Bursitis Compensation Claims & Settlement Values

22 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Employers are legally required to assess the risk of their employees suffering painful conditions like bursitis and they must ensure staff are aware of these risks, are given the correct training and adequate protective equipment. If their negligence has led to you or someone you know suffering from bursitis, then you are entitled to claim compensation.

Table of contents:

What is bursitis?

Bursitis is the inflammation of a bursa, a fluid filled sack which forms under the skin around joints. It acts as a cushion between the bones of a joint as they move across one another. Any bursa can become inflamed, sore and painful but most commonly affects the shoulder, elbow, knee and hip joints. Bursitis can be a very painful condition leading to limited mobility and loss of independence. This often leaves people struggling to work and maintain their usual day-to-day lifestyle.

When it comes to claiming compensation, the most common injury forming the basis of the claim is knee bursitis. Any activity that includes lots of kneeling or crawling (such as carpet fitting and floor tiling) can lead to symptoms. The bursae within our knees are likely to become inflamed and swollen as a result of pressure or impact. Bursitis will create significant discomfort within the joint affected and in severe cases it is impossible to kneel or crawl.

Why claim bursitis compensation?

Bursitis causes a considerable amount of pain, and leaves a sufferer unable to move freely, walk or kneel comfortably. Because of this, many sufferers are unable to work and earn their regular salary. Recovering from bursitis can take many months.

Claiming personal injury compensation can help ease some of the problems you face.

  • Claiming is a legal right, and will fairly compensate you for injuries that were not your fault.
  • It can pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • You can reclaim any lost income, plus future loss of income if you are prevented from working again.

How much bursitis compensation could you receive?

A successful claim will lead to a compensation settlement being made to you for the injuries you have suffered and medical treatment that you have required. In addition, the value of the claim will include any lost income and expenses. If your condition led to you suffering psychological harm, you can also make a claim against this.

Every claim is different so it’s impossible to know the exact amount you could receive. However, there are guidelines issued by the courts and our solicitors are experts in using these to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation. You will be advised as to the likely level of compensation for your injuries once initial evidence has been collected.

When can you make a bursitis compensation claim?

The majority of bursitis claims relate to injuries and symptoms caused through someone’s working activities. Commonly they are a direct result of employer negligence. Many employers fail to identify working practices and jobs that are likely to lead to an employee being at risk of suffering painful conditions like bursitis. This could lead to them being liable should a sufferer wish to claim compensation.

Common scenarios leading to bursitis compensation include:

The onus is on an employer to ensure staff are aware of the risks their job could present to their health. They must provide the correct training to staff and make sure they are given adequate protective equipment and safe working advice in order to minimise, as far as possible, the risk of bursitis arising. Employers that fail to ensure staff receive full training, guidance or safety wear, or fail to adequately assess roles that present a risk to employees’ health, will be liable should any injuries happen to the staff under their leadership. Any person injured in this way is entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

Occupations at most risk

Bursitis has been linked to certain occupations, and is most likely to affect workers who kneel or crawl a lot:

  • Carpet fitters
  • Floor tilers
  • Mechanics
  • Cleaners
  • Workers who regularly access IT & PC hardware, telephony and wiring located in areas that are difficult to access such as underneath desks or within box rooms or cupboard spaces
  • Construction site workers, including labourers
  • Plumbers & electricians
  • Caretakers

Anyone who has suffered bursitis as a result of their work or other organised activity can make a claim. If it can be shown that the employer has been negligent the claim will succeed. If you have been diagnosed with a bursitis condition that has been caused by your working life, you should contact us today to discuss claiming compensation.

Making a successful bursitis claim

Firstly, we’ll need to assess your case to determine if enough evidence is available for your claim to succeed. At Direct2Compensation, we know your rights and can help you to understand whether the specifics of your bursitis condition is something you are likely to be able to hold your employer liable for.

After this, we will advise you on important issues and the claims process. In order to provide evidence of your injury it is important to make sure that the details of your bursitis have been recorded properly with your employer and that medical attention is sought. If you haven’t done this already, we can help you to do so.

One of the major benefits of making a claim for compensation is the possibility of accessing excellent rehab therapies. Our specialist solicitors will look to obtain such treatments for claimants, including physiotherapy, massage therapy, osteopathy and many other kinds of intervention. Such treatments and rehab therapies have been proven to help people recover more quickly and therefore be in a position to return to work and get back to normality with life.

Direct2Compensation are experts in managing work-related injury and illness compensation claims. We work with some of the best accident at work solicitors in the UK. With our easy to understand process and ability to handle your claim quickly, simply and transparently, there are many reasons that make us the right choice when it comes to starting your claim.

