Motorcycle Accident Claims – No Win No Fee Injury Compensation

16 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Quick Answer: You can claim compensation if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t your fault. The claim must be made within three years of the accident or from when you first realised you were injured.

Key Takeaways:

  • Contact the police and your insurance company immediately after the accident.
  • Gather evidence, including photographs and witness statements.
  • Seek medical attention and keep records of all treatments.
  • Consult with a solicitor, preferably on a no win no fee basis.
  • Keep a detailed record of all related expenses for potential reimbursement.

Motorcyclists face unique risks on UK roads, and accidents can have severe consequences. Understanding your right to compensation is crucial in such situations. In this guide, we will explore how to make a motorcycle accident claim in the UK, and how much compensation you might expect to receive.

Can I Make A Claim For Injuries After a Motorcycle Accident?

To be eligible for a motorcycle accident compensation claim in the UK, certain criteria must be met:

  • Fault: You must not be at fault for the accident. The claim can proceed if another party’s negligence caused the accident.
  • Injuries: The accident must have resulted in physical or psychological injuries. These injuries should be directly linked to the accident.
  • Time Limit: Claims must typically be initiated within three years of the accident date or from the point when you became aware of your injuries.

Common scenarios where individuals may be eligible to make a claim include collisions with other vehicles, accidents caused by road defects, or incidents involving defective equipment on the motorcycle.

The Process For Making a Motorcycle Accident Claim

The process of making a motorcycle accident compensation claim involves several key steps:

  1. Initial Consultation: Find a solicitor specialising in personal injury claims, particularly those with experience in motorcycle accidents. We can help you with this. During a consultation, your solicitor will assess the details of your case and advise you on the best course of action.
  2. Evidence Gathering: Collecting evidence is crucial to support your claim. This may include photographs of the accident scene, witness statements, police reports, and medical records detailing your injuries and treatment.
  3. Claim Submission: Your solicitor will assist in preparing and submitting the claim to the responsible party’s insurance company. They will negotiate on your behalf to secure a fair settlement that compensates you for your losses.
  4. Resolution: The claim may be resolved through negotiation with the insurance company, leading to a settlement agreement. In cases where an agreement cannot be reached, legal proceedings may be necessary to pursue compensation through court.

At Direct2Compensation we take care of you from start to finish. If ever you have a question, you can call us or the solicitor we have appointed for you. You will discover we are always happy to help you.

The Financial Aspects of a Claim

When pursuing a motorcycle accident compensation claim in the UK, it’s essential to understand the financial aspects involved. Compensation may cover various elements, including:

  • Pain and Suffering: Compensation for the physical and emotional pain endured as a result of the accident and injuries sustained.
  • Loss of Earnings: Reimbursement for income lost due to inability to work during recovery or long-term impact on earning capacity.
  • Medical Expenses: Coverage for medical treatments, rehabilitation costs, and any future medical care required as a result of the accident.
  • Property Damage: Compensation for damage to your motorcycle or any other personal property affected in the accident.

Compensation Amounts for Motorcycle Injuries

The amount of compensation you may receive can vary based on factors such as the severity of your injuries, impact on your quality of life, and financial losses incurred.

Riders and pillion passengers of motorbikes involved in collisions with other vehicles often suffer serious and life changing injuries. The value of compensation can be very high as the injuries can be so bad. Once initial evidence has been collected you will be advised as to the likely level of compensation to expect.

Interim Payments and Financial Support During the Claims Process

Financial pressures can mount quickly after an accident that leaves you unable to earn your normal wage. Interim payments may be an option to alleviate immediate financial strain. These are partial payments made before the final settlement is agreed upon and can help cover:

The Cost of Legal Representation and No Win No Fee Agreements

Legal fees can be a significant concern for many claimants. However, ‘no win, no fee’ agreements offer a solution. These arrangements mean:

  • You pay no upfront legal fees.
  • Your solicitor gets paid only if the claim is successful.
  • If the claim fails, you won’t be liable for your solicitor’s fees.

