Foot Injury Compensation Claims & Settlement Values

33 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Hundreds of thousands of people attend hospital with a foot injury each year, with almost half of those having to take time off work as a result.

Any person who injures their foot in an accident at work as a result of employer negligence can seek to make a claim for compensation. Furthermore, anyone else who suffers a foot injury as a result of a non-fault accident in a public place also has the right to make a claim.

Table of contents:

Common types of foot injury that can be claimed for

Broken bones, fractures and soft-tissue damage are all commonly associated with foot injury compensation claims. They are often caused by slips and trips, falls from height, or if an object is dropped on the foot.

Frequently the injuries include fractured talus bone (heel fracture), ankle bone fractures, metatarsal fractures and fractures to the toe bones. Surgery can be required to implant metal work to aid the recovery or fusion of the bones. In such cases, the foot injury will be permanent and lead to ongoing discomfort and restricted mobility.

In other serious cases, a foot injury can include damage to the soft tissues – ligaments and tendons – within the foot. This can lead to longer term issues affecting mobility, strength and deformity.

With very severe injuries, amputation of the foot may have occurred or be surgically required.

Compensation amounts

The value of a foot injury compensation settlement will vary depending on its severity. The amounts below are for the injury itself, but you can also claim for special damages which would include your expenses and rehabilitation therapies, for example.

The largest settlement amounts are reserved for amputation, where the loss of an ankle joint has obvious implications for mobility and quality of life. The amputation of one foot falls in a bracket of around £65,000 to £85,000. While the loss of both feet attracts double this value.

Very severe foot injuries would include those which produce permanent and severe pain, or really serious permanent disability. For example, amputation of the forefoot or loss of use of the heel. Compensation amounts here are again in the £65,000 to £90,000 bracket.

Fractures to both heels or feet (or an unusually severe injury to one foot) with a substantial restriction on mobility or considerable and permanent pain can see settlement values of between £30,000 and £60,000.

Those which are less severe but lead to continuing pain and prolonged treatment, with the risk of arthritis, fall between around £20,000 and £30,000.

Foot injuries such as a displaced metatarsal fracture, which can result in permanent deformity and ongoing symptoms, have a value of between £10,000 and £20,000.

Simple metatarsal fractures, ruptured ligaments, puncture wounds and other minor injuries fall into a range of between £5,000 and £10,000 depending on continuing symptoms and treatment.

Workplace foot injuries

Workers at risk of foot injury should be trained to work safely and provided with adequate personal protective equipment, such as steel-toe-capped boots to minimise the risk of fractures to the feet.

Those who are required to stand for lengthy periods of time, or wear prescribed footwear, are at risk of suffering foot health conditions such as bursitis, tarsal tunnel syndrome (which affects the nerve behind the inner ankle bone) and other conditions.

If employers fail to adequately train staff and do all they can to minimise the risk of a foot injury, they could face a claim for compensation.

How Direct2Compensation can help you claim

Our expert staff know your rights after an accident at work, or a trip or slip in a public place, and can quickly identify whether the cause of your foot injury is something that could lead to a successful claim for compensation.
We will link you with one of our specialist solicitors who will ensure that your rights are enforced and that any compensation due to you is obtained at the maximum value.

Our no win no fee claims process is easy to understand and will give you the confidence you need to pursue your claim.

We know that you may have concerns about making a claim, especially for an accident at work. With that in mind, we’re here to answer any queries you may have, and let you know whether or not your claim is viable and worth pursuing.

Simply call our offices on 01225 430285 or we can call you back.

33 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Lee

    Hi . My mum has recently broke her heel bone by coming down a ladder at work and missing the last few runs . She has fallen back and all her weight laneded on her left heel . It s this her fault ? And can she claim anything?

    • Ian Morris

      If your Mother is required to use ladders as part of her work, her employer will have a duty of care to ensure that appropriate training in the safe use of ladders has been provided.

      If the employer has not issued any such training, your Mother can pursue a claim against them for compensation. Also, if the ladder was in any way faulty or inadequate, she could make a claim and we can help with this via the ‘start your claim for compensation‘ page of our website.

  2. Nicola

    My husband walked of a kerb to step down, and there was a pot hole. He went over on his foot. He had to visit A&E and has damaged ligaments in his foot, he gas been given crutches. He can’t drive or go to work. We will also have to cancel a trip next week now.

    My husband has his own business, we are not sure if his public liability insurance would help in any way, as he will not get sick pay.

    Cam we make a compensation claim through the council?


    • Ian Morris

      You can contact the local authority directly and enter in to a claim with them, or you can seek the services of a specialist personal injury Solicitor to represent you on a No Win No Fee basis. Unsurprisingly, we would recommend that you instruct a specialist Solicitor to act as that will ensure that your legal rights are upheld and that the council in question cannot wriggle out of liability unless they can mount and evidence a robust defence.