To start your bursitis claim today or find out more about your compensation rights, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, . In just a few minutes on the telephone with you, we’ll obtain the initial information needed for our solicitors to commence a claim.

Direct2Compensation are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, our authorisation number is 830395. Details can be found on the Financial Conduct Authority financial services register.

22 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Leave a comment or question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll reply as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Comments & Questions

Read on for questions and advice about claiming, plus bursitis claim examples...

Hello, can I sue my landlord for installing hardwood floors that resulted in my ankle, foot busitis that has spread to both legs. My landlord did not ask if the flooring would pose a risk.

Ian Morris

Hardwood flooring is not unsafe or dangerous and you are unlikely to be able to establish a causal link to prove that your bursitis and injury symptoms were caused through negligence or indeed the flooring in question.


I’ve been working with the same supermarket for 2 years now and have bursitis in both of my shoulders now, most recently having to have 6 weeks off for this issue, I’ve had no support from work and have been left on the till which is the cause of the issue. Every return to work I’ve been asked if they can ‘help’ I’ve asked for time off the tills and nothing, I’m not sure if this is a valid claim?

Ian Morris

Your employer has a duty of care to ensure that you are appropriately trained in manual handling and given a working environment that prevents you from sustaining injury. We would be very happy to further investigate your claim and invite you to make further contact with us. We can then have this matter looked in to by our specialist Solicitors.


I have bursitis I mentioned to my manager that my shoulder was hurting he said to get medical confirmation. After a while I’d had ultrasound on my shoulder it showed that I had bursitis I had a note from my doctor to say I had bursitis. I went to my manager with this he didn’t even look at it and said what am I supposed to do with that I was shocked at his response. That was about 9 months ago I found out on the 24th of December I need a operation on my shoulder. About 4 months ago a job in the lab came up I went to see the manager to put my name forward for it he just shot me down the job would of been no lifting perfect for me. I feel very let down by my manager especially when he knew about my shoulder. I’m going to be out of work for up to 5. Weeks when I have my operation do I have a claim many thanks Warren.

Ian Morris

You would appear to have valid grounds to make a claim for compensation. Please call us on 01225430285 to get further help and advice.


I have a permanent injury that I live with caused by work some years ago that every few years requires treatment. Bursitis initially and ruptured tendons in right knee that give continuous pain. It was caused by repetition at work initially and flares up again and again. I work for Nissan motor manufacturing. I initially did not want to put claim in because of career progression.

Ian Morris

In order to pursue a claim for compensation for injuries caused at work, you must act within 3 years of the date of the injury, or the date at which you became aware of the injury.


I’ve had shoulder bursitis for about ten years and was wondering if I could still claim against my old company that I used to work?

Ian Morris

Unfortunately, the fact that you have had the symptoms for such a long time means that you cannot now seek to make a claim. In your case you would have had to pursue your claim within 3 years of the date that you developed the symptoms. As 10 years have passed, you are well over the 3 year claim limitation period and we cannot therefore assist you.


I recently had a accident at work that resulted in a pulled shoulder. After the accident I was in quite a bit of pain. I had a ultrasound scan and they also discovered that I suffer from bursitis which has also stopped me from returning back to work at this time. Anything I can do about this?

Ian Morris

Bursitis is often associated with repetitive strains and it could well be that your work caused that issue and the recent ‘accident at work’ has exacerbated that condition and caused additional soft tissue trauma.

You have a right to claim compensation from your employer if they have caused your injuries or symptoms. Of course, in your case we don’t yet know what work you do and what your employer failed to do or did that they should not have done that could lead to a successful claim. However, we would like to investigate your situation with a view to pursuing a claim for compensation for you.


I had an accident at work (I am a housekeeper at a college) when my knee made a horrible loud noise and I can’t put weight on it or bend it. I was sent to A&E, had an MRI scan and saw a Doctor in the fracture clinic who said it was bursitis. My pain and swelling continued so my GP gave me the number of a physiotherapist (where they can assist me with steroid injection for severe pain and exercises). I visited the physio and I got exercise for my knee and on examination she suspected an injury to medial meniscus and possibly MCL. The swelling and the pain has improved, but I still feel significant pain with walking. From my work I received a letter about welfare meeting and I felt pressured. I showed the letter to the physiotherapist and she suggested I return to work, on lighter duties – half shift – and then increasing by an hour a week, with modified activities (avoid or modify activities that involve kneeling).

I called my GP and he issued a sick note for SSP, and confirmed that I may be fit to work on amended duties – less squatting as this is caused severe pain in knee. I’m back to work after three months. The work place have given me new a designated area as I start work with 3 hours (it’s long walking distance to the building and the house have three floors and staircases). My pain in my knee has returned to severe and the swelling is back. Should I continue to work, or should I go back to the GP for a sick note? I feel that they punish me and are not helping me to recover. What are my rights as employee? Thank you!

Ian Morris

Whilst your pain and discomfort has returned to a serious level after going back to work, it would appear that your employer is working to support you by allowing revised duties and shorter working hours. Unfortunately, there may be little else that they can do. You could of course arrange a meeting with them to see if they have a different role in the short term that you could fulfill that does not require hours of walking or being on your feet. If so, that would enable you to rest and recover from the injury sustained.

You do have the right to make a claim for compensation against your employer if you believe that your initial injury was caused by their negligence towards you – perhaps a lack of training or risk assessing your work. If bursitis is found, that is a repetitive strain injury and could be caused by your work and you should investigate this further.


I had a fall from a height of 4ft at work a month ago, due to employer negligence. My physio has advised me that I have incurred gluteus bursitis in my hip/thigh area as a result. However your website indicates that such a condition does not occur as the result of a one-off impact. Please advise me of how this may affect any claim I may wish to proceed with in the future?

Ian Morris

Typically, bursitis is caused as a result of a longer term repeated issue that causes damage to the bursa. However, we understand that one of trauma can cause such injuries. If you have been diagnosed with such a condition as a result of the fall you had at work, you can potentially pursue your claim for compensation against the employer. Of course, your previous medical history will be relevant in proving that you had no previous history of problems with the hip/thigh area.

To succeed, we would need to demonstrate that your fall from height was caused through employer negligence.


I went off sick in June 2018 with bilateral shoulder and arm pain. I was diagnosed with bilateral bursitis to both shoulders. I returned to work in July as worried I will lose my job, but wasn’t fully healed, I was back on sick again in August. I was starting to recover slowly. I was given a date by my employer in a review meeting to return to work 12th November 2018 on a phased return for 2 days a week for 2 weeks, of which I did. I then had a steroid injection 19th November to shoulder, I had 2 days rest and returned to work on 22nd November to complete my phased return. My shoulder ended up being worse again as I did not give it sufficient time to rest. I then went off sick again on 10th December and have not returned to work. I believe I am facing possible dismissal as I am unable to do the job. Do I qualify for a claim?

Ian Morris

The injury/health condition you have been living with is likely to be attributable to the work that you do. However, before we can advise as to whether or not you have a valid claim for personal injury compensation, we need to know more about the work you do and what training, support and equipment your employer has provided to you in order to minimise the risk of such injuries.

As you will appreciate, in some cases such injuries/symptoms can develop without any employer negligence being relevant. In such cases, no claim would follow. However, if your work can be shown to be the cause of the symptoms you are living with, we would be happy to assist you in making a claim for compensation.


I have been working as a parks and facility worker for an employer for 4 months now. I’ve never had any problems or pain previously with my upper thigh/hip area until now and I think that the massive walking and in out of vehicles required in this job are responsible for the pain I now have in this area. I went to my doctor because the pain was so severe and I was diagnosed with bursitis. We were not properly trained and have had no safety training etc.

Ian Morris

Your bursitis injury could well be a result of the nature of your work as in most cases, bursitis is caused through a repetitive strain and not because of a one off trauma. As such, we would be keen to speak with you further to see if we could help you make a claim against your employer on the basis of their negligence in failing to adequately train you or risk assess the nature of the requirements of the role that they have assigned to you.


I hurt my knee from having to keep kneeling down at work. I work in retail and have done for 14 years. I have had pain in my knee for over a year now and I have had physiotherapy, but this hasn’t helped. Colleagues at work have said that I haven’t got a claim, as kneeling down is my fault! My employer has never provided me with a knee pad or kneeling mat – something the company used to supply, but apparently they don’t any longer.

Ian Morris

Whether or not you do have a valid claim for workplace injury compensation is something that we couldn’t say for certain at this time. However, given the failure of your employer to provide you with some sort of knee pad or kneeling mat to use whilst carrying out your duties does give an early indication of possible employer negligence and as such, we think it is worthwhile taking your claim enquiry a little further as if we can establish such negligence, you would have a good chance of succeeding with a claim for compensation. A successful claim in your situation could open the opportunity to obtain some specialist medical care that could help alleviate your symptoms.

We would like to speak to you on the phone briefly to find out a little more about the nature of your retail work and the injury you have and then pass the details to one of our specialist Solicitor partners so that they could consider the matter and speak with you in greater detail about a possible claim against your employer.

Your colleagues should be ignored and they certainly shouldn’t be telling you that you don’t have a claim. Why not contact us so that we can have a chat with you and let you get advice from a Solicitor so that you can be certain of your rights.

Chat with us for friendly, expert advice 01225 430285