due to the injury.

    • Ian Morris

      You certainly have the right to make a claim. It could be the case that you may have to accept some contributory negligence in that there may be an argument that you should perhaps of checked for the tripping hazard. However, that should not prevent you from attempting to make a claim.

  25. Lee

    I injured my lower back at work in may. I tripped on damaged flooring which caused soft tissue damage, which caused swelling and sciatic problems. I received physio from occupational health and was given strong pain killers. After 6 weeks I returned to work but my back hasn’t been quite right since. I’ve continued to do the stretches given to me by the physio. Monday night I was operating a heavy lifting assistor and as I lifted I felt a pop and severe pain in the lower part of my back again. Would this be considered as a flare up of my original injury?

    • Ian Morris

      It would appear that the ‘new’ injury is indeed a worsening of or exacerbation of the previously sustained injury. However, we would need to speak with you further to ask some questions about the use of the heavy lift assist equipment and training of use of the same to be able to advise you further on that issue.

      You mention that you initially injured your back when tripping on damaged flooring in May. If you have not already pursued a claim for that, you should certainly consider doing so now as it would appear that you have a every chance of succeeding with such a claim if you were to do so. We would certainly like to help you with this. Please call our team on 01225430285 or ask us to call you at a time that suits you if you would like to take this further.

  26. Warren

    I currently have big problems at work. I am a victim of harassment, moral pressure, bullying and victimization. I do not know what to do. I raised a grievance against my managers but the investigation of the head office is not over.
    I still have to work with them and now since they knows about my grievance it’s become worst. I fell at work, I lost consciousness.
    I was stunned by the fact that no ambulance was called when I collapsed in front of staff and customers, I was down for a while and felt so much pain. This is just unacceptable and I cannot tolerate someone ridiculing me like that.
    I need Help please.

    • Ian Morris

      You mention that you have an ongoing grievance procedure in place. At this stage, you really need to await the outcome of that process.

      You should ensure that any issues you are having with your colleagues and management team are recorded in writing and addressed to the relevant people within your employer – HR, Line Management etc.

  27. Wendy

    I have fallen in work last Thursday down two steps, landed on the floor damaging my ankle and shoulder. Both just heavily bruised and sore/swollen. I don’t believe there is a fault on the stairs, just a bad design. There has been two other reported falls on these steps. Would I be able to claim?

    • Ian Morris

      You do have a right to make a claim, but without an obvious hazard or defect being in situ, the prospects of succeeding with a claim on the basis of ‘poor design’ are limited. However, you should not simply rule out your prospects on the basis of this response as we have not seen any photographs or plan of the area.

      We would be happy to review any photographs you have taken of the accident site and seek expert opinion for you from our specialist Solicitors.

  28. Martin

    Hi, I had a fall at work where I twisted my ankle and ripped my ligaments. I was signed off for two weeks and for one of the weeks I couldn’t use my ankle at all, I needed to go back to work for money the doctors signed me back to work on light duties but as a ground worker I got to work and they sent me to a site where the ground was really uneven and the ankle kept wanting to twist so I had to go home, now I’ve been left at home as they said they have no light duties but they are refusing to pay me any sick pay what so ever, now I’ve been off work for 3 weeks (this is now week number 4) without pay.

    • Ian Morris

      Unfortunately, the issue you raise about coping with a loss of wages as a result of an accident that causes an injury and forces you to take time away from work is a commonly aired problem. UK law does not oblige an employer to pay full wages to any person off worth through sickness or injury (even if it were a work place injury) and there is also no obligation to provide light duties if non are available.

      In your case, the only route you have to recover your lost income is to pursue a claim for compensation against your employers insurance for the injury you sustained. With that in mind, we would like to know more about the cause of the initial ankle injury and how you came to fall. It could well be the case that you have a valid claim for accident at work compensation that would see you able to recover compensation for the injury you have sustained as well as enable you to recover any lost income or incurred expenses.

      We would like to help you explore your rights and find out whether or not you can make a claim.

  29. Lorraine

    A couple of months ago I had a fall at work, went to use the lady’s toilets as I went in I slipped with my walking stick on the toilet floor because the cleaner had been in and cleaned it, but never put a wet floor sign out to notify us of a slip risk.

    After my fall, I went straight to the hospital as my foot had started to swell. I had to stop using my walking stick and start using crutches. I still went to work a day or 2 later. I feel that due to my disability the work place wants me out. They made me talk to their health management team. Work said they would terminate my contract if I did not speak to them, because I have had more than 3 sick days.

    I went to talk to the Manager and told him that I was sorry for not getting to work after my fall and tried to explain that my younger daughter had come forward about something bad and I was trying to deal with that too, but the boss just said; ‘I thought you were grateful for this job’ – which hurt because I am grateful. I feel I need to find another place of work because they still haven’t followed the advice of their own heath management team. Don’t know what to do any more!

    • Ian Morris

      You have a valid claim for slipping accident compensation against your employer for the injury to your foot/ankle caused when you slipped on a wet floor that was not marked with a hazard warning sign. You mention that you went straight to Hospital regarding the injury which is good as there will be medical evidence available to support any claim if you were to make one. May I ask if the details of your slipping accident were recorded in an accident book at work?

      If you would like to discuss the possibility of making a No Win No Fee claim for compensation, please call us on 01225430285 as we can explain your rights, explain what No Win No Fee means and ask you the right questions to find out whether or not you can pursue a claim. Alternatively, if you would prefer to liaise with us via our website and email, please use the ‘start a claim’ page of the site and we’ll provide assistance that way.

  30. Marie

    Hi I had a accident at work where a patient fell on me from behind a curtain. I’m out of work for over 2 years and had surgery in December 2018, still not right and having to see consultant still, I had to pay for all my medical costs here in Ireland, I’m now not being paid from work. Is there anyway the nhs can made pay for my medical costs.

    • Ian Morris

      We are not aware of any way in which you can force the NHS to pay for your medical costs whilst in Ireland. The NHS is only obliged to cover the medical costs of permanent residents of the UK who meet the eligibility criteria for such funded health care. Indeed, many UK citizens living overseas are not entitled to free NHS care and have to pay for any care they receive whilst in the UK.

  31. Sarah hine

    I was working for royal mail and felt pressured by my bosses to take on two duties that day as my team member was on holiday and we were understaffed. I was delivering mail trying to fit all the work in and fell off a step dislocating and breaking ankle having to have metal plates put in, this was due to me rushing so I could do my team members work as well, can I claim?

    • Ian Morris

      Although you were under pressure to work hard and were probably doing more work than you should, that in and of itself would not see you succeed with a claim for falling off a step. In this matter, you will need to demonstrate a fault or hazard with the step to succeed with a claim.

  32. Angela

    Hi. I had accident in warehouse I slipped on something that had not been cleaned up. Resulting in a broken wrist.

    • Ian Morris

      If you have not already done so, you should pursue a claim for compensation for the injuries you have sustained and the losses you have incurred as a result of your broken wrist.

      We would be very happy to pursue your claim for you.

  33. Marie

    Was in work and slipped on lino which is quite worn. I have had two visits to the doctor and have had to go physio. Been in constant pain for over three weeks and haven’t had good night’s sleep since the fall. Had to take time off work and don’t receive sick pay only ssp. Where do I stand on making claim?

    • Ian Morris

      To succeed with a claim for slipping accident compensation, you’ll need to be able to identify a viable cause of your fall. In this case, you mention worn lino on the floor. Do you know if anyone had ever made written note of the worn floor as a hazard or was there a spillage or substance upon it that caused you to fall? Perhaps our article on valid slipping claims will be of further help.

