Knee Injury Claims & Compensation Amounts

47 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

The knee is a complex joint and can be severely injured in any fall from height or as a result of unnatural twisting, with the stability and strength of the knee affected as a result. Injuries to the soft tissues and bone structure of the knee are commonly associated with road traffic accidents, slips and trips and accidents at work.

Table of contents:

Types of knee injury you can claim for

Knee injury compensation can be claimed by any person who has suffered the injury as a result of the negligence of a third party, commonly an employer, shop or landowner.

As with any claim, medical evidence will be needed, so it is important that you seek medical attention to diagnose your injury and commence a suitable treatment plan.

Common types of knee injury for which compensation can be claimed include:

  • Knee ligament damage – tears and strains
  • Cartilage damage
  • Dislocation of the knee joint
  • Bursitis injuries (housemaid’s or carpet fitter’s knee)
  • Muscular injuries, including strains or pulls of the quad muscle, calf muscle or hamstring
  • Fractures and breaks to the knee joint
  • Patella or knee cap injuries

Some knee injuries, such as ligament tears and cartilage damage, can require intensive medical treatment, surgery and ongoing rehabilitation therapies. Others can be treated with physiotherapy and support dressings.

The value of a knee injury compensation settlement will depend on the severity of the knee injury, what level of damage has been sustained, how long the symptoms last for and whether any surgical intervention has been required.

Our solicitors will obtain your medical records and arrange for a medical assessment to be carried out with a detailed report provided to support your claim. In cases where an admission of liability is obtained, it may also be possible to seek costs for specialist rehabilitation therapies that will improve and speed up the recovery process.

Compensation amounts for knee injuries

The value of a claim for knee injury compensation will vary depending on the type of injury sustained and whether or not you have fully recovered.

In cases where the knee injury is relatively minor, such as a sprain or soft tissue bruising, and recovers within 12 months, the claimant should expect compensation from £1,000 to £5,000.

In cases of cartilage damage or a dislocation of the knee which has left a permanent weakness to the knee joint, compensation settlements will be higher, up to just under £20,000.

In the rare case of severe permanent trauma to the knee that will result in knee replacement surgery, the claimant could receive up to £70,000 in damages for their injury.

As with all claims for compensation, should you succeed you can also recover any lost income and costs incurred via the special damages element of your claim. Our expert solicitors will ensure that you are adequately and fairly compensated.

Are you eligible to claim?

If your knee injury was caused by the negligence of someone else you have a right to make a compensation claim against the person or business responsible.

To succeed with your claim, your solicitor will need to be able to demonstrate that the cause rests with the negligent actions of a third party. This could be an employer who may have been negligent in their training or provision of work equipment, or a supermarket that failed to remove a slipping hazard from the shop floor.

To ensure that your claim has the best possible chances of succeeding, you must ensure that the details of your knee injury are properly recorded within an accident book and seek medical attention from a GP or hospital. Also, if you weren’t under 18 at the time you must make your claim within 3 years of the date of your accident.

If you are unsure as to whether or not you can make a claim, call us on 01225 430285 or if you prefer, we can call you back. Our expert staff will quickly be able to identify whether or not the cause is something that you could pursue a claim for.

We know your rights and have a proven track record with expert solicitors succeeding on behalf of our clients.

We have an easy to understand No Win No Fee claims process, and whilst we can never guarantee that we will win any claim for compensation, we can guarantee that we care, that we’ll work hard in your best interests, and that if your claim should fail it will not cost you a penny.

47 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll answer it as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Answers

  1. Thulani Nhlapo

    Hi Ian I wanted to deduce something from that, because I tripped and fell over a gymnastic beam bar and I fainted and when I gained consciousness I was in agony and the pain was excruciating, I was rushed to hospital where it was found that my knee cap was fractured, but the report that was gathered by my employer is that I just fainted and she told me that she is not going to write that I tripped because that is what the witnesses are saying. the report does not say anything about my knee being injured so it ism word against them because I remember exactly what happened. Am I going to be allowed to give my version of the incident report on my side as a victim.

