RIDDOR – when to report an accident at work


This article is for anyone who has been injured in an accident at work and wants to know whether or not their employer has properly reported and recorded the details. Specifically, whether or not the Health and Safety Executive should have been informed of under RIDDOR.

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR is a term relevant to accidents at work and stands for the ‘Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations’ 2013.

Administered by the Health and Safety Executive, RIDDOR obligates employers, the self-employed and organisations who manage or own premises to report accidents at work, serious injuries and specified incidents within the workplace.

There is no requirement for every accident, injury or incident in the workplace to be reported to RIDDOR as it only applies to the more serious ones, or where a person has been forced to be away from work for a set period of time.

Accidents or injuries that don’t have to be reported

Not all accidents at work or workplace injuries are RIDDOR reportable as there are criteria which have to be met regarding the nature and severity of the incident.

For example, injuries that lead to a worker having more than three consecutive days off must be recorded by the employer, but do not need to be reported. Employers must keep an accident book as a requirement of Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, and in these cases an accident book entry will be sufficient record.

There is also no need to make a RIDDOR report in cases where a worker is taken to hospital following an accident at work purely as a precaution.

Accidents or injuries that do have to be reported

Accidents must be reported to RIDDOR when a person is left unable to work (or perform their normal duties) for periods of seven consecutive days or more. The seven day period starts the day after an accident at work and does include weekends and rest days. In these cases, a RIDDOR report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

RIDDOR regulations require employers to report an accident or incident at work that leads to an employee sustaining an injury in the following circumstances:

  • The death of any employee or self-employed person as a result of an accident at work must be reported to RIDDOR. This requirement is also relevant if the death occurred as a result of an act of physical violence to a worker.
  • Bone fracture workplace injuries, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes.
  • Accidents that lead to amputations of limbs as a result of the incident or subsequent surgery.
  • Injury that to lead to loss of sight, whether permanent, temporary, full or partial.
  • Crush injuries to the head or torso that cause damage to the brain or internal organs.
  • Severe burn injuries (including scalding) that cover 10% or more of the body, that cause significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs.
  • Injuries causing scalping requiring hospital treatment.
  • Head injuries or asphyxia that result in a loss of consciousness.
  • Hypothermia or heat induced illnesses arising from working in enclosed spaces.
  • Any injury requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours.

More information can be found on the Health & Safety executives website.

RIDDOR reporting for industrial diseases

For conditions commonly known as industrial diseases, including repetitive strain injuries, there can be a requirement to make a RIDDOR report where the condition was likely to have been caused or made worse by the work undertaken by that person.

In such cases, employers and self-employed workers have a responsibility to make a RIDDOR report for certain conditions, including:

Vibration White Finger or Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
Occupational Dermatitis
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Occupational Asthma
Tendonitis or Tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm
All occupational cancers
Diagnosed cramping of the hand or forearm
Any disease or illnesses linked to an occupational exposure to a biological agent

What to do if you’re injured in a RIDDOR reportable incident

Due to the requirements of the RIDDOR reporting process, anyone injured in an accident at work that leads to a RIDDOR report being made is likely to have been seriously hurt and unable to work for a time.

In such cases, if the accident was caused by employer negligence, a lack of training or other failure to properly manage the health and safety of employers in the workplace, you can claim compensation for your workplace injury.

Claiming compensation after suffering serious injuries in an accident at work is an important right and one that can bring many benefits to the injured person. It can offer both financial and medical assistance at a time when they are unlikely to be able to work, or will be trying to rebuild their lives after a lengthy period of recovery and loss of income.

5 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

  1. 9 weeks ago I was involved in a work place accident when a quad bike overturned and rolled on top of me. This resulted in a humeral fracture. The company director told me that a day after the incident if in our witness report we made mention of the quad bike being involved quad bikes would be banned from site and we wouldn’t be able to use them.
    He then firmly suggested that myself and the other witness said I fell carrying materials and no quad bike was involved.

    I am now 9 weeks later on SSP and have no other income with a potential further 6-10 weeks in the same situation.

    How do I go around changing the report when the “Boss” isn’t wanting to or willing to give me any financial compensation.

    Thanks in Advance

    • Your employer has been extremely negligent in coercing you and colleagues to list the cause of your injuries wrongly. They should not have done this and could face serious repercussions for their actions.

      Given the loss of income you have suffered as a result of your accident at work and your employers refusal (as is their right) not to pay your usual salary, you should do all you can to make a claim for compensation against the employer. However, as you may appreciate the prospects of succeeding with the claim could be lowered by the inaccurate reporting of the cause of the accident.

      You could seek to speak with your colleagues and other witnesses to your accident and see if anyone is willing to put their head above the parapet and corroborate your version of events as if so, that would help you. Your other course of action would be to immediately contact RIDDOR to see if the employer reported the accident in the first place – as they should have done – and to advise them of the scenario you have described here.

      We would be happy to help you attempt to make a claim for compensation against your employer and there is a prospect of succeeding if it can be shown that a lack of adequate training or health and safety management (such as a risk assessment for quad bike use and training for you to use the machine) was the cause of your accident.

      If you would like to discuss this further with me, please call 01225430285.

  2. When I had my accident at work, is it the responsibility of my employers and the HSE to come and take a statement from me and see how I am?

    I was rushed to Hospital for emergency surgery and nobody came at all and I was not even called to see how I was doing.

    I am the only cleaner cleaning the whole building having to carry a hoover upstairs and down – everyday. I had no training and didn’t have access to the accident book. This is very poor.

    • If you have made a report to RIDDOR regarding an accident at work, you should contact the RIDDOR authorities. If you are referring to an accident book report made with your employer, you should contact the employers HR department or the named person responsible for health and safety matters.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.