      If you would like our Solicitors to look in to this matter for you, the first thing we’ll need is photographs (with measurement of the depth) of the pothole. Take a look at: of examples of the kind of images we need. You can email such images to us with a contact number to; and we’ll then contact you to offer further help and start a No Win No Fee claim to recover compensation for the pain and distress of the injury and recover any loss of income and incurred costs.

  3. Neil

    I had to check Christmas trees in a warehouse but I know I was unable to go down one side as it was blocked and I couldn’t see if I could go around the back as bread trays blocked the view so I went between pallets and as I came back the same way I stepped on a pallet to cross over and ended up going to hospital in which they said I had twisted the ligaments in my foot

    • Ian Morris

      If your employer has allowed the working environment to become unsafe (including obstruction of walkways etc) and your injury can be attributed to that (as would appear to be the case), you can make a claim for accident at work compensation.

      Please call us on 01225430285 for further help. Alternatively, start your claim for compensation by using this form.

  4. Simon

    Hi there, I wonder if you could help with my question. I fell from a ladder and completely broke my heel bone. I have an insurance policy that covers me for accidental injury, this policy covers me for both minor and major bones. The insurance company has awarded me but they have classed this as a minor bone which is five times less money. This seems odd to me as I’ve been told by the doctor that I can’t put any weight at all on my heel for six weeks and it will take two to three months to fully recover. I am a self employed painter and decorator/ handyman and can’t earn any money until I’m better, so the £300 that they are offering me won’t go very far.
    Am I right in thinking that this injury should be classed as a major bone?

    • Ian Morris

      It is likely to be the case that it will come down to what the insurer decides is a major or minor bone. Our view would be that smashing your heel is a major injury. Whilst the individual bone that is broken could be seen as a ‘minor’ bone, the impact of a fractured heel is a serious matter. It may be worth appealing the insurers decision and asking your GP or consultant to provide a detailed letter outlining the severity of the injury.

  5. Layla

    I was pulling a full roll cage in a warehouse (I am always asked to do this by a superior when I am not sure it is part of my job role) and it went over my foot, I was seen to by a first aider and attended a&e for an x ray, nothing broken just sprained and loss of 2 nails. I’ve had to take a week off of work as I am unable to walk or put on a shoe without pain. I am not required to wear protective shoes just full in black shoes. Can you advise me in whether I would be able to make a claim? Thanks

    • Ian Morris

      We would like to speak with you to find out more about the accident you had so that we can consider whether or not you would be able to make a claim against your employer for the injury to your foot. If we can establish negligence against the employer – a fault with the cage, a lack of training or some other issue that caused the cage to roll over your foot, you would have a valid claim.

  6. scot

    A car reversed over my right foot. I had a xray, I didn’t break any bones, it was just extremely swollen and bruised. Am I entitled to compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      Do you have the details of the car that drove over your foot? If not, was the incident reported to the Police? If you can answer yes to either or these questions, then it is possible to look further in to claiming compensation for the injury to your foot.

  7. Toni

    Hello. I’m wondering if you could help me with a question I need answering and point me in the right direction on where to go from here?
    I fell down the stairs last year with my daughter. I went straight to my local A&E department as my foot instantly blew up like a balloon and was serverly bruised and I was in a lot pain. After an x-ray, the doctors told me if was not broken, just badly bruised and put my foot in a cast. I had the cast on for around 2 weeks then took it off as it was only a temporary one. The bruising and swelling went down but ever since then, my foot has been hurting everyday.
    I also have a bruise on it that never goes away and when I touch the bruised area. It has a bubble in it and is also very tingly and numb.
    Sometimes the bruise gets bigger then goes back down to how it is everyday. My foot causes me pain everyday, especially after I have been stood on it for a while which is unavoidable due to my job.
    I honestly think there is something not right with it and feel like I’ve been let down by my local hospital.
    Any advice ve would be very appreciated.
    Thank you

    • Ian Morris

      You should seek further medical intervention and speak with your GP regarding the ongoing symptoms you are suffering with. If your GP refers you for further treatment and any negligence is found in the initial treatment of the injury, you should then make contact with a clinical negligence compensation specialist to start a claim.

  8. Lonnie

    I was injured on my job 7 years ago, a guy came in off break without any supervision or permission ran into a beam and it landed on my feet. We wasn’t qualified or to run equipment, wasn’t aware of the work hazards and danger. I’ve been fired from a couple jobs because my feet have swollen up and hurt. I can barely walk, I can’t wear shoes at all. Wasn’t my fault at all, I feel like I’m handicapped because I cant drive long nor walk too long with out severe and chronic pain. I lay and cry some night cuz I have real sharp pains.