  34. Jayne

    2 years ago I slipped walking out of the office on ice right outside the main door. I went down with a bump and complained to the management. I was in pain and it was put in the accident book. I went home but was back at work the next day only to find that they dismissed me as I didn’t fit in. I couldn’t do anything about it as I was still in my probation period.

    Now, 2 years later I have severe, debilitating back pain which had caused a protruding disc, spinal stenosis and cervical spondylisis which I’ve been told has been caused by a trauma to the spine such as a fall.

    The only fall I know if was this one 2 years ago. Can I do anything about claiming compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      Given that your accident happened 2 years ago, you still have a period of 12 months of your claim limitation period remaining. In the UK, any person injured in an accident has a 3-year period in which they can make a claim against the person(s) that they hold responsible for their injuries.

      In your case, as you slipped on ice directly outside of the office in which you worked, you may be able to claim against the employer as it could perhaps be argued that they ought to have erected a hazard warning sign or gritted the area in question. If the area where you fell was not the property of the employer and was a public footpath, claiming would be far harder.

      As your accident was recorded in the accident book where you work, there is evidence to prove that you did have a fall. Do you have medical evidence that will link well with the accident book entry, i.e, did you attend your GP or a Hospital at the time of your fall or within a few weeks of it? It would be useful to know when you attended your GP and whether you have any pre-existing back issues?

  35. Diana

    I was abroad on a business trip and had a nasty fall walking to the office (on a path not owned by the company or that the company is responsible for). 2.5 years later I am on my 3rd major surgery and I will be left with some permanent damage. To date I have been paid for time off but this may change. What legal rights do I have and could I make a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      As you were injured whilst outside of the UK, you will need to seek legal advice from a specialist Solicitor working within the legal system of whichever country you were in when you tripped and fell.

      Within the UK, any person who has a fall on a public footpath or on public ground due to a defect or hazard has a legal right to make a claim for compensation against the landowner responsible for the area. The claim will succeed or fail depending on the nature of the hazard that caused the fall and whether or not the defendant has been negligent in their maintenance and inspections of their property to identify and remove any tripping hazards. Whether those rules apply in the country in which you fell is something you will have to investigate within that countries legal system.

  36. Mark

    I walked through a fire door that led to the yard and because the sun was extremely bright I tripped over a very low barrier and hurt my hand . The barrier wasn’t even bolted to the ground.

    • Ian Morris

      When you say you tripped over a barrier, what kind of barrier was it and what was it a barrier for? The fact that the barrier wasn’t secured to the ground indicates that it may not be an official barrier and could therefore be a tripping hazard? If so, you may have a valid claim.

      We would need to see some photographic evidence of the barrier in question and the proximity of it to the doorway before we could advise you further.

  37. Paulina

    I have injured my knee at work, a fall on wet floor, it was 15 years ago, got an operation on my knee, can i still claim ? The cleaner was busy cleaning the floor and there was no wet floor board.

    • Ian Morris

      Unfortunately, you are unable to make a claim for compensation after you were injured 15 years ago. UK law applies a strict claim limitation period of 3 years from the date of an accident. This period states that any person who has suffered a non-fault injury can make a claim, but must do so within 3-years of the date of the injury.

  38. Cameron

    Hi I slipped at work today as I am still waiting for my safety shoes from my employers, my leg got trapped under a shelf the manager was on but she made me fill out the accident book, is this ok?

    • Ian Morris

      If you slipped due to the employer having failed to provide you with the safety shoes, it is likely that employer negligence will attach and you could well pursue a claim for compensation if the injury you have sustained is sufficiently severe. It is good that you have filled in an accident book record as this will provide good evidence of what happened.

      On face value, it would appear that you have a valid claim for compensation further to your accident at work and as such, we suggest that you either call us on 01225430285 or use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website to get further help with your claim.

  39. Shea

    I was hurt 4 years ago in a job I no longer work. I fell and hit the side of a concrete slab in the building causing me to break my jaw bone, even have a x-ray to prove at the hospital. I got workers comp for a short time which was about 1/2 weeks pay and for my gas and having to go to the hospital. But they never compensated me for my personal injury pain and suffering, am I entitled to anything after all these years?

    • Ian Morris

      UK law would not allow you to take action given that 4 years have now passed since your accident. The UK law on personal injury claim limitation is strict in that any person injured in an accident who is over 18 years of age, must take action within 3 years of the date of the incident.

  40. John

    I was making a beer delivery at a bar, their Basement floor was broken and the Ladder for the building. I fell into the crack in the floor and broke my ankle and I have been out of work for two months and still In a lot of pain, what do i do?

    • Ian Morris

      If your accident had happened in the UK, we would have immediately taking a claim forward for you for the injuries to your ankle, also recovering any lost income and incurred costs/expenses. UK law would support a claim for the scenario you describe in that it would appear that the floor of the premises was damaged and dangerous.

  41. tareka carter

    I fell on the ice in coming out of my jobs front door what should i do?

    • Ian Morris

      You should report the incident and any injury to the employer and make an accident book record of your fall. Whether or not you can claim compensation will depend on who is responsible for the area of land upon which you slipped. If the employer owns that land, it could be argued that they should have a gritting/salting and clearing policy in place. If they have breached this policy, you could pursue a claim against them for the injuries you sustained when you slipped.

  42. 07572764930

    Do I have a claim!

    I slipped at a service users house on urine covered eco sheets which had been hidden under a nonslip rug. Causing it to be slippery. I came down the stairs and slipped onto my back and wrist.

    • Ian Morris

      Whether or not you can pursue a claim in this incident will depend on who hid the sheets under the rug. If it was the service user who hid the sheets, the employer is not likely to be liable as they would not have had any knowledge of the hazard. If however, the service user had done this previously and the employer was aware but hadn’t warned you to be aware of the possible risk, you may have a valid claim against the employer.

  43. Kev

    Hi i recently had a slip at work in a tipping bay where there is loose residual and recycling waste which caused me to dislocate my knee in resulting of having time off work with physiotherapy to strengthen my knee again. My work paid my in full for 7 weeks but then decided to put me on ssp for the last week and half of my sick note. I have also lost monthly performance bonus due to being off work. I also still have soreness and no confidence in my knee if it will dislocate again or not.

    • Ian Morris

      Dislocation injuries are extremely painful, distressing and can carry long term implications. The knee is a complex joint and injuries to the tissues will be serious in the impact they have on the person involved.

      Dislocation of the knee is a serious issue and it is fair to say that it will never quite be ‘right’ again when the pre accident condition is considered. Therefore your concerns regarding the strength of your knee going forward are totally understandable.

      My initial view of your situation is that you have a valid claim for your knee injury. Whilst your employer has been good in paying you for 7 weeks, that does not prevent you from having the legal right to make a claim for accident at work compensation. Such a claim would ensure that any long term damage would be taken in to account in any settlement.

  44. Charlotte

    Hi I recently broke my foot (5th metatarsal) at work going down a platform step in our new office building which caught me off guard and whilst I managed to catch myself, I twisted and broke my foot that was on the edge of the platform step still. There is no handrail for this platform step and it appears to catch other people out as well with many people commenting it’s an accident waiting to happen and seeing others still trip up it etc. Whilst I am able to work from home due to my line of work and therefore have not suffered loss of income. I am a runner who takes part in races nearly every weekend and I have not been able to take part in pre booked races so have lost over £100 in race fees, gym membership as well as missing out on some social Xmas activities with friends. I am unsure whether I can claim or not.

