Making A Slip, Trip or Fall Compensation Claim

You can claim compensation if you have been injured by a slip, trip or fall in a public place, if it can be proven that it was someone else’s fault. We work on a no win no fee basis, meaning there’s no financial risk to you if you don’t win your claim.

Skip to section

Slipping hazard on a wet floor


Slip and trip claims often arise from injuries sustained on dangerous floor surfaces at work or, as we examine here, in public places. This would include tripping over a pothole or damaged pavement, or slipping on a wet floor in a shop or restaurant.

Such accidents may be due to employer or council negligence. For example, by not properly cleaning up a spill or removing a hazardous obstruction. They can be held liable for any accidents that occur as a result of not adhering to any required health and safety procedures.

In addition to this page, the public questions and our responses at the bottom of our article on valid slipping claims will help you to understand more about the wide range of scenarios involved. Here we look at how to make a successful compensation claim after injuring yourself following a slip, trip or fall that wasn’t your fault.

Direct2Compensation have helped many clients win compensation for slips or trips, including:

  • A lady who tripped over a a raised paving stone caused by a tree root growing under the surface of pavement sustaining a broken arm.
  • A mother of 3 who slipped on water that had leaked from a broken freezer unit in a supermarket with no hazard warning sign displayed, causing her to sustain a dislocated knee.
  • A man who tripped in a large pothole in a cul-de-sac fracturing his ankle.
  • A worker who slipped on oil leaking from a faulty forklift truck at his workplace, breaking his leg in the process.

How to make your slip, trip or fall claim

Claims for slips, trips or falls should be made as soon as possible after the accident, but legally you have a three-year window. Liability can be difficult to prove, but with the right guidance it is certainly possible to win a fair amount of compensation for injuries that were not your fault.

Obviously, your first port of call is medical treatment for your injuries. Following that, you should seek expert legal advice on your next steps to maximise the chance of success. A solid claim will usually need to be reported and recorded, and have evidence and/or witnesses to back it up.

Ideally, the incident should be recorded with the company or authority responsible for the area in which the accident happened.

For example, if you slip on a wet floor in a shop or restaurant, it should be recorded in an accident book within the premises. The injured party should contribute to the statement and only sign it when they are happy with what is written.

In the case of a trip or fall on a footpath, the matter should be reported to the Highways Department of the local authority. A full description of the hazard should be given along with its location.

If possible, you should take photographs of the cause of the accident with clear measurements of the hazard. Delays can lead to your claim failing as the hazard could be removed by weather or repaired/cleaned up by the liable party. This would damage your prospects of successfully claiming.

Witness statements are also admissible as evidence, so try to collect the names and contact details of anyone who saw your accident and is willing to back up your claim.

Don’t worry if this all seems a bit complicated – if you are in any doubt about what to do, feel free to call, email us, or complete our online claim form, and we will be happy to help. There is no charge for assessing your case, so you have nothing to lose and much to gain if you can make a successful claim.

How do I know if I have a valid claim?

Being injured after a slip or trip doesn’t necessarily mean you have a valid claim. You can’t claim personal injury compensation if an accident was caused by your own actions; it has to be someone else’s fault.

For example, if you slipped on a wet floor and there was no hazard sign erected, you may have a valid claim for compensation. The 3rd party could be seen as liable for your injuries by failing to provide a warning of a foreseeable risk to your safety.

Even if a warning sign is present, the 3rd party is required to remove a known hazard in a reasonable time frame. If they hadn’t taken action within this time, they would still be liable.

It would also be worth checking to see whether the premises have public liability insurance. Public liability insurance covers companies, shops and organisations should anything happen whilst somebody is on their property. It is a legal requirement to have public liability insurance and you can be prosecuted for not having it.

If you haven’t had medical treatment, it is likely that your injuries will not be seen as sufficiently serious to warrant a claim. If you have been suffering in silence and haven’t seen the GP, you still can. If your injuries are consistent with those suffered in a slip or trip, you can then prove your injuries and pursue a claim.

Whilst the law states that in most cases you have three years from the date of an accident to make your personal injury claim, it is best done as quickly as possible. This ensures the availability of evidence and fresh medical opinion. However, in some circumstances this can be extended for an even longer period, for instance if you were not 18 years old at the time.

How much compensation will I receive for my injuries?

There are guidelines issued by the courts for solicitors, but it’s impossible to say exactly how much you can expect as all cases vary. All our solicitors are experts in handling accident claims and know how to use the guidelines to ensure you receive the right amount of compensation for your injuries.

Settlements are calculated based on the type and severity of the injury, plus the financial and quality-of-life impact it has. For example, a wrist injury that has resulted in permanent pain and stiffness could amount to between £10,000 and £20,000. That’s just for the injury itself, not including ‘special damages’, which relate to incurred expenses and other effects on the injured person’s life.

