Injured in a fall at work? See if you can claim compensation and how much

332 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

You are entitled to claim compensation if you have been injured by a slip, trip or fall at work as a result of employer negligence in providing a safe working environment. Here we look at what’s involved in making such a claim.

Table of contents

Can I make a claim if I fall at work and injure myself?

Simply being injured in a fall at work doesn’t mean you are eligible to claim compensation, the key to making a successful fall at work claim is being able to hold your employer responsible for your injuries, usually as a result of breaking health and safety rules.

You can make a personal injury claim if you fall at work because of your employer’s negligence rather than it being your own fault. This applies whether you are a full time, part time or temporary member of staff.

Employers have a legal responsibility to ensure a safe and secure working environment for staff and prevent foreseeable injuries. If your employer has failed to follow health and safety guidance to protect staff they can be held liable to pay compensation to anyone injured as a result.

The comments at the bottom of this article will further help you to understand the wide range of scenarios involved.

Employer responsibilities to prevent slips, trips and falls at work

Employers and contractors are responsible for their worker’s safety and injury claims will succeed if it can be proven they have been negligent and failed to comply with their statutory duties.

To reduce the risk of injury, employers must ensure:

  • That staff are given a safety induction relating to the workplace, made aware of accident risks and how to minimise them.
  • That staff are made aware as to how to deal with accidents and seek first aid.
  • That health and safety signage is properly and prominently displayed.
  • That all staff are provided with the correct PPE.
  • That staff are adequately qualified on any tools or machinery they use.
  • That faulty equipment is fixed asap and machinery regularly serviced.
  • That cleaners display hazard warning signs when making floors wet.
  • That any slip or trip hazards are identified and repaired or made safe.
  • That they follow working from height regulations

Claims for slipping on a wet floor

Slips at work are usually caused by wet floors and stairs. Employees can also slip if they are not provided with the correct footwear, or if a floor surface is not fit for purpose, such as no non-slip covering in potentially wet environments. Commonly we see slips caused by these workplace hazards:

  • Spillages of liquid or food
  • Recently cleaned floors
  • Rain, ice or snow
  • Leaking machinery, roofs and pipes

Employers should be prepared to do all that they can to minimise the chance of staff slipping and sustaining an injury. They must ensure that any wet floors are cleaned up and dry as soon as possible. If there is a spillage, water or other slipping risk present a wet floor sign should be erected to warn of the hazard. These should always be displayed when floors are being cleaned.

If your employer failed to display a hazard sign warning of a wet floor, you are likely to have a strong claim for slip and fall compensation if you’re injured as a result. Such an error confirms employer negligence and as such, it’s a valid claim. However, even if a hazard sign was erected, you could still be able to claim if it can be demonstrated that the sign was inadequately displayed – hidden or obscured from view, or located in the wrong place.

Claims for tripping over

Tripping accidents at work usually involve uneven floors and potholes in work areas and car parks. They can also arise as a result of a messy workplace, if wires or cables are not stored properly or if items are left in walkways or beside desks etc. We’ve dealt with claims arising from:

  • Rubbish and packaging on the floor
  • Broken steps and railings
  • Uneven floor surfaces
  • Loose wires and discarded items

Again, tripping hazards should be identified by your employer and action taken to warn staff and remove the risk in a reasonable time.

Claims for falls from height

Claims for falling from height at work often arise from ladder accidents, missing barriers, broken steps, guardrails or unmarked holes in the floor. We also see accidents involving falls from scaffolding, vehicle steps and tail lifts, forklift trucks and other plant machinery. Some claimants are injured because of insufficient training on equipment they’re tasked to use or because they were provided with the wrong equipment for the job.

Any activity performed above floor level carries the risk of a fall. This would include using foot or kick stools within shops or factories, through to the use of ladders, scaffolding and even rope climbing. Obviously some jobs are more dangerous in this respect than others, but the same basic health and safety laws apply to all.

Usually, falls from height involve a fall from one level to a lower level, they don’t include a slip or a trip on the same level or falling down a staircase.