    • Ian Morris

      You may have a valid claim in this matter, but it is hard to say for certain either way without getting some further information. Ideally, a photograph of the step would be really helpful, although you may not be able to obtain one whilst you are away from work due to injury (although you could possibly ask a colleague to obtain one for you?). You mention others have either been caught out by the step or that they have mentioned that it is hazardous in the way it is situated etc. With that in mind, there could be some useful evidence available to support a claim and it would be a good idea to make sure a report of your injury has been made with the employer listing the lack of handrail, signage and mention of others being caught out by the step and commenting that it is dangerous.

      Given your description of the incident and the impact the injury to your foot is having on your day-to-day life and usual activities, it is more than reasonable to pursue a claim for compensation. I would suggest that we take some further details and present the claim to one of our specialist Solicitors who could then contact you for a more detailed discussion regarding the strength or otherwise of your claim. If you would like to take this further, please use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website and we can then call you to get the ball rolling. We’ve also got an article on foot injury claims if it is of interest.

  45. Demetra

    I have been employed by ups for approximately 5 to 6 weeks. I experienced a slip and fall where my ankle and boot was caught between the truck and the dock and I fell and twisted and sprained my ankle and ligament and hurt my right shoulder, upper shoulder and back. I’m trying to find out if I have a workers compensation claim. I am a part-time employee there, seasonal worker.

    • Ian Morris

      Under UK law, you may have a valid claim in this matter. If someone else was responsible for failing to properly park the truck and left the gap, your prospects would be good. If however, it was you that parked the vehicle badly, you may have less of a chance of succeeding. Given that you are a seasonal worker, there is a possibility that you did not receive the correct training and if so, you may have a claim.

  46. Chris

    I’ve worked for my company since 2014, first week in the job and by then we had received no health and safety info and I tripped in a cleaning room on an electric cable that was left on floor. That week we had no accident book set up as we had just opened and I did not report it. I had a problem with my ankle after this but just kept taking cocodamol tablets and ibuprofen to stop the pain. Ive had a problem with this ankle ever since. I put up with pain as I’d been diagnosed with arthritis in left knee and my doctor also said it was arthritis in my right ankle.
    Jump to 2017 and I slipped on a plastic disc on my van ramp. Unknown to me as I was taking all these painkillers I snapped a tendon on the right ankle. The pain was covered with my tablets. Upshot is I now need a new knee which is wear and tear and I understand that. But my ankle needs a tendon transfer and reconstruction of heel and foot. Am I just unlucky or does the original injury apply?

    • Ian Morris

      The original injury will be considered should you pursue a claim for compensation and it is likely that some of your injury will be seen as pre-existing or ‘wear and tear’. Of course, you therefore won’t be able to claim the full value for such injuries (if you succeed with your claim) as a defendant would rightly claim that they were not liable for the pre-existing element of any injury.

      However, you can pursue a claim for the worsening or exacerbation of any pre-existing condition. With expert medical assessments a report can be provided that would detail the pre-existing condition and worsening, speeding up of or exacerbation of symptoms and a claim for this can then proceed.

  47. Shane

    Hi so last year in October sometime I was in an accident. I had accepted a job putting a roof on my grandma’s house and during the job it had just started raining and I slipped & fell off the roof and broke both my arms messed up my neck and back. As I said, this was last year & being that it was a family member, I didn’t think it necessary at the time to pursue any legal action & assumed that my grandma would do right by me. Now here we are a year later, I have medical bills that are still piling up that I cannot pay I spent a total of four and a half months with no form of income after the accident. I mean there’s a lot of hardships that I suffered because of what happened to me I would like to know if I have any form of a case in which to be compensated, because I cannot pay my medical bills and I’m about to have to claim bankruptcy.

    • Ian Morris

      Sadly, it doesn’t matter whether you are working for a family member or whether you are working for anyone else, under UK law, as the worker you have responsibility to manage the Health and Safety on the site that you are working on. If you have failed to erect safety scaffolding around the building to prevent such accidents, the liability for any injuries would rest with you rather than the homeowner or client.

      I’m afraid I can’t see how you can hope to hold someone liable in this matter.

  48. Douglas

    Recently at my job I came into work and the platform that I walk on to do my job a section was taken out, meaning I had a hole in the floor in the middle of this platform that I do my job on, I informed my union rep and the safety manager which the safety team had wrote up a paper to have it fixed immediately I came in everyday for almost two weeks and it was never fixed I asked about it once twice three times a night and they kept telling me there was no Manpower to take care of it right now but they would get it fixed, I ended up falling and hurting my arm and shoulder and right now I’m on restrictions I can’t lift my arm past my shoulder and not sure if I will be able to, after the fall I came in the next day and I found out that they had never planned on fixing that hole in the floor, the reason was to compensate someone that might need to fill in one night, that might be too tall to do this job that would be a place for them to stand, but since I have fallen they would discuss it with the day shift supervisor and employee to see if maybe they could consider other options, my question is safety wrote up an order and it was supposed to be fixed but they did not do it and had no intentions , do I have a claim because this is an accident that never should have happened I was on them from day one and every day about fixing this, because it was painful just on my body to have to keep stepping over it or stepping inside this to do my job, and kept telling them this until I fell.

    • Ian Morris

      The scenario you describe would appear to indicate that you do indeed have a valid claim against your employer on the grounds of employer negligence. Your fall was clearly avoidable if the reports you repeatedly made were acted upon and the potential hazard to your health removed.

      We recommend that you use our ‘start a claim’ website page to commence your claim for accident at work compensation. We’d be very happy to help you on a No Win No Fee basis with your claim.

  49. Yvonne

    Is it right for an employer to give you your P45 right after you have had a serious accident at work – without an offer of future employment once you have recovered (which I haven’t)?

    Ever since the accident, my health has gone down hill. I was the only cleaner on a building site, so I was alone and not properly protected.

    • Ian Morris

      It is not right for an employer to immediately hand you your P45 and effectively dismiss you if you have been injured at work. Of course, an employer can dismiss an employee if they are guilty of gross misconduct – but the correct procedures would have to be followed.

      In your case, you may have a valid claim for compensation after you were injured in an accident at work. We would be happy to discuss your accident and injuries with you to see if you could pursue a claim. If you would like to find out whether or not you can claim, please use our ‘start a claim’ page to submit some further information to us and we’ll call you to discuss this further.

  50. andrew

    Im a HGV driver, and after finishing a 10 hour night shift, i attempted to climb onto the rear catwalk of the truck to disconnect airlines from the trailer (standard practice). There is a fold down metal step that is used to climb up to the catwalk ( approx 3-4 feet from ground).
    It was very dark, and i was obviously tired but as I stepped up onto the catwalk but my foot slipped off the fold down step resulting in me falling to the ground and breaking my foot and being off work for 4 weeks without pay.
    I do not know exactly why my foot slipped off the step, the catwalks are often covered in grease from the trailer couplings, but as it was so dark i could not see if there was grease on the step or not.
    I remember a company rep came to my home to take details to put in the accident book – and i felt he was really trying to influence how my statement was worded (i assume to imply i was at fault for slipping). I never had any training or familiarisation on the type of vehicle – although i had been driving that type for a year so employer could probably argue that i knew how to use it through experience? Also I cant remember when i started working for them if i signed something to say that i wouldn’t claim in case of accident? – hard to find out as i don’t have copy of my contract (zero hours) and employer wont give me copy – i have since left the company so they are not interested in even talking to me anymore – your advice would be greatly appreciated.

    • Ian Morris

      If the step you slipped on was covered in oil or grease and therefore slippery, you would undoubtedly have a valid claim. Of course, if you simply slipped or are unable to say why you slipped it will be far harder for you to succeed with a claim. Any claimant must demonstrate negligence or a breach of health and safety to succeed with a claim against an employer and there is one area that you may be able to place such a liability – the failure of the employer to provide any training or induction in to the use of the vehicle.

  51. Kathleen Tiimmons

    I was contracted to clean at a lorry place. I was cleaning the offices and had to come down a lot of stairs which were out side. I was taking rubbish to the bins when my ankle gave way and I fell 3 steps from bottom. I rang my boss but he didn’t come out so I had to ring my Husband to come and fetch me to take me to Hospital. I found out that I had badly sprained my ankle. I was only in the job 2 weeks. I do have a disablity of which i told my employer. The week after my boss came out to my house to fill in a accident report and then he told me that I wasn’t allowed on the site anymore.

    • Ian Morris

      If your employer has terminated your employment in a manner that you think could be contrary to employment law, you should immediately contact your Union or speak with an employment law Solicitor.

      Regarding your injury at work, if you fell simply because your ankle gave way, you would not be able to pursue a claim for compensation. However, if you fell because of employer negligence or a fault with the stairs in question or some kind of tripping hazard on the stairs, you could pursue a claim.

  52. daryl

    I had a fall through a factory roof last week at work. I was erecting scaffolding so that a company could work up there safely with an edge protection handrail. Unfortunately, I fell approximately 6 meters through a skylight, through the suspended ceiling and through a table landing on my back with force. I spent a couple of days in Hospital and had MRI scans due to my injuries. The result of the scans showed that I now have a disc protruding and hitting my spinal column for which I am now awaiting the advice of a spinal surgeon.

    Who is liable for this as there was no safety netting under the roof? I hadn’t had a site induction nor have I signed any RAMS for this job. Any advice would be appreciated.

    • Ian Morris

      The lack of induction and full attention to health and safety requirements could indicate that your employer is liable in this matter. Given that you were working at height, the risk of injury was clearly foreseeable and one would expect the highest possible attention to health and safety.

      I would suggest that we speak further with you regarding your fall from height at work as my initial view is that you should pursue a claim for compensation in this matter.

  53. Mandy

    I fell in work 5 days ago, and broke my foot. I am currently in a fracture shoe returning to The fracture clinic tomorrow. The chef had placed a 10 pk of 1pts of milk on the floor outside of a chiller door while inside taking stock which i went flying over. I am not entitled to any company sick pay as I have only been there for 6 months. I don’t want to get this person in trouble by claiming though! Are the company responsible? Do you think I would be entitled to anything as I have no other income?

    • Ian Morris

      It is not acceptable to block a walk-way with items that could create a tripping hazard so in this case, you may have a valid claim against the employers insurance for the injuries and loss of income you have sustained. You do not need to worry about claiming and impacting on the person who placed the milk in the way as they will not be in trouble. You can read more about not needing to worry about how a claim will affect an employer or employees in this article.

      I recommend that you use our ‘start a claim’ option on our website to make further contact so that we can present the details of your claim to our specialist Solicitors.

  54. tangee

    Will I have a claim if a customer knocked me over in work and I bruised my ribs causing me to miss work?

    • Ian Morris

      You would be unlikely to succeed with such a claim if it was clearly just an unfortunate accident and the customer had accidentally bumped in to you. If however, the employer had contributed to this incident by obstructing the customers area with stock or cages of products and forcing you to work in a small space that is shared with customers in a busy environment, you could possibly succeed with such a claim.

  55. Brenton Cook

    I have a co-worker that tripped at work and slammed his hand against solid steel. Our employer told him just to take ibuprofen and ice it. It stayed swollen and was getting a little worse on the third day. They told him he was icing it wrong but he firmly suggested that he goes and get it x-rayed. Our supervisor took him and when he got the results of the x-ray his supervisor and the nurse looked at it without his consent and then wouldn’t show it to him. Is that legal for them to do?

    • Ian Morris

      In the UK, the employer would not be viewing an x-ray without an employees permitted consent. Unfortunately, we cannot advise as we are a UK based personal injury specialist with expertise in UK laws relating to this subject.

  56. Sam

    My partner slipped on oil in the factory he worked out and now he has a herniated disk and extremely movement restricting Sciatica. His employer did a risk assessment and accepted fault for the injury. They have sent him on physio therapy and so far has had most of the year off work as he has a very physically demanding job which he is now unable to do.
    He is considering sueing his employer but we are scared incase they sack him. With a back injury, he may struggle to find other employment. What should we do?

    • Ian Morris

      Your partner can claim compensation for this accident and his employer can’t sack him for doing so. Your partner would entitled to a settlement for the pain and discomfort caused to them by the injury sustained and also to recover costs for private rehabilitation therapies or even surgery if needed and they would be able to recover any loss of income.

      Regarding your partners employment, your partner should not fear making a claim against the employer. Any claim would be made against the employers ’employer liability insurance’ cover and as such would not impact directly on the business or their colleagues. Further, and more importantly, your partner has a legal right to pursue a claim for compensation if he believes that someone else’s negligence lead to him sustaining a notable injury and left him out of pocket – as in this case.

  57. Savana

    I work as an apprentice truck mechanic, and we had the floor painted; but they didn’t put enough grit substance into the flooring to provide grip. We emailed health and safety about this but didn’t get a response, and today I slipped and fell flat on my back. My back is in pain and the doctor has said I need to take two weeks off to rest. It’s also caused my PTSD to spike due to this event. I don’t know if I’m able to make a claim or if the amount of the claim would be worth the stress of the claim. Any advice?

    • Ian Morris

      As the employer was put on notice by you and colleagues of a possible hazard (slippery floor) and failed to rectify the problem, you would have a valid claim against the employer with reasonable prospects of succeeding.

      You should ensure that your physical and emotional symptoms – particularly with regards to a flare up of PTSD are noted by your GP to ensure that they could form part of any claim.

      Our claims process is designed to be stress free and as such, you would not need to be concerned about that causing you further worry.

  58. Jasper Freestone

    I work in a bar, the old non stick bar floor had recently been torn up and the floor had now been painted with a shiny and slippery when wet surface. For the last 2 weeks I had been saying the floor is unsafe to work on as it’s very dangerous when wet and working on a bar there is bound to be some form of spillages. On Monday morning, I was putting some glasses in a shelf and in the middle of the floor, due to a leak from a bottle bin, there was some liquid. I ultimately slipped on this and as a 6ft male hit my head on the bar surface very badly and had to go to A&E with suspected concussion and a bleeding wound just above my eye socket that is more than likely going to scar, according to the hospital. I suffered from a lack of memory as I do not remember the incident taking place and have only got my information of the incident through looking at the cctv of the fall. A video that is now saved onto my phone. With a bleeding head, my duty manager said I should be okay to go without visiting A&E explaining I should go back to work, it was with my own advice that I decided to go to hospital. Would I be able to claim against the business for the ultra slippy floor and poor first aid treatment?

    • Ian Morris

      The employer has been negligent – by the sounds of it – with regards to their new floor surface. Given that you have put them on notice of your concerns regarding the dangerous and hazardous nature of the floor surface and their inaction to that report of a risk, you have a very strong claim for compensation against the employer.

      I would recommend that you contact us further as we would be very happy to take forward your claim against your employer for the injuries and any subsequent loss of income or cost you have incurred as a result of your fall.

  59. Jane

    I started work at a fast food restaurant and had an induction. I had to shadow other employees and was told to wear gloves to handle goods, so I went to collect them. However, whilst on my way, I slipped on the floor breaking my glasses, injuring my mouth and teeth with bruising to my upper eye, knee and elbow.

    My Manager helped me up as I was stunned, then wrote it in the accident book. I went to A&E and I really felt sick. I also had to go to a Dentist. I am very worried that my teeth are damaged.

    After the accident, my Manager said that the floor was not wet and he blamed my footwear for my fall. I was wearing ‘pumps’ with a rubber sole with good grip! The floor was very slippery and I was not told about the surfaces or given specific instructions regarding what footwear was required. In my view, I did not receive adequate health and safety training and there were no signs to warn about the slippery floor. Am I entitled to claim compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      Given the lack of training you mention, no specific instructions regarding appropriate footwear and no hazard warning sign on display it would be wise to further proceed with a claim for compensation.

      Of course, the employer may be able to mount a robust defence to this claim, but we think we can seek to pursue this matter further for you.

  60. Helen

    Hi. The reception area of the building I work in is having a refurb. New tiles have been laid on the floor but the large fixed mat at the entrance is pending replacement. The new tiles are slightly thicker than the old meaning they are slightly higher than the mat (the tiles & mat where previously flush). There is nothing to highlight this.
    Walking into reception 3 days ago I tripped on the lisp and landed on the tiles with my knees & elbows taking the main impact.
    Accident logged at the time. For the past 3 days I have been off work (paid) bruised, stiff & sore (knees, elbows, upper arms & shoulders).
    I have not seeked medical help & feel I’m now on the mend.
    Am I entitled to compo for pain & suffering?

    • Ian Morris

      Given the lack of signage to warn about the temporary tripping hazard created by the refurbishment of your working area, I think you have grounds to pursue a claim against the employer for your injuries. However, it does appear (thankfully) as if you have escaped serious injury in this incident. Given the lack of medical treatment and no loss of income, if you are recovered and will not require medical attention you may not have the severity of injury needed to enable you to pursue a claim.

  61. John

    I was recently involved in a slip at work while pushing a non running vehicle for a large auction company. I slipped in the yard I worked in and damaged the muscles around my knee to the point it wasn’t weight bearing for a few days. I attended hospital for an X-ray and had a day off work due to this. My fall was in a section of the yard where there is a transition from loose stones to tarmac on a slight gradient. I was given no manual handling training or an induction to the company and was employed as a car cleaner so I believe being asked to do this initially was wrong. Do I have grounds for a personal injury claim as I am still getting pain 8 weeks after the initial incident?

    • Ian Morris

      The scenario you describe would indicate employer negligence in this incident and as such, my initial view is that you do have a valid claim against your employer for the injury sustained.

      • Crystal

        I hurt my back at work Dec 26 2017 lifting a heavy patient. I filed a claim at work and went to the doctor which I was placed on light duty for 3 weeks. I no longer work there but have noticed that my back is hurting worse now than it has been months ago.

        • Ian Morris

          UK law allows you a period of 3-years from the date of your accident or injury at work in which you can make a claim. With that in mind, you are within that time frame. If you are still suffering from symptoms related to your injury at work, make sure you see your GP in order that the details can be properly reported and recorded on your medical records.

  62. Derek agge

    Good morning, i had a slip at work resulting in me having a knee replacement operations. I have been off work for 6 months, now i’m in the recovery stage i’m now able to take steps. Work wants me back to work asp even though my sick note runs out 18th August, based on the clinical case workers advice.

    • Ian Morris

      You should follow the advice of your medical professional rather than the desires of your employer. Of course, if the employer is able to offer you work in a way that is manageable to you without impacting on your injury and you are able to get to and from work then there is no harm in returning earlier.

      Given the severity of your injury and the impact that it had upon you (having to have knee replacement surgery is a serious consequence), you should look in to making a claim for knee injury compensation if you have not already done so.

  63. Lorraine Hazley

    I work as a barmaid. 2 weeks ago we had our staff get together, a team bonding day out. At the end of the day we all went back to the bar for food and drinks, which was subsidised for the staff at £2 a drink. I’m not really a big drinker so I was asked if I would do the bar and serve my work mates and the bosses there drinks.

    3 hrs into the party, lots of shots and plenty of drink had been had by my work mates and the bosses and they were pretty intoxicated. By then I had ran out of some of the drinks, so I went into the cold container fridge to get a box of beer. As I did so, I tripped over another box of beer which was just set down in the middle of the fridge. In trying to save myself and the beer, I put my hand out so I wouldn’t fall flat on my face, but I hurt my hand and wrist. At the time but thought nothing of it and got on with my job, even though it was sore I only thought I had just sprained it.

    2 weeks later it was still sore, so I went to A&E to get an X-ray done which showed I had broken my wrist from the fall. Now my wrist is in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks and I can’t do my job now to the cast is off and the break is healed. Can I make a claim against my employer for loss of earnings and personal injury compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      You can make a claim for compensation for your broken wrist and lost earnings, as such, i’d recommend that you use our ‘start a claim’ page to get things moving. Whilst it would have been better if the details of the accident had been reported immediately and medical attention sought straight away, there is still a reasonable prospect of succeeding with a claim for accident at work compensation here.

      The box of beer should not simply be left as a tripping hazard in the middle of a working area and as such, your employer could be found liable for your fall here.

      If you haven’t already done so, you should make a written report of the accident to your employer – ideally within an accident book, but if that is not possible, simply email your employer to explain what has happened – as you have done in your comment on our site.

      We look forward to receiving your claim form and will then call you to take your claim further.

  64. Mary

    I tripped at work causing a fractured wrist. It has all been reported and HSE came out to analyse what I tripped over. They have advised my boss to screed over the grate on which I tripped.
    My recovery off work is my own holiday time as I work at a Secondary College.
    My boss is a bit snarky with me about me falling. I’m wondering now whether to make a claim. I haven’t lost any wages just holiday time with a cast on my arm.

    • Ian Morris

      Given the HSE’s recommendation to your employer to screed the grate that caused you to trip indicates that you do have a valid claim for tripping accident compensation against your employer. Whilst there is no guarantee of success, there has clearly been a tripping hazard identified and because we work on a fully No Win No Fee basis, you can pursue the claim without risking anything personally.

      Work for a secondary college, you need have no worries about any implications to your work should you pursue a claim for compensation and even though you have not lost income, losing your annual leave and having your freedom and independence impaired with a cast on your arm is certainly worthy of making a claim for compensation.

      • Mary

        Thanks for your reply,

        I read your description on tripping accidents and apparently the dip in the grate is only about 1cm deep. According to your stats it must be below 1 inch, so I don’t think I would have a valid claim.
        It does currently have cones around the area though and the trip I had is recorded on our CCTV.

  65. Lil

    I had a fall on 3rd July no fault of my own causing dislocated left shoulder and fractured patella I had to stay in hospital 7 days now home and daughter having to do everything for me do u think I have a claim

    • Ian Morris

      Whether or not you have a valid claim for compensation will depend on the cause of your fall. Whilst it was no fault of your own, is it possible to attribute your fall and subsequent injuries to the negligence of a 3rd party or person?

      Our expert staff will be able to identify whether or not you have a valid claim by having a quick telephone conversation with you.