You will be advised once initial evidence has been collected as to the likely level of compensation for your slip and trip injury. Usually we will claim for the following on your behalf:

  • The pain and distress caused to you by the injuries sustained
  • Associated costs and losses
  • Lost earnings if you have been away from work as a result of the accident
  • Medical treatments and post accident care
  • Restrictions on your ability to fulfil your usual activities and social life
  • Miscellaneous expenses (bus fares, painkillers etc)

What do I do now?

If you need some clear, honest advice, contact us. We have many years experience of handling these claims, and you can use our knowledge and expertise to give you the best chance of success.

16 questions   ASK YOUR OWN

  1. hi I had a fall at my work I was going back to my workplace and stood on a rubber mat as I walked there next thing I knew was I was up in the air as the rubber mat was wet under neath I landed on my arm and back and was really hurting I went to hospital had x rays nothing was broken but in a lot of pain I am taking morphine pain killers for arm neck and back pain I have been of 5 weeks and I think I will be of at least another 6- to 8 weeks I am getting phsio to help with the pain can I get a claim for loss of earnings

    1. Our initial view is that you have a viable claim. The cause of your accident – the wet rubber mat – would give you good prospects of succeeding with a claim for compensation. If you were to succeed with your claim, alongside a compensation settlement for the injuries sustained, you would also be able to recover any costs and losses incurred – such as your lost wages – by way of the special damages element of your claim settlement.

      We would like to help you make your slipping accident claim and would simply need 5 minutes on the phone with you to take the initial information needed to be able to pass your claim to one of our specialist slipping accident Solicitors. To provide us with your contact details you can fill in a short form on our website ‘start a claim‘ page or alternatively, you can call us on 01225430285.

  2. I was coming into an restaurant. The floor was really wet. I slipped and injured my left leg. Every since then my leg has been bothering me. My leg has been hurting me. When I go to stand on it, it feels weak. Like I am going to fall. My ankle is swollen. I told the host at the podium that the floor needs to be dryed up. She said ok.

    1. Given the scenario you have described, I think you should call us as we would like to run this claim for you. The restaurant should not have had a wet floor with no hazard warning signs and as you’ve reported the hazard to them you have a viable claim to pursue.

      You can call us on 01225430285 or visit the ‘start a claim’ page of our website and submit your contact details to us.

  3. Hello
    Please can you advise me as to whether I can claim a “pavement fall”. My foot went into a sunken block paving in Poole High Street. The position of the sinkage was such that it couldn’t be seen from the way i approached the block.
    I was unable to right myself and fell onto my right knee.. To cut a long story short, The pain was such that I was taken to poole hospital where the x-ray showed a fractured patella. I was advised to get photos but had cut short my holiday and have relied to a local person to take photos for me.
    The 50 pence coin shows the sinkage to be just about an inch but the damage is on three sides. this was inSeptember 2015 and I have been pondering on whether I should or could claim as my knee injury has and according to my Doctor will continue to give me problems for the rest of my life. I expect this prognosis is because I am 72 yrs old but otherwise far from frail.

    1. Sheila

      Thank you for contacting us regarding your fall in Poole. On the basis of your comment, I would suggest that you contact us so that we can investigate this for you. We would need to see the photographs of the accident site to confirm, but at this stage I believe we could pursue this for you.

      You are right in that you are still within the legal time limit to enable you to pursue a claim. You have a maximum period of 3-years from the date of the accident to pursue your claim. If you were injured in September 2015, you have a further 18 months or so through to September 2018. I would suggest that you don’t wait any longer before starting your claim.

      Please email me your photographs and telephone number to: [email protected] so that I can review them and then call you to take some further information and get the ball rolling.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely


  4. Hi I have been working as a door to door salesman for a promotions co on behalf of a major charity. Whilst out and about I slipped and hurt my knee. I have been off work for 5 weeks yet my employer isn’t interested. Where do I stand! Had MRI scan and I have damaged knee and tear in my cartridge.

    1. Mike

      Whether or not you have grounds to make a claim for compensation will depend on the cause of your injury. In this case, it is unlikely to be something you can hold the employer liable for as I am assuming that you were out and about in public – on a footpath or similar? In that case, it would depend on the state of the ground/floor where you fell.

      If you have simply slipped on a pavement, it is unlikely that you have any realistic prospects of succeeding with claim. If however, you have slipped due to some sort of hazard on a pavement (broken surface, missing drain cover etc), you may well be able to claim. Also, if you have slipped on a wet floor in a communal area of a building for example, you may well have viable claim.