According to the Health and Safety Executive: Work at height means work in any place where, if precautions were not taken, a person could fall a distance liable to cause personal injury. You are working at height if you:

  • Work above ground/floor level
  • Could fall from an edge, through an opening or fragile surface
  • Could fall from ground level into an opening in a floor or a hole in the ground

Working at height regulations

The Work at Height Regulations 2005 were specifically created to protect those working at height, whether half a mile above the ground or simply standing on a chair. Regardless of the kind of workplace, If employers are tasking staff members to work at height, they must by law ensure:

  • That staff are adequately trained in how to access anything at a height above arms reach.
  • That staff understand what equipment they should use to safely access the height needed.
  • To provide the right equipment to access anything at height.
  • That equipment used to work at height is regularly maintained and repaired.
  • That such equipment found to be faulty or dangerous is removed from use.

Common work injury claims after a fall

Slips, trips and falls at work, accounted for 29% of all non-fatal work injuries in a 2019/20 survey by the HSE. While they may seem innocuous, the injuries suffered can have big implications for the injured persons’ future.

Common injury claims include slipped discs, fractures to the ankles, legs, arms and wrists, or to the coccyx area of the lower back. They can also cause people to suffer nasty soft tissue injuries with damage to the knees, hips and shoulders.

In most cases, people are left with mobility and independence impairments, whether temporary or permanent. In cases of severe injuries, such as an open fracture, we have also helped people who have suffered psychological trauma.

Is it worth claiming compensation?

If you’re injured after a slip, trip or fall at work, claiming accident at work compensation can help ease some of the problems you’ll experience in a number of ways:

  • Claiming injury compensation is a legal right, and if successful it fairly compensates you for injuries that were not your fault.
  • A successful claim can help to pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • Claiming can recoup your expenses and make up for lost income now and in the future if you are prevented from working again.

As well as the pain and discomfort of an injury, it’s the stress of losing income that often forces workers to claim compensation. All employees are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if they do not get full sickness pay, but this is often not enough to live on.

It’s worth noting that it’s absolutely possible to maintain a good relationship with your employer while making a claim, and you can’t be sacked for doing so. Furthermore, your employer’s liability insurance deals with the claim and pays the compensation, rather than the business itself, so you can be assured you’re not placing colleague’s jobs at risk.

Finally, as all claims are made on a No Win No Fee basis, you will never be charged if your claim does not succeed.

How much compensation can I claim for a fall?

A successful personal injury claim will ultimately see a claimant recover a settlement for their injuries, ongoing treatment and also for their special damages, which covers lost earnings.

How much you can claim for a fall at work is calculated from the severity of the injury, your financial losses and the impact on your quality of life. This would include:

  • The pain and distress caused to you by the injuries sustained
  • Psychological effects from the accident and/or injury
  • Associated costs and losses
  • Lost earnings if you have been away from work as a result of the accident
  • Medical treatments, rehabilitation therapies and post accident care
  • Restrictions on your ability to fulfil your usual activities and social life
  • Miscellaneous expenses (bus fares, painkillers etc)

Compensation amounts for injuries after a fall

There are guidelines issued by the courts for solicitors, but it’s impossible to say exactly how much you can expect as all cases vary. Some example values are listed in the table below for common fall injury claims, these are excluding special damages:

Type of injuryCompensation amount
Neck injury£2,000 - £140,000
Minor brain or head injury£2,070 - £11,980
Finger injury£4,000 - £85,000
Wrist injury£3,310 - £44,690
Hip or pelvis injury£3,710 - £24,950
Fractured forearm£6,190 - £18,020
Permanent back injury£11,730 - £26,050
Serious shoulder injury£11,980 - £18,020
Ankle injury£12,900 - £46,980

What should I do after being injured at work?

After being injured at work it is important to understand your rights so that you can confidently manage your recovery and working future. Your employer has a duty of care to you if you’re injured, and there’s a lot you can do to help yourself after a work accident.

When a slip, trip or fall leads to injury you should record the details within your employer’s accident book. If they don’t have an accident book, or won’t let you have access to it, there are things you can do.

If you are receiving ongoing treatment for your injuries your employer MUST release you to attend appointments..

