Burn injuries at work – see if you can claim compensation and how much

87 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

You are entitled to claim compensation if you have been burnt at work in an accident that wasn’t your fault. We work on a no win no fee basis, meaning there’s no financial cost to you if you don’t win your claim.

Table of contents

Burns can be very serious injuries, with ongoing and often permanent consequences such as scarring and psychological trauma. The injured party can also lose income if left unable to work for a period of time. Making a compensation claim can go a long way to helping you through a difficult time.

Compensation will be awarded if it can be proven that the employer has been negligent and failed to comply with their statutory duties. Workers are legally entitled to a safe and secure environment. They must be trained properly and made aware of their obligations to work safely.

The different types of burn injury

In medical terminology, burns are classified depending on deep they penetrate the skin:

  • First degree burns damage the top layer of skin only (the epidermis). They will be red and blotchy, but not blistered, and pain should soon subside.
  • Second degree burns also damage the second layer of skin (the dermis). The injury will turn red and blister.
  • Third degree burns are the most serious and reach the third, final layer of skin (the hypodermis). They take a long time to heal and cause permanent scarring, possibly requiring skin grafts.

Levels of compensation vary according to the severity of a burn and its long-term impact on the claimant’s life. Therefore, one of the first steps in making a claim is to get a medical assessment of the injury. We can arrange this for you at no cost.

Why claim compensation?

Claiming personal injury compensation can help ease some of the problems you’ll experience after being burnt, and help in a number of ways:

  • It’s your legal right, and fairly compensates you for injuries that were not your fault.
  • It can pay for private medical treatment and rehabilitation therapies to speed your recovery.
  • If you are prevented from working again it can make up for lost income now and in the future.

There is no financial cost to make a claim – you will never be charged if it does not succeed. A successful claim will lead to a compensation settlement being made to you, with the value of the claim including any lost income and incurred costs as well as a settlement for the injuries and medical treatment that you have sustained.

Your solicitor will also look to help you to recover more quickly by obtaining rehabilitation therapy at the expense of the 3rd party (your employer’s insurers). This could also include private specialist treatments to reduce the appearance of a scar, or help with health issues caused by damage to the skin. Further information on this will be available from your solicitor once your claim has been started, you can also check out our article, “Claiming compensation for burn injuries”.

When you can claim

Usually a claim has to be made within three years of the accident, unless the injured party was under 18. In the majority of cases, claims succeed if employer negligence can be proved and the accident was not your fault. Employers must ensure:

  • That staff are adequately qualified to use any tools or machinery that they are asked to use.
  • The tools and machinery that staff are tasked with using are fit for purpose, by way of regular servicing and repair of the same.
  • That any tools or machinery that are faulty are removed from use and only returned to active service once fully repaired.
  • That any noxious or dangerous chemicals are handled in compliance with the ‘Controls of Substances Hazardous to Health’ (COSSH) guidelines, and that chemicals are stored and controlled accordingly.

Burn injuries may be caused by fire, chemicals, electricity, contact with hot substances or exposure to radiation. Any person is entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation if they suffer a burn in these or similar circumstances.

How much you can claim for a burn injury

All claims are comprised of general and special damages. General damages apply to the injury itself and the suffering you experience. This will usually depend on the severity, or classification (first, second or third degree), of your burn. Special damages cover the financial costs you incur as a result of the injury. This would include medical fees, ongoing care, travel expenses and loss of income.

The total amount varies from case to case, but there are guidelines issued to solicitors by the courts. A first degree facial burn could have a value of up to £6,000, for example. Whereas a more severe, third degree facial burn could be more than ten times as much. The table below shows amounts for facial disfigurement, obviously burns to other, less visible parts of the body can attract lesser amounts.

Severity of injuryCompensation amount
Very severe scarring, with permanent disfigurement and psychological effects£22,625 - £81,400
Less severe scarring, where disfigurement is still substantial with a significant psychological reaction£13,650 - £40,480
Significant scarring which remains visible at conversational distances£6,925 - £25,160
Less significant scarring which remains visible on close inspection£3,000 - £11,500
Trivial scarring where the effect is minor£1,300 - £2,940

How Direct2Compensation can help with your claim

Direct2Compensation are experts in managing claims for injuries caused in accidents at work. We know your rights and can help you to understand whether the specifics of your accident mean you can hold your employer liable.

It is important to make sure that the details of your workplace accident have been recorded properly within an employer’s accident book and that medical attention is sought for any burns you sustained. If you haven’t done this already, we can help you to do so.

Direct2Compensation work with some of the best expert accident at work solicitors in the UK. With our easy to understand claims process and ability to handle your claim quickly, simply and transparently, there are many reasons that make us the right choice when it comes to starting your claim for injury compensation.

If you have suffered a burn injury at work and want to know if you can make a claim for compensation, contact us today. You can start your claim online or request a call back, and one of our expert team will be in touch to offer help. Alternatively, call us on 01225 430285.

87 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Arun

    I am an International student studying in UClan University. I am legally working on NI in one restaurant which is near to my University, at my workplace my hand got burnt so badly It was terrible and I was traumatised myself and could’t find any help from my employer, at last I asked him for sick leave and he couldn’t even approve it, I am very much distressed and suffering with pain and burning. 
    I would like to request your help in getting me compensation for the incident that happened to me.
    Thank you.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    • Ian Morris

      Our Solicitors are happy to consider your accident at work and will advise you on your options to pursue a claim for personal injury compensation.

  2. Elizabeth

    My daughter works in a care home. When she was on duty on Boxing Day(26/12/20) she was scalded on her left hand and foot by boiling water. This happened due to a member of staff not securing the lid of the container, holding the boiling water. Her hand is now purple and has a blister on it and two blisters are present on her left foot. Could you please advise if she would be eligible to claim compensation?111 was phoned on the day it happened. An accident form has been completed and she has photos of the areas which were burnt.

    • Ian Morris

      A claim would be valid in the scenario you describe. Please go to our ‘start your claim for compensation‘ form or call us on 01225430285 to get further help and advice.

  3. Anthony

    I was working a night shift last night, I am a waste operative and I just started 2 weeks ago. Last night I was told to go into a clave (steams waste in metal bins) they go up to 140 degrees Celsius and when I went in to collect the bins boiling hot water dripped onto my face just near my right eye, so I narrowly avoided that one but it’s left me with a 2nd degree burn on my face. When I told my team leader (highest ranked member of staff who was on site), he just laughed at me and said “it happens to everyone” – I was baffled!

    At the end of the shift a supervisor (who also happens to be the managers son) pulled me up in front of everyone and said that if I don’t go in the clave again, I’ll lose my job. So I showed him the burn, only for him to reply “so, you should know how to do it right”. I then told him that I’ve never been shown how to do it. So I have had no training on it and no PPE for entering that death trap, I was not offered any first aid and for about 3 hours I was refused the accident book. I also have photographed evidence of burn and accident report.

    • Ian Morris

      Well done for photographing the burn injury and accident report. This useful evidence protects your interests and rights going forwards should you opt to pursue a claim for compensation against the employers insurance cover. It would seem that your employer has a lackadaisical approach to workplace safety and their failure to provide you with appropriate training or PPE indicates employer negligence. As such, although you are only a couple of weeks in to this new job, you have a valid right to make a claim for compensation against the employer and you should ignore the comments of the shift supervisor as they are unhelpful, misleading and quite frankly do not comply with employment law let alone Health and Safety law. Many people wrongly worry about being sacked after an accident at work if they make a claim. In law, you are legally entitled to pursue a claim if the employers negligence can be attributed to injuries sustained at work.

      If you would like to pursue this further, whether you want an informal chat at first or to commence a claim, please email the photographs of your burn injury and the accident book entry to us at justice@direct2compensation.co.uk (also provide a contact number) so that we can review them and then discuss this matter with you in more detail and answer any queries you may have.

  4. Maxine

    I burnt/scalded my arm at work whilst getting food out of the steamer. I had my arm under water for 20 mins and then went to the walk in centre and had it dressed by a Nurse. I Went back the next day to have the dressing changed and had a monster of a blister. They said if it popped I was to go to A&E. It popped on the Sunday so I went to A&E who cut all the blistered skin away and redressed it. This was recorded in the work accident book and when I went back we were told we were having training on how to remove trays from the steamer. All kinds of people came in filling in paperwork, so I think it was recorded with health and safety reps also. I do have photos of my arm .

    • Ian Morris

      Not only are burn injuries painful and sore at the time of the injury, they can remain sore and problematic for a considerable time and may well leave scarring. As such, compensation settlements for burn or scalding injuries can be substantial.

      In this case, it would seem that the employer has realised that they need to provide more training for staff using the steamers in order that employees can work safely. Whilst this is a good move by the employer, it has come too late in your case and this indicates that you would be likely to succeed with a claim against the employers insurance for the injury you have sustained as it may have been avoidable if the employer had provided the appropriate training at an earlier date.

      We would be more than happy to help you make your claim. Please call us on 01225430285. Alternatively, if you would rather we called you to start your claim, let us know and we’ll contact you.

  5. Wesley royle

    Good afternnon, I burned my self a couple of months ago at work on a petrol strimmer the engine guard was damaged so engine was showing and not covered it’s left a nice scar on my arm at the time I was worried about trying to collect compensation incase I lost my job now I took a few days off with it thinking they would maybe still pay me but no theyve terminated my employment for now for reason so I think it’s only in my right to claim back what I’m owed they had no first aid to treat it with the guy on the yard literally wrapped it in a bag off the floor highly unhygienic

    • Ian Morris

      Please contact us to make your claim for compensation. This is certainly a matter we can help you with. You can call us on 01225430285 or use our online claim start service to get further help.

  6. Doooo

    I burnt my hand with boiling water at work. I work in a college the starbucks unit. I poured the boiling water to make a cup of tea for a customer. But the lid wasnt on properly the lids didnt seem to fit the cup so when i lifted the cup the lid popped off and poured down my hand.. i run it under cold water informed my manager and asked to put in accident book..which wasnt done. I asked for the first aid kit there wasnt an updated one. I went to the chemist to ask advise abd brought some cream on their advise. It has blistered and now they have popped i think it will scar my hand.

    • Ian Morris

      If your accident was recorded in the employers accident book/accident reporting system you have a right to make a claim. If you would like to find out more about a potential claim, please call us on 01225430285 or you can start your claim on our website.

  7. Alex

    I burned myself using a instant boiled water tap that is always spitting out boiling water everywhere and Left a big red mark going across my hand of which I have images, I’m an apprentice but have received no training in health and safety whatsoever, I don’t even know where the fire exists are, would something like this warrant a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      Make sure that your injury is recorded with the employer in writing – ideally in an accident book, but if not, email your Managers to report what happened stating where and when you were injured.

      If you would like to take this further, please use our start a claim service and we’ll then be able to get you some specialist advice and potentially pursue a No Win No Fee claim for you.

  8. Laura

    I burnt myself on a chute at work (chute is where we pushed burgers and chicken between the hot hold to front counter to pack orders) I burnt myself once and told the store manager it was too hot then 3 months later burnt myself badly no accident report was done and no first aid given could I claim anything?

    • Ian Morris

      There is certainly a claim to be investigated in this scenario. You appear to have warned the employer of a risk of injury and they have not acted upon that. Therefore, it may be possible to hold the employer liable for employer negligence should you pursue a claim.

      We would be happy to further consider this matter for you and investigate a potential claim. Please call us on 01225430285 or use our website to start the claims process.

  9. Caprice

    I burned my arm in January at work on a fry station. The handle on the fry basket had broke on one side and slipped so I had the hot basket and oil burn my arm. It looks like a second degree burn to me and I am still scared now. I was working on my own under a lot of pressure to get fries cooked as it was a busy day so my manager wouldnt even look at it or help me. It wasnt recorded in an accident book and I couldnt put it under cold water so it blistered and now I am still scared. It has effected my confidence as I model for a hobby and now the scar can been seen in all of my photos and photographers do not want to work with me. Could I make a claim? And would my employer need to know?

    • Ian Morris

      You can certainly make a claim as the cause of the injury was not your fault. Any claim would be against the employers insurance and not the business directly. Of course, if a claim is made, someone within the business would know but they would not be able to discuss with you directly and UK law protects you from discrimination should you pursue a claim against your employer.

      • Caprice

        Amazing! Also would I need any kind of evidence of proof for this?

        • Ian Morris

          Do you have photographs of the burn injuries? Any copies of text messages or emails between you and the employer? Also, your medical records should state that you had treatment for burn injuries.

  10. Pippa

    I burned my hand whilst making food at work, somehow the sauce splashed across the back of my hand.
    I have been fully trained, but now I have a scar across the back of my hand, and I don’t feel very comfortable about it.
    When I went to the GP, I had 3 appointments to get it cleaned and dressed as they thought it could be infected and I would possibly need plastic surgery. I don’t want to get into trouble or lose my job, but its about self-confidence. Not sure what I could do?

    • Ian Morris

      You mention having been fully trained by the employer, so there would appear to be no claim against the employer on that issue. However, you may still have a valid right to make a claim against their insurance if the injury can be attributed – in anyway – to negligence, whether that be on the part of the employer or a colleague.

      Do you know what caused the hot sauce to splash on to you?

  11. Joseph

    I burnt my legs in chip fat when emptying a fryer while wearing shorts in the kitchen while cheffing. Went hospital around 2.5 years ago. Not much scaring but very minor ones.
    However the company has been closed since then and declared bankruptcy
    Anything I can do

    • Ian Morris

      It can be possible to pursue a claim against a now closed employer, but it will depend on whether the employer had insurance in place at the time of the accident. Do you know how long after the accident the business closed? If it was over a year later, it is likely that the insurance in place at the time of your accident had been paid in full and could therefore still be pursued.

      • Joseph

        Thank you.
        Around 6 months after the injury they decided to close. Another one would be would the person who owned the company know there is a claim as the company is now shut?

        • Ian Morris

          The former company owner would have no idea if any claim were made.

  12. dannelle

    is it right to claim if i burned while making tea at work?

    • Ian Morris

      If your burns could have been avoided – perhaps by better training, or if the equipment was faulty you can make a claim. Essentially, if you can attribute part of all of the responsibility of the burn injury to another party such as an employer, you can pursue a claim.

  13. Jessica

    I am a caterer on a ward and i was probing food at work using the right equipment and ppe and when placing a lid back onto something the tub slipped and my hand went into boiling hot soup that splashed all over me and onto my arm that is covered by my oven gloves. I took my gloves off ASAP and my arm had all burnt, I ran it under cold water and within 10 minutes it had blisters in 3 places.
    This was through the oven gloves provided by my employer. I reported it my supervisor and was sent to a and e. It was treated and dressed. I was sent home due to un able to work on wards with dressing on and they are refusing to pay me for the afternoon they sent me home for. Even though this injury happened at work and through ppe provided. Is there anything I claim for?


    • Ian Morris

      This is certainly a matter we would like to investigate further for you. As the employer has provided the required PPE, it would appear that they have considered the risks posed in your work. However, as the item that caused your scalding injury ‘slipped’ there is a potential to succeed with a claim if it can be shown that the equipment you are using to move the hot items around is not fit for purpose.

      Please call our team on 01225430285 so that we can discuss this matter with you in more detail and submit a formal claim enquiry to our specialist Solicitors. Whilst it may be the case that your employers have a robust defence and you may not succeed, there is sufficient in this matter to warrant pursuit of a claim for compensation and as our No Win No Fee service protects you from the risk of facing costs if you don’t succeed, you can pursue a claim without worrying about the cost implications of doing so.

  14. josh

    i was working at work and the chef was pouring water into the sink (boiling water) and (you know there is holes in the pan to stop it from overflowing) it went onto my foot and through my shoes and socks and burnt 4 of my toes. My work has not provided the appropriate footwear as since i joined no one has said anything. i have missed events and opportunities due to this and i’ve only been to the pharmacy but it hurts really badly whenever i walk as i have to cover it up with a gauze when i go out.

    • Ian Morris

      If the incident and your scalding injuries has been recorded in an accident book at work, you could make a claim for compensation. The employers failure to provide you with the appropriate footwear could lead to a successful claim.

      • josh

        how much money would i be looking to get?

        • Ian Morris

          It is simply not possible to say what value a claim would have based on an initial description of an injury. If we were to assign a financial value to your claim at this point, we would be making a figure up and providing inaccurate and misleading information.

          The value of a claim is reached on the basis of medical evidence where available, or on the extent of the injuries, the length of time that they caused discomfort, whether there is any scarring and how the injuries have impacted on day-to-day activities such as work, social life and sporting interests.

          What we can say is that based on your initial comment a claim such as the one you mention should have no problem making the minimum quantum (claim value) of £1,000 which is the minimum value needed to be able to pursue a matter with a Solicitor on a No Win No Fee basis.

  15. Maria

    I was burnt at work with a chemical called one shot it is an acid it burnt through my trousers, sock and trainer,

    • Ian Morris

      In the UK, employers using chemicals and substances hazardous to health must ensure that the substances and chemicals are stored safely and handled correctly by way of the COSHH guidelines.

      The COSHH guidelines would require staff using such chemicals to have received training and for the employees to be provided with the correct personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, clothing and face masks.

      It would appear that your employer has failed to carry out their statutory obligations. As such, please call us on 01225432085 so that we can help you further investigate whether or not you can claim compensation for the chemical burns you have sustained.

  16. Keiren White

    I was putting food up for the people in the front and a guy pulled up a fryer right next to it and the grease burnt a big spot and a few smaller spots on my tricep, what should I do?

    • Ian Morris

      You should report the details of the injury in the work accident book to ensure that an appropriate record of the incident is made. If the burn was sufficiently serious you should of course seek medical attention and if so, you may have a right to make a claim for compensation. You can contact us to discuss this and seek our view as to whether or not you have a valid claim.

  17. Penny

    My workplace is awaiting it’s 6 monthly review. I am a cook in the cafe of this well known large supermarket. It doesn’t know when it will happen they will just turn up to do the audit. Every time i work the late shift 2-8.30pm i am late because i am rushing around trying to get everything clean and tidy date checked food wrapped appliances cleaned. On one day a Sunday I was working till 5pm with another cafe assistant. I was doing this and i was wiping the table next to the large fryer. A colleague had spilt beans everywhere so he was busy cleaning that up which made us behind. I was using blue kitchen roll paper as i always do. I didn’t realise the end of the roll was in the fryer. As i raised my arm the paper stuck to my face burning it. i did put my face under the tap. I put my burn lotion on it which did relieve it for a while. I carried on working till 5pm because the kitchen had to be clean incase the auditors came in, I finished work put it in the accident book and went home. I went to A & E where i was treated over 2 separate days. I now have a scar down my cheek. Can i claim?

    • Ian Morris

      The scenario you describe certainly warrants detailed and specialist consideration by our expert panel Solicitors. We feel that you should ask our team to make contact with you to further discuss your accident at work so that we can present your claim to our Solicitors as we feel that this is a matter that they would likely wish to pursue for you.

  18. James

    A pipe in work was leaking acid and the vapors burnt my face. The leak was recorded, but I didn’t report my face because I didn’t think it was that bad at first. However it got worse the next day. Could I still claim?

    • Ian Morris

      Yes, you could still pursue a claim against your employer. It is important that you make the employer aware that you were indeed injured by the leaking acid and you should seek medical attention regarding the burn injury in order to provide supporting evidence for any future claim.

  19. Cherille

    My son was badly burnt on his face while at work but it happened on 17th November 2013 is this to late to make a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      If your Son was over the age of 18 at the time of his injury, he is not able to make a claim at this stage as more than 3 years has passed since the date of the accident in which he was burned.

  20. Kieran

    I burnt myself in work on a ‘de carb’ machine. I am untrained on the machine but have used it multiple times. I was wearing the safety glove, but the water which is mixed with chemicals has managed to splash down my arm. The water sits at around 90 degrees and once I burnt myself I ran it under cold water and put burn gel and bandages around it.

    However, around an hour later, I was informed by my Manager that he wanted to take me to Hospital I didn’t refuse, nor did I agree and I said I feel fine. The details of this injury have not been put in the accident book as there isn’t one provided, nor is anyone first aid trained. I did eventually attend Hospital that night where the burn was sterilised and new dressings were applied.

    • Ian Morris

      Your description of the cause of your injury indicates employer negligence. UK law requires that all employers and employees adhere to the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act and follow safe working guidelines. As such, your employer should not have allowed you to operate the machine without having ensured that you had received the correct training and guidance to use it safely. As they did not, you may well succeed with a claim for compensation against your employer.

      If you would like to take this further and find out more about how we can help you, please call us on 01225430285.

  21. Mandy white

    I was trying to light the gas fryer at work, it wasn’t working and the manager had left and said she would be back soon. I couldn’t light it so I told her, she said try this try that, I still couldn’t so I got help from another member of staff – he moved some things around and asked me to light it, I tried to then the gas explosion happened. It left me with second degree burns to both arms, right hand, my left leg, minor burns to my face and singed my hair, and has had a major effect on my mental heath and well being, what am I entitled to? She said I’m not entitled to sick pay because I’m self employed but she has offered to pay me sick pay out of her money, should I make a compensation claim? Please help me.

    • Ian Morris

      You will not be entitled to sick pay if you are self-employed and your only real option is to make a claim for personal injury compensation. It would appear that the gas fryer you were working with was unsafe and it could be that the employer hasn’t had it maintained or serviced as she should do. The self-employed are still entitled to claim in this respect.

      We would be happy to help you make a claim for compensation and explain the process to you. Given the injuries you have to both arms, your hand, leg and the mental health aspect of this incident, claiming compensation will not only see you achieve a settlement (if you are successful) but will also enable you to access specialist rehabilitation therapies, which could greatly benefit your recovery.

  22. Tamzin

    Thank you. During work we have to line up to get toast for our guests while carrying trays full of teas/coffees/hot water. When I was in the line my colleague next to me burned himself on someone else’s tray causing him to jump making the tray unbalanced which then spilt all over me. I have one big second degree burn going down from my elbow to my wrist and another second degree burn on my hand. Do you think I can claim?

  23. Liza

    My friend recently had an accident at work where her colleague spilt a tray of boiling hot water over her is she entitled to help?

    • Ian Morris

      The details of the scalding injuries sustained by your friend in her accident at work should be recorded in the employer’s accident book to ensure that a proper record is retained and that evidence is available to support any future claim. We would be happy to assist your friend in claiming compensation for the injuries sustained.

  24. Tamzin

    Hello, my question is should I tell my manager I’ve put in a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      You do not have to inform your manager as it is a private matter. However, if you are on good terms with your manager you can advise them that you are claiming against the employers insurance for the injuries you have sustained.

  25. Patrick

    2 years ago I was involved in an accident which resulted into blistering burns on my toes and onto my foot, this is because after repeated asking for safety shoes to be provided I was simply told there was no money left in the budget for uniform. Because of this during my daily tasks within a kitchen environment I had to clean the floor I.e pour water out of a boiler on the floor then clean it. However upon doing so the water splashed back and went over the top of my shoes which were not safety shoes provided by the company. After being sent home for my injuries and have 1-2 days off work I submitted a accident report form. Subsequently the manager the purchased me safety shoes after my accident report had been submitted. I do have evidence of the invoice for the date of which they were purchased, however the manager at the time fraudulently filled the date in wrong on the sheet (apparently he bought them for me in 1970…) I also have pictures of the burns to my feet. Although effectively I was responsible for using boiling water on the floor it was one of my job roles to do so, but I would like to claim on the basis of manager negligence as he had not provided me the correct footwear.

    • Ian Morris

      This is certainly a claim that can be considered and looked in to further. The issue you cite regarding the date of the purchase of the safety shoes should not be an issue.

      We would like to know more about this so it would be wise for you to make further contact and discuss this possible claim with us. Please call us on 01225430285 or use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website to make an online enquiry.

  26. Gary

    What if manager train you the wrong way and you get hurt? Because she told me to pick up the Fried Chicken Basket, she said it was hot, got third-degree Burns, don’t know what to do next – workers compensation accepted my claim.

    • Ian Morris

      If you are injured in an accident at work because you have been given training that is incorrect and caused you to suffer injury, you can pursue a claim for compensation against the employer.

  27. Sally

    Hi I had an accident at work where I sustained burns and was off work for a while. Problem is the business is closing down now, can I still pursue a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      Yes, you can still pursue a claim and even if the business is already closed the possibility of claiming remains open to you. The employer would have insurance in place that would cover the period of time where you worked for the employer. Ideally, you should start your claim at the earliest opportunity.

  28. Caroline

    I work in a kitchen, on opening the steamer I took out the food and the water on top of the lid spilt all over my arm causing a severe burn. My employer is making me feel like I am fault, do I have a claim as I followed all the instructions, ran my arm under cold tap and did not realise how bad it was, but it has blistered half of my arm and is quite painful, I don’t know what to do.

    • Ian Morris

      It would be sensible to make further contact with us by using the start a claim page of our website. Our expert staff will discuss the accident with you and the nature of your work, what training you have received and identify whether or not the employer has been negligent in this matter. It could well be that you do have a valid claim for accident at work compensation and by talking with you, we’ll be able to identify whether or not that is the case.

  29. Anthony Milburn

    Hi there
    I burnt my toe whilst working from home for my employer. The burn is serious and i have been having treatment fir 3 months, but may need a skin graft.

    Whilst working from home the small office space I have was reduced due to building works to repair a leak. It was cold and I had a heater on, and in the cramped conditions i burnt my toe on the heater and being diabetic with Neuropathy to my feet, i didnt realise I was injured until the burn was really bad.

    Would there be any grounds for redress ?

    • Ian Morris

      While still having a duty of care to homeworkers, I do not think that your employer would have responsibility for the injury you have sustained. Whilst you were working, it is likely that the courts would say that you did not have to work from home during the period of building works and that it would not be reasonable to apportion ‘blame’ on your employer for you burning your toe on your heater.

  30. Em

    I burnt myself at work (2nd degree burn.) The manager on shift’s first aid certificate ran out so he didn’t record it in the accident book.
    The next day a more senior manager redressed my burn and we had an informal discussion about what duties I could still carry out as I work in a kitchen so was wary of anything too hot/wet or dirty.
    Another manager asked me to do one of the jobs that I had been told not to do, and we argued about it.
    I am now suspended and facing dismissal for gross insubordination. This doesn’t seem right considering I only refused to save myself further Injury/infection.
    What are my rights here?

    • Ian Morris

      Under UK law it will depend on what your Doctor has stated as being appropriate work or anything you must avoid. Essentially, if you have been deemed first to work, your employer is able to instruct you to perform any duty that you are able to do – but under UK law, an employer cannot cause you to worsen an injury or risk your health.

  31. Joe

    I was burnt on my back whilst working as a customer had dropped his money so as I went to pick it up he accidentally dropped a coffee on my back. However there was not trained supervisor with us because we were understaffed and me and the other member of staff are both 17. Do I have grounds to claim? I have been to the A&E department Saturday and Sunday. Should the machine that makes the hot drinks make them hot enough to cause substantial burns on my back?

    • Ian Morris

      There are two possible issues that could give rise to you pursuing a claim for compensation in this matter. Firstly, the temperature of the liquid from the machine. If it is producing temperatures of liquid that can cause such severe burns, the machine should carry a warning or could be defective.
      Secondly, you mention a lack of trained supervisors on duty.

      Of course, we need to speak with you further to find out a little more about the incident, what has been reported etc, but our initial view is that we should present a claim enquiry for you to our Solicitors in order that they can properly advise you. To that end, why not use our ‘start a claim’ page to make a detailed enquiry to us?

  32. Gabriela

    Can i claim if i burned my foot with the boiled water from the steamer at work? I’ve been told by the supervisor to go and drain the excess in the toilet as it was too much water in it and that’s where the incident happend

    • Ian Morris

      If the incident has been recorded in the employers accident book and medical treatment has been obtained for the burn, then yes, you could make a claim.

      If you would like to discuss this further, please call us on 01225430285.

  33. Michael

    Hi I was injured at work I burned myself with hot liquid after taking a tray of hot food out of the oven that slipped of a shelf and burnt my arm. I reported it in the accident book and gave myself first aid on the spot. I didn’t take time off work or see a Doctor but I now have scars.

    I should add that we have also reported problems with the work place that haven’t been made right for months so it seems like my employer who is the local council are being negligent towards our health and safety.

    • Ian Morris

      We would like to speak to you regarding your injury at work as there could well be a claim to pursue here. Although you have not attended the GP, the accident book report will provide useful evidence to support any claim that could be made.

      We need to know more about the accident that lead to your burn injury so that we can ascertain whether or not you have a valid claim, so we would recommend further contact with us.

  34. Josh

    I got burnt whilst working as an agency chef, from my chin to my groin 20% of my body. I slipped on grease on the kItchen floor in the clean up area. I was carrying 10 litres of boiling water. I did not have safety shoes on it the manager was aware of this as I was waiting to get paid to get mine. I am off work I am in pain and I am a mess emotionally and physically. Whilst waiting for paramedics they got me to sign the accident book stating it was my fault as well, I feel I was in shock at this time.

    • Ian Morris

      We would like to discuss this further with you and believe that it is worthwhile pursuing a claim against your employer in this matter.

  35. Ben Smith

    I was scalded in the face and suffered whiplash when a tap at work exploded boiling in my face, this tap had no caution hot water signs above it and was never or very rarely checked for faults, could my employer be at fault here?

    • Ian Morris

      Our initial view is that you have a valid claim for workplace injury compensation here and we would be happy to pursue this further for you. If the employer cannot demonstrate that they have an adequate maintenance and inspection regime in place regarding the plumbing within the workplace, they could struggle to defend any claim.

    • Ben Smith

      Is it breaking health and safety laws if a workplace doesn’t put up caution hot water signs next to hot water taps? I’m strongly thinking about putting a claim in for a burn injury from a faulty tap, thanks.

  36. havva

    I was severely burned with boiled kettle water in a work accident almost 3 years ago, I have tried to claim three times and each time they have closed my file due to lack of witness. My final claim has just been closed also because they have found my witness but she has said that she does not want to be involved in any way. I would like justice because this has caused me to be depressed and has made me loose all confidence, it has caused me visible damage for life up my leg and I’ve had to go through surgeries of skin grafting etc.. please advice me, what can I do?

    • Ian Morris

      What an awful situation, burn injuries, including scalding are extremely painful and distressing injuries and we can appreciate why you want justice.

      The situation you describe is a clear indication as to why it is so important that a claim is supported by evidence if the claimant is to have a good prospect of succeeding. If your claim has failed on 3 occasions, it is extremely unlikely that anyone is going to be able to succeed for you unless new and substantial supportive evidence becomes available. In your case, this sounds unlikely.

      Of course, if your witness were willing to provide a supportive statement and assist you in the claims process that would give you a far better chance of winning your claim. Is there any way you can speak with the potential witness to see if you can get them on board? The other issue you have is the pressing proximity of your 3-year claim limitation. Any action MUST be taken before that 3-year period expires.

  37. Hannah

    Hi, i recently got a facial burn at work whilst making gravy. I was covering the chef while they were on a break and we were really busy and short staffed.

    We currently have no manager so i have been trying to cover both my own role as well as the manager role.

    I was taken to a & e because we had no burn gel on site. I was treated for 2nd degree burns to my face. I was phoned by my boss to return to work the next day as they were struggling without me. I felt pressured to go in even though medical advise told me not to.

    When i have looked at my training records when filling in the incident form at work i noticed i have not been signed off for anything.

    My boss is coming tomorrow to look at it. What would your advise be?

    I am worried because we have no manager im not sure what i should do.

    • Ian Morris

      If you have not been given the right training to work in the kitchen, the cause of your injury is a result of employer negligence and as such, you could well have a valid claim for accident at work compensation.

      Regarding returning to work, you really MUST follow medical advice and not allow your concerns about your employer to cloud your judgement as to when to return to work. When speaking with your employer, you needn’t make any mention of any potential action you could take as a result of the injury and should simply talk about the lack of sufficient staff and any lack of training provision.

      We would be happy to further investigate a possible claim for you as a result of this accident at work. If you would like to take this further, please contact us. We’ll then present a claim enquiry to our specialist burn injury at work Solicitors who can then discuss your claim with you in detail.

  38. Jabu

    I’ve got injured at work. I was wearing the correct PEP due to that we didn’t have fire Jacket and the employer said they still on order and the face shield got broken while I was busy trying to light a boiler. So as a result of my injury. I’ve got burnt on my face and both arms. Is it my fault or employers fault?

    • Ian Morris

      If the employer has provided you with all of the relevant personal protective equipment (PPE) and ensure that you are fully trained and qualified to perform your duties, it will be hard to succeed with a claim against them.

      However, if the employer has in any way been negligent and failed to provide the right training or PPE equipment, then you could succeed with a claim.

      It sounds as though you didn’t have the right fire jacket on and if so, you could well be able to claim for the burns to your arms. However, if you damaged the face shield through your own ‘negligence’ there could be an element of contributory negligence that would have to be accepted for the burn to your face.

      It would be useful for us to speak with you so that we can get a better understanding of the incident and then give you a more ‘qualified’ view of whether or not you can make a claim.

  39. Fran

    Good evening,
    5 weeks ago I had an accident at work. I work in a kitchen and I was doing the washing up like every afternoon. Next to the sink sits a fryer on top of a counter. Somehow the base of the fryer caught in one of my colleagues back pocket and when he moved the hot oil fell on me. I burned my right arm, side, buttock and thigh down to my knee.
    I got some more superficial burns and some deeper ones, one of which is still healing.
    Nobody really knew what to do as first aid, they only applied some gauzes with soothing gel until the paramedics arrived.
    On my first week off work it sounded like I was going to get full pay no matter how long I was going to stay home, which made me think they were being nice to me and I didn’t want to make a claim even if lots of people thought I should. But the more time went by the more things changed. I’ve been given SSP from week two and I really struggled all these weeks. I was told more than once that I was lucky because they didn’t want to fire me even if they could’ve and somehow I felt like they were pushing me to get back to work even if they weren’t being open about it, saying they would have to hire someone else while I was at home and that they weren’t sure they could still give me SSP even with an extension of my sick note.
    I felt incredibly stressed out, with next to no money, my family doesn’t understand what I’m going through and almost belittle the situation. I have panic attacks, struggle to sleep and I can’t erase from my mind all the physical pain I went through and still feel.

    Can you give me some good advice?
    Thanks a lot

    • Ian Morris

      It is understandable that you didn’t want to have to go down the route of claiming compensation from your employer for the injuries you have sustained. No worker wants to have to take action against an employer.

      However, given what you have said, I think you have both a viable and more importantly a very just claim for compensation. I appreciate that you may have concerns about making a claim and how the whole process works. I think it would be a good idea for us to have a chat on the telephone so that I can give you a proper opinion and then answer any queries or worries you may have.

  40. Robert

    Hi i had an accident at work a few weeks ago where i burned my arm in a 100° alkalyne decarbonizer that i was not trained or signed off on, and my employer wrote out a back to work form. He said if i claim he will sack me on the spot , are there any way that a back to work form states that the accident was my fault ? I have now made a claim and lost my job.

    • Ian Morris


      Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your situation and ask for some advice about your recent accident at work. It certainly sounds like your former employer has behaved in an underhanded manner and failed to offer you any kind of fairness or adequate support. Furthermore, if they have sacked you for making a claim then that is illegal. I am pleased that you have already started a claim – it sounds like you have a very strong claim (which is probably why your former employer has treated you so badly).

      I would not really be able to comment on the back to work form regarding who is at fault as I would need to see the form to offer any sensible advice. However, the form should be available to you to view and therefore you should seek a copy of the form at the earliest opportunity and check it to ensure that it is an honest representation of what happened, what was said and that you agree with the contents.

      • Robert

        Hi ian, thanks for your reply, I got a phone call off my boss saying i signed a waiver stating its my fault, but my boss wrote the whole thing – he said he would sack me if i didn’t sign it, he didn’t let me have a look at it either.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.