      It would be best for you to call us have have a quick chat – a couple of minutes on the phone with us would enable us to give you a proper view of your situation. Please call us on 01225430285/

      Kind regards



    1. Craig

      On the basis of what you have said, I would suggest that we should commence a claim against the Dental surgery for their failure to either warn you of a possible slipping hazard or applying grit/salt to the surface of their marble steps.

      Whilst we all realise that ice is slippery, there are times when ice cannot be seen or where it is fair to expect that people are more vulnerable that ‘normal’ and as such, ice found in these areas should be treated to reduce as far as possible, the risk of slipping.

      Ice on the steps of a business, shop, restaurant or health centre (as with your Dental Surgery) present a clear and foreseeable risk to the users of those establishments and should be treated. In your case, you have been exposed to the risk of injury without any warning and I would therefore take the view that you have a good prospect of succeeding should you pursue a claim for compensation.

      At Direct2Compensation, we would be very happy to discuss this with you and link you with one of our specialist injury compensation solicitors with a view to you pursuing a No Win No Fee claim.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  6. Hi I was walking across a gravel car park in work stood awkwardly on a stone and broke my foot would I be able to claim for this thanks

    1. Gareth

      You may be able to pursue a claim against the landowner responsible for the car park where you were injured, if we were able to demonstrate that they had not taken sufficient steps to provide a safe surface for the users of the facility.

      Clearly, succeeding with a claim for an injury in a gravel car park is not going to be easy, but that does not mean to say that we could not succeed. With this in mind, we’d be happy to try and help you pursue this claim if you would like our assistance. We’d need to speak with you in greater detail to find out more and then be able to offer you a more accurate view of things. To this end, please do call us on 01225430285 or email us: [email protected]

      In order to protect your interests, I would suggest that you make sure that the owner/organisation responsible for the car park where you fell are aware of your injury and the cause of the accident.

      I hope this helps and we look forward to hearing from you.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

    1. Steven

      Thank you for raising your situation with us and for completing a contact request form via our site at:

      This has enabled us to speak with you in greater detail and discuss your situation. Your claim certainly has sufficient merit to be investigated further and to be presented to Lidl for their response. To this end, your claim is now in the hands of one of our specialist injury compensation solicitors so that they can pursue this for you.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

  7. Hi, a metal plate out side local shop at the enterance was warped, which caused me trip forward as my fr9nt toe of my sandles became stuck under the plate. I went forward but grapped the door handle so i did not fall, but as it was a suden jolt forward i injured my knee. Didnt really hurt at thebtime just a twinge. I m3n5ioned to the sales assistant at the t8me. Its only as the night- early hours of the following morning that my knee became swollen and increaded pain. Eventuately i could not stane up or put any preasure on my knee and had to call the paramedicts out to my home. Was advised to take these pain killer which he left me. I mentioned that my knee has spasms that i cant control, he says its lock knee. Waite until the swelling goes down and i might need to have a scan as xray wont show. I didnt take a picture at the time, but later that week my son went to take a picture, but the damaged plate had been replaced, so i have no proof? Your advuce please

    1. Elaine

      Thank you for your input to our site.

      It is clear that the obvious ‘hurdle’ to overcome in your case (and in the vast majority of claims for personal injury compensation) is proving that there was an incident and that the incident was caused by the negligence of a certain party. In your case, proving the injury is not going to be a problem as there will now be paramedic records available and if you attend the GP or Hospital in future, further records will support the injury element of your claim. However, the more important thing is to prove that there was a hazard present and that it was that which caused your injury.

      You mention that you did report the incident to the sales assistant, do you know if they recorded your details anywhere? I would suggest that you either re-visit the store in question or write/email them outlining what happened. Describe the cause of the fall – the metal plate – and the injury that you have sustained. You should also mention the assistant to whom you reported the matter. Ideally, mention the date and time and describe the person to whom you reported this – if you know their name, state it. If you send a letter by mail, do so by recorded delivery and retain a proof of postage along with a copy of the letter. This will confirm that the 3rd party are on notice of the accident (if you email them, you will have a copy in your ‘sent’ folder).

      On the basis of what you have said, I feel that you have a very viable claim for compensation as the cause of your fall was a hazardous metal plate in the entrance to a store. This hazard presented a foreseeable risk to the customers of the store and with that in mind, it is likely that you would succeed with a claim for compensation if you were to pursue the same.

      We would gladly help you pursue this matter and of course, we would do so on a No Win No Fee basis. If you would like our assistance, we’d need a few minutes on the phone with you to obtain some further details and we could then ensure that we had the matter passed to the right specialist injury solicitor. To do this, we need your contact details. Therefore, either revisit our website ‘start your claim’ page at: or call us on 01225430285. I have also emailed you a copy of this reply and you can respond to that with your contact details if you prefer.

      We look forward to hearing from you and helping you with this claim.

      Yours sincerely

      Ian Morris

Leave a Reply to Gareth Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *