What should I do after an accident at work?

4 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Many companies have proper regulations and procedures in place and should you have an accident at work they will ensure that you receive proper treatment for your injury. It is inevitable in some jobs that accidents will occur, but when they do, your employer should deal with every aspect of the incident professionally. Should your employer not handle your case and injury properly, or was negligent, you may be entitled to compensation.

Employers have legal responsibilities that oblige them to ensure their staff are properly trained, provided with the correct equipment and advised as to how to handle an accident and injury in the workplace.

The right to make a work injury claim exists for any employee who has been hurt in a non-fault accident. Below are some basic guidelines for what to do after an accident at work and at the same time help your compensation claim:

Medical treatment

Clearly, if an injury is sustained, it is vital that good first aid is received and that the injured party is treated by a medical professional.

Report the accident

If you have had an accident at work you need to explain to the employer the exact series of events that caused the accident. Your employer needs to ensure that the incident is recorded properly and that steps are taken to prevent other colleagues from having the same accident.

Record in the accident book

The accident MUST be recorded in the employer’s accident book. If your employer won’t do this or let you see the book, there are actions you can take. Accident book entries should usually be done within minutes and the injured party should contribute to what is written and only sign it when they are happy with the way the accident circumstances have been recorded. If relevant, previous complaints or comments from staff to management about potential hazards that relate to the accident in question should be noted.

The injuries should be described and their cause listed. For example: “Joe has suffered a nasty laceration to his right hand and 3 fingers after it became trapped in the cutting machine on the factory floor. The safety guard was broken and not repaired despite the staff informing Management of the issue. Ambulance called and Joe has been taken to Hospital for treatment. This has been reported to Management”. The injured party should ask for a copy of the accident book entry.

Do not feel that reporting the accident would tarnish the reputation of your company. Your employer is responsible for your safety. He is legally bound to do so. Immediately reporting the accident to your employer will help him curtail such accidents in future by adopting proper safety precautions.

Depending on the type of accident, the employer is legally bound to report it via RIDDOR to the Incident Contact Centre of the HSE, . As your employer is responsible for reporting to the HSE, you should always check to see whether this has been done.

Get witnesses

If possible, obtain the names and addresses of supporting witnesses. Whilst the accident book entry is the main issue in an accident at work claim, having supporting statements from colleagues can provide a stronger prospect of success in certain cases.

If the employer is not convinced with your explanation, it would make sense to bring in witness testimonies in order to verify your story with your employer. The witnesses in this case would most probably be your fellow employees and colleagues. It is highly important for employers to take heed of the events imparted by the employee in case of an accident at work.

Discuss returning to work and your pay

Once medical treatment has been received, talk with the employer as to the situation and the likelihood of any return to work.

If you have experienced a serious accident in the workplace, your pay will definitely be affected, as you might not be able to work. You should talk to your employer about this and check whether they have the scheme for providing additional pay due to the accident, or whether you’ll have to rely on sick pay.

Don’t leave it too late

You have three years in which to put in a claim for any personal injuries that you may have sustained during an accident either in public or in the workplace. However, it is always best to do it sooner rather than leaving it and the event being forgotten about, and to find a solicitor who specialises in accidental injury claims. They can confirm if you are entitled to claim for compensation and give you advice about whether or not to make a claim.

You’re entitled to support

There can be many causes of accidents at work but an employer should do everything in their power to help injured employees claim personal injury or work related compensation. It is also important that business owners or employers give employees the right treatment needed for the accident. Many a time, employees who have had an accident at work need to take leave and time off to recuperate from their injuries. In a situation like this, it is highly important to provide them with adequate relief measures, advice on what they should claim and how.

A good claiming service will understand and impart the right knowledge to the people concerned. With these basic guidelines in the back of your mind, your accident at work claim should be heading in the right track. Don’t be intimidated by the procedure; get professional advice and approach it in the correct way. Your solicitor will handle the case on your behalf and ensure you get the compensation you are entitled to.

4 questions have been answered below, why not ask your own?

Leave a question

Please note we can only deal with claims within the UK legal system. Your question will appear once approved and we'll reply as soon as we can. Your email address will not be published, your name will, so feel free just to use a first name.

Questions & Advice On Claiming

  • Chris

    I work for a large infrastructure company network rail and I have been subject to systematic bullying from management – they suspended me in front of my colleagues which was humiliating and when I was exonerated from all the allegations, they made me re-apply for my position however offered me a rigid alternative of office hours which reduced my pay significantly – they also sent out an investigation letter 10 months after events for persistent lateness instead of exercising flexible policy arrangements and now they have hired a new manager with no emotional intelligence and she spoke to me with no respect even though she knew I was currently going through a grievance, the suspension was traumatic in itself as I have never experienced something as open as that and as someone who now suffers from anxiety solely from work – I now attend counselling for the physiological damage and off work for a further 3 months – I have put through a grievance and wanted to know if compensation is in order even though I’m still employed – I have enough evidence to support all of he above statements

    • Ian Morris

      We have specialist Solicitors who can advise you on your rights in this situation – both in terms of personal injury (work related stress) and employment law – as to whether your employer has acted within the employment law framework in their handling of any suspension, disciplinary process and applications for work etc.

      To get further help, please complete our initial questionnaire and return it to us at justice@direct2compensation.co.uk You can download the initial questionnaire on our ‘stress at work compensation‘ page. Once we have that, we’ll have our specialist Solicitors review the information and they’ll contact you to advise you on your rights and any potential claim against the employer.

  • ismael rivas

    My mother works in the fields picking raspberries. You walk all day long on rough ground (over turned rocky dirt). She has tripped and fell twice. The first time she told the foreman wich according to my mother didn’t bother even to ask her if she was o.k or even write up an accident report. The second time she fell she said that she didn’t even bother to tell him because according to her nothing was done the first time. Well, last Friday she tripped again. This time was bad. After a few co-workers helped up she went and reported the fall. According to my mother, she was asked if she wanted to go home. She asked them to write up an accident report because this time her arm, back and head were hurting. She continued working however she could until the shift was over. This happened on Friday. She doesn’t work on Saturday because she takes care of my sick sister. Sunday she called me saying that she was in pain, was going to call her job and tell them that she was unable to work because of the fall on Friday. She was told that the HR person was not there and that she would receive a call back which didn’t happen. Today is Tuesday, i will be taking her to the ER because she is hurting bad. What should she do?

    • Ian Morris

      Your Mother needs to make sure that the employer has made a record of her injury at work. It is important for employers to keep records of injuries at work and workplace accidents so that they can monitor their actions and minimise the risk of a repeat of any such accident.

      In the UK, workers who are unhappy with their employers approach to health and safety at work can report the employer to the Health & Safety executive if they feel that the employer is failing to uphold their responsibilities with the correct reporting of accidents and employer safety.

      You have asked a good question on this issue. Our article about employer responsibilities regarding injuries at work will give you further information and advice on this subject.

Chat with us for friendly, expert advice 01225 430285