Claiming for Psychological Trauma

Victims of motorcycle accidents can also claim psychological damages as part of their personal injury compensation. Therefore, it is vital that any person suffering with psychological trauma after the accident sees their GP and asks for a referral to a specialist. It is then possible to maximise the value of any settlement awarded to you as the 3rd party will not be able to dispute the medical evidence that supports your claim.

The kind of psychological trauma that victims of motorcycle accidents suffer can vary greatly and come in many different forms. Some motorcyclists will struggle to get back on their bike and may well give up riding and use other forms of transport. Some with more severe problems may struggle to walk near moving vehicles and therefore have great difficulty living a normal life.

Regardless of the severity of any PTSD issues, all people wishing to make a claim for personal injury compensation should make sure that all the injuries sustained in their accident are on record.

Tips for Success

To enhance your chances of a successful motorcycle accident compensation claim under a no win no fee arrangement, consider the following tips:

  • Act Promptly: Time is crucial in personal injury claims. Initiate the claim process as soon as possible to meet legal deadlines.
  • Document Everything: Keep detailed records of the accident, injuries sustained, medical treatments received, expenses incurred, and any communication related to your claim.
  • Follow Medical Advice: Attend all medical appointments, follow treatment plans diligently, and keep records of your medical progress.
  • Communicate with Your Solicitor: Maintain open communication with your solicitor. Provide them with all necessary information and updates regarding your case.

By following these tips and being proactive in managing your claim, you can strengthen your position and increase the likelihood of a successful outcome.

Remember that seeking legal advice from experienced solicitors specialising in personal injury claims is crucial to ensure your rights are protected throughout the process.

Frequently Asked Questions

How We Can Help You

Navigating a motorcycle accident compensation claim in the UK can be a challenging process, but with the right knowledge and guidance, victims can seek the justice and support they deserve.

We can help you to understand if you are eligible to make a claim, and find you the right solicitor with expertise in motorcycle accident claims. We have arrangements in place to provide replacement motorcycles within hours of the accident if you are fit to drive. We can also arrange replacement helmets, leathers and all other damaged items.

There is no charge for assessing your claim, so you have nothing to lose and much to gain if you can make a successful one. As a specialist claims company which has been successfully recovering compensation for victims of motorcycle accidents for some years now, we have all the expertise required to conclude your claim as swiftly and efficiently as possible.

To find out more about your compensation rights or to start your claim today, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, .

16 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Leave a comment or question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll reply as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Comments & Questions

Read on for questions and advice about claiming, plus motorbike accident claim examples...

Hi there, hope you can help.
I stopped my motorbike for a red light on a roundabout, placing my right foot flat on the tarmac to maintain balance. Next thing I know I’ve been rear ended, my beautiful near new Indian has shot across the junction into road furniture (headstock snapped in two) and I’m laying in the road about 5ft from where I left my bike. I knew immediately I had dislocated my knee and managed to realign the joint. Police and ambulance attended, both 3rd party & I were breathalised (zero for both) and interviewed under caution. I went to hospital and my self diagnosis was confirmed, thankfully no breaks just soft tissue damage. The 3rd party told the police officer he thought I wasn’t going to stop (? red light ?), was following my riding line and couldn’t stop in time.
My questions are:
1 – given he said under caution he couldn’t stop in time to avoid hitting me does it mean his insurer cannot deny liability? He is not facing any prosecution.
2 – can his insurer claim my hypermobility was a contributing factor to the dislocation even though my right knee has never dislocated before, meaning they will feel justified in making a low PI offer especially as I do not have any x-rays or CT scan showing it dislocated?
3 – given my hypermobility is a life long condition I have learnt to live with and I know that as a result of this injury my knee will now be weaker for the remainder of my life, is this going to make the PI claim time scale longer than normal i.e years instead of months? I want this sorted quickly as it’s such a hassle dealing with these things.
I should point out the 3rd party was my husband – is this in itself going to make the whole claims process longer?
BTW, yes we are still together, yes he is very sorry and no I’m not giving him a hard time because it was an accident not an on-purpose. Plus his insurance premiums are going to shoot up next year and his beloved Harley was damaged as well. That’s punishment enough I think!
Any answers appreciated. Thanks.