If your usual work involves aspects of hard physical labour such as heavy lifting, carrying, climbing or standing for long periods, your employer is duty bound to accommodate you (where possible) in returning to work on lighter duties whilst you complete your recovery.

What evidence do I need to win a claim?

A successful claim for a fall at work will need evidence to back up what happened and prove the accident was not your fault.

First and foremost, the incident should be recorded with the company in its accident book.

Witness statements are also admissible as evidence, so try to collect the names and contact details of anyone who saw your accident and is willing to back up your claim.

If you can take photos of what caused your accident it can be really useful in forcing your employer to admit liability. Try to show the size of any tripping hazards by using something like a coin for scale.

Medical evidence will be used to evaluate how much your injury claim is worth, so it’s important to seek professional medical treatment for your injuries at the earliest opportunity. Also, ensure that your GP is made aware of any ongoing problems with an injury to ensure a fair compensation amount. If your injuries don’t settle and you notice discomfort a few weeks or months later, or if you’re not sleeping or feeling depressed because of your injuries, make sure it’s on your medical records.

Keep a record of any lost wages and expenses you incur as a result of your injuries as you may be able to claim those costs back.

If all this seems a bit complicated, or you haven’t done any of the above, don’t worry – if you contact us we can talk you through it and help you to complete the necessary steps.

How do I make a claim?

You can start your claim online or , and one of our expert team will be in touch. Alternatively, call us on 01225 430285. We’ll only need a few minutes of your time to let you know if you can make a claim.

With over 20 years’ experience, you can use our knowledge and expertise to get your claim off to the best start. There is no charge for assessing your case, so you have nothing to lose and much to gain if you can make a successful claim.

332 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Leave a comment or question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll reply as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Comments & Questions

Read on for questions and advice about claiming, plus fall at work claim examples...

I am enquiring today on behalf of a freind, who has recently suffered a bad fall whilst at work. He is a teaching assistant at a special needs school. Part of his many duties are engaging children on a one to one basis in various activities. Whist doing this with a pupil, outside on an Astroturf pitch, belonging to the school, he slipped and fell, causing him to beak his arm badly.
The astroturf was wet due to a previous rainfall.
He has now endured severe pain and distress via this accident and also had to have an operation to wire and pin the break.
He was performing his work roll at the school via a temp agency. He isnt currantly contracted to the school but was hopefull that this would eventually come about.
He is unable to work now in any capacity and will have to undergo further xrays/treatment for at least the next two to three months.
He is also slightly reticent to pursue a claim over this, because he feels that it may predjudice his future possible position with the school.

Ian Morris

Making a legitimate claim after a non-fault accident at work is a legal right and any person exercising that right to make a claim should not suffer any prejudicial treatment from an employer. In the scenario you describe, your friend works within a school and can be confident that their future employment would not be impacted by making a claim.

The key issue in the scenario you describe is whether employer liability can be attached to the accident. Clearly the injury is sufficiently severe, but can the fall on the astroturf be attributed to negligence in anyway? We would need to speak with your friend to find out more about the work that they were expected to do at the time and whether the employer could have reasonably been expected to foresee such an accident. Although your friend has clear anxiety about making a claim, we are always available to have a no-obligation conversation with people about their accident so that we can identify whether they have valid grounds to pursue a claim and they can then decide whether or not they wish to pursue their claim.

Your friend can call us on 01225430285 or use our website to seek further contact. Alternatively, they are welcome to email me directly to discuss the matter.


I have been in touch before about my sons fall at work and his death i have heard from the health safety that he went up the gantry to clear the machine because it had blocked up his workmate was clearing one side and my son was clearing the other side and my son lost his footing and fell about 3meters hard to explain but there was safety rails but not where my son fell he fell backwards off the machinery and on to the floor.

Ian Morris

Please contact us so that we can further investigate this matter and assist you with a claim on behalf of your late Son.


I had a bad fall at work (slipped on wet floor) I damaged a bone in my index finger and hair line scaphoid fracture on wrist, I hurt my knee and since having this fall I have developed Arthritis which the DR’s say was probably caused by the fall , I have lost use of index finger and can not weight bare in my wrist the accident was 2 years ago , I’m now on medication for rest of my life and I could no longer do my job so I have now had to leave a 20 year career in care do I have the right to put in a claim ?

Ian Morris

You certainly have the right to pursue a claim – indeed, any employee injured whilst at work as a result of negligence, employer breach of duty (this can include lack of training, inadequate equipment etc) has a right to seek compensation from their employers mandatory insurance cover.

It is almost certainly the case that the arthritis that you are now coping with was caused to be symptomatic by the injury that you have sustained. Athritic joints (osteoarthritis) is usually associated with age degeneration and is a sad reality that most of us have to accept in old age. However, where younger people are suffering from this condition as a result of a trauma to a joint, a successful compensation claim will see them able to claim compensation for the acceleration of symptoms and the impact of the condition (along with the initial injury) when setting their claim.


My son had to work about 10 feet or 12 feet above where he actually worked – he had to go up there to clear the machine if it got clogged up, he had to clear it of cardboard. There was a rail going around but he fell and passed away. Should he of had a hard hat on and a belt clipped to the rail to stop him falling? I read on google that if you work at height you had to wear a hat, that it was the law or compulsory.

Ian Morris

Employers do have a duty of care to ensure that all staff working at height are given the appropriate safety training and that the right personal protective equipment and other safety measures are provided and enforced.

In this case, as there has been a fatality, the incident should have been subject to a Health and Safety Executive investigation and reported to RIDDOR. If their reports show any element of employer failure, the next of kin of the deceased can pursue a claim on behalf of the estate of the deceased.


I slipped on the stairs at work and hit my back. I stayed at home for a week with pain and I wasn’t paid. Now I still feel pain but I started work because otherwise I can’t support myself. I’m also pregnant in 3 months. Can I do something?

Ian Morris

It is understandable that you have returned to work due to the financial pressure of needing to earn an income. Returning to your duties after an accident work will not impact any right to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

In this case, we need to know what caused you to slip on the stairs at work, so that we can identify whether or not you can make a claim. As an example, if there was a spillage on the stairs or the stairs were wet but no hazard signs were on display, you would have a valid claim. Likewise, if the stairs were damaged or disrepaired, your employer would be liable for any injuries and lost income. However, if you simply misplaced your footing because you were not looking where you were going, you would not have valid grounds to make a claim.

Please call us on 01225430285 so that we can discuss your accident and advise you further. Alternatively, you can use the form on our website to provide further information and we’ll then call you to discuss your claim for compensation.


I had a fall at work, when I tripped over toys on the floor. This caused a fractured in my tibia. Management were in the room when it happened but just laughed it aside, as seeing me falling seemed too funny. I sat on the floor in pain but felt silly for making a fuss. No accident report was made, with no one checking on me and I stayed on the rest of my shift. A hospital trip later that night confirmed it to be fractured. Now I am on crutches and in a boot, my work are already asking when I will be back. It’s only been 4 days.

Ian Morris

It’s vitally important that you try to ensure that an accident book entry is now made. Although people laughed at the time because they hadn’t realised the severity of your injury, they should now allow a record to be made given that Management witnessed the incident. The best course of action would be to email your employer outlining what happened in your words. You should state what caused you to trip (toys on the floor) and what injury you have sustained, listing the date and approximate time of the fall.

We would be very happy to speak further with you regarding this injury at work as it would seem that you have grounds to pursue a claim for compensation. Please call us on 01225430285 or contact us via our website for further help.

In terms of your return to work, you should follow doctors orders. If your job is something that you can do with limited mobility/using crutches, you should return when you feel able to do so. If however, the injury requires you to be fully mobile, you will clearly have to wait until any cast or support boot is no longer required before you are able to go back to your duties. If you lose pay through any period of absence from work, we can help you to recover any lost income by making a claim for compensation for you.


I slipped on a wet metal doorframe at work. There were no signs to indicate it would be slippery if wet. I broke my nose and my radial head in my arm and had to have a radial head replacement implant. I’ve been off work for 4 months. I’ve been told I have no grounds to claim compensation by another law firm as there is no obvious defect. Would they be correct?

Ian Morris

Our initial view is more positive than the one you appear to have been given by other specialists. As the door frame was wet and slippery, there could well be potential to pursue a claim for personal injury compensation and we’d like to put this matter before our specialist Solicitors for detailed consideration. Your injuries are clearly serious and as such, it is reasonable and right to further consider this potential claim.


I am postwoman I full over and hurt my chest on the street.

Ian Morris

How did this happen? Did you trip on some disrepair or unsafe pavement surface? If so, please email photographs of the accident site to us at and we can then review this for you.


I have had an accident at work which I slipped on wet floor in the kitchen while there was no any sign, I went to the hospital by ambulance, so now I am suffering from severe pain on my back and I have bruised on my back because of fell down on the floor.
I would to know can I claim for personal injury?
I would appreciate it if, you give me advice.


I work in a carehome as a cleaner. Rooms are quite cluttered and a commode was left in the middle of the room by a carer. As I was cleaning I turned and fell over it. Landing on my left knee. I was stuck there for quite a while as my leg was dead. When I adventually got up. I called for help and the manager checked my leg and I went to hospital. Knee was xrayed badly bruised and told to rest it. I was booked on annual leave to go away 2 days later. This ruined my holiday as I was on crutches. I took another week off after so the swelling was down and I could walk properly.. I was paid SSP for the second week. Went back as I couldn’t afford to not go back. Still painfull now as the day goes on after 3 months. Could I make a claim ?

Ian Morris

We feel that you have valid grounds to make a claim for personal injury compensation. Employers have a duty of care to ensure a safe working environment and if they have allowed rooms to become unduly cluttered, we can argue that the employer has have been negligent. Of course, your claim will be strengthened if there is any evidence of people having complained about the clutter, but in any event, we feel that you should make a claim.


I had a fall at work. My foot got caught in flooring that was coming up and I had previously reported this as dangerous. The maintenance man put duct tape over the area. It was put on plan on for repair. This did not happen. I reported it again and was informed plan on had been sent. Another area of flooring near to the aforementioned area also came up and I reported it again. Small tacs were put down to try to join the floor edges together. To date no repair has taken place. At some point too the duct tape had been removed leaving exposed flooring again. The area where tacs put in the flooring was coming up around the tacs and a piece of flooring missing. I was walking into the medication room and as I said caught my shoe in the flooring that was coming up. I have now been off work for 8 days and will try to go back to work tomorrow. My injuries are: shoulder pulled and painful with less ROM. Knee painful and was swollen making it difficult to get upstairs hence sleeping on the sofa. Knee locking at times. Uncomfortable to put pressure on the leg. Swelling in thigh and bruising. Rib cage very painful and this remains the worse injury. Sore all over with neck and back discomfort. I cannot afford to be off work getting SSP. I am a nurse. GP prescribed three lots of medication including strong painkillers. No record in an accident book as person in charge due not know we have one. GP is referring me for physio later as injuries still acute. My concern is I reported this flooring more than once and still not repaired. I had said one of our patients could possibly fall and little did I know it would be me!! I believe there is negligence on my employers part to keep those we look after safe and the staff. I should not be feeling this pain and discomfort and having to modify my activities of daily living due to negligence. My emotional state is affected too as it has made my mood low and I am tearful. I want to put in a claim fir my injuries and suffering.

Ian Morris

From the description of the accident you have provided, we believe that you are in a strong position to make a claim and that establishing negligence on the part of your employer is clearly possible. As you had reported the faults with the floor, your employer was on notice of a risk to health and safety within the workplace and the flooring in question should have been repaired correctly or cordoned off until repaired.

If successful, you can claim compensation for the various physical injuries sustained as well as for the impact of the injuries on your mental health and personal life. We can also recover lost income or overtime that you may lose out on whilst away from work.