  66. Gail

    I work as a carer and was coming out of a call and slipped on some mud and twisted my leg which is now painful. The place we have to walk has a slope and is dark. It also has a rusty old rail at the side of the door which is unsafe if you leant on it there is a 8 ft drop. Theres no sign warning you either. Ive put it in the accident book. I am now experiencing pain in my lower back but havnt attended hospital. Whats your thoughts please?

    • Ian Morris

      We think that the scenario you describe and the details of your accident and injuries should be brought to the attention of one of our specialist Solicitors as you could well have a claim for compensation.

      Employers have a strict obligation to adequately risk assess the workplace and make any hazards as safe as possible. In this case, there is an argument that your employer has been negligent and this could mean that you could successfully claim compensation. Of course, we can’t guarantee anything at this stage but we would like to speak with you further.

  67. nora

    Someone fell at work who is obese and her knee has given out on her before, there was not anything to cause her fall or to trip. She hurt her shoulder but we feel it was due to her obesity.

    • Ian Morris

      If there was no hazard or item on the floor (such as a spillage of water with a lack of hazard sign, a raised lump or a hole in the floor for example) then there would not be a claim.

      However, you cannot simply assume that her knee gave way due to her weight. There is no evidence for that and such an assumption could count against an employer.

  68. Karen

    I am looking for advice please. I tripped at work I thought I had collided with a colleague but he denies this and said that I had been dashing past doorway & that as he stepped back, I fell to the floor face down. I had 8 weeks off work and still in pain 6 months later.

    • Ian Morris

      Do you know what the contents of any accident book record relating to your accident show? I assume that your memory of the incident is unclear? It would be best for us to speak with you on the telephone to find out a little more so that we can better understand what happened and then offer you advice accordingly.

  69. Andy

    I’m a hgv class 2 food delivery driver, after i completed a delivery, closed the tail lift, walking towards the cab on a wet surface i stepped wrong and broke my ankle. At the moment i have a plaster cast for at least 6 weeks, am i entitled to claim?

    • Ian Morris

      Whether or not you are entitled to claim will depend on what caused you to sustain your injury. If you simply misplaced your footing and suffered an injury, there will be no negligent party and therefore no claim. If however, you were injured because of a hazard on the ground – such as a broken step or a hole in the surface of the ground, or if the ground was wet (only applicable if was is inside), then you have a right to at least pursue a claim with the hope of a successful outcome.

      • Angela Mctiernan

        I broke my finger at work escorting a patient back to the ward i was holding the door open for the porter and it came back and cought my finger do i have a claim

        • Ian Morris

          The cause of your injury at work could lead to a successful claim against your employer. However, before we can say whether or not you have a valid claim for work accident compensation, we need to speak with you to find out a little more about the door in question with regard to whether or not it had a slow-close mechanism fitted or if one that was fitted was faulty. Also, are there any warning signs on display regarding the door and risk of injury?

  70. Beverly israel

    Hi my name is Beverly. I have had a pre-existing problem and in 2014 had to undergo two knee surgeries. In October 2017 I fell at work when I slipped on a slippery dry waxed floor surface. I fell forwards on to both of my knees with force and fractured two front Teeth, injured my wrists (both left and right) jerked my neck, further damaging a deteriorating disc which was found in 2014 as well as it causing further neck pain, shoulder pain & back pain. I also have a deteriorating disc which was showing up on the MRI that I had done I believe in 2015. ALthough I have had some pre-existing injuries since before this fall in October 12th 2017, they have definitely been worsened as well as new pain. Do I have a case?

    • Ian Morris

      Whether or not you have a viable claim for personal injury compensation will no so much rest on the pre-existing injuries you have listed or whether you have suffered new injuries, but will come down to whether or not the cause of your slip (the waxed floor surface) was unsafe and a hazard. If it can be demonstrated that the floor was excessively slippery and was either polished too much or had too much wax applied and should have been marked as a hazard with a yellow hazard warning sign, then it is likely that you would be able to mount a successful claim for slipping accident compensation.

      We would certainly like to speak with you with a view to pursuing a claim for you as there could well be something in this for you. Much will depend on whether or not the accident was reported in the employers accident book and what you can state in terms of what you saw in the area around the floor with regards to any warning signs or if you know of any other colleagues or visitors who have fallen or slipped on the floor in question.

  71. william smith

    Had a trip at work and tripped up stairs, my fault, do I have any claim against my work to pay for private physio or ultrasound scan as physio thinks my rotator cuff might be damaged? 20 week waiting list here for NHS physio so went private and damage could be worse than first thought. It happened 7 wks ago and still can’t rotate arm.

    • Ian Morris

      You can only make a claim against your employer (or any other party for that matter) if you can demonstrate that they have caused your injury and loss by way of negligence.

      In this case, you mention that you tripped on the stairs and that it was your fault. If this is the case – i.e, you simply misplaced your footing and fell, there is no employer negligence and you will not be able to seek damages or costs from them. If however, you can identify a hazard or item of disrepair on the stairs that caused you to trip and fall, you could then seek to pursue a claim against your employer.

  72. Lesley topping

    In February my husband had a fall in work and broke five bones in his back, two in his back and his sternum he also suffered a 8 cm cut to the back of his head, he fell twenty foot down an embankment which had no safety fence around it, since the accident my husband has been suffering with ptsd and has had to wear a frame.

    • Ian Morris

      Is your Husband now making a claim for accident at work compensation? If not, he should contact us immediately. His claim is something we would very much like to assist with. The lack of a safety fence or barrier by the embankment could well indicate that he has a valid claim on the grounds of employer negligence.

      Clearly, your Husband has suffered serious physical and psychological injuries and if successful with his claim for compensation, there is no doubt that he would receive a substantial compensation settlement.

      We would only need a few minutes on the phone initially in order to get the basic information needed to enable us to instruct one of our specialist accident at work compensation Solicitors to pursue this for him.

  73. Paula

    Hi I had an accident at work, I was on the top part of a kick stool, my supervisor went past with 2 milk crates and hit the stool which I then lost my balance which caused me to fall. I went to hospital was told soft tissue damaged and sprained told to rest for 7-10 days. Can I claim against them?

    • Ian Morris

      This is most certainly a viable claim for accident at work compensation. Whilst your supervisor never meant to knock you from the kick stool, the fact that they have indicates that they were either not concentrating or that something else was in their way. Neither of these issues would have been your fault and as such, I believe that we should commence a claim for accident at work compensation for you.

  74. Deborah jones

    I’ve had a fall at work over a wire which went across the floor. I work in a kitchen in a pub as cook but I didn’t have my work safety shoes on . The wire has now been moved. So I hurt my left knee.and my right shin which I have a large lump. My right wrist. I have work here for the last 11years off and on but have been on the books for the last three years. I know my boss doesn’t want to pay compensation because I wasn’t wearing my safety shoes

    • Ian Morris

      The fact that you were not wearing safety shoes here is somewhat of a red herring in this case. The key cause of your accident was a tripping hazard – a wire running across the floor. In a busy working kitchen such a hazard is extremely dangerous and should never have been present.

      You may find that your failure to wear safety shoes could cause you to have to accept a small amount of responsibility. As an example, it may be that the defendant insurers argue that you should have had safety shoes on and that if you had you may not have tripped on this wire (although that will very hard argument for them to get to stick), and that you therefore must take some ‘blame’ – perhaps 20% of the responsibility. If this were the case you would still have a claim and obtain a settlement but would lose 20% of the total value.

      However, I would say that there is a good chance that you would not have to accept any responsibility and I do think this claim should proceed.