Ian Morris

You certainly have a valid claim and one that we would be happy to help you to pursue. With regards to your points, you need not worry as you were clearly the innocent party in this incident and the defendant is likely to struggle if they attempt to deny liability. With regards to any hyper-mobility issues, a medical expert will provide an opinion on this and that will decide the value of any claim. The fact that the 3rd party is known to you is irrelevant in any claim.

Please call us on 01225430285 or use the start your claim for compensation page of our website to make further contact.


On the 8th February at 5:30am Monday morning whilst commuting to work, I rode my motorcycle along a main high road in Enfield. 
I’ve ridden carefully in snow before and been fine as the roads were gritted. In this case myself and drivers who stopped to help believe the road was not gritted. I was approaching a red traffic signal at a junction and was travelling slowly anyway. 
Both wheels lost traction on a slight downhill gradient, causing the bike to fall to the right, falling on my right leg, breaking my Tibia and Fibula. 
I am now out of work for the past 6 weeks and Dr’s say it could be 6 months before I can return to work. I’m only on Statutory Sick Pay which is not enough to live on. 
I have suffered financial loss, damage to my credit file, incredible pain, a metal rod inserted in my leg, damage to my bike, inability to sleep, strain and burden on my partner who is burning out. 
I have done some research and believe that Enfield Council did not take enough precautions under the Highways Act 1980 to make the road safe as reasonably as practicable. 
I’d like to sue them please. According to Enfield Council, this road should be gritted. I don’t believe it had been that morning and other drivers found it very slippery also.

Ian Morris

Our specialist Solicitors will be in contact with you to advise you further and seek to pursue action against the local authority for the injury you have sustained and the losses you are incurring as a result.


It’s 2 years since my motorcycle accident. Months after the accident my elbow & shoulder area kept hurting. My GP sent me for physio, 4 months of physio & the symptoms remained. A few weeks ago I decided to get a chiropractor to look at it; Following xrays the chiro opinion is I’ve damaged my neck due to trauma to the neck, ie; a whiplash injury. Hence causing the pain in my elbow & shoulder due to C6 been out of place. I contacted the solicitor who sought advice from the barrister.
His advise was to forget about claiming for this injury as the case is too long gone & will now be hard to prove. Does this sound correct in your opinion?

Ian Morris

I am surprised that the advice is to simply ignore the potential to add the neck problem to the heads of claim without having at least asked a medical expert to look at the x-rays, your symptoms and see if they can draw a causal link between the index accident and your current discomfort.


Hi, I was hit while riding my bike yesterday. The driver has admitted fault to the police. I have broken my ankle lower back and collar bone. For the ankle, I have the choice between having surgery or letting it heal naturally. Both have similar recovery times and there aren’t any major benefits to either. My question is, would my claim be a substantial amount more if I take the surgery? Many thanks!

Ian Morris

It is impossible to say whether surgery would lead to a higher settlement value. In all honesty, it should not make a difference as the value of the claim will be reached on the basis of a medical experts assessment and report. That report should look at the severity of the injury and what the long term prognosis is (whether there is a full recovery or partial or how long recovery takes) and not whether surgery was needed. In your case, so long as the Consultant is of the view that there is no material benefit to undergoing surgery – in that either way of treatment will lead to the same outcome at a similar recovery rate, there is no concern for any claim.

In terms of your claim, please call us on 01225430285 so that we can help you start the process of recovering compensation for your injuries, damaged cycle, any loss of income and enable you to access specialist private rehabilitation therapies during your claim.


I was involved in an accident on 14/1/2020 I was rammed off my moped while stopped at the lights. My solicitor has now sent the paperwork and reports to the insurance company for my claim (whiplash/psychological effects). I was just wondering under what protocol this would be dealt with RTA or personal injury as this is the first time I have gone through this process so I’m not sure.

Ian Morris

You are making a claim for personal injury compensation. The settlement should account for both the physical and psychological injuries and for any lost income or other costs you have incurred.


I was knocked off of my moped in March 18 and the other party accepted full liability, I was riding on the main road and she came out of a side road and hit me head on.

I am mid claim with another solicitors but they haven’t contacted me since October despite my emails asking for an update.

I’ve been in a lot of pain with my back and am on a lot of medication (23 tablets a day of Lansoprazole, gabapentin, naproxen, amitriptyline and tramadol, plus a morphine patch), I’ve recently had an MRI and found out the results today, I have a dehydrated disc (Degenerative Disc Disease) and a disc slightly bulging. In your experience would any of those be classed as a pre-existing condition brought on by the accident or would it continue as a new injury? And as it’s an issue that can’t be fixed and is a lifelong condition, what would that do to my compensation?

Also, is it too late to change solicitors as mine have given me 3 different solicitors and their GP lied in my med report, they haven’t filled me with confidence.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thanking you so much in advance.

Ian Morris

It is not too late to change Solicitors. However, switching Solicitors should be a last resort and whilst your Solicitors certainly appear to have been poor in their handling of your requests, it does not mean that you should yet switch Solicitors. In the first instance, if you are unhappy with your Solicitors (lack of updates, failings etc), you should make a formal complaint to them and give them a final opportunity to rectify their errors and sort the matter out. Their complaints procedure should be available on their website (or by request) and by making a complaint you are likely to get the matter sorted. If they are unable to satisfy your concerns during the complaints procedure, you should then seek to switch Solicitors.

The pre-existing problems found in your spine by the recent MRI scan are likely to be considered during the claim. Whether they are taken in to account with regards to your claim will depend on whether the injuries/symptoms that you are claiming for are unrelated or not to these pre-existing issues. It may be that medical experts take a view that your pre-existing conditions and severity of symptoms have been sped up by the accident, in which case your compensation will reflect this.


Car driver ran over my feet while i was filtering traffic on the motorbike in traffic. I called police and recorded injuries in A&E. I submitted claim for personal injury 4 months ago. Insurance passed my claim to claim handlers. So far the car driver did not accept liability and the claims handlers are waiting for a police report.
Is there any chance they can make me pay legal fees for the claim investigation?

Ian Morris

If you have a specialist Solicitor acting for you on a No Win No Fee basis, you will not have to pay for any such fee.


Hi Ian, my husband was hit head on by a car driver whilst he was on his motorbike 2 years ago. Full liability was admitted straight away. He had full motor legal expenses cover so no % will be deducted upon settlement of his claim. He sustained numerous injuries some still ongoing today but we are satisfied by the medical expert’s prognosis. He also suffered PTSD. So my questions we have are; today we received an amount the legal exec is suggesting for the injuries. We believe (but of course we are not experts) that she has seriously underestimated his claim. I have gone back to her requesting a full breakdown of what value she has put on each injury. Are we entitled to receive this. She has also deducted the physio and psychiatrist’s fees (over £2k) from his total claim. I am confused by this as it was the medical expert she instructed who recommended that my husband should have this and no conversation ever took place about who would be responsible to pay this. As an aside we have had terrible service from this company, not returning calls, taking on average 3.5 weeks to respond to an email and we are now on our 4th case handler. We are happy with the out of pocket side of the claim. What are our choices (if any) to ensure that my husband receives the full amount he is entitled to? thank you.

Ian Morris

You do need to query with them why they have deducted the £2k+ fee for pyschiatrist and physiotherapy fees without having obtained your authorisation to do so prior to instructing the experts to provide treatment. It could be that they will go on to seek recovery of those fees and reimburse you for them in due course.

As for the appropriate value, you should be entitled to receive the Barristers opinion that would have provided the value range for the claim.

Chat with us for friendly, expert advice 01225 430285