    • Ian Morris

      As 7 years has passed since you were injured, UK law will not allow you to make a claim for compensation for the injuries you suffered and any losses sustained as a result.

  9. Enrico

    Good morning my name is Enrico and today i have had a foot injury at work , a fort lift has run over my foot and after i went to the hospital they told me i had fractured 2 of my toes, at the time of the injury i wasn’t wearing safety boots , am i going to get compensation , if yes how much ?

    • Ian Morris

      You mention that you were not wearing safety boots. Was this because you had not been trained or advised that you would need them or because you chose not to wear them?

      If you had not been trained or required to wear the safety boots, you should consider pursuing a claim. If you should have worn boots and knew that you should but chose not to wear them, you may still have a claim but would probably have to accept contributory negligence.

      • Enrico

        so you will think i should at least try get my claim ?

  10. William

    Problem with feet in work, refused fatigue matting, became worse developed into fibroma growths. Unable to wear safety footwear consequently lost job. Several members of management were asked for matting but refused on cost grounds, do I have a case for neglect in the work place? I have now had to have surgery on my feet.

    • Ian Morris

      This is an unusual situation and you may have grounds for a claim. However, there could be issues regarding proving the causal link between your work, the lack of matting and the foot problem.

  11. Anna

    Hi, I’ve broke my foot a week ago at work as my manager tried to lift a keg and it landed on my foot. I’ve given my sick note yesterday but I have been asked by my manager if I left the house during the time I’ve been off. Can I get in trouble if I did?

    • Ian Morris

      Whether or not you leave the house whilst you are signed off work by a GP is irrelevant to your employer. In your case, your GP has taken the view that on the basis of injury recovery, you should not be at work for a week. That does not mean that you must spend a week confined within your own home. You are simply supposed to be resting – that does not mean that you cannot go to the shops, watch a movie or even go for a meal or drink.

      You would appear to have a valid claim for workplace injury compensation after the damage done to your foot when your manager dropped the keg on to you. You may wish to pursue a claim if you do not get paid for the period of time that you are unable to work as one of the benefits of claiming compensation after suffering an injury is that alongside a financial settlement for your injury, you can also recover any lost income and incurred expenses too. To start your claim, please call us on 01225430285 or use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website.

  12. Sarah

    Hi, I worked at a catering business for a good 8 months and was seriously overworked. We were constantly understaffed and were made to work 7 day weeks (even though contract said may work weekends). I never got given the safety boots I requested, I wasn’t shown where the accident book is or how to us it, our health and safety and manual handling was all done via computer not physically…

    Every time we were feeling sick we were made to feel guilty and almost forced to come in. The job involved being on my feet all the time but as we were understaffed we were always rushing.

    The week before I left (had to move back home as stepdad was terminally ill) the doctors gave me a sick note as my feet were hurting a lot and I found it super hard to walk on them- he said the fact I was on my feet consistently I haven’t been able to get the chance to rest them and it’s caused by stress. When handing my sick note to my boss he said ‘oh so your not coming in then?’…what do you think?

    Since leaving my Injury is still there and it’s affecting me a lot. After a doc’s appointment today they said I have ‘plantar fasciitis ‘ and I’m not allowed to work for another 4 weeks! In total that’s 5 weeks of no work and loss of potential earnings.

    This is really bad as my money is running short and I’m meant to be financially helping my mum as my stepdad has now passed away. The injury is affecting me daily and it’s hard to ordinary things like get up from my bed or walk to the shops, I can’t even complete one 8 hour shift!!

    Is there a possibility I could claim compensation?

    • Ian Morris

      There is a potential to claim compensation, but the issue you will face is proving that the condition that is causing you the severe pain (plantar fascitis) was caused by the previous employer and negligence on their part.

      We would be happy to present a claim enquiry on this matter to our specialist Solicitors in order that they can discuss this matter with your and review whether or not sufficient evidence is likely to be available to support your claim. This would enable them to make an informed judgement as to whether or not your situation is something that would meet the criteria needed to pursue a claim.

  13. Wendy

    I work for a supermarket. Whilst at work, a customer hit the back of my foot with their shopping trolley. A few days later, the injury to my foot was infected and I ended up in hospital. I had to have surgery and almost had to have my foot amputated due to this. I had to return to work before earlier than the Hospital recommended as I was told that I had no more sick pay left which turned out to be untrue. Can I claim for my injury from my company?

    • Ian Morris

      Although your employer was not directly responsible for the accident and injury to your foot (as the trolley was being used by a customer), you could still seek to make a claim against your employer.

      It could be that the trolley in question had a dangerously sharp piece of metal that ought not to have been present, in which case you could succeed with a claim. Also, a question to ask is whether the employer has advised the staff members about appropriate footwear that would minimise the risk of this incident being repeated.

      My initial view is that it is not 100% clear if you have a claim, but I do think that it should be further investigated by our expert Soliciors.

  14. Kim Corley

    I broke my foot 2x at work. I worked at a convenience store/pizza parlour. I wore flip flops during warm days, even going barefoot at times. My manager and boss/owner never said I couldn’t. Anyways, I was cleaning up in the back one day and stepped on a metal rod (u put chips, sunflower seeds etc on it for display) that goes on pegboard. I immediately went up front n sat down at the table n called over my manager cuz the pain I felt was almost unbearable. The skin wasn’t broken but there was a round mark from the metal rod and the bottom of my foot was starting to bruise. I let it go for a day or so went to doctor at 2 different times, they misdiagnosed my broken foot for cellulitis. 3rd er visit, also different hospital, showed I had broken my foot (the bone that holds ur body weight) in 3 different places. And was given a knee walker crutches n boot. Went from boot to a medical shoe for almost 8 weeks. I was off work (Drs order) for 9 days. Without pay. I had insurance at the time, and yes I told er, Drs, and specialist it happened at work. I returned back to work 9 days later and broke the bone next to previously broken one while walking out to deliver a pizza. It stopped me in my tracks and right in from of my boss the owner. I thought my foot just popped but it started swelling. Break #2. I worked with 2 broken bones in my foot and finally was scheduling surgery cuz foot has to be reconstructed with rods. And my insurance cancels me. Not due to this injury. However it’s been almost a year since break, I’ve hired a lawyer, (if u want to call him that) and he says I’m only going to get $12,000. And of course he gets 20%. Surgery alone might cover the $10,000 I get but there’s hospital stay, anaesthesiologist medication out, so therapy plus I haven’t been able to work since last March. My old boss keeps calling me asking me for a number cuz he didn’t have workers comp insurance at time of injuries. Is the $12000 a fair amount or should I deny it or even get a different attorney?

    • Ian Morris

      It is not possible for us to advise you accurately as your accident and claim is not within the UK legal system.

      If you are not happy with the legal service you are receiving you should look in to whether or not you are able to switch to a new specialist legal service provider and make a complaint to your current Solicitor to ensure that you are receiving the right specialist advice.

  15. Angela Poxon

    I recently had an accident at work when a full roll cage during a delivery I was moving ran over my foot and resulted in a fractured toe. They put on the accident form that it was misuse of the manual handling procedure. Afterwards I realised that the only training I have received was during the generic legal training via a video 3 years ago and had not been signed off on my store specific training. I also feel that I was not provided with safety shoes that they state should be worn when in receipt of a delivery. They cannot provide me with cctv of the accident as I am presuming the camera wasn’t switched on at the time. Do I have a case?

    • Ian Morris

      Your employer has ticked some important boxes by way of giving you manual handling training at the outset of your employment with them. However, the provision of that training in and of itself would not absolve them of responsibility for the injuries you have sustained if it can be shown that they have been negligent towards you during your ongoing employment with tham.

      Given what you have said about your employer failing to either provide you with or require you to provide specific footwear (personal protective equipment) in the workplace and the lack of specific training relevant to your work with them, we feel that it is worthwhile us investigating this matter further for you. It could well be that our specialist accident at work Solicitors will be able to identify area of employer negligence in this case. If so, we would help you to make a No Win No Fee claim for accident at work compensation. Whilst your employer is likely to use the initial training provision as a defence in this case, simply providing a generic training video at the outset of your employment is unlikely to be sufficient defence. Much will depend on the nature of the working environment in which you are carrying out your duties and whether that environment and the demands placed on you by your Supervisors prevents you from working safely.

  16. Theresa

    Good day
    I had an accident at work when I moved a heavy table. It was around 6 months ago. The table slipped out of my hand and landed on my foot, causing me injury.

    I went to the Doctor the day after the accident where x-rays were taken and I was then signed off work for one week because of the injury. My employer did not fill in an accident book.

    My foot injury is now causing me considerable pain and discomfort and as I work in retail, I am on my feet all day.

    Please can you tell me what I must do.

    • Ian Morris

      If your employer has failed to provide you with manual handling training so that you know how to lift and move items safely, or failed to provide you with gloves or other suitable lifting equipment, you may well be able to hold them liable for the injuries you have sustained.

      As they have not made a record in an accident book, you should put the details of the incident and injury in writing and send it to the HR department with a formal request that they note the details of your accident at work.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.