Hip Injury Compensation Claims & Settlement Values

40 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Hip injuries are commonly sustained as a result of a slip or trip, in accidents at work and also in road traffic accidents. A claim for compensation will succeed if it can be shown that the cause was due to the negligent actions of a 3rd party, an employer, business or land owner. As well as for the injury itself, you can also claim for rehabilitation costs and other out of pocket expenses.

Table of contents:

Common hip injuries and their causes

Hip fractures are most commonly associated with a fall on a hard surface after a slip or trip. They can also occur in heavy trauma incidents such as those seen in motorcycle and other road traffic accidents. There are almost 100,000 hip fractures recorded in the UK every year.

Similarly, hips can often dislocate after a fall from height or when dangerous machinery is used by untrained workers.

Muscle and ligament damage to the hip area can be caused by over stretching or lifting dangerously, particularly in environments where safe lifting techniques have not been taught.

Hip bursitis can be associated with a repetitive strain injury or as a result of a heavy impact to the hip.

Although hip injuries can happen to any person, some demographics are more susceptible to the risk of a fall or impact causing trauma to the hip. For those of old age or with pre-existing health conditions, a serious hip injury can occur even from an innocuous fall. In most cases where a younger person has suffered a hip injury, the cause of the injury rests with an obvious heavy trauma such as a road traffic accident or a fall from height.

Compensation amounts for hip and pelvic injuries

The most serious injuries to the hip or pelvis can be as devastating as a leg amputation, and can therefore attract high settlement values.

Remember, you can also claim for special damages, which include your expenses and care costs now and in the future, among other things. The figures below are for just the injury itself.

Severe hip injuries

Extensive fractures which result in a lack of bladder and bowel control, sexual dysfunction or deformity, can expect compensation amounts of between £60,000 and £110,000.

Slightly less severe hip injuries but which are similar to the above can expect £45,000 to £65,000. This drops to between £30,000 and £45,000 in the next bracket, where hip replacements are only partially successful and future surgery is likely.

Moderate hip injuries

This would cover significant injury to the hip or pelvis but without any major permanent disability or future risk. The top bracket here is £20,000 to £30,000.

In cases where a hip replacement or other surgery is successful (or likely to be in future), and any ongoing symptoms are minimal, compensation amounts range between £10,000 and £20,000.

Minor hip injuries

Lesser, though significant, injuries would include cases where there is little ongoing disability. Here the award would be between £3,000 and £10,000. For those who recover within two years, the amount would likely be under £6,000.

Soft tissue injuries to the hip can expect settlements of up to £3,000.

Proving liability in hip injury compensation claims

The liable party in any claim for compensation is the party responsible for the incident that lead to the injury.

In cases where a hip injury is sustained in an accident at work, whether as a result of a fall from height, a slip on a wet floor or due to faulty machinery, an employer would be liable if they have been negligent and failed to provide the correct training, adequate risk assessments or machinery maintenance. Such a claim would proceed using various legislation including the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

If a hip injury is sustained in a road traffic accident or motorcycle accident, the liability will rest with the driver responsible for causing the accident.

For a claim after a fall a solicitor will use the Occupier Liability Act 1957 to prove negligence against the relevant landowner or organisation.

If a hip injury is sustained as a result of a fall in supermarket or a shop, the business running the shop in question must be able to demonstrate that they have an adequate hazard identification inspection regime in place. They must ensure that any spills or hazards can be identified in a reasonable time frame and the risks of a customer or visitor slipping are minimised. If there has been a failure to apply such a procedure, proving negligence and succeeding with a hip injury compensation claim is likely to be possible.

Start your claim today

With expert knowledge across all claim sectors, Direct2Compensation know your rights and can quickly ascertain whether or not the cause of your hip injury will lead to a valid claim for hip injury compensation.

Our easy to understand claims process will give you the confidence to proceed with your claim, and our solicitors will work tirelessly to ensure you have the best possible chance of success.

Call us on 01225 430285 to see how we can help, or if you prefer, .

40 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Leave a comment or question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll reply as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Comments & Questions

Read on for questions and advice about claiming, plus hip injury claim examples...