    • Ian Morris

      Your employer should allow you to put forward your version of events as you recollect them. Given that you disagree with the contents of the employers report, the only way to have any amendment made to their report will be for a more formal investigation to be undertaken and for anyone who was present at the time of the incident to be asked for a statement.

      If any of the people who witnessed the incident can confirm that you tripped over the beam bar before then fainting, you would be able to get the report corrected and potentially pursue a claim.

  2. Thulani Nhlapo

    Are able to claim if you just fainted and got a knee fracture at work.

    • Ian Morris

      The scenario you describe is not a valid claim for compensation. Whilst the injury mentioned is clearly unfortunate and was not the fault of the injured party, there is also no liability or negligence that can be attached to the cause of the injury.

  3. Lee

    I work in food retail and whilst removing pallets from the warehouse to take onto the shopfloor I slipped and damaged my knee. The assistant manager took me to the hospital. I have had x-ray,Physiotherapy, and I am awaiting to see if I need an mri. 8 weeks on I am still in pain. My employer said because the spillage was hidden from sight – Underneath the pallets I won’t be able to claim back for loss of earnings as there was nothing they could of done to prevent it from happening.

    • Ian Morris

      We do not think that you should simply accept your employers denial of any responsibility – it is not for them to say whether or not they should compensate you for your injury. There are questions to ask about the storage within the workplace, how the food items were stored and whether the leak could have been identified earlier. These questions need to be asked by a specialist Solicitor and answered under investigation by the employers insurers. You certainly have a right to make a claim and our specialist Solicitors would be quite happy to consider your situation with a view to making a claim against your employers insurance cover for the injuries and loss of income you have incurred.

      If you would like to take this further and seek some specialist advice from our Solicitors, we’ll need a few minutes on the phone with you to take some further basic details. You can start the process online or you can call our team on 01225430285 for help.

  4. Maria

    I work in a busy florist, during a delivery on a cold icy morning I slipped on the road/ pavement, and have subsequently injured my knee. It has been very painful and left me unable to drive.
    The Doctor I have consulted says I need to have an operation to repair the damage to my knee cap and cartilage.
    Although this accident did not happen on work premises and was not due to neglect, do I have a claim.
    Thanks M

    • Ian Morris

      If you slipped on ice on a public footpath or the pathway to a private property, you would not be able to make a claim. Whilst local authorities have a responsibility for treating the roads and highways in their region in icy or cold weather, that responsibility does not apply to footpaths and pavements.

  5. Colleen

    I feel bad because I didn’t tell the truth to my ma8& on report, if I had my colleague would have to move & she likes where she sits. I have already had to cover desk edge with padding to keep banging my hip & kept getting a bruise & today I caught my foot on her computer wire because she has the console part on floor under her desk plus a bag of shoes & loose shoes so the computer wires stick out everywhere I have to pass because it’s a tiny office. I fell heavily because I’m not a small lady & landed on my knees & hand, my left knee is huge now & full of fluid but my shoulder & neck left side are really painful too now & they weren’t earlier. It’s so sad as I like her but I’m in a good deal of pain, what’s more sad is I am 65 & retire this month from ill health so ended up facing tribunals so agreed to retire & work is my only income & i’m on my own. I will go to A& E tomorrow as this is so painful now, my boss will be angry that I’ve not gone in too. But the office is so small & such a mess under my colleagues desk it’s like a wardrobe.

    • Ian Morris

      Given the apparently hazardous nature of your workplace, you should make a written report to your employers regarding the working area and ask for measures to be taken to prevent further injury.

      If the employer ignores your report of possible hazards and risks to health and you then sustain further injury, you would be in a position to pursue a claim for compensation.

  6. Stephen

    I injured my knee at work in 2015 but I did not get my op in till the 6th of April this year. I was off in till the 17th of June then I went back to work for 3 weeks on reduced hours, the 1st week was 4 hours then the next 2 weeks were 6 hours, but my knee swelled up again and I went to my doctor’s and he give me a sick note for 2 weeks, can you help?

    • Ian Morris

      Unfortunately in our view you are now out of limitation and cannot now take any action in terms of claiming compensation for your injuries – unless you started a claim before the 3rd anniversary of your accident and had the matter registered in the courts to protect your rights.

      UK law applies a strict 3-year claim limitation period in which you must take action and pursue a claim for compensation.

  7. Karen

    While working last Monday in the mist of doing OR procedures, I begin to notice a pain behind my knee that persisted and radiated up to the thigh and down to the calf. My leg became swollen, I couldn’t and still can’t extend without pain, or walk normally. My thigh, knee and calf are tight and stiff. My supervisor was aware of the situation. I continued to work that day and all schedule shifts since. I had an ultrasound, xray, seen ortho and an urgent care doc. I’m scheduled for an MRI this evening. So far the theory is a torn tendon or meniscus . So far I’ve used my insurance for everything. I contacted the human resources today and she knew nothing of my situation. Should that have been reported? Will this be considered workmans comp? Should I have continued to work? I’m totally at a lost here.

    • Ian Morris

      Based on your description of the issues you face (medical costs and insurance etc), I believe you may not be in the UK? Direct2Compensation is a specialist expert firm operating within the legal system of the UK with regards to matters of personal injury. As you are not in the UK, we’ll need to advise you to make enquiries with a personal injury specialist in which ever legal jurisdiction you are based in.

  8. john chukwu emeka onunkwo

    hi, i am a security guard, unfortunately i was posted to work at the gate when someone shouted that i should close the gate that criminals broke a shop and loaded it in a bakkie and speeding towards the gate, as am trying to close the gate the criminals bang me with the bakkie and run away, i hit my two knees on the ground, though my supervisors knew but no one took care of me, it created pain in my life, i used to attend clinic taking painkiller but to this point it becoming so serious that my knees is getting weak and the pain continues. i went to general hospital and was referred to hospital further assistance, it sounds to be an issue of ligaments or nerve, am afraid of what the situation will be. this problem happened almost seven years ago, please how do i go about this, i am dying in silence, let me know what you think.

    • Ian Morris

      Unfortunately, UK personal injury law would prevent you from being able to do anything regarding your knee injuries as more than 3 years has now passed since the incident in which you were injured. Further, as the injuries appear to have been caused in a criminal incident, you would have to make a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority and this must be done within 2 years of the date of the incident.

  9. Deweyetta

    My boss accidentally pushed me into my desk drawer while I was being giving instructions on a procedure, injuring my knee.

    • Ian Morris

      It would appear that your injury was simply an unfortunate accident and not due to negligence.

      • Dewey

        What should I do? My knee is swollen and I can barely walk. I asked him to put a accident report in but he ignored me.

        • Ian Morris

          As it was an accident at work, the employer should enter the details in the accident book. As they have refused to record the incident, you should make a written report to your employer by email outlining what has happened and request that they record the details for you.

  10. Marie

    End of Nov 2017 I was on an NHS well being course physiotherapy appointment. I’d had a number of appts before this one.
    This was my first day/first 5-10 minutes in the council run leisure centre where the NHS physiotherapist was based.

    My first 5 minutes were spent showing me how to get on the exercise bike, how to sit, and how to use the dials etc.
    After a 3-5 minute warm up the physio said “you can get off now, I’m just getting a drink of water”.
    With that, he turned and walked away. I wasn’t shown how to get off or dismount etc despite all
    the instructions on how to get on the bike.
    I took my right foot out of the stirrup with no problems and expected my left foot to come out as easy as the right foot but it didn’t..
    It got stuck and the large heavy exercise bike fell on top of me.
    I crashed to the floor and landed on my right knee with the left foot still in the stirrup and the bike landed on me.
    The result was agony and that my right knee splattered open. Completely across the knee was a large deep laceration from side to side and lots of blood.

    First aiders called an ambulance and the physio was flapping about and the leisure centre manager came with the accident book so I know it was filled in. Although I was very faint and in considerable pain at the time.
    I was brought to one hospital but they couldn’t treat it as it needed an operation to stitch it all up etc.
    So that was done at another hospital.
    I’ve been reluctant to claim as I felt bad suing the NHS and the physio made me feel terrible and guilty. He phoned non stop after the accident saying his dad had died and it was the worst year of his life and he’s never had a patient been injured in his whole career etc. That he will be my physio for life and will help me forever. I felt very guilty and sorry for him!
    I refused to answer his calls I’m the end and I cringed and felt sick seeing his number. I felt he would do something bad (to himself) if I claimed.. I told his managers I couldn’t ever see him or let him attend me again and they facilitated this.

    Getting to the present day.
    My knee is getting worse. So much so that I have recently had an MRI and they say they have to repair torn cartilage etc and the numbness all over the knee like pins and needles is probably never going to go as it is nerve damage due to the depth of the laceration. My knee is getting worse by the week. As well as an ugly big scar across my leg.

    I am scheduled for keyhole surgery in the next month.
    I would now like to take this further. Is it the NHS ie physio not looking after me properly or the council leisure centre equipment falling? Or as I feel, a combination of both that are to blame?
    I didn’t think this would be how I am and how much pain and discomfort I’m in and it is worrying me how it is getting worse.
    Can you advise me which way to go with this please?
    Many thanks, Marie

    • Ian Morris

      Given what you have said, there is a case for pursuing a claim in this matter given the lack of supervision or instruction when getting off of the exercise bike.

      You remain within 3 years of the accident date, so are able to pursue a claim enquiry and it is clearly something worth looking further in to given the impact that the incident has had on your health and well-being.

      If you would like us to look further in to your claim enquiry and present this to our specialist Solicitors for consideration, we’ll need to speak with you and get some additional information.

  11. Marlo

    My shift manager accidentally bumped me in the entry way where I was knocked down, I hit my left knee bone on the concrete floor. Initially, I thought that I was alright and my colleagues were asking me if I needed to go to the Hospital. However, I said that I was fine but few days later I started to feel pain in my hip. I don’t know if this is related to what had happen to me?

    Please give me your input.

    • Ian Morris

      The important steps to take after any accident at work is to firstly ensure that the details of any accident and injury are recorded properly within an accident book or incident reporting scheme at the workplace. You should also then ensure that any injuries – even if they are not immediately obvious – are presented to your GP or at a Hospital at the earliest opportunity. These two steps ensure that the appropriate evidence is in place should any claim arise in the future.

      In your case, make sure that the accident was reported and also go to the Doctor to discuss your hip pain and the accident at work.

  12. Luz

    I had a car accident few years ago and it was not my fault. I had both off my knees injured. I had surgery on one knee, but still have pain when I walk or when I sit for too long. The person driving the other car did not have a drivers license and did not get injured.

    Can I still claim compensation? I did not get too much back then and I live with pain.

    • Ian Morris

      UK personal injury law would not allow you to return to claim a 2nd time – if you have already made a claim for compensation after your car accident and received a settlement, unfortunately you cannot seek further damages.

      If you have not already claimed, you could make a claim for compensation – but as long as your accident was less than 3 years ago.

  13. Phil

    Hi I have worked in the manufacture of upholstery for 35 years working piece work. It involves heavy lifting on a repetitive system I have to lift by myself often. The company instructs us to lift bending the knees. As a result I have been informed I will need a knee replacement. My question is do i have a legal claim against the firms I have worked for? Thank you for any advice.

    • Ian Morris

      It is unlikely that you will be able to make a claim against the employers here as they have done the right thing in training you to lift safely and use the strength of the legs (by bending at the knee) to lift, rather than using the back. The other issue you will have is proving causation – that the trouble with your knees is caused by your work and not by degeneration or similar.

  14. Ms G

    I had several accidents at work over five years ago which at the time was just taken as being a bad injuries to me knees. Recently my legs and knees have swollen really bad and it has been suggested I now need surgery for knee replacements. As the time was some time ago can I still make a valid claim for injury and how is the best way to proceed if I do?

    • Ian Morris

      If your accidents were longer than 3 years ago, there is nothing you can do as UK law provides a maximum claim limitation period of 3 years from the date of an accident in which you can make a claim. If more than 3 years have passed, you are statute barred and can take no action.

  15. Simon

    I was reversed into at work by a vehicle whilst I was doing my job, as a result I sustained a knee injury that is still on going a year on. At the time I put in the accident book and reported it to the management. I have had some other health issues meaning I’ve had quite a lot of sick days I was worried that I would go onto ssp. I was advised by hr to look at put a personal injury claim in to cover any loss of earnings. Since then I have found out that the paperwork by my company hasn’t been filled out correctly, the accident wasn’t reported to riddor and that they have back dated witness statements, it looks like I will have to have an operation on my knee to make it better. I have been with my employer for more than ten years.

    • Ian Morris

      The fact that you initially recorded the accident details correctly is important as you have done the right thing. The employer then losing the record or not recording it properly is out of your hands. You should certainly put in writing to the employer your thoughts on this and confirming what you recorded.

      That you were hit by a reversing vehicle at work would indicate that you have a strong claim for compensation – even with the lost accident book record. Have you already tried to pursue a claim against the employer or liable vehicle insurer? If not, please call us on 01225430285 or use our ‘start a claim’ page. We’d be very happy to further investigate your claim.

  16. gary paterson

    I have worked for the same employer for over 20 years, I had to have a knee op in 2012 which at the time the surgeon did say it was my type of work that caused it. I then had to have my other knee done in 2015. I have now been told I need a HTO on my left knee as I’m too young for knee replacement – do i have a claim?

    • Ian Morris

      You may have had a claim against your employer, but our concern is that you are outside of the strict 3-year claim limitation period.

  17. Carol

    I had an accident at work last Nov. I was pulled over by a child hurting my knee I’ve had 1 operation and been off work for 6 weeks so far.

    • Ian Morris

      Was your accident caused by employer negligence? If so, you could seek to make a claim against your employer for the injuries you have sustained and any lost income that you have incurred as a result.

      If you would like to find out more about whether or not you have a valid claim for work accident compensation, use our ‘start a claim’ form or call us on 01225430285 so that our expert staff can discuss your accident with you and identify whether or not you can pursue your claim further.

  18. Mike king

    I am a security supervisor at crown court. I injured my knee assisting a police officer restrain a male who was resisting arrest.

    • Ian Morris

      We are currently pursuing similar claims for security staff who were injured in assisting Police officers apprehend an aggressive person. As such, it may well be that you also have a valid claim – of course, much will depend on whether your employer has carried out adequate risk assessments and provided you with the right level of support and training. If you would like us to investigate your prospects further, please get in touch.

  19. Mike

    I had a knee accident 15 years ago. I fell on a wet floor whilst neighbour was moving was told neither had insurance so just left it at that, been in constant pain ever since, been on crutches ever since fall messed my life up as cannot work. thanks.

    • Ian Morris

      Sadly, it would seem that you are now way outside the legal claim limitation period of 3 years and as such, there is nothing you can do to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

  20. Debbie Bircumshaw

    Good morning, I work for a firm of Solicitors as Legal Secretary and have been here for just over 3 months now. I work in a building with lots of floors and no lift. I have to walk up 4 flights of stairs just to get to my office. Daily I am up and down the stairs constantly. Then I have another 2 flights of stairs to go up to the toilet and use the kitchen.
    I began getting discomfort in my knees and ended up going to the doctors due to the pain. He examined me and can see there is a problem and has prescribed me some anti-inflammatories and to take pain relief. I now have to take this daily. He said I could possibly have a cortisone injection into each knee but would like to try and delay that for the time being due to my age, I am 43. Eventually I will need knee replacements!
    I have never had issues with my knees yet the daily struggle of going up and down the stairs has led me to having bad knees! When I took the job I did not realise the stress and strain I would be under just to get to my work space!
    I have tried different shoes to see if this helps but nothing does, and I am more comfortable in long boots as feel it stabilises my knees more! I now have spoken with my manager and she advised me to see HR. I have now advised HR of this and basically there is nothing they can do. I have asked if I could be rehoused on the ground floor but there is no room for me. How do I stand with this and what should I do? Long term I feel this will be impacting my health massively. I can even feel pain in my knees when I am driving now too. Help?!

    • Ian Morris

      There is no obligation on an employer to provide an elevator or lift to allow staff to access different floors of a business and it is not unreasonable or unusual to expect someone to be able to climb and descend a few flights of stairs. It would be unfair to force all employers to incur the huge costs needed to retro-fit all workplaces with lifts. Sadly, in your case we cannot see any way that you can attempt to hold your employer liable for the knee problems you have developed as it is unlikely that any medical expert would find that a period of 3 months of walking up and down stairs at work would be the cause. Whilst climbing the stairs may have caused you to notice the problems with your knee, it is likely that a medical expert would indicate that you had a pre-existing condition and a previously diagnosed mechanical issue.

      With regards to your asking the employer to move you to the ground floor, that is a reasonable request. However, there is no obligation to move you to that area if it is not practical for them to do so.

  21. Kedra Ebron

    I injured my knee about a week ago at work. There is a board underneath where an old drawer was removed but that onboard was left. When I hit my knee it caused a contusion and fluid to build up and there is swelling. I have been taken out of work due to severe pain. I was put on cructhes until I see the orthopedics. They said I had some arthritis there that I didn’t know about until xrays from the injury. Will I be compensated or not for this?

    • Ian Morris

      You could seek to make a claim for compensation against the employer for this accident and if you succeed, you will receive a settlement.

      I am a little confused though as to how you suffered your injury? What caused you to bang your knee? If you could explain further, I may be able to offer you a better response as to your prospects with any future claim.

  22. Dan hewlett

    Hi, i dislocated my knee cap on friday the 25th of June. While delivering meat for my employer to Glastonbury festival, the accident occurred at around 10:30 and was caused by a knee high bench behind me that i fell over while carrying 20+kg of meat. I received basic but suitable treatment at the Glastonbury site being advised to visit A&E as soon as possible and was eventually taken back to my place of work a couple miles away. Upon arrival everyone was interested to what had happened including my boss, however nobody took any solid details and nobody logged it in any books. I have visited A&E and they confirmed it was a dislocation, i have proof of all medical treatment i received both immediately after the accident and recent treatment i have received. I have been off for 2 working days now and only worked there for 9 weeks. So firstly should i still get full pay and 2nd if i don’t should i consider a claim? Thank you.

    • Ian Morris

      I am really sorry to hear about your recent accident at Glastonbury whilst working. The liability element of your claim certainly sounds strong.

      Obviously, the lack of any official record of the accident could make things a little more difficult than if it had been recorded, but I would suggest that it is still well within a reasonable time frame to record your accident properly. You should definitely insist that your employers record the details within their accident book and although they are not liable for your injury, they should record it. You should contact the company/vendor to whom you were delivering the meat and see if they have made a record and you could even contact Glastonbury Festival and ask them to make a record.

      In any event, it is certainly worth trying to make a claim for injury compensation and we would be more than happy to help you with that.

Direct2Compensation Personal Injury Claims

Speak with a claims expert

We're happy to answer any questions you might have, or let you know if you are eligible to claim. Just fill out the form below. You can also call us on 01225 430285.