I fell off a low loader trailer approximately 3-4 years ago holding an object weighing in excess of 15kg, I went to hospital had an X-ray and physo!! I recently hurt my knee again doing my duties at work!
I have now been off for 5 weeks and I cannot return just yet due to being in a splint and on crutches! I am awaiting my consolation for the results of my MRI scan!
I have not claimed any ssp from my employer, but they have basically let me rinse my holiday entitlement as pay! So my future booked holidays are now going to be unpaid!! Obviously being off work has a massive financial impact, as my earnings would be approximately £1500-1800 per fortnight due to my work being in the events industry,
I’ve been with the company almost 20 years and the current owners have held the company for about 4 years. Kind regards. Wayne

Ian Morris

The initial accident you mention some 3-4 years ago is now out side of the 3 year claim period, so you cannot take action for that incident or injury. However, the more recent injury to your knee that has caused you a prolonged period of absence from work may well be something which we can assist with. Please explain how you were injured at work recently and we can then advise you about a potential claim for personal injury compensation.


I was putting Air in the trailer tyres and stood up!! due to the previous injury which is an ongoing issue my knee just gave way simple as that

Ian Morris

Your injury is clearly unfortunate and may well be linked to your previous accident. Unfortunately however, it is unlikely that you would be able to establish employer negligence on the 2nd incident and that establishing a causal link would be prohibitively risky for a Solicitor to be able to act on a No Win No Fee basis.


My husband had a bad fall at work into a Pit 3 meters down. A heavy beam hit him on the head as it fell as well. He sustained a fractured wrist and hand and needed to stay in hospital and have a 2 hour operation to put his wrist and hand back together. He has been off for 9 weeks and is still in plaster. 3 weeks more in plaster and then he goes back to hospital for another operation to find out how his hand and wrist work. Since the Accident, he has been called into his workplace and been given a first written warning due to the accident. He should have been provided with a harness, but never was issued with one. At first he was a little coerced into saying he had one. The company premises he was on are a big buyer of the company he works for and the lead engineer asked my husband and another lad (who did not get injured) to all stick to the same story, which they did. However my husband has decided to now tell the truth as his injuries are much worse than first thought. Also he got the warning for not wearing a harness, although now he has told the truth he was never given one. With this in mind, can the warning be withdrawn?


I work for a fish processing plant. They left out an empty wooden pallet which I tripped over and re-injured my lower back after surgery i’d had 3 years ago.
They also make me climb up a ladder that is a pallet leaning against a wall.

Can I file a claim for my back? My neurologist wants to re-check my back but its way too expensive.

Ian Morris

It would appear that your employer has allowed a hazard (in this case the wooden pallet) to obstruct a walkway and that they are therefore liable for your injury.

You have a right to pursue a claim for personal injury compensation as a result and should be able to recover medical expenses if successful.


I am a cleaner, I had just cleaned and mopped the floor – I had put signs out and slipped on the step on my way out, I did not report in an accident book as Did not know where it was, I have been off work for just under a week. Can I claim for this?
Work are refusing to pay for any time off.

Ian Morris

If you slipped on a floor that you had made wet through mopping the floor and you knew it was wet, you would not be able to pursue a claim as there is no negligent party against whom to take action.


I work as a Telecommunications Engineer. I fell down on some concrete stairs leading into the basement at a customers property. I fractured my coccyx and have been off work for around 10 months. I was told I can’t make a claim because I fell at a customers property. Could you help?

Ian Morris

Attempting to pursue a claim against an individual property owner is not straightforward as it is unknown whether the property owner would have insurance or the financial might to be able to compensate you if you succeeded with a claim. As such, Solicitors are often reluctant to go against an individual whereas they have no qualms when pursuing action against an organisation or insurers as they can be certain that should they succeed, funds will be available to compensate their client and to finance the costs of the legal process.

In your case, although you were injured in a customers property, you may be able to make a claim against your employer if it can be shown that they had failed to take all reasonable precautions to prevent you from falling. With this in mind, we first need to know what caused you to fall and whether there are any questions to ask regarding adequate training from your employer or their provision of suitable and correct work equipment or even whether the employer risk assessed the work in question correctly. If you feel that there are potential questions to ask of your employer and their approach to your health and safety, we may well be able to assist you.