I work as a nurse in the children’s phlebotomy clinic at Ipswich hospital. At the end of March a patient tried to bite me and pushed me into a bin which in a position it shouldn’t have been far too close to the bed. I have since been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my right hip which has been aggravated by the push the day I got pushed I was pain free the day after I was limping and it has deteriorated to the point I can barely walk, please advise.

Ian Morris

Our Solicitors can certainly advise you further and it would seem that there a viable potential to succeed with a claim for personal injury compensation. Given the fact that a bin has been placed in the wrong or dangerous location, you have every right to pursue a claim and we would be very happy to help you.

If you would like to discuss this matter and find out more about your rights and the personal injury No Win No Fee claims process, please call us on 01225430285. Alternatively, you can provide some initial details via the start a claim form on our website and we’ll contact you to offer further advice and information.


My hips have deteriorated over time, directly caused by walking long distances and standing long hours, doing security work for over a decade.
My back has also deteriorated over time, both these medical issues have rendered me unable to work.

I am wondering if my employers have any liability.

Many thanks for your time and help spent assisting me with my query.

Ian Morris

Sadly, we don’t believe that you would succeed with such a claim. Whilst your employer does have a duty of care towards your health and safety at work, establishing that your employer has been negligent and caused your back and hip deterioration is likely to be impossible and would likely be seen as age related degeneration.


Hi, I had accident at work that not my fault. I have ended up having my left hip replaced and left foot permanently damaged with weakness and pain. This happened on 24.10.2019.

I believe I must now make a claim for personal injury compensation because I have lost so many things as a result of this injury after my accident.

Ian Morris

You are still within the 3 year claim limitation period and have just over 1 year of that remaining. As such, we can certainly help you to pursue your claim and look forward to hearing from you. It is important that you avoid any further delay and get your claim started as soon as possible.

Please call us on 01225430285 for further help.


I fell off a till chair in May 2019 and went to a & e as my finger was injured. When I woke up the next day I had bad hip pain and was off work until the November. In the October my Husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer and went into a care home and passed away in Feb 2020. I returned to work in the November of 2019 and Waitrose altered my hours so I could be free to visit my Husband.

My hip has deteriorated badly, so much so that I can hardly walk. I have had an MRI which has showed that I need a hip replacement and the Doctor asked if I had injured it in an accident.

The reason I never pursued a claim before was because my hip has given me problems over the years so didn’t think I would win as this is on my medical records, but when the doctor asked if I had injured in an accident it made me have a re-think. Would I be able to claim ? This would help pay for me to have the replacement done privately.

Ian Morris

Despite the fact that you have had some hip pain problems previously, it would seem that the Doctor was drawing a direct link between your accident at work and the need for you to have your hip replaced.

In terms of a claim, you certainly have a right to pursue a claim and we would be happy to help you further with this. You are still within the 3 year claim limitation period, but that will expire in May 2022, so it would be prudent for you to act quickly as there is not too much time left for our Solicitors to be able to build a robust and sound claim for you.

We need to find out how you fell from the chair and obtain some basic contact details so that we can then have our Solicitors take this further for you on a No Win No Fee basis.


I had an accident in a bupa care home 29 Dec 2016 using a hoist. Yesterday I underwent a total hip replacement in private hospital on nhs. I have had four years of pain and upset. I am aware three years have passed to claim. Can you advise me how I can claim compensation?

Aaron lloyd

I was involved in a road traffic collision a year ago and I was in hospital for 13 days. I got a fracture to my hip and dislocated my leg and have been left with a large scar on my forehead.

The driver wasn’t insured. I wasn’t sure of my claim going to motor insurers bureau. When a claim goes to them do you get less money? I am not sure how it works with the motor insurance bureau.

Ian Morris

Do you have legal representation in your claim? If not, we can certainly help you pursue a claim via the Motor Insurers Bureau.

The Motor Insurers Bureau operates two schemes – the uninsured driver scheme (for those injured by drivers without insurance where their details are known) and the untraced driver scheme (for those injured in hit and run incidents where the person(s) who have caused the collision or injury have fled the scene and are unknown. The Motor Insurers Bureau act as if they were the insurer and handle claims in a similar way.

