Rib Injury Compensation Claims & Settlement Values

6 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Rib injuries can be extremely painful and are known to have a huge impact on mobility and strength. Furthermore, they can cause sleepless nights and depression during the recovery period. Usually sustained as a result of a fall from height or blunt trauma when a solid object collides with the chest at force, they can include fractures, bruising or muscular injuries.

Table of contents:

Do you have a rib injury compensation claim?

If you have suffered injuries to the ribs or chest in a non-fault accident you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation. To succeed with a claim, you must have been injured within the last 3 years and you must be able to apportion blame and negligence to a 3rd party – usually an employer, a vehicle driver, a business or public organisation.

If you are unsure as to whether or not your rib injury would qualify for compensation, you can call our knowledgeable staff on 01225 430285. We know your rights and with a brief telephone conversation we’ll be able to advise you.

Types of rib injuries

Any impact injury to the chest area is likely to cause injuries to the ribs. This can be very painful and require a period of rest and recuperation to enable a full recovery. Rib injuries are commonly associated with falls from height, slipping accidents and road traffic accidents. All of which may result in:

  • Fractures to the ribs
  • Tearing of the muscles between the ribs (intercostal muscles)
  • Bruising to the soft tissues around the ribs
  • In serious cases, punctured lungs

In most cases, recovery from rib injuries will take a period of 6-8 weeks and will require rest. However, the recovery time can be delayed or hindered by complications such as the increased risk of chest infection, pneumonia, pneumothorax and haemothorax.

What you should do after the accident

If you have sustained a rib injury as a result of a non-fault accident, you should ensure that the details have been properly reported and recorded within an accident book.

If your injury was caused in an accident at work, the matter should be recorded with the employer. We can help with this if you haven’t done so already, or if your employer won’t assist or let you use their accident book.

In cases of a slipping accident, such as on a wet floor within a supermarket, you should report the matter to the staff within the store.

When a rib injury is sustained in a car accident or a motorcycle crash, the details of any injury should be reported to the insurers.

Following medical treatment and obtaining appropriate pain relief, you can then contact Direct2Compensation to discuss the specifics of your rib injury and start your claim for compensation.

How much compensation do you get for a rib injury?

Once your solicitor has commenced action on your rib injury claim, they will seek to gain an admission of liability from the defendant insurers facing your claim.

When this is obtained they will move on to proving the extent of the injury. This will be done by use of your medical records from any hospital or GP attendances, and the instruction of a medical expert.

They will interview you regarding your symptoms, carry out a brief examination and then write a report for your solicitor with a prognosis of your injury and recommendations for any treatment. You will then be advised as to the appropriate value range for the injury element of your claim. The table below shows the current guidelines in respect of common rib injuries:

Severity of rib injuryCompensation amount
Collapsed lung where full recovery is made£2k - £5k
Serious pain and disability over a period of weeksUp to £4k

The remaining element of your claim, known as special damages, will be the recovery of any costs or loss of income associated with the rib injury you have sustained.

Both your loss of income and costs will be added to the injury value and this will form the settlement value for your claim.

If you would like to discuss your injury and find out whether or not you have a valid claim for rib injury compensation, call us on 01225 430285 or use the ‘start a claim’ page of our website. Our expert staff are here and ready to help you better understand your rights.

How Direct2Compensation helps with your claim

Direct2Compensation offers a simple and easy process to enable you to pursue a claim for compensation on a No Win No Fee basis. Our expert trained staff understand your rights and know the law. In just a few minutes on the phone with you, we’ll be able to advise you as to whether or not you can make a claim for rib injury compensation. If so, we’ll obtain the relevant information and ensure that the details of your injury are passed to the right specialist solicitor.

We work with a network of expert solicitors with a proven track record of successful claims. We’ll ensure that your solicitor understands your needs and that your claim is given the maximum prospects of success.

Direct2Compensation will ensure that you have the direct contact details for the solicitor handling your claim and will be available to assist and answer any questions you may have at any stage throughout your claim.

6 questions have been answered on this subject - ask us your question

Leave a comment or question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll reply as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Comments & Questions

Read on for questions and advice about claiming, plus rib injury claim examples...

Hi, I slipped on a piece of wood at work and fell onto a piece of rail and I have suspected fractured 3 ribs and in agony.

Ian Morris

Please call us on 01225430285 so that our team can discuss your accident at work with you and help you to ascertain whether or not you can pursue a claim for personal injury compensation against your employer. Our initial view is that you may well have a valid claim.


I slipped at work (in a kids soft play) while cleaning a childrens hard plastic slide. I broke a rib when I lost my footing and slipped and landed on my left breast. I will have to be off for six weeks. Should I have rights to make a claim although I am still employed by the company?

Ian Morris

Yes, you do have a right to make a claim whilst still working for the employer. Any claim would be against the employers statutory insurance cover and would not have any impact on your right to keep your job.

If you would like to make a claim, please call us.


There was a floor access panel which was not fitted into the floor correctly, there were no signs or security to tell me otherwise. I stepped on the loose floor panel and the wood impacted my ribs, the doctor has said bruised ribs and 2 weeks off work, please advise.

Ian Morris

Given that the floor access panel was not correctly fitted, you have every right to pursue a claim for compensation. We would be very happy to help you with this claim.

Chat with us for friendly, expert advice 01225 430285