My mother has fallen in work and broken her humerus bone. After 3 months in a cast its now been decided that an operation will need to be had and she will never regain full movement of her arm, it will be a disability. We have spoken to a solicitor who says without proof that it was the employers fault the accident happened, she wont be able to claim. Please could you advise?

Kind regards,

Ian Morris

The Solicitor you mention is correct in that evidence of employer negligence is always needed to enable a personal injury claim to succeed. There are many ways of evidencing an accident in the workplace such as an accident book entry, ambulance notes (if an ambulance attended the scene), Hospital/GP records or emails/texts from an injured employee to an employer.

In your Mothers case, there is clearly a serious injury with permanent consequences. As such, it would be fair and reasonable to pursue a claim against the employer if there is any question of employer negligence. You mention that your Mother fell at work. Do you know why she fell and what caused this? If you can elaborate on the accident itself a little, we can advise further as to a potential No Win No Fee claim for personal injury compensation.


I have worked for an employer for a few weeks on a cash in hand basis. The employer was happy with my work and he wanted me to continue working for him. However, I tripped over a power lead that was stretched across the entrance to an area that I need access to and was injured.

The accident was recorded in the accident book, but I did not read or sign this. I don’t know what was written.

The employer has asked for proof from my Doctor regarding the injuries I have sustained, as he believed they were not serious. However whilst at A and E, they x-rayed me and confirmed that I have a fractured knee cap.

What should I do?

Ian Morris

Your employer has no reason to doubt you, but if you want to provide evidence of the injury to your knee, you should ask your GP to sign you off and then provide the sick note (which should confirm the reason for your absence from work being a knee fracture) and hand this to the employer.

In terms of the injury itself, you can pursue a claim for personal injury compensation as the cause of your accident (tripping on a power cable that was laying across the entrance to an area you needed to access to work) can be seen as an act of negligence.


Thanks for the reply Ian.
I took your advice, and provided a sick note confirming the injury.
I am not entitled to sick pay, as I am a casual contractor.
My employer informed me that he, and the owner of the company, plan to contest my claim.
Is there much point? I doubt anyone wants to give a witness statement, in this instance, as I sense the workforce feel somewhat intimidated by the boss, which i do understand.
Is there much hope of a successful claim here?

Ian Morris

The employer and their insurers may wish to contest a claim if you make one – as is the employers right. Whether or not their defence of a claim would hold weight will depend on what evidence there is available to support your claim. Was an accident book filled in at the time of the fall? Is there anything in writing anywhere (emails, text messages, accident book) that mentions tripping over a power cable? If so, you have every chance of succeeding.

Importantly however, you can pursue a claim on a No Win No Fee basis so if the claim were to fail, whilst you would be disappointed, you would not face any financial liability for the costs of the claims process.


I had a trip at work. There was a manhole cover with a metal plate attached to it which was slightly raised causing me to kick the plate and fall forward injuring my knee. I sought medical attention and was off work for 2 weeks and I’m now getting physiotherapy for the injury.

I’ve heard that I’m not entitled to claim. Is this correct?

Ian Morris

Whoever told you that you cannot make a claim is incorrect. Any person injured due to negligence has a right to make a claim if it can be shown that the raised edge of the manhole cover met the criteria needed to pursue a claim for tripping accident compensation. Essentially, we need to consider the height of the raised part that caused you to trip and whether disrepair or negligence has played a part in the edge being raised.


I was at work and another employer drove his forklift into the trolly I was using to pick and pack. The trolley then crushed my leg between that and a pallet of wood where I fell. My leg and ankle has server bruising and my shin has a dent where it bled. I did attend the hospital where they advised I would need some time off. This was not my fault and has put me out of work because someone else. Is there anything I can do?

Ian Morris

You were injured through no fault of your own and due to the negligence of the forklift driver. As such, you can make a claim for personal injury compensation and loss of income and we can help you with this on a No Win No Fee basis. Making a claim in these circumstances has no impact on your right to continue with your job when you are fit to do so and you cannot face any discrimination or negative consequences from your employer for making a legitimate claim.

Chat with us for friendly, expert advice 01225 430285