It is important to note that you do not have to instruct a Solicitor to pursue a claim to the Motor Insurers Bureau and you can liaise with them directly yourself.

Ian Morris

If you are over the age of 21, the fact that more than 3 years have now passed since you sustained the injury renders any right to claim compensation redundant.


I broke my neck of femur in January 2020 and had it repaired. Now 16 months down the line I’m aware it is non united after numerous x rays and being told it had healed. I’m waiting to have a replacement now and feel I’ve been let down terribly. Have I a case for a claim of negligence ?

Ian Morris

Our specialist clinical negligence Solicitors will be able to consider the treatment you have received and whether there is a prospect of establishing that the treatment was negligent. If they are of that view, they could then pursue a No Win No Fee claim for clinical negligence compensation for you.



I was involved in a car accident with Uber yesterday, however, the accident was not caused by the Uber but by another car who was driven by a very elderly man who seemed to not understand much or maybe hear during conversations after the crash. The crash was minor. The mirror and some other car parts fell off from the Uber.

My issue is that I did not have any bruises or pain during the car crash or 10 minutes afterwards. However, a bruise started developing on my hip when I was away from the accident. Now (the day after) I have a bruise and my hip is a bit swollen. It hurts when I walk, when something touches the bruise and I cannot lay on that side and it also hurts when I sit on a chair because the skin tightens. I’m going to contact my gp today for a check up.

My question is, I’m not sure what to do next. Shall I take a claim? How can I do that? From who will I be claiming?

Thank you, I’ll be waiting on your reply

Ian Morris

You can make a claim for compensation. As a fare paying passenger injured in an accident whilst travelling, you are entitled to pursue a claim against the insurance of the negligent driver who caused the accident. No doubt the Uber driver obtained the details of the 3rd party and our Solicitors can trace that information for you.

Your Uber app will provide evidence that you were in the vehicle at the time of the incident and that should also include the vehicle details for the car you were in. Whilst that driver is not the at fault party, that information will help our Solicitors to establish the identity of the liable party and enable a claim to proceed.

We can help you to pursue your claim on a No Win No Fee basis.

With regards to your injury, given that you are noticing increasing pain and discomfort, it is important that you attempt to seek medical advice. You can arrange a telephone consultation with your GP regarding this. You should let them know what happened what symptoms and pain you are suffering so that they can prescribe appropriate medication and ensure that your injuries are recorded for future medical evidence.


Hello. I am a Pipefitter and was diagnosed with OA of the hip approx 2 years ago. I continued to work thru it, consulted our nurse at work about it, and was at bi monthly doctor appointments. Two days ago my employer laid me off. Would I still be able to use my STD benefits, as they are going to continue benefits fir 90 days and my doctor would support me in this cause?

Ian Morris

It is most likely that you would remain entitled to the benefits you mention.

In terms of the injury to your hip, as the diagnosis was 2 years ago, you will soon be ruled out from making a claim if you have not already done so. Any claim must be made within 3 years of the date of diagnosis or ‘knowledge’ of the condition. Therefore, you should act quickly and contact us on 01225430285 to make a claim and find out how we can help you.


My partner slipped down wet stairs at work Feb 19. She was in a lot of pain and was taken to hospital for her injuries. At hospital she was assessed and told it was bruising and only required painkillers (no x-ray). After a couple of months in major pain and time off work, going back and forward to hospital and her GP surgery they agreed she should have a x-rays. She has been diagnosed with having hip osteoarthritis and been told she will require a hip replacement in later life. She is 42 years old very fit and healthy and has never complained or had any knowledge of hip problems. Could her hip osteoarthritis be the cause of the accident? She is still in a lot of pain and can’t as yet.

Ian Morris

We are not medical experts, but it would be a reasonable assumption to link the nasty fall your wife had on the wet steps to the hip issue that has been identified.

If your wife were to pursue a claim for hip injury compensation, a medical expert would be instructed to assess her, look at the medical records relating to the treatment given after the recent accident and then write a detailed report that would be able to draw any link between the two incidents in order to benefit the claim.

Your wife can call us on 01225430285 to discuss her accident and possible claim should she wish.


Good day, I worked at a butchery and floor was always wet with blood and water. I slipped and hit the side of a bucket which my right hip caught. I fell on top of the bucket on my right hip, nothing was done at that time. Next day it was purple and blue then I showed the owner and they just said ooh looks sore. After some time I started getting pains in my hips and back went to government hospital and they discovered that my l5 was askew. This accident happened when I was working at the butchery for 5 years in 2010. Now I have so many problems with my back and hips. Can i still do something about that accident seeing it’s so many years ago?

Ian Morris

UK personal injury law only allows you to make a claim if you do so within 3 years of the date of the accident. It would appear that you are outside of this important time frame now and as such, we would not be able to make a claim now.


Hi I broke my hip at work I have tried to make a claim, but the company has deleted the cctv and also lied by saying the shop floor is cleaned every half an hour. Can you help me please?

Ian Morris

Was your previous attempt at making a claim for compensation handled by a specialist personal injury Solicitor? If so, the only way that you would have any prospect of succeeding with a 2nd attempt would be by providing new evidence.

It is clear from what you say that the employer has been dishonest in their defence of the claim, but for you to prove that is not easy. You would need some evidence such as witness statements from colleagues – who may not be willing to go against the employer – confirming that the floor is not cleaned regularly as they state and perhaps witnesses to your fall. Do you know if the employer was asked to provide evidence to support their claim that they clean the floors every 30 minutes?


I fell at work in February 2011 and broke my hip replacement. I work in a school and a student put his foot out. I had to take time off. When I went back to work I was unable to carry on attending physiotherapy. I am now off work again and am having to have a full knee replacement that is likely to be related to the broken hip from 2011. Is it too late to claim?

Ian Morris

Unfortunately, you are unable to do anything now. Given that 7 & 1/2 years have passed since your injury, UK Personal Injury Law bars you from taking action as you have exceeded the maximum claim limitation period of 3 years from the date of an accident.


I phoned my former employer and asked to speak to the HSE who had an Office in the work place where I’d had a serious accident. I explained to her what had happened and she was very shocked to hear and said that if she had known, she would have come to the Hospital and given me a big bunch of flowers.

As a result of this, I am now thinking that the HSE didn’t know about the accident. I am so disgusted by this. I have been through 2 surgeries, rehabilitation and now have a large scar on my leg of which I have pictures. I feel as if this is being pushed under the carpet. I had around 50 stitches in my leg after having pins and screws put in to my leg to pin my hip together.

Ian Morris

Given the severity of your injury, it would be right and proper for the matter to have been reported to RIDDOR and the HSE. If the employer hasn’t done this, then they could face scrutiny.

What was the cause of your accident at work? We would be very happy to discuss your accident with you in order to ascertain whether or not you have a valid claim for work accident compensation. Clearly, given the extent of your injuries you would receive a large settlement if your employer was negligent and you were to win your claim for compensation. To find out more and discuss your rights after an injury at work, please call us on 01225430285.


I teach in a Special Needs school and a few months ago I was taking part in a dance session with my class led by a dance coach. I was supporting one of my pupils to participate when she suddenly took us both into a spin and I was unable to stop us. We both ended up being thrown to the floor. Fortunately the pupil was unhurt but I fractured my hip and required a total hip replacement. I gave been suffering pain and discomfort since the accident, and have been unable to work since. My sick pay has now stopped meaning that I have lost potential earnings.
I feel that the management of the school are not to blame, but I also feel I was not to blame for the accident. I was carrying out my duties appropriately. I wonder if I have a case to claim compensation at least for pain and suffering, lost salary and expenses related to my injury.
I would welcome your comments.
Thank you.

Ian Morris

The situation you describe is very unusual and it is hard to say whether or not you could make a claim for compensation in this case. However, given the severity of your injury and the damage that has been caused to you and your earning loss, we think it would be worthwhile speaking with us so that we could obtain some further information about the incident. We could then seek a qualified view for you as to whether or not you can make a claim by presenting the information to one of our specialist accident at work Solicitors.


I slipped and fell in a restaurant, got a left fractured hip and pelvis. After a week and surgery with rods and screws was sent to rehab for 2 months. Then confined to a wheelchair. After 2 months came home last Friday, have a walker, therapy, home health. I can’t drive yet. I did not go back to the place b/c I was in a nursing home and did not file accident reports. I am 76 years old and also am in treatment for cancer. I believe the way they had their steps not lighted with no sign watch your step or step up caused this. I have a long recovery ahead.

Ian Morris

You may well have a valid claim for slipping accident compensation is you slipped on a hazard that was left on the floor – for example, a wet patch, spilled liquid or dropped food – that was not marked with a hazard warning sign.

Regarding your mobility and ability to access our Solicitors, don’t worry. We can visit anyone anywhere within the UK and our Solicitors will travel to see any claimant that requires a face to face meeting.


I am a plumber and I have injured my hip. I have been seeing a chiropractor and he gave me a Doctors note saying that I can’t lift anymore then 25kgs in weight. However, in the plumbing role, nearly every item I have to lift weighs more than 25kgs. My employer has practically forced me to be on call because they have no other staff available to provide cover for me. As a result, I have just injured my hip even more. The hip has given way and I practically tripped down the stairs because of this when the garbage disposal box ripped and i’d had to step over it wit all my weight forced on to my bad leg. I had my hands being full and couldn’t protect myself and I don’t know what to do.

Ian Morris

You have put your employer on notice about an injury and provided medical evidence (Doctors Note) on this issue. If your employer has failed to provide you with adequate training and the right equipment to be able to work safely you may well be able to pursue a successful claim against the employer on the grounds of employer negligence.

In the UK, the Health and Safety at Work act provides employers with a safety net that obliges employers to ensure that adequate training is provided, particularly with regards to manual handling and safe lifting and if they are tasking you with picking up and moving items that exceed 25kgs in weight, it may be possible to demonstrate that they have been negligent towards your safety at work.

In order to protect your rights, you should make sure that your employer has a record of your injury being made worse by the fall down the stairs and the ongoing requirement for you to lift heavy items. You should also note the broken garbage disposal as an issue too.


I was at work and my foot caught on phone wire under till causing me to fall and break my hip, had to have surgery the same day to pin it back on. I was off work for 5 months, still attending hospital for X-rays for up to 2 years as still a chance the bone could crumble and would need hip relpaced. Where do I start with claiming compensation it’s all so confusing?

Ian Morris

I appreciate your distress here and I understand that the process of claiming compensation against an employer can seem scary and confusing. Don’t worry though, we are here to help and your situation is exactly why the right to claim compensation after a nasty accident is an important legal right that we must protect.

Your injury is clearly very serious and will undoubtedly have some permanent implications for you. My initial view is that the phone wire was a hazard that should not have been present and that in allowing such a tripping hazard to be in situ is a breach of your employers obligations towards your health and safety whilst at work.



A man fell on me in A door way of A well known superstore, he was partially blind with no white stick. Can I take said superstore to court? I now have two metal screws in my hip and attending physiotherapy.

Ian Morris

Unfortunately, on the basis of what you describe, I cannot see how you would be able to successfully hold the store liable if you attempted to pursue court action.

Whilst you have undoubtedly sustained a serious injury with long term consequences, it is very hard to see how the store would be responsible for this gentleman falling on you. They are not responsible for his actions or for his failure to use a white stick.

The only way that you may have a claim would be if this man was caused to fall because of a hazard on the floor or a tripping hazard located in the doorway of the store.


I had an accident at work in 2015 and suffered a broken hip as a result. This caused me to have to have an operation, with a pin inserted in to the hip. I am still seeing my Consultant and having treatment. I am in pain and struggling to walk. Do I have a claim? Thank you. Yvonne

Ian Morris

o succeed with a claim for accident at work compensation, we would need to be able to identify and highlight negligence on the part of your employer or another body who would be responsible for the situation in which you find yourself. In most cases, a successful accident at work compensation claim will show employer negligence such as a lack of training, insufficient support, incorrect equipment or a dangerous working environment, such as from a spillage or known hazard.

We would certainly like to help you with this and need to speak to you further.

Chat with us for friendly, expert advice 01225 430285