  75. Freya P

    Hi. My partner works as a security guard for a shopping centre that has smaller outbuildings, which are restaurants, pubs, etc, which he must include in his security duties as part of his job. Part of his role is to patrol the outside of the building and its outbuildings at night (when it’s dark) using a route that is predetermined for him by management. One night he was doing his usual night patrol around part of the building which contains a restaurant, he slipped in a spillage outside this restaurant where their bins are (all part of the route he is instructed to use by management). He did damage to his knee, was signed off work by the doctors (with a medical note) and the hospital confirmed that the slip had caused cartilage damage. The day he returned to work after his medical note expired and his knee was better enough to work on, he was fired as the boss said “his level of absence was unacceptable”. He had worked there about 3 months (still in probation period of 3 months) and prior to his knee injury he had only had very minimal time off work, maybe about 3 days off sick before his knee injury (due to another accident at work, and his bosses were the ones who sent him home that time), so it was only the knee injury that caused the longer period of absence and it was covered by a doctor’s note that declared him unfit to work. To make matters worse, they agreed to renew his security badge at their expense, as he was their employee, but as he was fired he is now without a valid badge and therefore no means of getting another job in security as we cannot afford the cost to renew the badge. There was no warning given, so we were caught completely off guard and, since I left my job recently to have our daughter, we will be in financial difficulty as a result of this seemingly unfair loss of his job. Do we have any claim? Thank you for your information.

    • Ian Morris

      There could well be a claim to be made here against the employer and restaurant that left the spillage/waste outside their premises. This claim would be for the knee injury and loss of income caused by the same. Unfortunately, given that your husband was only employed for a few months, he has very little rights against his employer for the termination of his contract.

      We would be delighted to try and assist with the personal injury claim and I invite you to send me his contact number – by email to: so that I can call him and offer some advice and assistance.

  76. Caitlin briscoe

    Hi, this was a bit of time ago but I just want to know if I can get any money out of it now. Basically when I was working at a restaurant I was a kitchen assistant and we was running the Christmas booking and a bit of carpet was loose and they was saying it was for a while but never bothered fixing it, I tripped over it and fell over it wasn’t mad injuries but I was in a&e all night due to a broken finger and was in bad pain, well they believed that anyway. Would I be able to claim for this?

    • Ian Morris

      Yes, you could most certainly pursue a claim for this accident, even if it did happen a while ago.

      Claimants have a maximum period of 3-years from the date of their accident in which they can pursue a claim for compensation, so as long as you are within that 3-year period, you’ll be fine.

      We look forward to speaking with you.

      • Caitlin briscoe

        Ok thank you, it was only a sprained finger, but anyone could of fell over it they did write it in the accident book at the time.

        • Ian Morris


          A sprain injury can be equally as serious as a fracture and is something you can definitely pursue a claim for compensation for.

  77. art

    I tripped over a pallet at work but did not fall over it a college saw me fall forward then help me back to my feet said thanks ect ect carried on for a few min and my leg just gave up on me put it in accident book thought its just a muscle saw doc she said just rest, paracetamol, the next day after sleeping pain all over got to see my doc had examination he told me it was whiplash and to rest a couple days. i was carrying boxes when I went forward, will I get paid for this accident? thurs and fri told to complete accident report when I return Monday, thankyou in advance.

    • Ian Morris

      The fact that you didn’t actually fall to the floor would not effect the outcome of any claim you opted to pursue. Whether or not you can succeed with a claim will depend on why you tripped over the pallet. Had it been left in a dangerous position? Was it obscured from view and as such a hazard? If so, you may well succeed with a claim. However, if the pallet was left in a safe location where it is not a walkway and you simply tripped over it because you were not looking where you were going, of course, you would have no claim.

      We would like to look in to this further for you as we have succeeded with many identical claims over the years.

  78. Francesca Martinez

    I sprained my ankle at work, I was wearing flip flops but I sprained it stepping of of a concrete lip. Flip flops are not part of our school dress code. I am a first grade teacher. My work sent me to the dr. and had me file a claim. but after I missed 3 days they told me my time off would not be covered because I was didnt have any PTO time left and because i wasnt wearing the right shoes. I have only been here since January and most of the staff wear flip-flops all the time. Is it legal to pay for my ongoing medical under workmans comp but not my missed days wages?

    • Ian Morris


      The issue of the flip flops should not prevent you from pursuing a claim for compensation. It could be that you will have to accept some contributory negligence due to wearing the ‘wrong’ footwear, but the key thing from where we stand is what caused you to trip and fall.

  79. Jimmy Edwards

    I fell behind the building at work on ice and broke my wrist. They shouldn’t have had me out there knowing it was slippery. They have paid for doctors bills and I only missed one day of work. Would they be liable to give me anymore?

    • Ian Morris

      Hi, there is a potential for you to make a claim for further compensation in this case. The fact that the employer has already paid Doctors costs for you indicates that they feel a sense of responsibility here. Much will depend on the nature of the workplace, the role you were tasked with performing and what policy the employer has in place for inclement weather conditions in the workplace.

      Please call us on 01225430285 so that we can discuss this with you in detail with a view to helping you claim further compensation.

  80. Allan West

    Twisted my ankle when I stood in a hole in the concrete floor in my place of work and I have not been paid my full wages.

    • Ian Morris


      Thank you for letting us know about your accident at work. I am sorry to hear that you have sustained an injury to the ankle as a result of stepping in the hole on the floor.

      In the UK, employers are not obliged to pay staff full wages if they are off due to illness or injury. Indeed, the only requirement is to fund statutory sick pay (SSP). Certain employers will pay full wages – but this usually depends on contracts of employment and specific arrangements.

      In your case, as your employer has not paid you in full, the only option you have to try and reclaim your lost income is to pursue a claim for compensation against the employer. The hole in the concrete should have been covered or clearly sign posted with barriers to prevent accidents such as yours. So on the basis of your description of the incident, it would appear that you have a viable claim for compensation. When a claim for compensation is made, a claimant is able to claim a settlement for their injury – the value of which is based on medical evidence, the severity of the injury and length of time the injury lasted (or the long term prognosis if no full recovery has been made). Alongside this, a claimant is also able to claim special damages – this is recovering any lost income and other costs incurred as a result of the accident.

      Claiming compensation against an employer will not affect your job and you cannot be disciplined or face sanctions from an employer for doing so. Indeed, pursuing a claim for compensation after an accident at work that was not your fault is your legal right and one that we can help you action.

      We would be very happy to help you with this matter and pursue a claim for you with one of our specialist accident at work solicitors. We would need to take some basic information over the phone and then arrange for the right solicitor to take over the running of the claim for you. Please email your number to me so that we can speak with you and help you get this claim started.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely


  81. Karen sutherland

    I fell off my ladder decorating at a restaurant. I was hired to do a decorating job, i fell 4 ft off the ladder broke my shin bone and broke my elbow. Lose my job, no money, what to do, need help, do i have a case?

    • Ian Morris

      Whether or not you are able to make a claim for compensation after falling from your ladder at work will depend on what caused you to fall from the ladder and what level of training/health and safety guidance you were given by your employer.

      We would need to know more about your accident before we can properly advise you, so please do respond to me with further details.

  82. Kait lloyd

    I was working in retail, and fell off a ‘top stocker’ (ladder) and have damaged my back. The day I fell my workplace completed an a injury form, and took photos of my back – where it had gone red and swollen. They asked me to go to the hospital so I did and I was told that I had injured my sciatic nerve. I gave it a couple of weeks and ended up going back to the Doctors because of the pain and they told me that all my muscles were contracting around the damaged area. I was given tablets and have taken naproxen, codomol, ibuprofen and Diazepam, but none of these have worked.

    Not long after this, I was in my home and picked up a bucket of water (not even half full) and ended up getting rushed into hospital in an ambulance. This was due to back pain and I was told that they thought it was a slipped disc – after checking an x-ray and saying that no bones had broken. However, I have not had an MRI scan. I have been back to the Doctors several times because of the pain and problems the injury has caused me. I am on anti-depressants because of how the pain is making me feel. The pain has stopped me from doing day to day things and I’m in agony even putting the hoover over in my home. I had felt suicidal and have a mental block that is making me feel that my life isn’t worth living with the pain I experience when my back starts playing up. Could you please give me some advice?

    • Ian Morris

      I am sorry to hear about your situation and can sympathise with how this has affected your day-to-day life.

      We may well be able to assist you with a claim, but we’d need to speak with you so that we know more. A quick phone call will enable us to find out what we need to know in order that we can advise you properly.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

  83. Alma Luus

    Hi, my name is Alma. I had an accident at work in May, 2015. I fell of a leather, the leather broke while I was trying to put up bunners in our Showroom. I broke my wrist. I already had 4 operations in one year, 2015. I need to go for another operation in February 2017. My wrist will never be the same again. I cannot carry or pick up heavy things with my hand. I am walking with screws in my arm at this moment. They need to take out the plate and screws and do another operation on my wrist and they also need to put screws in. My wrist and arm will never be the same again. I am in pain the whole time. We are hoping with this operation that my hand will be better. I just want to know if I can claim?

    • Ian Morris


      Whether or not you can pursue a claim for compensation would depend on whether or not you can hold the employer liable on the grounds of negligence. This is likely to be decided upon whether or not you were adequately trained to work on a ladder, whether the ladder was fit for purpose (the right ladder) and whether or not you had been tasked with putting the banners up by a supervisor/manager.


    Can you please provide me case studies related with injury from fall from working at heights?

    • Ian Morris

      Thank you for your enquiry. We have helped many claimants who have suffered injuries after falling from height – mainly as a result of an accident at work.

      I would suggest that you give us a call on 01225430285 so that we can discuss the claims process with you and talk to you about some of the people we have helped. Most commonly, we see fractures, head injuries and sometimes even psychological trauma that can affect a return to work or bring on a fear of heights.

  85. Cheryl Wilkinson

    I tripped at work. Causing soft tissue damage and bruising to my hand and elbow.
    I work as Quality control Inspector in a fresh produce company. Checking pallets of fruit on intake arrival. I was checking pallets for traceability and tripped on the Pallets Buffers against a wall. Resulting me having to go to hospital and losing 3 weeks pay.
    My Company has said I’m only entitled to SSP.

    • Ian Morris


      Thank you for asking us a question about your situation after you’re accident at work. As with the vast majority of people that contact us for advice or support after an accident at work, the biggest problem for you on a day-to-day basis is now coping with a loss of wages whilst you are unable to work because of your injuries.

      Sadly, your company may well have no responsibility to pay you your usual wages and they are most probably fully entitled to switch you to SSP. You should check your contract of employment to find out whether or not you are entitled to sick pay at your usual rate.

      Whilst receiving SSP is better than nothing, it is certainly nowhere near enough for people to live on and pay their usual bills. WIth this in mind, you may be able to recover your loss of income if you make a claim for personal injury compensation. In many cases, people who are injured in an accident at work are motivated to make a claim for compensation simply because they have lost income and have no other way of recovering their losses. Successful claims for compensation after an accident at work can see the claimant receive compensation for their injury (the value of which is worked out on the basis of medical evidence), rehabilitation therapy and most importantly, a special damages claim where they can reclaim any lost income (the difference between SSP and usual income) as well as any other losses and costs incurred because of the injury.

      We would be very happy to speak with you to discuss your accident in detail.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  86. Angie

    I tripped at work – it felt like my foot got stuck to the floor and I struggled to remain upright and regain my balance leading to me reaching out to a table and consequently hitting the side of my face very hard on the corner of it – I consequently have bruising to my face. The incident occurred in an area where drinks are carried and are frequently spilled and not always cleaned up effectively. At time of incident I could not see any spills though – would I have a claim?

    • Ian Morris


      Hi, if we can demonstrate that an area that is subject to hazards being spilled on the floor and is not adequately cleaned or marked with signage, we would be able to bring a claim for compensation against your employer.

  87. charlotte

    my first incident happened three years ago, i was pregnant and fell at work because of wet floor with no sign down the stairs, i worked at shoprite then they took me for i.o.d and later baby was born but i had complications in my pregnancy, in any case i was never compensated and now wish to claim. is my claim valid? incident happend in 2012.
    Second incident i recently tripped and fell over a trolley at work and hurt my arm that i broke when i was 6 am now 27, doctor said its just a muscle that got sprained can i make a claim for my injury i now work at spar?

    • Ian Morris

      Dear Charlotte

      Thank you for your enquiry and the details of your two accidents. I can imagine that the first incident must have been additionally stressful given that you were pregnant.

      I’ll start with the 2nd accident first because this is more straightforward. We would certainly be willing to investigate this claim for you and I feel that you have a good chance of succeeding with this claim. If you have not already done so, you should ensure that your employers have recorded the details of your accident and injuries in an accident book or other official incident recording system. We would be happy to advise you as to how best to do this so I suggest that you go to our make a claim and upload your contact information so that we can call you to offer assistance.

      The first incident you mention in 2012, could be out of limitation. The law states that anyone over the age of 18 years can make a claim for compensation if they do so within a period of 3 years from the date of your accident. Therefore, if your accident happened on or before the 19th October 2012, you will be out of time and unable to pursue a claim for that accident. Again, if you are unsure, please contact us on 01225430285 for help and advice.

      We look forward to hearing from you.

      Kind regards


  88. oliver surgeon

    I slipped getting on to my forklift truck due to step being slippy, resulting in a trip to casualty for pulled tendon muscle in my wrist. I believe I wont be paid from my employer.

    • Ian Morris


      I’m sorry to hear about your accident at work. We’ve handled claims of a similar nature on a number of occasions – people who have slipped on the footplate of trucks, wagons, vehicles, forklifts etc at work. Employers have a duty of care to ensure that so far as is possible, all risks of injury are removed from the workplace. When it comes to slipping on a footplate/step of a vehicle, the employer should ensure that the step has a non-slip surface if possible and that employees are wearing suitable footwear (i.e that employees are advised as to what footwear is acceptable and what is not). If your employer hasn’t provided a non-slip step surface and the training/advice provided to you and colleagues is insufficient in terms of safety at work, you are likely to have a strong claim for compensation. Indeed, we have succeeded with the vast majority of such claims that we have pursued for claimants.

      Claiming compensation for your injuries after an accident at work will also enable you to make a special damages claim. This enables you to reclaim any lost income on top of the compensation settlement you would receive for your injuries. Whilst this is not a quick fix to your immediate problem – coping with the loss of income whilst you cannot work, it does mean that you can have hope of recovering this income in due course.

      We would certainly be willing to assist you with a claim for compensation should you so wish. Any such claim would be made against your employers liability insurance policy, so it does not affect your employer directly and would definitely not cost anyone their job. We run ALL claims on a No Win No Fee basis, so you have nothing to lose by attempting to recover your losses. Whilst we cannot guarantee that we will win any claim, we guarantee that you will never face any costs should your claim for compensation fail.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.